Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

I dunno if it's necessarily a crackpot theory but if you can attribute it to the research of one specific person who you can call by name it's not quite at the level of "ACLU lawsuit" yet. It's still breaking. Gotta become generally-accepted fact first.

Better go email CNN / Washington post so we can tell everyone its true.

Or just email the DNC same idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Internet Explorer posted:

It looks like people in that thread are saying it might be a sensor issue?

Readings were nominal/along with the rest until august/sept.

Unless there was a huge event that basically would accelerate things it's most likely bad data.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the dems don't actually wanna do any grassroots outreach, do they? they don't give any sort of poo poo about their constituency, do they? they put sanders in a "sit-here-so-they'll-shut-up" position so they could look good while continuing to push their neoliberal bullshit and hope that the people are hoodwinked into thinking change is coming.

we are so hosed.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

the dems don't actually wanna do any grassroots outreach, do they? they don't give any sort of poo poo about their constituency, do they? they put sanders in a "sit-here-so-they'll-shut-up" position so they could look good while continuing to push their neoliberal bullshit and hope that the people are hoodwinked into thinking change is coming.

we are so hosed.
Well then show up to meetings and take over.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Pollyanna posted:

we are so hosed.
Little do they know that Sanders has a tendency to do his job despite the leadership.

So he'll outreach, get new dems, and the neoliberals will be pushed out by new blood.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

tadashi posted:

Is there an Uncle Tom like name for gay white men who don't really give a gently caress about anyone as long as they're making money?

Uncle Tom of Finland

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Crowsbeak posted:

Well then show up to meetings and take over.

i'm...i'm bad at leading. and speaking. i doubt i would accomplish anything rather than either be cowed into silence, or speak up in anger and get kicked out. i feel powerless on my own.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

we are so hosed.

I think the answer is to get out, volunteer, and maybe run for a local position. If your state is mostly red, then you can run as the opposition and say whatever you want basically. I mean we just elected Trump, so its not like people care about facts or manners. If nothing else, show that we're not going down without a fight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kurtofan posted:

Uncle Tom of Finland

Serf posted:

I think the answer is to get out, volunteer, and maybe run for a local position. If your state is mostly red, then you can run as the opposition and say whatever you want basically. I mean we just elected Trump, so its not like people care about facts or manners. If nothing else, show that we're not going down without a fight.

my state is blue (MA), so it's definitely not as simple as throwing a hail mary. i expect there to be lots of opposition from establishment democrats.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kurtofan posted:

Uncle Tom of Finland

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Musical montage: "Gonna Fly Now" by Bill Conti

Chuck Schumer sits at a desk, head in hands, then rises to his feet, a new determination on his face. He slowly, dramatically, begins to loosen his tie.
Tim Kaine sits destitute on a curb outside a Richmond liquor store, a half-drunk pint bottle of Jack Daniels in a paper bag on the ground next to him. He watches the revelry of a passing group of men in red hats, and lifts the bottle halfway to his lips before pausing, scowling, and throwing it full-tilt at the brick wall behind him. It shatters, and Kaine rolls up his sleeves, headed home to sober up and get back to work.
Keith Ellison runs along the banks of an urban river, wiping sweat from his brow with a towel hanging around his shoulders as a sweatsuit-clad Bernie Sanders rides alongside him on a bicycle, yelling encouragement.
Elizabeth Warren runs at full tilt up a seemingly endless outdoor stairway, only to collapse halfway through and have to sit down to catch her breath for a few minutes before rising, resolute, to go back to the bottom and start again.
Back in Schumer's office, Chuck has discarded his corporate garb altogether in favor of a tank-top, camo pants, and a Che Guevara red beret. He spreads eye black on his cheeks and begins cleaning an antique Soviet-era Kalashnikov.
Tammy Duckworth lies on her back in a private gym, glaring intensely at a picture of Donald Trump she has taped to her ceiling as she bench-presses her body weight. No way can you do one more rep, Trump seems to say. Duckworth snarls and proves him wrong.
Tulsi Gabbard has affixed a similar picture of Trump to her favorite speedbag. As she continues her workout, she remembers the events of November 8th, frowns, and begins unconsciously punching harder until suddenly the speedbag is torn from its mount and bursts on the floor. She pauses for a second before laughing and turning to the heavy bag.
Cory Booker is headed to a dinner meeting with several wealthy lobbyists who represent powerful interests. As he approaches the table, one of the lobbyists who is balding a little bit sweeps his remaining blonde hair to the side, and Booker stops. Who does that man remind him of? He gulps heavily and backs out of the restaurant. He needs to hit the gym.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tadashi posted:

Is there an Uncle Tom like name for gay white men who don't really give a gently caress about anyone as long as they're making money?

Ooh, there should be. Let's come up with insulting terms for every minority who doesn't vote Democrat! This is great.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

i'm...i'm bad at leading. and speaking. i doubt i would accomplish anything rather than either be cowed into silence, or speak up in anger and get kicked out. i feel powerless on my own.

I bet you just need to try. Also try watching Huey long videos.

Serf posted:

We are taking over and moving the country forward. I say we should build our foundation on the bones of the neolibs who try to keep control of the Dems.

Gay Uncle Tom is a uncle Rohm

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

loquacius posted:

Chuck Schumer sits at a desk, head in hands, then rises to his feet, a new determination on his face. He slowly, dramatically, begins to loosen his tie.
Tim Kaine sits destitute on a curb outside a Richmond liquor store, a half-drunk pint bottle of Jack Daniels in a paper bag on the ground next to him. He watches the revelry of a passing group of men in red hats, and lifts the bottle halfway to his lips before pausing, scowling, and throwing it full-tilt at the brick wall behind him. It shatters, and Kaine rolls up his sleeves, headed home to sober up and get back to work.
Keith Ellison runs along the banks of an urban river, wiping sweat from his brow with a towel hanging around his shoulders as a sweatsuit-clad Bernie Sanders rides alongside him on a bicycle, yelling encouragement.
Elizabeth Warren runs at full tilt up a seemingly endless outdoor stairway, only to collapse halfway through and have to sit down to catch her breath for a few minutes before rising, resolute, to go back to the bottom and start again.
Back in Schumer's office, Chuck has discarded his corporate garb altogether in favor of a tank-top, camo pants, and a Che Guevara red beret. He spreads eye black on his cheeks and begins cleaning an antique Soviet-era Kalashnikov.
Tammy Duckworth lies on her back in a private gym, glaring intensely at a picture of Donald Trump she has taped to her ceiling as she bench-presses her body weight. No way can you do one more rep, Trump seems to say. Duckworth snarls and proves him wrong.
Tulsi Gabbard has affixed a similar picture of Trump to her favorite speedbag. As she continues her workout, she remembers the events of November 8th, frowns, and begins unconsciously punching harder until suddenly the speedbag is torn from its mount and bursts on the floor. She pauses for a second before laughing and turning to the heavy bag.
Cory Booker is headed to a dinner meeting with several wealthy lobbyists who represent powerful interests. As he approaches the table, one of the lobbyists who is balding a little bit sweeps his remaining blonde hair to the side, and Booker stops. Who does that man remind him of? He gulps heavily and backs out of the restaurant. He needs to hit the gym.

today in opposite land

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Internet Explorer posted:

I live in a fairly big city, do I looked up my local Dem party and saw they had a meeting in a few days (today). It's worded as an "Executive Board" meeting, but they have it every month with nothing else on the schedule so I figured that was just their normal meeting. Wanting to be sure, sent an email to their info@ address. No response after 3 days. Gee, I wonder why these groups are having trouble bringing in new blood!

I suggest you look into being a millionaire, I think that worked for some other people.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I suggest you look into being a millionaire, I think that worked for some other people.

Just storm in.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

:yikes:

nopants
May 29, 2004
Bernie said on twitter we can tap that. It's finally happening.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nopants posted:

Bernie said on twitter we can tap that. It's finally happening.

we can what

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Just storm in.

Make sure you cover your face too, to send a message that you represent all of us. You gotta just storm in there screaming, hopefully wearing all black too, in honor of the lost election.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

today in opposite land

Yeah that was a "needs to happen" thing not an "is happening" thing

I was assuming that'd be clear after my last post but I forgot to account for the fact that like an entire page's worth of new posts went up in the time it took me to write that, whoops

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Do you think Bernie is a good speaker? That gruff grandpa? I mean, compared to OBama? Consider sanders has been speaking for decades, and that's how he speaks. He says good things, but he not a good speAker. He is an authentic speaker. If you are authentic, you can do it.

Every person who has ever spoken to a crowd has eaten poo poo the first time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Make sure you cover your face too, to send a message that you represent all of us. You gotta just storm in there screaming, hopefully wearing all black too, in honor of the lost election.

wear a Guy Fawkes mask and a fedora

bring some knives so they know you're serious

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
do people still want gabbard in leadership? I guess you fight anti-muslim nationalism with anti-muslim nationalism with a prettier face?

Also lol at Booker leaving a lunch meeting with lobbyists

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

we can what

Into. Tap into that.

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/799255021309206528

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
bernie gave us permission to gently caress, at last

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

bernie gave us permission to gently caress, at last

calling dibs on "permission to gently caress" as a band name

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Do you think Bernie is a good speaker? That gruff grandpa? I mean, compared to OBama? Consider sanders has been speaking for decades, and that's how he speaks. He says good things, but he not a good speAker. He is an authentic speaker. If you are authentic, you can do it.

Every person who has ever spoken to a crowd has eaten poo poo the first time.

i'm not confident that i can say anything important, or that ill be taken seriously. but at this point, being able to express myself in any way possible is enough to relieve my frustration.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

do people still want gabbard in leadership? I guess you fight anti-muslim nationalism with anti-muslim nationalism with a prettier face?

While we're at it it also doesn't particularly make sense for politicians to prepare for the next wave of elections by getting swole and Chuck Schumer is in fact not a communist guerrilla

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes gabbard in leadership, despite her flaws, would be a good politician. Also can you post some source of information about Gabbards islamophobia? I'd like to read more about it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I want to point out something that I observed yesterday that was kind of interesting if you want to break some Trump supporters' brains. I'm not sure if it's substantially helpful but it was interesting.

I often listen to a conservative local AM guy on the drive home from work who aligns with Republicans on most issues but classifies his politics as libertarian. He has been against Trump from the beginning.

Yesterday something interesting happened: He was referencing the idea of "our societies moral decay and the coarsening of our political discourse". He explained that he felt the election of Donald Trump proved this point, that things are getting more coarse and vulgar.

It seems his callers just couldn't let this go. They couldn't address it head on and had deflect. Either they had to admit that their vote for Trump reflected this coarsening and that they shared some responsibility for the moral decline or they had to admit that our national morality had magically gotten better for some magical reason now that Trump had been elected. They were just completely unprepared to deal with what Trump means for the morality pearl clutching they always seem to focus on prior to Donald Trump.

I'm not smart enough to really say much else, but it was an interesting situation that I hadn't seen play out before and I think there is some value in there somewhere.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kurtofan posted:

Uncle Tom of Finland

gonna start using this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bernie is my.....

*checks notes*

bro?!?!?!?!?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yes gabbard in leadership, despite her flaws, would be a good politician. Also can you post some source of information about Gabbards islamophobia? I'd like to read more about it.

I don't think she can claim 'economic anxiety' in her support of the Hindu Nationalist BJP and Modi who just openly hates Muslims. For her own views she mainly used to get the spotlight by being the brave noble democrat willing to fight Obama on him being too weak on ISIS and needing to bomb them more (but then later saying he's bombing them too much). She also got upset when he had a meeting with Muslim leaders to discuss extremism because...it distracted from radical Islam somehow?

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/curious-islamophobic-politics-dem-congressmember-tulsi-gabbard

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I went to my Democratic State Committee meeting earlier this week and it wasn't super helpful but I'm hoping my experience might enlighten others. There was an hour beforehand where the members had time to sit and schmooze and members of the public could talk to them. The meeting itself was strictly adhering to their schedule and there wasn't any time for public comments unless I left too early.

My advice is to find your local meeting, figure out who you want to talk to beforehand, and do so. I'm not sure how much else can be done, although if you miss a meeting/didn't get your voice heard you can try and arrange one.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think she can claim 'economic anxiety' in her support of the Hindu Nationalist BJP and Modi who just openly hates Muslims. For her own views she mainly used to get the spotlight by being the brave noble democrat willing to fight Obama on him being too weak on ISIS and needing to bomb them more (but then later saying he's bombing them too much). She also got upset when he had a meeting with Muslim leaders to discuss extremism because...it distracted from radical Islam somehow?

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/curious-islamophobic-politics-dem-congressmember-tulsi-gabbard

That's a really lovely article, from a really lovely website. I'm still skeptical. I don't see why her hawkishness is an issue but not with politicians like Hilary.

And all your other claims are presented without evidence.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Gabbard also personally opposes gay marriage and refused to answer multiple times when asked if gays face oppression in America.

http://www.civilbeat.org/2012/01/14558-tulsi-gabbards-leftward-journey/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

That's a really lovely article, from a really lovely website. I'm still skeptical. I don't see why her hawkishness is an issue but not with politicians like Hilary.

And all your other claims are presented without evidence.

I mean, those are words she said and things she did, she doesn't even deny them because she thinks they're good. Her own campaign website proudly had stuff about her bravely inviting Modi over to congratulate him and the BJP for their win and complain how mean everyone was being to the dude. This isn't some controversial thing she's trying to dodge, she has no problem saying it herself.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/how-american-politics-went-insane/485570/

Democracy Must Be Stopped Says Prominent Liberal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Uncle Tom of Finland

:boom: Nice work

• Locked thread