Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

KataraniSword posted:

Oops, right, the Artemis bow was her thunder faithga. :shobon:

I don't think even an Imperil Earth would justify bringing Yang; he's pretty not-very-good. Then again, Meteor Crash would be all he needs, so :shrug:

I think the 20% damage boost for Maria and faster SB gain for hitting a weakness might make it worth it, but that has less to do with Yang and more to do with "Maria BSB is really, really, really good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm a little late to the best BSBs discussion but I don't think I saw any mention of Selphie. The 30% MAG/MND combo buff on entry makes her an incredibly good anchor for a mage team. Especially if you have something like Sheepsong to go on top of it. Plus she can contribute some very respectable damage with the first command which doubles as a dispel, meaning you don't have to fit that in your ability slots.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Off the top of my head, the top 5, no particular order, are Vaan, Firion, Ashe, Maria and Eiko.
can confirm, I have Eiko, Vaan and Firion's BSBs and I bring them pretty much everywhere right now.

I also have Greg and Leon's, which are more situational. Will probably still draw on the BFLD.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Another newbie question, I picked up a Soul of the Hero during this event, should I use that or stockpile? If I do use it, should it be for any particular character, like one of those for whom I've already received a 5* item with a Soul Break attached? I got Tifa's Power Soul with BSB Meteor Crush and Lenna's USB with Princess's Favor in my first 11 pull, so I'd assume one of those two is a priority?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
One's a decent, if low end (Well... probably more moderate; Low end would be, like, one of those Cura+Reraise ones) Medica-and multiple target healing is very good-and the other is a really quite strong beatstick.

You'd do fine getting either, and there's another event coming up tomorrow, so it doesn't really matter the order, you should get another Soul out of that.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Thaddius the Large posted:

Another newbie question, I picked up a Soul of the Hero during this event, should I use that or stockpile? If I do use it, should it be for any particular character, like one of those for whom I've already received a 5* item with a Soul Break attached? I got Tifa's Power Soul with BSB Meteor Crush and Lenna's USB with Princess's Favor in my first 11 pull, so I'd assume one of those two is a priority?

Yes, new players will want to use their Hero Souls and whatever the selectable memory crystal unlocks are on the characters for whom they pull good relics. Get Lenna right now if you don't have another medica (the term the community uses for AE/multitarget heal soul breaks), and Tifa if you do. You'll want to grab both characters ASAP.

Also, the current Keeper's Choice banner 2 (with Ramza's Platinum Sword and Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire) is something you should be rolling on if you don't have Shout or a wall (SG or Yshtola's Stoneskin) already. A white mage with a medica, either of those two effects (wall or haste+boost, with the other provided by your RW), and a few damage-dealers with good SSBs or BSBs is basically the setup you're trying to get rolling for endgame content.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Rad, thanks for the input, grabbing Lenna since I don't really have any healing other than Cure, will aim for Tifa later.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Oof that U++ was a grueling ordeal for the last 30% of HP, really should have brought someone with native Hastega. They've really given us a nice cushion with the repeated adjustments to the calculations for actions taken and damage taken medals, it felt like a fight where I should have lost 2 of both but only lost 1 of each.

It's getting harder and harder to resist the urge to pull on some great banners or hone some high-level skills, can't wait for the Thanksgiving draw and OSBFest to (hopefully) provide some strong BSBs which provide useful burst actions to complement my current hones. 630 Mythril and the equivalent of 2700~ Major Orbs stocked up so far in anticipation of what's to come.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
At long last...my task is done.

Now I'm on the mythril drip with the rest of you schmucks :qq:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

At long last...my task is done.

Now I'm on the mythril drip with the rest of you schmucks :qq:

You're technically ahead of me now since I still have XI dungeons on hold for the stamina refresh. :v:

I'm hoping to pull Yang's claws tomorrow for my Maria's BSB shennanigans. That, combined with future Mog SSB shennanigans, and I'll have an Earth Team going on. :getin:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I've got 7 BSB's... Vaan, Pencil, Eiko, Ramza, Rinoa, Sephiroth, and Aerith. Still gonna totally pull on that Black Friday banner, half price or not.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Edly posted:

As long as you're only spending mythril to run dungeons that give you mythril (which is every story dungeon), you're going to come out net positive on mythril, too. I realize this is a limited resource that eventually runs dry, but it takes a long drat time for that to happen. I've been grinding story dungeons since I started a couple months ago and I'm still only about 75% done.

You actually could end up net positive on mythril in the long-term as well. Spending a few mythril on stamina to chain through the story dungeons can help you get your party up to speed faster, which means you can progress further in events and get more mythril which you would otherwise miss out on.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

rujasu posted:

You actually could end up net positive on mythril in the long-term as well. Spending a few mythril on stamina to chain through the story dungeons can help you get your party up to speed faster, which means you can progress further in events and get more mythril which you would otherwise miss out on.

Yes, but events are also in an unceasing schedule and are largely interchangeable. Like yeah, they're gonna end eventually but that'll also be when the game itself is shut down, at which point it hardly matters if you picked up ten or twenty more Mythril by doing X. And if you quit playing then it also hardly matters.

Speaking of such things, definitely gonna have to jump on that Black Friday Lucky but otherwise I think I'm pretty much on coast and build mode until Minfilia 1. Maybe I'll throw in a pull on one of the OSB banners too but it'll depend on how and if any of them shift the individual SBs on them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I never had a BSB until the half price debuff(?) lucky draw recently and the Vaan BSB is all I have so yeah that lucky draw is absolutely welcome and I look forward to getting probably a 2nd Vaan BSB similar to how every FFXII banner gives me Demonsbane swords. :argh:

Vaan's BSB just shuts down any magic heavy enemy though. Having Ultimate (or harder) enemies do maybe 500 damage per hit while everyone has heavy regen is just lovely.

rujasu posted:

Not really, because you'd be sacrificing mithril for impatience. Grinding out levels on Sundays will do far more for a person's ability to clear content than wasting mithril on stam to run story dungeons an hour to two sooner since "getting up to speed" relies on levels and hones more than the trickle of XP you get from story dungeons. If a person needs XP they need to run the sunday XP dungeons. Use BSB RWs and S/L heavily to punch above your weight if need be. Clear those 3 waves, retreat, repeat until you're able to clear the entire thing.

Don't spend stamina on running story dungeons. Stamina refreshes are potentially worth it in orbfests but that'd be about it, and only when you actually have a lot of stamina to refresh.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Story dungeons don't really give you anything that helps you clear more content until the 100+ difficulty elites when they start consistently giving major orbs, at which point you should be clearing up to the U fights anyway.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
You can't possibly come out positive by spending mythril on refreshes for story dungeons. You might get mythril faster, but you lose a lot doing it. Especially with lower stamina you are just screwing yourself. The dungeons are finite and so is the mythril.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 17, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, I don't really see a gain from mythril refreshing the dungeon.

I mean, if you're having fun, well, games are for fun. :v: Go for it, it's not like it's going to be a screamingly huge deal long term.

But as far as raw power gaming goes, the mythril will still be there, there's always going to be another great banner to draw on, and the odds that the one mythril you spend to make 2.5, maybe 3 or so more mythril will make enough short term benefit to outweigh the long term drain is pretty low.

To boot, you're a lot, lot, lot more likely early on, when there's two Stamina Shard dungeons, to accidentally waste stamina shard->gem full stamina refreshes if you're doing stamina refreshes with Mythril, and chaining these as often as you can is the key to getting a lot of power really fast(and also playing a lot of RK early on for no Mythril cost!).

Incidentally, big :frogsiren: for any new player related to that; When you reach Tyro's MC1 in the classic dungeon, go back and start doing Elites. Do not advance the classic dungeon until you get all the two Stamina Shard dungeons down out of the elites!

It's way better for efficiency to just drain all the big stamina shard gains out ASAP and get 100+ stamina as soon as you can. Stamina's a big power thing, though it may not feel like it.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 17, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay, how the gently caress do you do the Tonberries? I can handle the Tonberries themselves just fine, they're no problem. The problem is that when the Tonberry King shows up, I'm completely out of hones on everything I have, and then he just stabs me to death repeatedly while I can barely damage him. Here's who I've got:

Locke: Thief's Revenge (R2), Lifesiphon (R3)
Tidus: Dismissal (R3), Lifesiphon (R3)
Lightning: Powerchain (R3), Full Charge (R3)
Selphie: Protectga, Curaja
Tyro: Slowga, Halting Rumba

Locke has Valiant Strike, Tidus has Slice and Dice, Lightning has Crushing Blow, Tyro has SG, Selphie has Dreamstage.

Is it just a matter of me needing more hones, or am I doing something wrong here?

e: I realize Tyro has no offensive skills in my party, which probably cuts damage down significantly, but I don't know how else to make a party while still filling the medal requirements. Locke/Tidus/Lightning are the only 3 Celerity users I have at a decent level, I know Rikku gets Dancer, so maybe I just need to level different guys?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Bring tempo flurry for slow. It's a 3 star ability and does respectable damage on its own.

Other than that yeah probably just need more hones.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I ran out of hones on Tonberry King but still beat him. The key is to have a lot of good damaging SSBs to get him with. You have to get him fast before Junk wrecks the entire party. It's annoying but using regular attacks on the Stopped tonberries while they're sitting ducks is probably a decent strategy too. But I wouldn't do it without R5 Tempo Flurry and R4 Dismissal at least.

Also, you only need one healer. Protect literally only helps against Junk, and while it's nice, it's hardly necessary if you get a little lucky. Just have Tyro with Curaja and Halting Rumba, in my opinion.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
U++ cleared. :toot:

RW was a Gilgamesh BSB. This was my third party/RW configuration, and it took a couple of S/L attempts, but I eventually managed to get everything to line up where I had enough mitigation up that he couldn't hurt me while Vaan, Rinoa and Basch dismantled him with Burst commands and counterattacks. Speaking of which:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Vaan's BSB just shuts down any magic heavy enemy though.

Being able to completely shut down those AoE spells on the turns magic blink was down was what basically made this doable. Between Ark Blast, Keeper's Tome and Full Break, I was able to knock the damage down from 3k per hit to 3 digit hits.

Shock Trooper posted:

I've got 7 BSB's... Vaan, Pencil, Eiko, Ramza, Rinoa, Sephiroth, and Aerith. Still gonna totally pull on that Black Friday banner, half price or not.

16 BSB's. Firion, Leon, P. Cecil, Bartz, Faris, Terra, Aerith, Sephiroth, Squall, Rinoa, Zidane, Eiko, Tidus, Vaan, Fang, Tyro.

Still gonna pull on the Lucky Draw. :shepface:

Shame there's no RM to give Combat abilities a chance to trigger twice.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
My really dumb Tonberry strategy since I'm stingy with hones was Stop locking the first Tonberry with Fran and the Stop spell and just building SB gauge by autobattling. You can technically save the actions taken medal and just Hit&Run the Tonberries instead by giving her the Black Mage RM or a Dancer Mog's RM2. Depends on whether you have good Celerity SBs though, but Lightning's SSB should do well for the Tonberries and Locke's for the King.

How much damage is the Tonberry King's stab doing (doink maybe? The fixed damage attack) ? I think the formula is something like 1111 + n/5*1111 where n is the amount of steps taken by the Tonberries in the previous phase. This is sorta the deciding factor on whether Junk or Stab is more dangerous, but with Tyro's SG Junk shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Wow. I've got Cloud, Squall, Bartz, Leon and Faris's BSBs and thought I was still pretty lucky.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 17, 2016

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Jeez you probably have more BSBs than I do SSBs. :v:

Is there a consensus on best RM4 after Luneth's, Or has everyone else just focused on unlocking their best characters?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Whew, Necrophobe down. Juggling doom was a royal pain in the rear end. Wrath Rosa was great because Necrophobe deals crap damage for the first several turns, letting Rosa use Wrath 4 times before healing duty started. Faris's Kindred Spirit was pretty useful too because it activated both of the back barriers' doom triggers.

One person still died in the end because Nightmare Flare targetted the same person twice in a row, but ended up with Mastery anyway. :toot:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I heard Cloud's usually thrown around as #2(30% bonus to physical attacks with Swords). Zidane/Agrias/Celes(40% boost to Thief/Knight/Spellblade) can be pretty darned worthwhile too, especially if you use any of those three.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

kalensc posted:

Jeez you probably have more BSBs than I do SSBs. :v:

Is there a consensus on best RM4 after Luneth's, Or has everyone else just focused on unlocking their best characters?

Celes is quite popular with a good spellblade other than that whatever characters you use yeah

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So here's my situation: I'm spoiled for choice.

On a lark pull of the Keeper 2 banner, I finally got the Platinum Sword I spent 300 mithril chasing back in the day. Now I've got wall (SG), Shout (Ramza), and a magic blink medica (Selphie).

For offensive BSBs, I've got -
Physical: Cloud, Bartz, Fang, Sephiroth
Support: Faris, Vaan
Magic: Terra

For other stuff that matters... Lightning, Agrias, Laguna, and Fran SSBs, medicas on Penelo, Yuna, Lenna, Ramza, and Yuffie, Apocalypse Shield on Basch, off the top of my head.

Basically, I think I'm finally at the point where I no longer have a "best party" and instead have the luxury to mix and match a team depending on the specific encounter and what skills are called for. A few teambuilding advice questions...

1) Should I be running native Shout and SG most of the time? If I'm not using Tyro for healing (Selphie) or support (Ramza), what should I be using him for? Should I be RWing content-relevant SSB/BSB/OSBs, should I drop Tyro and be RWing wall, or should I drop Ramza, run Faris, and RW Shout?

2) Do I have the team-comp where it's actually worth honing Tornado Strike? Wind seems to be the best synergy I've got going, with Fang's imperil BSB and Bartz having a wind renzo, so is that the way to go? Should I grab the Oath Veil for this from the Keeper 2 list, or will the defense on that suck too bad to make it useful? Is there any wind synergy gear - either boosting equipment or good SBs - I should be keeping an eye out for in the future?

3) Basically, is there anything else that pops out to you guys that I should be trying to exploit or take advantage of?

I guess I'm looking for guidance on what to hone, and general strategies, noting that I already have the "basics" especially among sub-5* poo poo (3/4* spellblades, Full Break, Saint Cross, Lifesiphons, etc)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

1) Should I be running native Shout and SG most of the time? If I'm not using Tyro for healing (Selphie) or support (Ramza), what should I be using him for? Should I be RWing content-relevant SSB/BSB/OSBs, should I drop Tyro and be RWing wall, or should I drop Ramza, run Faris, and RW Shout?

Honestly Wall isn't nearly as crucial as it once was. I rarely have Tyro in my party anymore and I never RW Wall. Run party members with debuff SBs and Wall becomes unnecessary

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

SageAcrin posted:

I heard Cloud's usually thrown around as #2(30% bonus to physical attacks with Swords). Zidane/Agrias/Celes(40% boost to Thief/Knight/Spellblade) can be pretty darned worthwhile too, especially if you use any of those three.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Celes is quite popular with a good spellblade other than that whatever characters you use yeah

Cool, thanks! I almost always run a Knight and Spellblade so I'll reserve some MC3s for Agrias and Celes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Dammit, I was down to the last sliver of health on Kaiser Dragon, had gotten the water/lightning requirements, and I accidentally pressed attack instead of defend with Krile.

But at least I know I can do it. Now I just gotta keep trying again and again until I get lucky.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dammit, I was down to the last sliver of health on Kaiser Dragon, had gotten the water/lightning requirements, and I accidentally pressed attack instead of defend with Krile.

But at least I know I can do it. Now I just gotta keep trying again and again until I get lucky.

I'm always hastey with my bsb commands so I've pressed normal attack or defend out of a bsb so many god drat times, and it feels just so bad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

loving kaiser dragon. First time I slaughtered him but the water weakness never came up, second time I got both but he got spam happy with flares star and I lost enough stars I didn't master it. gently caress it kaiser, you "won".

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Errr is there some mechanic with this Nightmare Rubicante fight that I'm missing? He put up his cape and stayed that way for like 5 minutes straight, which pretty much locked me out of doing anything because I brought a bunch of skills to exploit his weaknesses thinking that he'd just be cycling through his modes once in a while like most other bosses that have a gimmick like that. Does he not ever put his cape back down?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
It's random, I think.

I ended up just grabbing a Maria BSB RW and using that for the majority of the damage. For whatever reason, Earth isn't resisted or absorbed or anything so it worked out pretty well. Avoids physical counters and the stupid cape gimmick messing with Water/Ice, although he does have higher RES with the cape closed.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Errr is there some mechanic with this Nightmare Rubicante fight that I'm missing? He put up his cape and stayed that way for like 5 minutes straight, which pretty much locked me out of doing anything because I brought a bunch of skills to exploit his weaknesses thinking that he'd just be cycling through his modes once in a while like most other bosses that have a gimmick like that. Does he not ever put his cape back down?

It's strictly RNG afaik

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

He has a 30/100 chance of removing his cape on his first turn. It then goes to 30/99, 30/98 and so on until he finally drops it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Well I just S/Led and beat him without him ever *raising* his cape this time :psyduck:

I must have been incredibly unlucky the first time, I got 2 actions in with each person and then he raised it and kept it up for the entire rest of the fight until he chipped me to death since all of my skills would either get absorbed, countered, or do like 500 damage.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I really ought to learn to read the goddamn boss mastery requirements. Just did Atlas Ult+++ without Slowing him. Though at least I only missed out on some upgrade mats I already have hundreds of. :v:

Unexpected MVP: Josef and his Ice/NE SSB that has a 40% Medica attached to it. poo poo is actually pretty drat good, and he can tote Lifesiphon and Breakdowns to go with it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Holy poo poo Jenova Death's Red Light is one-shotting my level 80 healer even through Shell, Ark Blast, and Magic Breakdown :stare:

Might have to revisit this when I have more than 1 fire resistance accessory. Insane speed + instant KO moves are not gonna work out for me even with a shitload of resetting, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Holy poo poo Jenova Death's Red Light is one-shotting my level 80 healer even through Shell, Ark Blast, and Magic Breakdown :stare:

Might have to revisit this when I have more than 1 fire resistance accessory. Insane speed + instant KO moves are not gonna work out for me even with a shitload of resetting, I think.

It's funny, because this set of pre-Nightmare fights is like a showcase of some of the worst shits in the game. Leviathan III, Rubicante and Jenova Death all have something absolutely terrible about their AI routine. They've pretty much always been like this, even if the numbers used to be a bit lower. :v:

Only thing really missing is some AoE status effect fucko like Lunasaurs or Mandragoras.

• Locked thread