Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, that adds a LOT of much needed context. And that does make it badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Your good intentions are so poorly conveyed.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I got confused and thought Bucky was beating him to death really smugly.

dordreff posted:

So he's beating a fat guy to death and then feels bad about it, while thinking about Bucky?

Oh my God I'm dying, I can't see that scene any other way now, you two have ruined the scene entirely.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea that moment is genuinely one of the best in Captain America, especially from the old days, but out of context it does pretty much look like Steve beat the poo poo out of a clown dude while giving him a stirring speech and Bucky was just loving it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wonder Woman's first public superhero act from Wonder Woman #10

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Awesome job on the lettering to demonstrate how loving fast Diana was moving.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

That is kind of a bad rear end story I never even knew that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dematteis' run on Captain America is one of the best, up there with Brubaker's, in my opinion.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Awesome job on the lettering to demonstrate how loving fast Diana was moving.

I can't tell if you're serious or not but I thought it was a poor execution on a good idea.

I also think the Wonder Woman ghost arms should be different levels of opacity to show stepping through time, too :v:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
i just started checking the numbers to see how well wonder woman's arms would show up on 60fps video vs the firing rate of an m4a1

i'm so sorry

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wouldn't it be mostly like those panels, where it's too fast to actually see, so you'd mostly see her arms seeming to stay still, with a slight blur/smudge effect and then the sparks of the bullet strikes?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like the analogy that Superman is Usain Bolt but Wonder Woman is Bruce Lee.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I like the analogy that Superman is Usain Bolt but Wonder Woman is Bruce Lee.

Well, she was raised from birth to be a warrior. Clark... Clark was raised to be a farmer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Some lame rear end no fun patrol nerds ITT

eVV Not completely. Like a lot of WW stuff depends on the writer/origin she has at the time but she's been shot and bled before.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 17, 2016

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Wonder Woman herself is bulletproof right? I get the bracelets go back to her creation, but she should be straight up impervious to bullets now right?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Superstring posted:

Wonder Woman herself is bulletproof right? I get the bracelets go back to her creation, but she should be straight up impervious to bullets now right?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In the same vein why do people even bother shooting at Superman unless they have, like, Kryptonite bullets or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also that's the Year One story, and she's not really aware of her all of powers as the Patrons had only recently bestowed them on her. At that point in the story, she knows she's very strong, plus she has her training from being an Amazon, and could successfully deflect a single bullet. A few issues earlier, other Amazons were shown getting injured attempting the same thing.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Pureauthor posted:

In the same vein why do people even bother shooting at Superman unless they have, like, Kryptonite bullets or something.

Hope? Panic? Fear? They may be, "the one" to actually do something? Maybe Lex Luthor will be around, and throw kryponite at him, just to be a dick and give a small time hood a story to tell? You've heard all the stories, and can't possibly believe them (Superman is a government conspiracy!)? Mr. Mxyzptlk? Any number of reality warping or magic villains want to dick with the Supes?

If you're a bank robber, what else are you going to do? I mean, you could aim for the crowd to try and distract him, but you'll just piss him off, and rack up a bigger charge when you're inevitably caught, and handed over to the police. So you throw on a bit of theater, so you can at least puff your chest while you're in prison.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pureauthor posted:

Not an answer to your question, but someone once told me there was a superman comic where a minor power-free villain went to Metropolis, and got some kryptonite. Superman catches up with him in a lead-lined bullet factory. So, where are the kryptonite bullets? They've been mixed at random in with the regular orders and shipped out days ago. The guy says something like: "When I was in jail, I saw you on tv a few times. When people shot at you, you kept doing this *mimes proudly showing chest*. I know you're gonna keep doing that, but from now on, when you do, I hope you think of me."

Because I am a bad person who doesn't like superman, if this was a real story, I might consider panels from it to be "bad" "rear end".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It wouldn't work. Kryptonite doesn't disintegrate Superman's flesh on contact, he absorbs the radiation. The bullet would bounce off of him and then he'd get mildly sick if he stood around it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I know I've seen comics where kryptonite bullets pierce super-flesh.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've seen comics where guns fire entire cartridges, it doesn't make them accurate.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The bullets disintegrate and he inhales the resultant lead-kryptonite dust
He then geta shot by regular bullets.

:colbert:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I've seen comics where guns fire entire cartridges, it doesn't make them accurate.

Right, hitting Superman at all would make them accurate.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
is it attempted murder to shoot super man?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
People shouldn't shoot at Superman - Everyone knows it's a thrown gun which is actually dangerous to him!

http://i.imgur.com/SBdHaNJ.mp4

I forget how to embed mp4s.
Fake edit: Oh, they do it automatically, just not in the preview.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

violent sex idiot posted:

is it attempted murder to shoot super man?

Mens rea probably comes into it. If I'm at a fairground and I'm shooting Superman with his knowledge and consent as an exhibition for charity, then no.

Under any other circumstances, especially while committing a crime, shooting a gun at someone is pretty much attempted murder. A solid argument could be made that I couldn't possibly know that this person in the Superman costume was impervious to gunfire, no matter what other metahuman abilities they'd displayed; even if I was shooting Superman from a building across the street as he accepted a key to the city on We Love Superman Day, at which occasion the mayor and the justice of the peace and a notary public all said THANKS, SUPERMAN, in unison, the argument could be made that (a) I wouldn't have done it had I not expected to do him harm and (b) I couldn't know for certain at that moment if he were impervious to gunfire, given the DCU history of metahumans losing some/all of their powers.

What's that gun safety rule? Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy?

My point is, violent sex idiot, don't shoot guns at people without their permission.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
This is as good a time as any to remind everybody that Law and the Multiverse is a pretty good blog dedicated to questions like these. Although possibly not that specific question.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Not an answer to your question, but someone once told me there was a superman comic where a minor power-free villain went to Metropolis, and got some kryptonite. Superman catches up with him in a lead-lined bullet factory. So, where are the kryptonite bullets? They've been mixed at random in with the regular orders and shipped out days ago. The guy says something like: "When I was in jail, I saw you on tv a few times. When people shot at you, you kept doing this *mimes proudly showing chest*. I know you're gonna keep doing that, but from now on, when you do, I hope you think of me."

Because I am a bad person who doesn't like superman, if this was a real story, I might consider panels from it to be "bad" "rear end".

That's incredibly dumb. Kryptonite is radioactive enough that the amount set into a ring gives people cancer and the vast, vast, vast majority of people buying bullets shipped from a regular factory are not going to be shooting Superman. Very few people committing crimes serious enough that Superman comes to stop them are using legally purchased stuff anyway and it also would be pretty trivial for them to track down the bullets once they were out of the lead lined factory. "Haha, Superman, I have MILDLY INCONVENIENCED YOU while you get Batman to track down the incredibly distinctive radiation signature of kryptonite. In the off chance any are missed they probably give a legitimate gun owner who never uses his gun cancer and/or end up embedded in an innocent victim!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Elfface posted:

People shouldn't shoot at Superman - Everyone knows it's a thrown gun which is actually dangerous to him!

I forget how to embed mp4s.
Fake edit: Oh, they do it automatically, just not in the preview.

I thought a gun was dangerous to that Superman?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Elfface posted:

You can't tell because it's in black and white but that gun is totally kryptonite green.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

qntm posted:

This is as good a time as any to remind everybody that Law and the Multiverse is a pretty good blog dedicated to questions like these. Although possibly not that specific question.

As it happens, they did cover it. (I binge-read this not too long ago.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought a gun was dangerous to that Superman?

:dogbutton:

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Gaz-L posted:

Wouldn't it be mostly like those panels, where it's too fast to actually see, so you'd mostly see her arms seeming to stay still, with a slight blur/smudge effect and then the sparks of the bullet strikes?

Bullets don't spark. :goonsay:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Fallen Rib
Talking about guns and heroes I always like the fact that Batman (in the days of the yellow oval) put his symbol on his chest to act as a target so people wouldn't just try shoot him in the face.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

I know I've seen comics where kryptonite bullets pierce super-flesh.

Is it still cannon that Superman has a "super layer" around him which is what protects his costume and why he can do things like carry an island without it falling apart: his super layer envelopes what he's carrying. I always thought magic and kryptonite pierces that layer leaving him just a man in above average shape (with kryptonite making him sick to boot)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It also drains all the power he's gained from the yellow sun. Or something.

Let's be honest. It does whatever the author needs it to do.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Duke Igthorn posted:

Is it still cannon that Superman has a "super layer" around him which is what protects his costume and why he can do things like carry an island without it falling apart: his super layer envelopes what he's carrying. I always thought magic and kryptonite pierces that layer leaving him just a man in above average shape (with kryptonite making him sick to boot)

It's not superman, but I always thought the Plutonian (superman archetype) had a comic book plausible explanationfor a lot of Supes powers

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Superman's clothes are also Kryptonian and are really hard to rip or damage. That's good enough for me personally