Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Someone convince me to drop thirtybux having the local liquor outlet order me up a bottle of Smith & Cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Butch Cassidy posted:

Someone convince me to drop thirtybux having the local liquor outlet order me up a bottle of Smith & Cross.

do it

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My local area can't order it in, I had to find some in a city 3 hours away.

Don't waste your opportunity :colbert:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
It's $27 for me at a liquor store an hour away, and it's still an easy decision.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah do it, $30 is about right or maybe a little pricey but it's totally worth it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think I paid around 35ish USD for my bottle. No regrets.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Swung by before work. Clerk said Tuesday at the earliest if her boss orders it tomorrow. :f5:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

When I get around to having the Liquor Commission order me a new bottle of something they don't carry in the local outlets, would Leblon be worth requesting? Seems to be the only cachaça carried in the state. Not dropping the :retrogames: to commit to a case of anything else with a state-wide stocking request.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I say do it. Leblon tastes a little like Wray and Nephew, but milder and with a grassy, mineral thing that reminds me of good tequila. (No agave taste, though.)

I had some this afternoon in some ginger beer with a little lime. Good drink.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Leblon is gonna have to wait. Just blew my non-Smith & Cross fun budget on a bottle of Bully Boy Boston rum to give my father and Barbancourt 15 year for myself. Also bottle each Dolin dry and rouge.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Still no call for the likker outlet. I want my Smith & Cross, damnit. Gonna have to head over tomorrow and see if the what's up. Guessing the clerk never passed on the note.

E: The order never came in. Had to go through three clerks to get a new order put through.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 17, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm gonna bump this thread because I had a smith n cross + reeds extra ginger brew for my birthday and it's still the best dark and stormy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I'm gonna bump this thread because I had a smith n cross + reeds extra ginger brew for my birthday and it's still the best dark and stormy.

Happy birthday.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Happy birthday.

Thanks. :3:

I still haven't really hit my stride with rum like I did with whiskey and gin; just sip mt gay xo every once in a while and toss smith and cross into ginger beer or an old fashioned but hey, it's been good to me.

...man, smith and cross hits hard.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Liquor commission has decided to stock Cruzan blackstrap. Need to decide what my celebratory first drink will be.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

Liquor commission has decided to stock Cruzan blackstrap. Need to decide what my celebratory first drink will be.

Dark and stormy. Fresh lime juice, strong ginger beer (or even alcoholic ginger beer) and your Cruzan

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Missing Name posted:

Dark and stormy. Fresh lime juice, strong ginger beer (or even alcoholic ginger beer) and your Cruzan

:agreed:

That said, I could use some suggestions for other cocktails. I like the strong molasses flavor, but it does tend to overshadow other ingredients in the drink. I wonder if it might work better in smaller quantities as a sweetener, the way things like Cointreau or Maraschino are often used, rather than as the primary spirit.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

:agreed:

That said, I could use some suggestions for other cocktails. I like the strong molasses flavor, but it does tend to overshadow other ingredients in the drink. I wonder if it might work better in smaller quantities as a sweetener, the way things like Cointreau or Maraschino are often used, rather than as the primary spirit.

I feel like a lot of tiki drinks use it that way--maybe look up some of those? I don't have specific recommendations unfortunately but don't be fooled by the pineapple, tiki drinks can be complex and tasty.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lol gently caress a dark and stormy, make a Corn and oil http://imbibemagazine.com/corn-n-oil/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I enjoy a good rum but hadn't bought any in years but while in the liquor store some hodad sold me on a locally made, Carolina Coast spiced rum. It is interesting, not like any rum I've had before. Quite spicy really with heavy notes of cinnamon and molasses. I don't dislike it but at $25 I can buy better rums.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Good news: apparently the restrictions on bringing back Cuban rum (and cigars) to the USA were just completely removed, so you can bring back as much as you want for personal consumption.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Great news if you have a trip planned to Cuba. Everyone else gets to keep waiting to order it. :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Two new additions: Berry Brothers & Rudd Carribean XO, which is Caroni rum from Trinidad, and Penny Blue from Mauritius. Penny Blue is also by BBR.

I have to say these independently bottled rums are very good. Rum Nation and now BBR have been very good to me. :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Don't get whaler rum.

Smells great, tastes like nothing, who knows if it's even aged.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
At long last, I've finally picked up a bottle of Smith & Cross. Good stuff. Dark and stormy aside, what do people like to mix it with?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Nothing. Quit being a pussy.

Nah, I kid. While I do love S&C in any form, an old fashioned is definitely the way to go. S&C, some simple syrup and some bitters to taste. It is the goddamn poo poo.

As for my own content, second to the aforementioned S&C old fashioned, my new favorite cocktail is this:
https://therumhowlerblog.com/2016/02/17/cocktail-hour-the-high-test-daiquiri/
With a fresh squeezed lime and a decent triple-sec, it is simply amazing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
On the one hand that sounds really good cus I loving love daiquiris. On the other hand, gently caress a 3/8 oz measurement, I'll just use a quarter oz or half oz and call it even.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Oh absolutely. I just use 1.5 tsp of 2:1 syrup, since that's what I keep on hand. I would also probably use 0.5oz of 1:1 and call it good. I also tend to pour more towards 2oz of rum.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Let's say I like bourbon. What's a decent, aged rum to pick up and try?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Vox Nihili posted:

El Dorado 12 would be my suggestion.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mount Gay Black Barrel is aged in bourbon barrels and a solid rum. It's priced fairly, mixes well enough, can be alright neat, and makes a good old fashioned.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

As a person who came from liking bourbon, I gotta say my standbys are Zaya and Pyrat. Zaya is super friendly, full of vanilla, and quite mild & sweet. Pyrat has a distinct orange note and can taste a little more syrupy. Both are under $30 where I live, and both are friendly enough to mix with and not totally dominate if you aren't a huge fan--though I have to say, neat is the only way I drink them anymore because they are both so nice on their own.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

El Dorado is a very good suggestion. I would also suggest a Zacapa 23. That's the rum that got me into rums. Very sweet, vanilla-y with strong raisin notes, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg etc. Excellent stuff.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Ralith posted:

At long last, I've finally picked up a bottle of Smith & Cross. Good stuff. Dark and stormy aside, what do people like to mix it with?
I know this thread favors it in Old Fashioneds, but I feel rum doesn't stand up to bitters nearly as well as American Whiskey does. If you're looking to get to know a rum but it's too potent to drink neat, I prefer to do a Ti' Punch preparation. Mix a couple ounces with a teaspoon of turbinado simple syrup and give a small lime round a quick squeeze over it (like 6-10 drops of juice). You will still get the built drink experience of seeing it change as it chills and dilutes, and I think the base character of the rum comes through better this way.

Navy rums like S&C obviously take well to grog preparations as well. Just shake a couple ounces with a half ounce each of turbinado simple and lime juice. It makes for a very accessible cocktail that doesn't require anything special and doesn't totally mute the rum.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

tonedef131 posted:

I know this thread favors it in Old Fashioneds, but I feel rum doesn't stand up to bitters nearly as well as American Whiskey does. If you're looking to get to know a rum but it's too potent to drink neat, I prefer to do a Ti' Punch preparation. Mix a couple ounces with a teaspoon of turbinado simple syrup and give a small lime round a quick squeeze over it (like 6-10 drops of juice). You will still get the built drink experience of seeing it change as it chills and dilutes, and I think the base character of the rum comes through better this way.

Navy rums like S&C obviously take well to grog preparations as well. Just shake a couple ounces with a half ounce each of turbinado simple and lime juice. It makes for a very accessible cocktail that doesn't require anything special and doesn't totally mute the rum.
I actually do like S&C neat, I'm just interested in other preparations that put it to good use as well. I'll give those a try, thanks!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
One trick for a better rum Old Fashioned is to use orange bitters instead of (or in combination with) angostura

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Could also use capillaire or citrus zest infused syrup in place of the sugar.

Anyone got a good hot buttered rum recipe? I've yet to be truly content with one. Serious Eats has a promising batter I'd like to tinker with but is too sweet and overly spiced like it is trying to cover rough rum. The nutmeg also gets buried where I prefer it to be front and center.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Butch Cassidy posted:

Anyone got a good hot buttered rum recipe? I've yet to be truly content with one. Serious Eats has a promising batter I'd like to tinker with but is too sweet and overly spiced like it is trying to cover rough rum. The nutmeg also gets buried where I prefer it to be front and center.

I like this, adapted from the Zig Zag Cafe's recipe:
pre:
1 cup ice cream
1/4 lb butter
3/4 tbsp cinnamon
         nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup powdered sugar
        brown sugar
Mix until smooth
Keep frozen

TO SERVE:
2-3 Tbsp. batter
2oz dark rum
4oz hot water

Pre-warm glass
Add rum and batter, stir to combine
Add hot water, stir to combine
Top with whipped cream and fresh grated nutmeg
It's great with Zaya. I'll be trying it with S&C at some point out of morbid curiosity.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
Anyone got a suggestion for a good entry into the world of rhum agricole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus
May 6, 2008
I'd recommend Rhum Barbancourt 8-year. Tasty and it's very affordable, around 20 USD.

• Locked thread