Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

Currently I think it's all DLC cars since the Red Pack and the GT3 cars that are TM10. And TM10 sucks so....

Yeah I preferred 7 tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I have another copy of AMS that if someone wants just PM me.

Edit: Sent.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 26, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This is a weird thing that just popped up on Steam, there's effectively a Project CARS demo with some Pagani cars, the Nurburgring Nordschleife, Monza and Azure Coast (the one that isn't fake Monaco). Probably not hugely interesting to most people here but if you haven't tried the burning tire fire that is PCars it's worth a look. Also free Nordschleife.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I have a Logitech DFGT and am still using the crappy pedals it comes with and I have a problem with the throttle pedal maxing out before I've fully pushed it down, it goes to about 15% before the end and is on full go. Anyone know how to calibrate the pedals? I might try and pick up some G25/27 pedals on the cheap somewhere. the DFGT is pretty good apart from the pedals.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

cool new Metroid game posted:

I have a Logitech DFGT and am still using the crappy pedals it comes with and I have a problem with the throttle pedal maxing out before I've fully pushed it down, it goes to about 15% before the end and is on full go. Anyone know how to calibrate the pedals? I might try and pick up some G25/27 pedals on the cheap somewhere. the DFGT is pretty good apart from the pedals.

The potentiometer in your gas pedal is hosed, there's no way to really fix it or calibrate around it, I guess you could take it apart and check it out but they are plastic pedals and likely you will royally gently caress them attempting to take them apart. Just get a set of pedals from a G25 or whatever and chuck those pieces of poo poo in the trash.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Reminder:

Next Event:

Edit:
:siren: Don't forget that daylight savings ended today in a lot of places!

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 30, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

AMS is also on sale until Tuesday for £18, which is the cheapest it's been by a long distance. Also Niels is streaming some physics work on the F-Extreme which is apparently being rebuilt for what I think is the 50th time.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 30, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GhostDog posted:

Reminder:

Next Event:

Edit:
:siren: Don't forget that daylight savings ended today in a lot of places!

You made me double-check my calendar - for the most part, Europe DST ended today, US and Canada ends next week so everyone will be back on the same schedule. There is one less hour offset this week while Europe changes their clocks but North America doesn't.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Enduracers have released their mod for rFactor 2 and it is just as fantastic as you'd expect from them. The P2's are awesome and there are SO MANY engine combinations and paint schemes and wonderful little details. Now if Studio 397 will just do their bit rF2 would be unstoppable.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Gave the Porsche pack another try, no idea why I hated it so much last time. I suspect my driver settings where hosed (in addition to my head).

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Porsche supercup sim? I like AC a lot but wish they'd improve netcode and finish support for the rift (even though it works well the so far).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Wait, there's no 959 in any of the packs? Are you loving kidding me?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A new AMS dev update at last, well into November. Not much there though, Imola is scheduled for Nov 15th and Formula Truck 2013 will be coming afterwards, then updated to 2016 later on.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Unless someone else hosts today, the next AMS race is postponed until next sunday.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/10/how-to-get-a-free-copy-of-dirt-3-complete-edition-humble-bumble/

Dirt 3 for free. Guess it's less of a sim but, well, free.

Scutty
Mar 28, 2013
Free is good. Thanks for the info

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sector 3 are doing a dev stream on Monday at 7pm GMT and are supposedly going to have a lot of news. They'd better given it's nearly 5 months since R3E was updated.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Maybe they'll finally update the other cars to the new physics? Getting pretty tired of every drat sim now having its cars at various tire/physics models.

I'm not going to be hosting AMS races for a while, maybe in december again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So the Sector 3 stream (archive here) actually had quite a bit of stuff in it and a lot of what they showed is set to launch tomorrow. Here's the list of stuff.

- Opening montage of upcoming content. TT RS VLN, TT Cup 2016, DTM 2016, KTM X-Bow, Silverstone and Formula RaceRoom 3.
- Experiences are dead, menu is getting a bit of an overhaul. Rulesets etc will be available for all content so you can use the ADAC GT mandatory pitstop, or DTM knockout qualifying as well as the option to make race length be time+1 lap.
- Store is being redesigned to highlight sales and match the main menu, and 3 permanent bundles are being launched. Most important being the premium pack which will be 9999VRP for everything, which is an option the game has needed for a very long time.
- AI is being fixed after the big grid update broke poo poo. The video they showed was pretty impressive, AI actually defending position, covering the inside line into corners, they apparently won't fight for position when being lapped either.
- Punctures being added to the tire model for everything, run a tire down too long and it'll puncture. Also manual pit lane control coming in a future patch.
- Trailers! Lots of cars moving slowly on German tracks. TT Cup and DTM 2016 both out tomorrow. TT RS VLN and X-Bow shortly after.
- Suspension animation being added for the X-Bow's release because that car doesn't feel right if you can't see the suspension move.
- Hockenheim rework happening with the kerbs, lot of hilarious photos of people lying on the track photographing kerbs.
- Accuforce support coming for the crazy people who own that thing.
- THE GENERIC DASH IS DEAD!! The McLaren 650 GT3 will actually have the proper LCD!! It's a situation where all the LCD dashes will have the same basic info, but will all look different and not just be the same 2-3 LCDs.
- Multiplayer is getting a structured setup, official servers for pickup racing, official leagues, player skill ranking and licences. I predict it making precisely zero difference to online populations but I applaud them making an effort.
- Actual flag system being worked on thank loving christ.
- Little bit about SimBin, they're working on a new racing game (shocker) with the Unreal Engine for PC and consoles. Talk about SimBin being revived due to Sector 3's office location making hiring difficult.
- VR is being worked on for R3E, though its very early in development and not a huge priority.
- Some upcoming stuff, Formula RaceRoom 3 looks like a Stock Car Extreme F309, Formula RaceRoom US a totally not DW12 Indycar, the new McLaren and BMW GT3s and Volvo WTCC car as well as Silverstone.

A lot more stuff than I was expecting, though a lot of it stuff we knew about already. That there's active work happening again though is encouraging after that massive period of silence. Nothing said about physics updates to older content though. Still waiting on that GT1 update.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 15, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So, filthy casual questions incoming.

I used to love playing the F1 games on the playstation as a younger man, and I see F1 2016 is on steam and has pretty good reviews. I've watched some Career mode videos and honestly it looks fun. I don't have a wheel, and I'm not necessarily looking to play the super-realistic level multiplayer sims (though I might dabble in them if I get a wheel).

Is it still generally worth it to pick up a wheel and some pedals if I'd mostly be looking to play F1 and stuff like Project Cars rather than getting into iRacing or a bunch of multiplayer racing? My internet is garbage due to my temporary living accommodations for work right now, so I'd be doing primarily single player, which is honestly fine with me.

Currently considering a CSL Elite Wheel base and the elite pedals with the load cell, combined with one of the formula style wheels. I know an entry level wheel might be a technically better choice money-wise for a casual, but the OP makes it seem like there's a noticeable quality of life and enjoyment improvement out of stepping up to the mid-range wheel and pedals, and I figure it's either worth dropping money on quality stuff or not worth it at all.

Thanks.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So.. it's like trying to paint a canvas with a toothbrush. You can do it. It works. You'll even end up with something that is kinda like what you wanted.

It's still painting with a loving toothbrush.

hth

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know what the hell Tony Montana is talking about but if you think you will have fun, it could be worth it to get a CSL wheel and what not. I think there might be a black Friday deal involving the CSL wheel. Check the fanatec blog or their facebook to find out more. Though the CSL wheel is kind of entry level. The CSL is like low mid tier and the CSW is like high mid tier. Bare minimum being something like a G27/29 and high end being a direct drive OSW.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaodai posted:

So, filthy casual questions incoming.

I used to love playing the F1 games on the playstation as a younger man, and I see F1 2016 is on steam and has pretty good reviews. I've watched some Career mode videos and honestly it looks fun. I don't have a wheel, and I'm not necessarily looking to play the super-realistic level multiplayer sims (though I might dabble in them if I get a wheel).

Is it still generally worth it to pick up a wheel and some pedals if I'd mostly be looking to play F1 and stuff like Project Cars rather than getting into iRacing or a bunch of multiplayer racing? My internet is garbage due to my temporary living accommodations for work right now, so I'd be doing primarily single player, which is honestly fine with me.

The Codemasters games (such as the F1 and Grid series) are said to control well with gamepads, probably because Codemasters has lots of console gaming experience. Obviously getting a wheel is dope and super cool, but if you're asking if it's possible to have fun playing car games with a gamepad, the answer is definitely yes, especially with the more sim-lite titles like those two series and Forza.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'd start with something cheap, but then again the resale value of sim racing stuff is pretty good, so you're not risking that much. Whatever you do, if you've never used a force feedback wheel before it will probably feel a bit weird and not what you expected, and you will suck. Make sure to set up your poo poo correctly and give it a while.

Project Cars might actually be a bad first choice because of its hard to set up FFB.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just meant that there really is only one tool for driving, using anything else pretty much sucks. Even a cheap wheel will be a lot more fun in pretty much any title that will support it over a controller or keyboard or whatever.

edit: toothbrush wtf

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know what the hell Tony Montana is talking about but if you think you will have fun, it could be worth it to get a CSL wheel and what not. I think there might be a black Friday deal involving the CSL wheel. Check the fanatec blog or their facebook to find out more. Though the CSL wheel is kind of entry level. The CSL is like low mid tier and the CSW is like high mid tier. Bare minimum being something like a G27/29 and high end being a direct drive OSW.

Is the CSW the Clubsport Wheel Base V2 Servo? For the difference between the two I could pick up some nice pedals and stuff with the CSL (and a steering wheel itself). Is the jump in quality that drastic between the CSL and that?

Part of the reason I'm not just going with a cheap Logitech wheel or something is that my fallback plan is that I just tuck it away until I end up building a setup for my dad whenever he ends up finishing his game room. If he wants to upgrade to a truly high end wheel and stuff after that, he can invest in it himself. :v:

Shine posted:

The Codemasters games (such as the F1 and Grid series) are said to control well with gamepads, probably because Codemasters has lots of console gaming experience. Obviously getting a wheel is dope and super cool, but if you're asking if it's possible to have fun playing car games with a gamepad, the answer is definitely yes, especially with the more sim-lite titles like those two series and Forza.

I'll probably grab F1 2016 next time it goes on sale then and at least give it a go with a controller. That'll give me some context to work from at least. Thanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Is the CSW the Clubsport Wheel Base V2 Servo? For the difference between the two I could pick up some nice pedals and stuff with the CSL (and a steering wheel itself). Is the jump in quality that drastic between the CSL and that?

Part of the reason I'm not just going with a cheap Logitech wheel or something is that my fallback plan is that I just tuck it away until I end up building a setup for my dad whenever he ends up finishing his game room. If he wants to upgrade to a truly high end wheel and stuff after that, he can invest in it himself. :v:

Yes it is. It seems like the CSW is a few newton meters more force than the CSL. The good news is the rims are interchangeable between the two. So if your dad decides to get a CSW or something for whatever reason, he could just give the CSL back to you.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
To answer your main question: racing games are fun on a controller, but drat they are fun as poo poo with a wheel. If you enjoy racing games, you will enjoy having a wheel.

If you can get a used CSR, CSR Elite or Thrustmaster T300/TX, then you will have equipment that is pretty up to date, but already depreciated so you can flip it for minimal loss. G25/G27 are getting to be stupid high prices for old tech, and that bubble will burst eventually.

The CSL lineup is definitely on the high side of "entry level" but it's the best you can find for the price - I have a CSL base. You will not find a better CSL bundle than the upcoming Black Friday deal - you will need to add pedals to the bundle, but it's still $40 off.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you can find a Driving Force GT that'd probably be the best way to see if you enjoy racing with a wheel since they're usually super cheap when they pop up. Then you can either stick with it or sell it for what you bought it for and buy something newer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

To answer your main question: racing games are fun on a controller, but drat they are fun as poo poo with a wheel. If you enjoy racing games, you will enjoy having a wheel.

If you can get a used CSR, CSR Elite or Thrustmaster T300/TX, then you will have equipment that is pretty up to date, but already depreciated so you can flip it for minimal loss. G25/G27 are getting to be stupid high prices for old tech, and that bubble will burst eventually.

The CSL lineup is definitely on the high side of "entry level" but it's the best you can find for the price - I have a CSL base. You will not find a better CSL bundle than the upcoming Black Friday deal - you will need to add pedals to the bundle, but it's still $40 off.

This is tempting, especially if I can sell my G27 for stupid money.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Definitely worth getting a wheel if you like racing games.

IMO force feedback is a bare minimum requirement. I've had two wheels without force and they both got used maybe a half dozen times before they got shelved forever. The two I've had with force are both still in service today and I'm planning to buy the CSL when it goes on sale for Black Friday.

I'd strongly recommend getting a wheel that natively supports three pedals and an h-pattern shifter. You can add those on as separate components, but some less simmy games don't properly handle taking input from multiple devices at once so a wheel that can combine everything in to a single input stream can be beneficial. Also if you care about console compatibility this is mandatory.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

This is tempting, especially if I can sell my G27 for stupid money.

On this subject, I am going to try to sell my G27 on eBay for stupid money. I thought I would mention it in here first before listing in case someone wanted one for slightly cheaper than stupid money.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What are you going to hope to get out of it? I think if I could sell mine for $200-250 locally I'd be pretty happy. That's with a quick browsing of ebay but I don't know what they're "worth."

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

What are you going to hope to get out of it? I think if I could sell mine for $200-250 locally I'd be pretty happy. That's with a quick browsing of ebay but I don't know what they're "worth."

Probably $200 or so. Prices on eBay seem to vary quite a bit on how much effort is put into the listing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thanks for the overall input guys. It has been helpful.

The Science Goy posted:

That bundle does look like a good general purpose setup once you add pedals. I might just pick that up come Black Friday. I can always swap in an F1 style wheel later if I decide I want one specifically.

I think you've all sold me on picking up a wheel.. I've got a joystick/throttle for flight games and an arcade stick for fighting games, I might as well round out the peripheral set.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Make sure you get in quick. They will probably sell out because they never keep very much stock.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Just threw the Porsche LMP1 around the Nurburgring for a while. loving love this car.

I'll try out the other cars in Pack 2 tonight.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Last night I decided to do the 918 laptime challenge around the ring.

A hypercar on street tires and not that much downforce is a fuckin' riot on the ring. And doing sub 7 minute times is crazy.

In the process of getting a 6:56 I got the 'drive 250kms in one session' achievement.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 22, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
So uh has anyone tried using a Steam Controller for iRacing because I forgot to remove the auto-renew for their year long membership sale from last Black Friday :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

So uh has anyone tried using a Steam Controller for iRacing because I forgot to remove the auto-renew for their year long membership sale from last Black Friday :saddowns:

No. That sounds terrible though. The triggers have like half the range that Xbox controllers have.