Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

OmegaBR posted:

That part was way too convenient. It's not that hard to believe that the show's production would be isolated, but this guy, dressed as Pigman, was given strict instructions to show up on the doorstep, in broad daylight, with no communication from the crew? Come on now.

He wasn't given any instructions. He was told he'd be messing with the cast at the house, and he'd be called for. Because the producers died, no one called. He showed up on his own so that there'd be no cause for the producers to claim a breach of contract and not pay him (or worse fine him).

Maybe he knew he was going to play a Pigman though. That or he REALLY showed some enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I liked the kids

:shrug:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

The most annoying part of this episode for me was all the goddamned shakey cam/GoPro footage. That was annoying as poo poo.

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

On a separate note, did the rigged scares ever come into play? I kept expecting the cast to accidentally trigger the explosive sink or the shattering glass, but I don't think they ever came into play.

No, and they had the perfect opportunity when those kids were in the control room:

- Oh no, Lee is going to the house we have to do something!
- Hey look, here's a console with all the rooms in the house labeled, maybe it's an intercom?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Have the rigged scares actually contribute to the death or escape of a character. Make one give away their position or force them to run into a room full of real ghosts. Just do something that adds a bit of narrative texture beyond BAD GHOSTS KILL EVERYONE DIE.

You can see why the actors come back year after year though. Every season the stories become more abstract, fractal and removed from basic storytelling conventions. The only thing that's really left to focus on is the performances. It's the ultimate luvvie placater.

Previous seasons make a lot more sense if you imagine them as conceptual acting challenges, a season like Freakshow where everyone is evil and unappealing. Great for the actors to explore their roles but horrible for an audience to actually try to care about.

'This year darlings, you're all going to be playing TWO characters! Just think how much range you'll get to show off!' No not you Cathy and Sarah you can play THREE! Double death scenes for everyone horray!

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 15, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

While this season has been a huge change of pace from the previous ones (which were so campy that it was rarely ever a horror show), I have to say that there's a lot of wasted potential. Things like the rigged scares never went anywhere and comments about having actors dressed as the ghosts returning got us nothing but a single guy showing up (who died almost immediately afterward), we still haven't had Mason's death definitively explained after 9 out of 10 episodes, the producer's motivation for putting Lee in the show (to get her to confess) seems to have been forgotten about because he gets killed one episode later, etc.

While I do like that we're not getting the show dragged out, it's almost too short and not having enough payoff. Episodes 7 through 9 didn't really do anything too unique for the genre and were basically just a stretched-out slasher film with some uncomfortable bits and weird sex stuff. Hotel may be unintentionally hilarious, but it's got some kind of soul to it by comparison.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
I prefer Hotel 100x over this. It was hilarious and completely vapid as well as violent at times (vampire measles brats, psycho detective, Drilldo) but you still had those delicious characters and I sort of loved how stylized it was.

I was really intrigued by this season until about the 6th episode? When they went back to the house with the crew. It's true that the whole deal with the props and controlled scares meant nothing, which is kind of annoying.

At the very least, I'm looking forward to seeing Lana Winters again for the finale.
I'm wondering, is Lee a legit minion now, or was she just a minion for the night? What if she ended up buying the house? What if she ended up bringing blood moon sacrifices there ?

Did Murphy say something about this tying into Coven, as in there will be a return to Coven as well?

Also, I think Emma Roberts would've been a much better choice in terms of impaling for the teen involvement poo poo.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

MadSparkle posted:

I was really intrigued by this season until about the 6th episode? When they went back to the house with the crew. It's true that the whole deal with the props and controlled scares meant nothing, which is kind of annoying.

I think the point with that scene was character building, just showing that Sidney was hellbent on getting drama in the house by any means and would stoop to any lows. He had also rigged the TV to randomly play the Elias tapes, locked up a married couple with the man the wife had had an affair with, and harassed a dangerous psychiatric patient into a murderous rage.

It could have been a funny joke to have cheap carnival effects play as the kids push buttons trying to warn Monet and Audrey, but it could also have been really stupid and out of place. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually shot a scene with it and figured that it didn't work.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Purno posted:

No, and they had the perfect opportunity when those kids were in the control room:

- Oh no, Lee is going to the house we have to do something!
- Hey look, here's a console with all the rooms in the house labeled, maybe it's an intercom?

Meta commentary on horror movie viewers

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking forward to the ending, this season was short and sweet.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Wow, we have a new contender for the worst accent in the series.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Where was she supposed to be from? London? Maybe the dirty murderous hillbilly will shoot her and spare us all anymore of her interesting accent.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010
Uhh, I don't think they could have gotten away with snowing Season 2 on TV...

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

The woman with the English/Irish/hillbilly/Jamaican accent was supposed to be from London, yeah.

And there is no way the second season "aired". LOL

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This is so boring. At least it had Trixie Mattel :shobon:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I have no idea how to take this episode but I have a feeling I'm not going to like it when it's over :geno:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HungryMedusa posted:

The woman with the English/Irish/hillbilly/Jamaican accent was supposed to be from London, yeah.

And there is no way the second season "aired". LOL

FX would be happy to air it :v:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Did we really need a clip show of a nine episode season? Jesus this is loving boring.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HungryMedusa posted:

Wow, we have a new contender for the worst accent in the series.

I came here to post just that. What the gently caress was that and how could they not find someone better?

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Imagine how terrible television must be in the world of American Horror Story if "My Roanoke Nightmare" was that popular.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how the reporter from season 2 is interviewing Lee.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Oh, and here is yet another show. Ugh.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

They are doing MORE reality tv? Really?

Why are there still Ghost House tv shows when THERE IS EVIDENCE OF ACTUAL GHOSTS IN THIS VERY HOUSE. The rumors are real, just stop going to that stupid house already!

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 17, 2016

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

They are doing MORE reality tv? Really?

Why are there still Ghost House tv shows when THERE IS EVIDENCE OF ACTUAL GHOSTS IN THIS VERY HOUSE. The rumors are real, just stop going to that stupid house already!

Not only that, but how is America not freaking out about how ghosts are real and will kill you at any opportunity?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I don't care what y'all say, I'm happier watching fake ghost shows and interviews than I was with the last three season finales.

And Cricket is back!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I stopped watching this show a few seasons ago but started again with this one. It was a mistake. This show is so stupid it makes me feel good about watching the Walking Dead.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Lmao you are all joyless fucks this is great

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
"A girl needs her mother" lol that's just the opposite of the season 2 line Bloody face would say.

Lee dies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ghosts ain't taking no poo poo anymore blood moons!

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Not enough Mott ghost. 3/5.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

The end should have been more and more military response to the ghosts. With the Army flooding in and having a shootout while every ghost tears them apart.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What do the ghosts do all year long? Do they really have to harvest ethereal plants?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Even by AHS standards that was a terrible finale.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shouldn't have fully pulled back the veil at the end, story should have been entirely secondhand. Last segment felt like it belonged in a different season.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I liked this season. It was fun. I'd prefer to not think too much about the finale because I'm sure the more I do the more I'll dislike it, but it was the most fun I've had since the Stevie Nicks episode when I realized this show is actually terrible.

No intro though :smith:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unsurprisingly the majority of posters in a TVIV thread are loving tasteless idiots. This was a great wrap to the show, and probably the best thing that this team has done, even including American Crime Story.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I actually enjoyed this finale, and the season as a whole. It's the most I've liked the show since Asylum.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sector_corrector posted:

Unsurprisingly the majority of posters in a TVIV thread are loving tasteless idiots. This was a great wrap to the show, and probably the best thing that this team has done, even including American Crime Story.

I thought that was one of the cleanest endings they ever did.

The first couple, dead
The actors, dead
Lee, dead
Police rescuing Flora, about to be DEAD...

poo poo the ghost villagers were going that way! Lee couldn't help her! She was so dead in like 5 minutes.

Flora, looking like shes gonna be dead.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

sector_corrector posted:

I involuntarily exclaimed "What?!" out loud to an empty room after reading this statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tenzarin posted:

I thought that was one of the cleanest endings they ever did.

The first couple, dead
The actors, dead
Lee, dead
Police rescuing Flora, about to be DEAD...

This is true and it did a great job tying up loose ends, however I think it would have been way better (Or at least way less scattershot) if they only spent five minutes establishing what happened to Lee in the interim before spending the rest of the finale alone in the house trying to get her daughter back

• Locked thread