Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Call Schumer and tell him we will not accept collaboration.

(212) 486-4430

You may be better off calling your own state's Senator(s) if you don't live in New York, if either (or both) is a Democrat. Similarly, if you happen to live in South Carolina, call Lindsey Graham's office and let them know that you support Graham's push to investigate Russian interference and his stated desire to keep the filibuster unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grouchio posted:

US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper has resigned.

If I failed to discover that the Russians had directly caused the election our new president until after the election and knew that one of my successors was a literal Russian plant, I'd resign too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If I failed to discover that the Russians had directly caused the election our new president until after the election and knew that one of my successors was a literal Russian plant, I'd resign too.

same

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

A 75% majority in the Senate can pass a new Constitutional amendment.
If the Republicans get 75 Senate seats that will vote together on amendments, they can do what they like. I will concede.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Harrow posted:

This assumes a 38 fully Republican-run states as well, and while we're close to that, it's not guaranteed after 2018. There are some retiring or term-limited Republican incumbents up for reelection in winnable states, like Maine and Nevada, and most of the Democratic incumbents are in states like New York and Hawaii where they're not going anywhere. Other Republicans are up for reelection in states that Clinton won decisively, like Vermont, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Illinois. Obviously Democrats actually doing something in an off-year isn't something we've seen recently, but I'd chalk that up to the DNC's total neglect of anything other than national politics, and it sounds like both Keith Ellison and Howard Dean know better.

Congress can't pass amendments on its own, even with a Republican supermajority.

And who will stop them? They own the House and the Presidency.

Face it, we are doomed to die under a conservative government that tries to use yesterdays answers for today's problems until it all comes crashing down into anarchy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

:drat:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Covok posted:

Face it, we are doomed to die under a conservative government that tries to use yesterdays answers for today's problems until it all comes crashing down into anarchy.

FactsAreUseless posted:

If the Republicans get 75 Senate seats that will vote together on amendments, they can do what they like. I will concede.

Wait, hold up, because unless every civics class I ever took is wrong, the state legislatures must ratify an amendment for it to become an actual amendment. Congress can only propose it. Is there some loophole that lets a 75-seat Senate majority bypass the ratification process that I can't seem to turn up by googling?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 17, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Covok posted:

I think the pendulum will swing back in a few years but there will be a lot of suffering in that time and it will probably not swing back as far as it should because of the Democrat's incompetence.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mcmagic posted:

I think the pendulum will swing back in a few years but there will be a lot of suffering in that time and it will probably not swing back as far as it should because of the Democrat's incompetence.

You hope too much.

Fact is, I honestly believe we're on the build-up to the third world war. Nationalism rising in the western world has preceded the other two, I honestly think we may be at the start of another.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Which is why we all need to be involved in the purification of the party.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone going to tell me how the Republicans will magically go from 52 to 75 senators?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Crowsbeak posted:

Which is why we all need to be involved in the purification of the party.

That doesn't sound sinister at all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone going to tell me how the Republicans will magically go from 52 to 75 senators?

Because there is no God.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Guys what's the democrat equivalent of the shrieking sphere of pure white rage

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Harrow posted:

Wait, hold up, because unless every civics class I ever took is wrong, the state legislatures must ratify an amendment for it to become an actual amendment. Congress can only propose it. Is there some loophole that lets a 75-seat Senate majority bypass the ratification process that I can't seem to turn up by googling?
Yeah, I looked it up and the 75 percent thing is nonsense. It's two-thirds of both chambers, ratified by 75 percent of the states.

Edit: I think. I just skimmed a thing.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BarbarianElephant posted:

That doesn't sound sinister at all.

Well it is sinister if your name is Rahm Emmanuel, or Cuomo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Covok posted:

You hope too much.

Fact is, I honestly believe we're on the build-up to the third world war. Nationalism rising in the western world has preceded the other two, I honestly think we may be at the start of another.

It is somewhat interesting that while Ukraine has been getting invaded and robbed, multiple NATO countries have had nationalist political uprisings against trade and immigration in the past few years.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Blubbering string of clutched pearls?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The posting sphere of pure black despair

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Grouchio posted:

US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper has resigned.

Don't blame him one bit.

Trump clearly isn't interested in seeking out information. He's going to be meeting with a foreign head of state without even a State Department briefing. Why the gently caress would you want to stick around if it meant having to fight just for the chance to be ignored?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They will not. Really the people in this thread need some uppers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Talk about forming a new left party or whatever is dumb. If the left devours itself in the short term, the resulting Republican entrenchment is gonna need a new government to excise, not a new party

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Harrow posted:

There is no loophole. People in this thread don't know how amendments work. The Constitution is a compact between states and not only do amendments requires the approval of 3/4ths of the states, there is even a path to making amendments that does not require congressional approval at all (though, this has never been done iirc).

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Talk about forming a new left party or whatever is dumb. If the left devours itself in the short term, the resulting Republican entrenchment is gonna need a new government to excise, not a new party

The new party would just end up as "Democrats, but a bit more left and obsessed with political purity to the point of futility."

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Sounds like the same wackadoos that formed the ultra small echo chamber at the democratic national convention, so I wouldn't worry about them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, I looked it up and the 75 percent thing is nonsense. It's two-thirds of both chambers, ratified by 75 percent of the states.

Okay, that's what I thought.

And Covok, my dude, the Republicans are not going to have complete control of 38 states, even after 2018. If they do, it'd be because the Democratic Party full-on ceased to be, and even if it looks like the party's in shambles, it isn't going to just evaporate. Enough of the Republican governors up for reelection or leaving office due to term limits are in very winnable states. The Democrats haven't always been useless at the state level and, with the coming change in leadership, they aren't necessarily going to continue to be. Both of the most likely candidates for DNC chair know what's up when it comes to building grassroots and actually giving a poo poo about local- and state-level elections. It isn't over yet.

Basically, it is amazingly unlikely that any constitutional amendments will be passed any time soon.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Maybe this would be true if political power wasn't so overwhelmingly in favor of rich folk.

But unfortunately they are he only people left with a voice in our country.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yes you have to work within the Democratic party system.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
3/4ths of the states could get together and rewrite the Constitution from the ground up, if they felt like it, and Congress couldn't do poo poo. Would never happen and could lead to the dissolution of the union, but it would be legal.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The new party would just end up as "Democrats, but a bit more left and obsessed with political purity to the point of futility."

Except we would actually be a party of the average American, and not the Uber rich fucks that ruin everything.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Curling up into a fetal position on the floor of a swank apartment while crying about deplorables, the media, polling, 'the system' and berniebros.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Except we would actually be a party of the average American, and not the Uber rich fucks that ruin everything.

Except that's a load of poo poo, it'd be basically the Greens who have never had to compromise on any issues because they are politically powerless and irrelevant and they get the vote of a bunch of purity voters from now until forever. If they actually compromised and had power they'd become the democrats in half a day.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kilroy posted:

3/4ths of the states could get together and rewrite the Constitution from the ground up, if they felt like it, and Congress couldn't do poo poo. Would never happen and could lead to the dissolution of the union, but it would be legal.

At this point, anything legal would just be met with the rest rolling over and taking it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i refuse to believe there aren't any mirrors in your house

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Except that's a load of poo poo, it'd be basically the Greens who have never had to compromise on any issues because they are politically powerless and irrelevant and they get the vote of a bunch of purity voters from now until forever. If they actually compromised and had power they'd become the democrats in half a day.

The Democrats but caring about global warming a bit more.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Rage is only one of many emotions I am experiencing at this time

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Democrats but caring about global warming a bit more.

That'd be problematic because if you're not giving equal time to every issue such as the economy or minority identity issues or whatever pet issue you have then you're "failing your constituents and the country" (see: the other thread)

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Oh wow that was a quick meltdown

Just to be sure: you don't think rich people having more political power than the average American is one of the problems of the Democratic Party is facing?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

Rage is only one of many emotions I am experiencing at this time

Same, but with panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

New left party? Is there a party on the left somewhere we haven't been told about?

this but ironically

• Locked thread