Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The better question is why was Phoenix1 vs iG hyped up?

To settle a clash of ideologies and shift geopolitical power and influence

See Rocky IV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I guess this is a... scouting report. For the scouting grounds.

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/18033209/2016-north-american-league-legends-scouting-grounds-preview

I wonder if this is being recorded in any way.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

I guess this is a... scouting report. For the scouting grounds.

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/18033209/2016-north-american-league-legends-scouting-grounds-preview

I wonder if this is being recorded in any way.
i chose the players for this article fyi (they're not necessarily the best at their roles, just stories that were interesting moreso tbh), if anyone actually gives a poo poo about scouting grounds players i can prob answer questions about most things

they're recording scrims, doing interviews, etc but as far as i know are planning to wait until after the event itself to publish all the material

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Chris de Sperg posted:

i chose the players for this article fyi (they're not necessarily the best at their roles, just stories that were interesting moreso tbh), if anyone actually gives a poo poo about scouting grounds players i can prob answer questions about most things

they're recording scrims, doing interviews, etc but as far as i know are planning to wait until after the event itself to publish all the material

My main question is are any of the actual LCS teams taking these seriously? Like is this an improvement in terms of how scouting is usually done or is this going to end up as a one time thing because no LCS team actually looks at it? Do you have specific players in mind who you think might actually get a position because of this event?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

Support

Player to watch: Ryan "Whyin" Karaszkiewicz

Known as "cute pupper irl" on the ladder,
Well I know who I'm rooting for

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I'm interested in the French Canadian I guess but jfc DatZit was terrible. Not an auspicious first foray into challenger play.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

My main question is are any of the actual LCS teams taking these seriously? Like is this an improvement in terms of how scouting is usually done or is this going to end up as a one time thing because no LCS team actually looks at it? Do you have specific players in mind who you think might actually get a position because of this event?
so this is an interesting topic, because yeah the fundamental question at the heart of this event is: why does this need to exist? while the vast majority of players involved here have had very little lcs/cs contact, if teams cared, you could scout all of them. not all have been fixtures of high elo, but i don't think there's anyone who wasn't at least masters for the majority of the season. about half of them were playing in the initial championship league (a 16-team league with two 8-team groups playing bo2 round robin, top 4 go through to bo3/bo3/bo5 playoffs) last split.

not only do you have plenty of material you can look at in terms of gameplay, you can just, y'know, run these players through private scrims to try them out. like, just reach out to them, say "hey, come play some games", even if they're technically on a team since there's basically no such thing as a genuinely exclusive contract (wherein contracts even exist) below nacs anyway, and in fact, that's a thing that was already happening - team liquid and c9 both had sub-sub-squads with random players last split. while he admittedly had a long history with stunt anyway, jynthe was one of the players on those squads. it costs you nothing but the time of one or two of your staff members anyway.

knowing that, i was deeply sceptical of the whole event from the outset. i'm sure some of the orgs going in have good intentions, and i'm certain some of the individuals do; ironically (but not really ironically), dardoch's apparently super-eager and invested in the whole project. but i would be surprised if anyone is directly signed from the event, bar maybe for echo fox since their management has some fundamental issues with regards to the apparent fact as i understand it that they were apparently unable to put together said sub-sub-squad last split

speaking of which, the teams that the orgs drafted for the event are up: http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/na-scouting-grounds-amateurs-and-dragons i actually think galin probably has the best chance of anyone at the event of getting an offer now based on what i just said & echo fox's need for a jungler & what i know about galin as a player

more generally, in terms of players i think definitely have LCS potential in the future: in terms of players i haven't directly worked with first, deftly legit could be an incredibly good adc if he doesnt run into a maturity-related wall, and actually all of the adcs are at least decent. in terms of players i have worked with: galin could either be really good or really struggle in pro play because he's a very meticulous type of player wrt planning etc, godrjsdnd might be a dark horse to get a spot somewhere since his mechanics are unreal and he's surprisingly receptive in a team environment given he has a reptuation for being legendarily toxic in solo queue, whyin will eventually get there but he's 17 and has a ways to go with communcation etc, strompest has prob the weakest prospects out of the 4 but hes still aight

so yeah. i think there's only an outside chance we see anyone from the combine as an lcs starter next split, although i'd expect to see probably 3-4 of them there on opening day in 2018.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
What about Tuesday? He actually seemed decently well-spoken and communicative when he interviewed on BTR.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Strompest could be okay if he's on a team with an ADC, jungler, and support so good that they draw all the bans and let Ryze through every week.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

curiousCat posted:

What about Tuesday? He actually seemed decently well-spoken and communicative when he interviewed on BTR.
he also has absolutely abysmal game knowledge (and doesn't quite have the raw skill to back that up) and tilts super-hard in competitive matches. i really, really don't like tuesday as a prospect tbh

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Strompest could be okay if he's on a team with an ADC, jungler, and support so good that they draw all the bans and let Ryze through every week.
hey man his fizz is actually beastly

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Chris de Sperg posted:

knowing that, i was deeply sceptical of the whole event from the outset. i'm sure some of the orgs going in have good intentions, and i'm certain some of the individuals do; ironically (but not really ironically), dardoch's apparently super-eager and invested in the whole project. but i would be surprised if anyone is directly signed from the event, bar maybe for echo fox since their management has some fundamental issues with regards to the apparent fact as i understand it that they were apparently unable to put together said sub-sub-squad last split
Dardoch still for TL?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

gvibes posted:

Dardoch still for TL?
the echo fox thing fell through because riot regulations, he's on TL for the time being and while he technically could i guess i'd be very surprised if he went back to echo fox now tbh

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

curiousCat posted:

Knowing the contractual issues teams have had, they'll gladly pay Tuesday for a player today

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

kingcobweb posted:

Knowing the contractual issues teams have had, they'll gladly pay Tuesday for a player today

:rolleye:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be pretty curious about who comes out of here looking the best in mid and jungle because those seem to be the two biggest loving vacuums in terms of good players in all of NA. There are already a pretty good number of players who are already really good the rest of the positions a team would need but theres just something about those two roles that seems to be such an issue for teams to get good players in, at least in NA.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Luna Was Here posted:

I'm going to be pretty curious about who comes out of here looking the best in mid and jungle because those seem to be the two biggest loving vacuums in terms of good players in all of NA. There are already a pretty good number of players who are already really good the rest of the positions a team would need but theres just something about those two roles that seems to be such an issue for teams to get good players in, at least in NA.

Isn't NA support pool also lacking? I can't remember who but I recall a streamer making fun of NA support talent where the only challenger supports just spam janna.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i was able to climb to decently high in the ladder by spamming morgana and i'm poo poo.

yeah the support pool is pretty weak imo

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

eh na junglers are ok, it's really top and mid where there's generally a huge deficiency if anything (the top pool here might be the weakest of the lot honestly, i don't understand the fallenbandit hype having had the misfortune of having to use him in scrims, maxtrobo is meh, the other two are flat-out bad)

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Chris de Sperg posted:

eh na junglers are ok, it's really top and mid where there's generally a huge deficiency if anything (the top pool here might be the weakest of the lot honestly, i don't understand the fallenbandit hype having had the misfortune of having to use him in scrims, maxtrobo is meh, the other two are flat-out bad)

I was under the impression that the top laner pool was so-so but I've never really done any sort of scouting or whatever so I'm not really all that sure about player talent. It just seems like outside of the top 4 of each region all of the top laners were similar in skill

Also interesting thing that might not be anything but Shiphtur is steaming under the clg network on twitch. He could just be doing it for higher ad revenue or something or clg could be getting a real midlaner soon

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

the top lane pool is awful

reminder that the best RNG could find for their toplaner was R F LEGENDARY

stump collector
May 28, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

the top lane pool is awful

reminder that the best RNG could find for their toplaner was R F LEGENDARY

Duo queue to prom? No? Five stack to relegations it is

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Luna Was Here posted:

I was under the impression that the top laner pool was so-so but I've never really done any sort of scouting or whatever so I'm not really all that sure about player talent. It just seems like outside of the top 4 of each region all of the top laners were similar in skill

Also interesting thing that might not be anything but Shiphtur is steaming under the clg network on twitch. He could just be doing it for higher ad revenue or something or clg could be getting a real midlaner soon

Not even sure I'd take Shippy over HuHi TBH. Not unless he's been spending time in the hyperbolic chamber.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
huhi is incredibly bad in almost all ways but one thing he does well and is very underrated at is making proactive plays for clg. like, he will initiate a fight and probably die but the rest of the team will know what to do with it.

clg with shiphtur would be elements-tier allergic to playmaking. like it's painful to even think of

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i think passive habits and poor teamwork/toxic comms are the worst possible traits for a pro player to have and shiphtur wrote the book on them

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont know if hes toxic but he's passive as poo poo and that's a serious problem for a lot of teams right now. huhi is not good but shiphtur straight up would need to be like three times as good as his peak to not be a total liability now imo

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

i dont know if hes toxic but he's passive as poo poo and that's a serious problem for a lot of teams right now. huhi is not good but shiphtur straight up would need to be like three times as good as his peak to not be a total liability now imo

Agreed. Also, you can just ban Ahri.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
qtpie hinted that shiphtur helped to break up their team by being really passive aggressive, although dignitas should've probably died much sooner it doesn't surprise me that a solo queue monster plays selfish on stage and blames his team

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Lots of people who have played with Shiphtur have said once he stops "believing in you" he will refuse to talk to you both in game and out as if you're not worth his time. NintendudeX talked about how on Coast the whole team collapsed because he was literally refusing to communicate with the jungler. He's consistently at the top of Challenger but his problems are probably all communication and how much he dislikes his team.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

well he's also unbelievably passive, and that was causing problems before people understood how important jungle control was.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

RealFoxy posted:

Lots of people who have played with Shiphtur have said once he stops "believing in you" he will refuse to talk to you both in game and out as if you're not worth his time. NintendudeX talked about how on Coast the whole team collapsed because he was literally refusing to communicate with the jungler. He's consistently at the top of Challenger but his problems are probably all communication and how much he dislikes his team.

hm on second thought i think clg has been sorely lacking a player with these attributes

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Richard Lewis is breaking some news that Riot are in talks with MLB AM (Who do the on-demand and streaming for Baseball and the WWE Network) for potential revenue sharing. MLBAM and WWE Network are actually both good systems when working properly, and it'd be amazing cool if they were to host every single old game and tournament on the service.

The most amusing thing about this is that the Reddit moderators are still so mad at Richard Lewis that linking to his content will get you perma-banned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWx0a6ZRkPs

The huge news is that beta testing for this service could start as early as Febuary, and the service could be operational before March. As someone who's used both MLB and WWE Network if this goes through it'd be the best thing to happen for streaming E-Sports.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 16, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MLB is trying really hard to stop people from even posting gifs on twitter, so if they're partnering with them for league content enjoy all of the takedown requests on youtube videos from here on out.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Chris de Sperg posted:

godrjsdnd might be a dark horse to get a spot somewhere since his mechanics are unreal and he's surprisingly receptive in a team environment given he has a reptuation for being legendarily toxic in solo queue,

:ohdear:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Wisdom is off Misfits? I hope they know what they're doing. They looked thoroughly unconvincing when they played without him in the promotion tournament.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

MLB is trying really hard to stop people from even posting gifs on twitter, so if they're partnering with them for league content enjoy all of the takedown requests on youtube videos from here on out.

Takedowns are driven by the TV networks though. Riot is unlikely to want to control the distribution of gifs, whilst networks want content to be logo'd considering they've paid so much, which gifs dn't do much of the time.

KESPA might though

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabidsquid posted:

MLB has one of the best online presences of the major sports and has had since 1998 and even more when they launched the streaming mlb.tv service. Their policy has always been focused on the team and network focused for online stuff, which means if somebody is doing take downs for gifs on twitter it's a network or team. (Some teams have a much better online presence than others like the Mariners and Orioles over a team like the Yankees or Marlins, but all online content is basically on a per team basis)

But whatever.

Asema fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 17, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

okay

http://www.fangraphs.com/techgraphs/mlb-is-cracking-down-on-your-twitter-gifs/

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

but whatever

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
i am angry about internet gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hold up one second let me post a link from 2015 for this argument because everything is set in stone phew lad

• Locked thread