Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

Kettle of fish, but why does a wreck that noone ever sees worth using a monument? If it was some place that people visit it'd make more sense. If a school bus full of children crashes an burns on the side of the road you don't turn the charred wreck into a monument.

"this thing that I can't see is important because I attach importance to it"
"this thing is important because we think it is"
congrats you've just described most things

i'm gonna melt down nobel prizes and medals of honor and your grandmothers wedding ring and sell it for 10c per ton to make into burner phones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Prince_of_Wales_(53)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Repulse_(1916)

I'm not even a huge military buff/military fan but they're basically graves for highly decorated soldiers/highly decorated ships

these people died protecting modern civilization and china too for that matter, the least they can do is not gently caress up our dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"I, for one, don't care about anything" :smug:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Be right back, gonna gently caress up all the stuff we left on the moon and scrap all the rovers too because it is not like they are important.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

why do you use "y'all"? you're from iceland where the gently caress did you pick that up? for someone that hates the us you sure do love our slang.
I also eat peanut butter and watch netflix, gently caress y'all got me, I'm really just in love with America in secret

Also the only other proper second person plural is "youse" and gently caress that nonsense

Baronjutter posted:

Why would an icelander have such a hard on for china and chinese propaganda though? Is it that derangement where you hate the US so much you eat up anti-western propaganda and spin everything to paint garbage dictatorships as good?
Where the gently caress did this come from anyway? Having an actually informed and nuanced view of China isn't the same as slobbering their cigarettes; mostly I find their poo poo funny but I've personally seen the shitload of good they've done in the world.

That said, I'd never call myself a stalwart defender of a bunch of dudes that are mostly just kleptocrats with a thin veneer of Communism over them.

barbecue at the folks posted:

A really good read, but because of these threads I seriously lol'd at this:
Yeah, no, that article is boring garbage because it's mostly a dull restating of commonly known facts, only without any proper focus so it meanders on for loving ever.

I think that China studies is one of the few remaining areas in the world where the rule of the boring white middle age man hasn't been broken; they're usually American or British and they have been there since the very start. They state trite obvious poo poo without a real understanding or analysis of the situation and get heaps of attention for it while real study gets buried.

Like the part about civil society is a loving laugh because the repression has never been good since '89 because the whole loving point of the crackdown was the threat civil society represented to the rule of the CCP. This is such basic, elementary poo poo that I'm not surprised that he doesn't get that but who really cares. And I'd somewhat think that if you want to talk about religious repression you might choose the ongoing slaughter of the Uyghur rather than ~bulldozing churches~ (Which is especially loving funny when the real news is the growth of the underground churches and it's mostly been these illegal ones being bulldozed)

This is something the majority of the Muslim world knows, but for some mysterious reason it's rarely mentioned, huh.

Bro Dad posted:

reminder that deceitful penguin called a black person a honky and said that America doesn't have Indian food

He's like if fishmech was illiterate
If you only mattered I could claim that the gay jesus blessed me with retarded enemies but no, I'm not even sure who you are because I was thinking of 'My Dad' and almost felt bad for a moment

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Be right back, gonna gently caress up all the stuff we left on the moon and scrap all the rovers too because it is not like they are important.

What the gently caress?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Telsa Cola posted:

If you can, I say go for it. I'll be extremely impressed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ElGroucho posted:

"I, for one, don't care about anything" :smug:

I didn't mean anything edgy like that. Eventually they'll rust to nothing, how long until they don't have any sentimental worth? I mean people used to bulldoze culturally important poo poo all the time because it has no meaning to them, this isn't much different.

Uhg, yeah I see why my post was stupid. I'm stupid just put me on ignore.

But gently caress the lunar rover, it'd be shitloads better with a lift kit and spinners.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lazer Monkey posted:

What the gently caress?

Baronjutter posted:

If you can, I say go for it. I'll be extremely impressed.

:eng99:

It was a joke based on Outrails post.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Ughhh gently caress that. I was hoping the Prince of Wales and Repulse would be safe cause they are prestigious.

nothing is sacred

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They probably needed to build another IKEA.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love it when fines are so low it's far cheaper to pay them then stop doing whatever the fine is trying to stop you from doing. With fines related to "things rich people do to make money" this is almost always the case the world over.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://www.facebook.com/EngenhariaHoje/videos/1141032219306132/

"Everyone wants to know its secret! It reacts with Minerals underground"

Ah yes, the secret Mineral Repulsor Tech.

(I assume this video is a spoof of that road bus or something)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

5,000 years of history! *destroys own history*

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Shanghai government wants to introduce an indoor smoking ban in public places. What are the odds of it actually being enforced?
http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/article/news-shanghai-public-smoking-ban-begins-march-2017

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

fish and chips and dip posted:

Shanghai government wants to introduce an indoor smoking ban in public places. What are the odds of it actually being enforced?
http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/article/news-shanghai-public-smoking-ban-begins-march-2017

The one in Beijing seems to have actually worked....decent-ish, which compared to the expected result of "not making a drat bit of difference whatsoever" is very pleasantly surprising.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Visit China and remember what the internet was like in 1995!

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Haier posted:

LOL. Goondolences on not being able to find a kawaii waifu and instead being stuck with a loonie bin. There are tests, but what you wrote really sounds like she had some mental issues. On top of that, those who have low-to-no self-esteem will usually do their best to control everything as much as possible because they fear that if the other person enjoys themselves in any other way they will see how wonderful life is, or another person is, and run away. It's all selfish, under the guise of "I care about you and want you with me always." It's a game of manipulation. Hopefully you have found better and really learned a lot from that.

I think that's just jealousy? Of course you can find somebody better or get tired of someone. Especially in a place with like 20 trillion people. That's just sort of human (and some low self esteem),although going for a coke and having to phone in about it is a bit weird unles you live in the same flat in which case I'd be like "heading out, need anything" or at least say "be back soon". That's just how i do cause i'm cool and nice. The other poo poo about almost drowning etc is hosed tho

edit: is hosed, not kind of

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 17, 2016

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
Her work schedule could vary greatly so I would never know when she would be home. So I would get home chill decide to go hit the coke macine, of course in the 10 minute window she would roll in and be "omg no one is here THE PHONE IS ON THE TABLE MY TURKISH EX HUSBAND HAS KIDNAPED HIM"

Yeah my story makes it look like jealousy but my foolish mistake was too believe that if I didn't interact with anyone else then the green eye'd monster wouldn't appear.

But it doesn't work that way, later on in life I saw it play out a few times in my friends relationships and marraiges when your partner decides they wanna pick a fight its gonna happen.

1) Bring home chillie beans instead of baked beans.... That's a Screaming match

2) Even thought I was with you when we picked out my wedding ring, I've decided 2 years later to just yell at you about how it wasn't what I REALLY wanted.....that's a screaming match

3) You just walked in the door and haven't even set your bag down, but I am gonna yell at you for not putting your lunch pack away....that one turned violent

I remember on this very forum someone asked why people seem too lose their poo poo over minor things like the kids having a whole cookie instead of a half and one goon said it best

"when your in a bad relationship very minor thing becomes a life or death fight, because in our heart you hope that fight will be the one that sets you free."

One thing that really stood out was this woman was a licensed language instructor, so basically I had a free tutor to teach me the language....only she never did. Oh she would be there to lay down how poo poo I was at it, but got basically zero support.

One and only time I told her "hey lets turn the tv off for awhile, come over here and review this with me." She basically refused to look at me and refused to answer any of my questions, played with sorting her sales receipts, (remember she was licensed and I had seen her teach to other students) and later when I gave up said a meek "sorry darlying"

so like any good goon, I got clever I learned that I could make conversation while in the car the thus sneak a free Japanese lesson.

Would work for about 15 minutes then she would realize what I was doing and just stop.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

StarMinstrel posted:

https://www.facebook.com/EngenhariaHoje/videos/1141032219306132/

"Everyone wants to know its secret! It reacts with Minerals underground"

Ah yes, the secret Mineral Repulsor Tech.

(I assume this video is a spoof of that road bus or something)

I'm the Brazilians in the comments who keep saying the tire industry is done for.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Was her job language instruction? The last thing you want to do when you get home is your job.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dicky mouse posted:

One thing that really stood out was this woman was a licensed language instructor, so basically I had a free tutor to teach me the language....only she never did. Oh she would be there to lay down how poo poo I was at it, but got basically zero support.

One and only time I told her "hey lets turn the tv off for awhile, come over here and review this with me." She basically refused to look at me and refused to answer any of my questions, played with sorting her sales receipts, (remember she was licensed and I had seen her teach to other students) and later when I gave up said a meek "sorry darlying"

so like any good goon, I got clever I learned that I could make conversation while in the car the thus sneak a free Japanese lesson.

Would work for about 15 minutes then she would realize what I was doing and just stop.

What in the actual gently caress? I should just bold all of that.

So how did you communicate?

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Was her job language instruction? The last thing you want to do when you get home is your job.

I was teaching English in South America for a while and I'd go out of my way to help friends out if they asked me. Maybe not marking their homework but talking about how to do better and conversation and poo poo.

The above girlfriend/Stockholm instigator was just being selfish or something.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 17, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

awkward_turtle posted:

I'm the Brazilians in the comments who keep saying the tire industry is done for.

I don't know what aspect of it was more far-fetched. The fact that a car is floating, or that GPS is actually useful for drivers in China.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

awkward_turtle posted:

awkward_turtle posted:

My favorite part is the cars parked like fucktards in the parking lot.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

JacksAngryBiome posted:

It was a part of it, thought mostly translation of training materials for different company's factories in other parts of S E Asia.

Like I said, I asked her to sit down and help me exactly once. I took the hint, and never asked that again.

Then of course loss of face happened when my language skills stayed poo poo, and her "friends" & "colleagues" wondered why the boyfriend of such a wonderful and nice instructor sucked soo bad.......now she coulda explained what you just said.

Instead she told them I was fat and lazy.

The highlight of that little saga in the relationship was when I would be sitting on the floor at my "study table" like a child. She would be at her desk hammering away on the keyboard while watching AXN on the tv.

I found the TV distracting so I would go just go to bed early with a book and review there, and gosh gee I made some improvement.

She loving hated that I was leaving the room and would be passive aggressive about it.

Edit:

Outrail posted:

What in the actual gently caress? I should just bold all of that.

So how did you communicate?

We used English for the most part.

Dicky mouse fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 17, 2016

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
code:
http://i.imgur.com/A46wipi.gifv
Idiot tries to slash a tire and forgets about air pressure and gets quite a surprise. A little bit bloody, so I linked it instead.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
just a normal day on the highway

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

JacksAngryBiome posted:

A totally legit reason to be a loving rear end in a top hat..

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

http://www.wsj.com/articles/china-discovers-the-price-of-global-power-soldiers-returning-in-caskets-1479250248

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

man, I don't want to tell you you needed to grow a set, since you probably already know that, and hopefully have gotten better, but I really hope she was hot (the being crazy part already tells me the sex must have been AMAZING).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i reckon they're gonna be 100% a-ok with this

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thought of you haier. I love his stonefaced reaction

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
this dude looks absolutely thrilled

and he's holding her bags for her while she proposes to him, so she can put on the ring. this is just so perfect, lol

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he looks so trapped, what a vicious ambush

i think it might be pretty old because I see iphone 3Gs and galaxy s3's

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Great Autismo! posted:

this dude looks absolutely thrilled

and he's holding her bags for her while she proposes to him, so she can put on the ring. this is just so perfect, lol

Hangon, she made me pay for the ring, I'm holding her poo poo and she's kneeling but I'm putting it on her and... and... gently caress. Bamboozled again.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Is there another article discussing the same incident? or could you give us the juicy details? How did Chinese soldiers get into a firefight in Sudan? Did they try to keep blacks from buying a bubble tea at a "Chinese and Whites only" diner?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nickmeister posted:

Is there another article discussing the same incident? or could you give us the juicy details? How did Chinese soldiers get into a firefight in Sudan? Did they try to keep blacks from buying a bubble tea at a "Chinese and Whites only" diner?

you could try scrolling down

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Jeoh posted:

you could try scrolling down

It's behind a paywall.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
South Sudan's former defense minister is currently having a go at the presidential position and has triggered tribal hatreds to gather an army so the country is currently a huge clusterfuck. We just don't hear that much about it because Syria is still the slightly bigger mess. Usually UN peacekeepers just turtle in their bases while poo poo like this is happening in Africa but that's not always 100% effective so I'm guessing they died when either side's coked out soldiers decided they wanted to shoot some foreigners.

Nov 24, 2014

nickmeister posted:

Just put the article address / title into google, and click on the link there. You'll get the full article. Works on lots of sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fauxtool posted:

thought of you haier. I love his stonefaced reaction

TFW she turned 27 while you were away.

That man got ambushed so badly.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 17, 2016

• Locked thread