Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pastis needs to embrace his desire to make puns even if they mean he only fills three panels. Groans never stopped Andy Zaltman's pun runs. This one lasted about five minutes... three and a half minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b0MewQeNjQ

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 17, 2016

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Taking another look at the original story, I was surprised at the kinds of records they were keeping in the 1960s.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

How exactly is dumping all of your fuel going to help?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Uuuuuh anyone know what color lava is supposed to be?"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know that is supposed to be a 747 because of the bumpy thing where the cockpit and first class would be. And that it's a -400 because of the winglets. But the wings and engine really look off. Like "what's a reference photo?" off. There's other stuff, those top and bottom lines should be running parallel for most of the body of the fuselage. And why would you make the very end of the plane look like a thimble?

I can imagine him drawing that in one go and thinking.

"It's true, I DO have a superior recall for all things aeronautic. It's by virtue of my trans-continental journeys to sample cosmopolitan life across the globe. I was and remain praised for my talented hand for I am blessed by the goddesses Brigid and Athena!

Hmm, I missed an opportunity to make the fore and aft look more like glans. Next time, Brooke. Next time."

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 17, 2016

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 3, 1994)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

So, we're supposed to be cheering for the health inspector, right?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's supposed to be good guys and bad guys here. I guess we'll see once Mark leaves if they complain about regulations or whatever.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
As far as I remember Gene's whole thing is that he and his family just work so hard (because they have to, because he and his wife constantly choose the most laborious and financially insecure jobs). Their young daughter has a complex about making and hoarding money and they're just like "Oh she's so cute, helping out with her little chickens," ignorant that she basically lies awake at night running mental projections of her egg revenue over the next quarter year. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but not by much.

They seem like they're friends with the health inspector so I doubt he's going to be the monster, but I bet they'll be shut down and fined and it'll be portrayed as "gosh we just try so hard to make a living, but we get blocked at every turn!!" instead of "welp we hosed up big time."

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

I guess Mike came across this video and decided it was obscure enough for him to steal for a joke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2hy0L5lgg

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Batman and Robin

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The fact that Lester draws a steady, probably very sizable, paycheck for this horseshit infuriates me to no end.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

You've probably heard that South Korea has pretty brutal working hours that frequently go beyond the legal limits. What you may not know is that people inside this system complain about it constantly. It's enabled more by political factors than cultural ones. If you heard about the million person protest in Seoul lately, that wasn't just because of the whole cult leader thing. People have been really, really pissed at the country's conservative leaders for a very long time.

...But I've never actually been in this culture so be warned that I'm kind of sort of guessing at what a lot of the intent is supposed to be in this comic.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (October 25, 1951)

Nancy (December 9, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (August 8, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (September 6, 1923)

Lil' Abner (May 6, 1937)

Barney Google (September 7, 1922)

Alley Oop (December 7, 1933)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

treasureplane posted:

Lil' Abner (May 6, 1937)

There is surprisingly little tension in this strip about murderous hillbillies.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Long hours, may or may not get paid. South Korea sounds like a hellish place to work.

F Minus

Gross.

Also, I feel like I remember a "salt lick" version of this joke with deer in another comic.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

The tamest strip club I've ever seen. I bet they'll still get letters.

Secret Agent X-9

They introduced the boy, so it's time to introduce the dame who is good but has been caught up in a scheme for reasons beyond her control and therefore appears bad at first.

Apartment 3-G

Jesus Christ ladies can't the man have a moment's peace?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Long hours, may or may not get paid. South Korea sounds like a hellish place to work.

I think the last panel was actually "get paid on time", but that wasn't stated explicitly and the implicit parts translate too clunkily into English. But yeah, it's not good.

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

The tamest strip club I've ever seen. I bet they'll still get letters.

Can't you read? It's a Gentleman's Club, which is completely different so of course your female co-workers have no cause to throw a hissy fit just because all the important business deals get made there.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.

So, it seems to me like Greg might be foreshadowing something interesting in this comic with the possibility of Brad or Toni getting hurt or killed in the wildfire. If he did, I’ll actually start to like Luann. Not in a masochistic way, but it would definitely deviate from the status quo of boring that is Luann.

Who am I kidding though, this will always be bland as poo poo.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm putting my imaginary money on Brad getting killed.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
TJ burning down the house.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The guy that can't keep his huge mouth shut gets killed and they do a combination wedding/funeral.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

SnotGrumble posted:

So, it seems to me like Greg might be foreshadowing something interesting in this comic with the possibility of Brad or Toni getting hurt or killed in the wildfire. If he did, I’ll actually start to like Luann. Not in a masochistic way, but it would definitely deviate from the status quo of boring that is Luann.

Who am I kidding though, this will always be bland as poo poo.

I'm calling this - Brad gets hit by a tree or some-such, and the doctors aren't sure if he'll ever walk again. Through painful therapy, he learns again, and his first walk without crutches is down the wedding aisle. Then I barf.
Meanwhile, Luann notices Tiffany's bright red lipstick! What a mean whore!

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Last night I had a dream about a cowboy-themed Funky Winkerbean spin-off titled "Braisin' Chitlins".
I blame this thread.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Pentaro posted:

Last night I had a dream about a cowboy-themed Funky Winkerbean spin-off titled "Braisin' Chitlins".
I blame this thread.

"Lately I can't stay in the saddle. Reckon it's the cancer?"
"Reckon so."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pentaro posted:

I blame this thread.

In an unexpected twist, the wife is a ghost from the 1880's who got cancer after dying.
E:FB

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Man, given the way that Ces is knocking the legs out from under all the storylines, I wouldn't be surprised if Wurst is dropping off a bomb to whack the Judge.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze manages to almost, but not quite, tell a joke.

Jesus christ, I basically wrote this comic in my last edit. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758296&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=334#post466207898

Stop reading the thread, Scott!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

I'm putting my imaginary money on Brad getting killed.

They need them alive so they can use the wedding dress.

Hideously disfigured from burns though...

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Bleh, don't catch that, it's a pretty rubbish tier cat. Even Skitty's better than that thing.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

goatface posted:

They need them alive so they can use the wedding dress.

Maybe this is the launch of another fun community-input event.

'Help design Brad's funeral outfit!'

Or burying Toni in the wedding dress? That would be Batiuk-level brutal.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (November 2, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 15-16, 1930)

Thimble Theater (June 6, 1930)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (August, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1916)

Guess If They Are Married! (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (March, 1935, click for big))

Me at every movie:

They'll Do It Every Time (February, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (July, 1940)

Tweedy (September, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1967)

Feiffer (1969, click for big)

Andy Capp (November, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Slammy posted:

Me at every movie:

Nice ponytail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

We're supposed to be so pissed at the date rapist paparazzi dude for ruining Mason's relationship by filming an innocent drive to see somebody's sainted mother. Dude's ruining his own relationship. He knows the girlfriend hates this woman and thinks she's trying to get in Mason's pants. So why's he driving off someplace alone with her without running it past the girlfriend first? If the girlfriend dumps him because she can't trust him, it's justified because he's behaving in an untrustworthy manner. Moron.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

I guess Stan Lee heard that shawarma scene was popular.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

• Locked thread