Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

koolkal posted:

The main thing about Sirius that seems broken is his M1 - R - M1 combo with the T2 battlerite for the weapon charge on R which makes this a 60 damage <1 second total cast + animation length 25% energy burst combo. That's a lot of burst in a short amount of time.

He has to catch you with all defensive abilities on cool down to land that though. He's a slow character at baseline, and his R has a dash before the attack hits, so there's plenty of time to get out of town. Even if you have slow reflexes and get hit with the R, you know there is a follow up charged attack coming that you should definitely should be able to dodge.

If you get caught with all your defensive skills on cooldown than you deserve it, and there are other characters who could put out even more damage in that same situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Is it just me or is Lucille's M1x broken? It seems to just poo poo out insane amounts of damage in an AoE, has almost no cooldown, is incredibly easy to hit with almost no windup and even slows for good measure.
The damage is timed burst, so if you have any kind of move with iframes you can basically waste her energy.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Megasabin posted:

He has to catch you with all defensive abilities on cool down to land that though. He's a slow character at baseline, and his R has a dash before the attack hits, so there's plenty of time to get out of town. Even if you have slow reflexes and get hit with the R, you know there is a follow up charged attack coming that you should definitely should be able to dodge.

If you get caught with all your defensive skills on cooldown than you deserve it, and there are other characters who could put out even more damage in that same situation.

I don't think there's really that much time to respond unless you're just blowing cooldowns every time a Sirius is in melee range (which isn't necessarily a bad idea considering his lack of poke or initiation tools).

His R has a special trick where if it collides with something, it shortens the time before the swing comes out. So the combo ends up looking like this:

Maybe that's reasonable but I think it's a bit weird for a support character. And I don't really know of any other character who can output that much burst that fast from a standstill.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Heres a pro tip for fighting Sirius: Dont try and fight him when he just weakened you

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is it me, or is Rook loving insane now?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

koolkal posted:

I don't think there's really that much time to respond unless you're just blowing cooldowns every time a Sirius is in melee range (which isn't necessarily a bad idea considering his lack of poke or initiation tools).

His R has a special trick where if it collides with something, it shortens the time before the swing comes out. So the combo ends up looking like this:

Maybe that's reasonable but I think it's a bit weird for a support character. And I don't really know of any other character who can output that much burst that fast from a standstill.

That whole combo is from literally point blank range. The question would be is why are you letting Sirius do that to you. He is a slow character so the only way he's getting that close to you is to teleport right on top of you. Even if you weren't considering that combo and were just worried about eating the regular charged strike, you shouldn't let Sirius be right on top of you anyway. If you see the teleport coming, which is slow in the air, you should be moving or using a skill to anticipate him.

Sirius was not in a good place before this patch. This patch has made him much more useable, but I don't think it makes him overpowered.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Seems like we're getting a new champ and patch tomorrow.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/338162230920434614

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

New hero looks cool, I'm surprised they're releasing him so soon after the last 2, it's a good sign.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A lot of tweaks in a positive direction, happy about where 1.0 might be going

edit: vv They posted a teaser book on twitter a couple days ago, but that was it.

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 10, 2016

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Man, they're really bad about building hype, just dropping a hero out of nowhere is weird. Definitely a fan of all the changes though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

muon posted:

Man, they're really bad about building hype, just dropping a hero out of nowhere is weird. Definitely a fan of all the changes though.
They mentioned a patch last week

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
On the one hand I'll have to learn to not just mash Rook's M2, but on the other hand I won't have to learn to not trance into Rook's M2.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ragg posted:

On the one hand I'll have to learn to not just mash Rook's M2, but on the other hand I won't have to learn to not trance into Rook's M2.
I'm getting whiplash because his old M2 could be countered, then it could't be countered, and now it can again just as I was learning to stop countering in anticipation of it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nice.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The new hero is really lame. He's an amalgamation of pre-existing skills, and just feels like a rehash. There's less than 30 heroes in the game. We should be seeing unique mechanics.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 11, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Megasabin posted:

The new hero is really lame. He's an amalgamation of pre-existing skills, and just feels like a rehash. There's less than 30 heroes in the game. We should be seeing unique mechanics.
He plays pretty unique and is one of my favorite characters already.

I get the critique that his abilities are rehashes, but they are implemented in a different enough way that no character plays really similar to him.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 11, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Khorne posted:

He plays pretty unique and is one of my favorite characters already.

I get the critique that his abilities are rehashes, but they are implemented in a different enough way that no character plays really similar to him.

I'm glad you like him, and I'm sure putting together pre-existing skills in a different way can lead to a different play experience, but it doesn't stop me from feeling like it's very lazy creative work from the devs. I mean we now have Oldur's exact shield skill in a different color for the 3rd time. It's uninspiring stuff to see this early in the development cycle.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Megasabin posted:

I'm glad you like him, and I'm sure putting together pre-existing skills in a different way can lead to a different play experience, but it doesn't stop me from feeling like it's very lazy creative work from the devs. I mean we now have Oldur's exact shield skill in a different color for the 3rd time. It's uninspiring stuff to see this early in the development cycle.

This, especially when you consider the fact they have more unique already existing heroes they can port over. Reaver pls.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kaldaris posted:

This, especially when you consider the fact they have more unique already existing heroes they can port over. Reaver pls.
It took them what? A week and a half? To release this guy after releasing two other heroes.

I'd expect more unique stuff from heroes that take longer to create.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Khorne posted:

It took them what? A week and a half? To release this guy after releasing two other heroes.

I'd expect more unique stuff from heroes that take longer to create.

I imagine they've worked on him and all the other heroes in the game for way, way longer than a few weeks. I bet there's a backlog of more or less finished hero concepts that they have been and are currently working on

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Ezmo's role as a mid-range gunner is unique and he feels great to play, but it's hard to ignore that he is a Frankenstein minifig constructed from the discarded lego parts of other heroes. I wish I could evaluate him in a vacuum but I can't, especially when the roster is still so small. I'm coming from Smite and one of the reasons I soured on it was the uninspired, go-to-the-landfill-of-discarded-parts kit design. Really hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I'm encouraged by the fact that they still have a pool of BLC champs to draw from who were all very distinct and lovely. What I'm trying to say is bring back Metal Warden.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kaldaris posted:

Reaver isn't any more unique than Ezmo (I think both are fine) - He has a pseudo hook, a leap, a trance, a melee incap, and a "hit them a lot" ult. Ezmo is really cool though and plays completely different from any other hero. He does obscene damage and his SMG-style M1 actually leads to some funny interactions.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Countblanc posted:

Reaver isn't any more unique than Ezmo (I think both are fine) - He has a pseudo hook, a leap, a trance, a melee incap, and a "hit them a lot" ult. Ezmo is really cool though and plays completely different from any other hero. He does obscene damage and his SMG-style M1 actually leads to some funny interactions.

I haven't gotten a chance to really try Ezmo just yet. But Reaver's big thing was the amount of CC he put out.. Not really his damage. Plus, thematically, he was adorable. A skinny drunk gently caress with a big sword.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you want Peak Ezmo play Ezmo/Oldur in 2s. that comp is really hard to pin down and does insane damage. pretty squishy if you gently caress up your outs or go 1v2 due to hard CC but that's 2s i guess

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Apparently reddit is whining that freya is overpowered. It seems entirely baseless given the leaderboard and recent tournaments.

Also, my rank climbs steadily. The grind is real.

Oh yeah, is ranked and unranked reversed on masterbattlerite for anyone else?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

^^at least croak got buffed :v:

Khorne posted:

Apparently reddit is whining that freya is overpowered. It seems entirely baseless given the leaderboard and recent tournaments.

She's got a crazy skill cap. I've played against some good Freyas, and the mind games when you start the match are intense. She can create huge advantage with her incaps and snowball the match, or fall flat on her face and lose half her hp. Been trying to pick her up myself and I usually end up flailing my maces around in the air for 20s before eating pavement.

Also, this discord (https://discord.gg/X5gsjwH) has a good collection of champion guides in the #find_a_coach_or_guide

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Up to Grade Ten. Getting to that point where it's more important what you counter than just countering for the hell of it. Blocking a snipe or charged weapon is a bigger deal than just a regular left click.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
So how about that player retention? Hope they have plans, right now there isn't much reason to play after stabilizing in mmr. Quests actively harm my desire to just focus on my main. Upping gold gains, giving half on loss, better cosmetics to worm toward, basically more poo poo to trigger the lizard brain dopamine triggers.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
They're working on a season system, so that will help drive a desire to keep playing ranked.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The main reason I don't play as much now is because it's just too hard getting good matches. Half my games have a 2 grade spread which is just too much, especially after several minutes of queuing

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

It's not worth it for me to play anything but standard at the moment. There's a very low probability of getting to play anyone that will actually help improve my game instead of making me turn my brain off for three rounds :v:. Doesn't help that most the higher grade players are either burnt out, in standard or can just be hit up for a scrimmage/in house.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My rating has stabilized to such a degree that every win/loss is a difference of 2-5 rating. Standard is fine but then you're dealing with drops and wild grade differentials. Love the game and I don't mind slowrolling this early access period. When they roll in the new rating system they've been talking about I'm getting right back in.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'll be playing a lot more after offical launch when the FTP pricepoint hopefully brings in more people around my (middling) mechanical skill level.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
I'm off it until the ranking system is sorted. Right now losses for me are huge hits and because of the small player pool right now I get very little for wins (usually about 5), but any loss results in a 15 to 20 point loss. Kinda crap and due to a small losing streak I went from grade 13 to struggling to keep grade 12. Most matches are really imbalanced and most of my teammates who I play with have stopped playing for the same reasons, so in a bit of a lose lose situation with it.

Looking forward to seeing how they improve ranked, I enjoy ladder progression but this current system feels awful.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok I'm not being funny or anything but why can't people just play the game? Why does the rating matter so much? The point of the rating is just for matchmaking, you are how good you are regardless, it's all mental. I played BLC from beta and don't even remember my rating but loved the poo poo out of it. Does anything body think it's really something in the game itself not enticing you to play and you put it on the rating?

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Because we are all hooked on the illusion of progression and addicted to meaningless rewards that come with it?

Makes u think.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

RBX posted:

Ok I'm not being funny or anything but why can't people just play the game? Why does the rating matter so much? The point of the rating is just for matchmaking, you are how good you are regardless, it's all mental. I played BLC from beta and don't even remember my rating but loved the poo poo out of it. Does anything body think it's really something in the game itself not enticing you to play and you put it on the rating?

I just play. I figured until the game is opened up F2P rank really doesn't mater that much unless you want the satisfaction of seeing your numbers slowly creep up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Rating matters because it matters to others and torpedos my chances of finding timely games :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RBX posted:

League of Legends went from their Ranked system displaying your MMR to a tiered division system, because they found people were far more likely to play ranked if it felt like they were making constant, visible progress. Your MMR going up 5 points didn't feel very rewarding. Winning a promotion series and moving up from Silver 3 to Silver 2, or Gold 1 to Platinum 5, etc, felt like a more rewarding progression even if MMR is still the system in the background that dictates who you fight and how much LP you gain or lose per game.

If your goal is to get people to play your game, you usually need to trigger something in their brain that makes it feel like it is at least a little more than a mindless number treadmill.

• Locked thread