Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ya beefed it. I guess you forgot the button to start the duelling minigame for second base. Total rookie goof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The Oscars only added an animated category after some cartoons came dangerously close to winning the best film Oscar instead of a "real" film. I think it was beauty and the beast or something.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

spirited away obvs

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's me, I'm the jackass who doesn't really care for Spirited Away that much. I love Princess Mononoke, I love Howl's Moving Castle.

I should probably watch it again, though. I think I only watched it the one time when I was like, 15 or something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lizard Wizard posted:

Who knows, Frank West Party 4 might be a cool game mode

The multi will feature 4 original characters so as to not interfere with franks epic new quest canon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nah, Teleroboxer or Galactic Pinball.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah Spirited Away marked the point where Miyazaki pretty much gave up having on having a coherent narrative and turned all of his movies into a series of barely connected vignettes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah Spirited Away marked the point where Miyazaki pretty much gave up having on having a coherent narrative and turned all of his movies into a series of barely connected vignettes.

Thats why its the best one

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I haven't seen Spirited Away again since like 2002 but I felt at the time that it just kind of weird and didn't really get the adoration it was getting then and obviously continues to get now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing that seems funny to me about the Oscars is how it compares to the Globes. If you took an industry and I told you that there would be two competing awards, one done by people who work on creating the products in the industry and one done by people critiquing those products, which one might you expect to be the snobbier one?

Has any sports game ever actually had a tutorial for teaching the sport itself?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The little dust guys and the black cloak dude with the mask are cute as gently caress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snak posted:

It's me, I'm the jackass who doesn't really care for Spirited Away that much. I love Princess Mononoke, I love Howl's Moving Castle.

I should probably watch it again, though. I think I only watched it the one time when I was like, 15 or something.

I want to say something mean but I didn't like My Neighbor Totoro so I have no room to speak.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I forgot Fire Emblem Fates came out this year, didn't it? Conquest might well be in the running for my personal GOTY. The story was garbage, but playing it on Hard with perma-death on and making it to the end with zero deaths is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've ever had.

I really hope the next FE game uses Conquest as a model for its gameplay. Some of the best turn-based strategy maps I've ever played.

Speaking of turn-based strategy, XCOM 2 was this year too, wasn't it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I forgot Fire Emblem Fates came out this year, didn't it? Conquest might well be in the running for my personal GOTY. The story was garbage, but playing it on Hard with perma-death on and making it to the end with zero deaths is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've ever had.

I really hope the next FE game uses Conquest as a model for its gameplay. Some of the best turn-based strategy maps I've ever played.

Speaking of turn-based strategy, XCOM 2 was this year too, wasn't it?

Deffo for console. I cant remember if it was 2015 or 2016 on pc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Deffo for console. I cant remember if it was 2015 or 2016 on pc

February 2016, looks like, so yeah, that's this year too.

Though really, FE Fates Conquest ended up being a more memorable and satisfying strategy game for me, and that surprised the hell outta me, because I wasn't expecting it to be so different from Awakening.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Conquest is such an amazing game, and it's cool they did the split game approach to keep people interested who preferred the Awakening style (because I didn't and conquest brought me back in love with the series again)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I played through the Colorado mission in Hitman for the first time last night. I was very worried about it being extra difficult based on what I was hearing on my podcasts, but once I got the first disguise there were only a few trouble spots. I did all the assassinations with accidents and I kept following the anti-terrorism expert around because she was my last kill and I had wasted my lethal poison earlier in the mission. Took me way too long to see the chandelier that she stands under, but it was funny to hear her talk up the bombmaker and drop all these hints about how to kill him, when he died in a gruesome battering ram incident within minutes of me getting my bearings.

As with most of the stages, I'm interested in seeing how to orchestrate some of the more entertaining sounding deaths (pushed into a slurry pit, for example), but I don't think I'll be replaying it like I did with Paris.

Then I wrapped up Titanfall 2's campaign and started playing multiplayer. hoo boy, that's a fun game. I didn't know how to rodeo Titans; I thought it was "Hold Square while near their feet" so I got crushed a few time. Looking over the thread it looks like I need to land on the top half of a Titan to ride it. Now to figure out how the experience system works.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Conquest is such an amazing game, and it's cool they did the split game approach to keep people interested who preferred the Awakening style (because I didn't and conquest brought me back in love with the series again)

:yeah:

For anyone who has a 3DS, likes turn-based strategy, and somehow hasn't played Fates yet (maybe because Awakening turned you off or you just haven't gotten around to it yet):

Holy poo poo FE: Fates Conquest is incredible. It's much harder than Awakening or the other two Fates paths, but, crucially, that difficulty is legitimate. They didn't just stuff wide-open maps with beefy enemies and reinforcements that attack on the same turn (in fact, reinforcements don't get to do that anymore at all). They gave enemy units actual Skills, like your units get, and in some diabolical combinations that also play around with the map layouts. I actually had to stop and think before every move in many maps and I loved it. I'd played the Birthright path first and liked it well enough, and that gave me the confidence to play Conquest on Hard instead of Normal, and gently caress am I ever glad I did.

If someone's going to pick it up in the future, if you only play one path, make it Conquest. You should only play on Classic (permadeath mode) if you're a purist or a masochist, but I will say that I don't think I'd have been quite so giddy after completing the game if I'd played on Casual. Finishing the whole thing, on Hard, with zero casualties required a ton of resets and I got very, very Mad At Video Games during my repeated attempts at the last two chapters, but god drat did I feel good when I did it. Easily my most satisfying gaming experience of the year.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, be productive on my day off or sit around unwashed until *just* before my wife comes home playing WItcher 2 all day...

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Unrelated but, what's with slovenly white guys and basketball shorts?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Revelations is also interesting as an extra path. The maps lean a little too Awakening for my tastes but they also have a high volume of super gimmicky maps which is kinda cool. The enemies never feel as carefully designed as Conquest and they give you every character from both games without retuning level and stats for when they appear in Rev so you have a massively unbalanced and bloated squad to mess with but I think it's worth a play. More interesting than Birthright at least

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ben Smash posted:

They're comfy and easy to wear

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Revelations is also interesting as an extra path. The maps lean a little too Awakening for my tastes but they also have a high volume of super gimmicky maps which is kinda cool. The enemies never feel as carefully designed as Conquest and they give you every character from both games without retuning level and stats for when they appear in Rev so you have a massively unbalanced and bloated squad to mess with but I think it's worth a play. More interesting than Birthright at least

I sorta treated Revelations as a victory lap, myself. I really wanted it to have the enemy design of Conquest and the map gimmicks didn't really do quite enough to make up for it, for me.

So I kept playing on Hard and just abused everything I could about the class system to break the game wide open. My +Str/-Lck Corrin, Xander, Ryoma, and Camilla were absurdly powerful. I had Xander and Ryoma become best friends so they could use each other's classes and let me tell you, Xander with Astra and Swordfaire is hilarious. Ryoma with Luna is also pretty good, but not quite as spectacular to behold. And Camilla is just Camilla and is gonna be nuts no matter what you do.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

They're comfy and easy to wear

So is a good pair of jeans, slovenly white guy. Old Navy has a line that is basically loose pajama pants that are also denim. Wearing mine right now.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ben Smash posted:

Sweatpants are in season right now anyway!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I realize that this is my male privileged speaking, but there are very few clothes that I wouldn't consider "easy to wear". Of clothes that I've worn that aren't easy to wear, that's mostly because they don't fit.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Lobok posted:

Has any sports game ever actually had a tutorial for teaching the sport itself?

I remember a Rugby game having a pretty good tutorial (edit-- it was from a game called Rugby 2005):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQyCcageGg

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 17, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Basketball shorts are the ultimate in comfort wear. Anytime I'm hanging around my house I'm in athletic shorts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I sorta treated Revelations as a victory lap, myself. I really wanted it to have the enemy design of Conquest and the map gimmicks didn't really do quite enough to make up for it, for me.

So I kept playing on Hard and just abused everything I could about the class system to break the game wide open. My +Str/-Lck Corrin, Xander, Ryoma, and Camilla were absurdly powerful. I had Xander and Ryoma become best friends so they could use each other's classes and let me tell you, Xander with Astra and Swordfaire is hilarious. Ryoma with Luna is also pretty good, but not quite as spectacular to behold. And Camilla is just Camilla and is gonna be nuts no matter what you do.

I played Revelations on Lunatic to see if I could manage it and at a certain point I put it on casual because it was just too hard for me. Yeah some of the combos you can make in Rev are insane, but I never made a more powerful character than just Swordmaster corrin with +SKL. Every attack was basically triggering Astra for 200 damage by the end game

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't seen Noah, only heard that it was "meh"

I think it's kinda meh, but apparently a lot of people think it's much better than meh. To me, the creation scene is the best part of the movie, is visually stunning, and pretty moving. Watch yourself and save 2 hours by not having to watch the stuff around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwSWRdbSQK0

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Basketball shorts are the ultimate in comfort wear. Anytime I'm hanging around my house I'm in athletic shorts.

I wear cutoff denim because I cant bring myself to throw away old jeans that are bleached or torn to shreds.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well I beat Mother 3.

In typical Mother fashion the scenes before, during, and immediately after the final battle were incredibly touching. I'm really not a fan of the ending at all, though. The entire game up to then was really good.

So satisfying to know what ultimately happens to that bratty little weasel Porky too.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
remedy just teased a teaser for an unknown new game

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I have no idea who Remedy is.

A teaser Teaser is probably a bad idea.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They made Max Payne and Alan Wake.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

There are a lot of miyazaki films that I've seen where I'm like "well that was a thing" and they're animated well and they're fun but then I can't remember a goddamned thing afterwards about them.

Like, I saw kiki how many times and I still don't remember how that movie even ends.

I don't think it was miyazaki but I did enjoy the cat returns tho. That was a fun one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess Quantum Break wasn't a disaster for them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i figured theyd be quantum broke after their last release

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If y'all haven't seen The Tale of Princess Kaguya watch it, it's the best thing Ghibli ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

corn in the bible posted:

i figured theyd be quantum broke after their last release

why dont u have a new av yet mang

• Locked thread