Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Drifter posted:

I'm really kind of upset that Mass Effect doesn't include a playable character in a wheelchair. It would add tactical options in combat, like if you wanted to move, you couldn't shoot because you'd be pushing the wheels.

they'd have A.I wheelchairs in teh future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is there something wrong with wanting more interesting designs? I mean, these rock people look pretty derivative and are visually uninteresting. They might be :laugh::fiesta:written well:laugh::krakken: Haha Bioware, but everything about it screams focus grouped and lowest denominator. We'll see. If they're written okay, then it would make an even better experience if we have some kickin rad visuals to back it up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope they women have huge tits or at least a nice butt?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
also remember the Kett aren't the only new aliens in this game

maybe they'll look a bit standard and others will push the boundaries a bit

alternately they're proof that the game is ruined, idk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

I'm really kind of upset that Mass Effect doesn't include a playable character in a wheelchair. It would add tactical options in combat, like if you wanted to move, you couldn't shoot because you'd be pushing the wheels.

Joker as squadmate. Giving him a wheelchair would be much nicer than forcing the cripple to amble across the ship each time he needs to poo poo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why not put jokers brain into a robot instead

Has the ME series dealt with cyborgness yet at all, apart from Shepard himself

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

Why not put jokers brain into a robot instead

Has the ME series dealt with cyborgness yet at all, apart from Shepard himself

I assume Joker's and EDI's baby would be a cyborg. That's how it works, right?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

we can only hope

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Zzulu posted:

There will be no female Kett, you know this already :v:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Veks posted:

There will be no female Kett, you know this already :v:

Actually, if you can believe a tweet from Mac Walters, the Andromeda species that has both genders will be represented in the game.

And that the hoop head alien at the end of the N7 Day trailer may be a female Kett.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
if the hoop head is the only difference between male and female that will be cool

but lol no it won't

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Can't wait to go on a hot geological survey in an alien canyon

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Stone boobs are coming.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

if the hoop head is the only difference between male and female that will be cool

but lol no it won't

It would be right in Bioware's wheelhouse to give a female character a handlebar on their head wouldn't it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jeza posted:

hottest moment in me series? probably that bit where your secretary girl gets melted into goo. melting into genetic gruel - everything about it

Nah, that point where Ash reached thermonuclear temperature s(because she was with the bomb you see)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

SgtSteel91 posted:

Actually, if you can believe a tweet from Mac Walters, the Andromeda species that has both genders will be represented in the game.

And that the hoop head alien at the end of the N7 Day trailer may be a female Kett.

There are more than "both" genders for gods sake dude

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I swear to god if this game forces me to shoot or kill anyone I'm going to post about it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

There are more than "both" genders for gods sake dude

As far as Kett go I think there would only be sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous. :v:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

CottonWolf posted:

Stone boobs are coming.

Rock hard.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Trast posted:

It would be right in Bioware's wheelhouse to give a female character a handlebar on their head wouldn't it.

haha

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I hope this game understands gender fluidity and asexuality are things that all living creatures can be born with.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/levinoise/status/799073073450217472

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/799100110030405634

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Trast posted:

As far as Kett go I think there would only be sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous. :v:

I am a geologist and I approve of this post.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Trast posted:

Gonna put my dick in that hoop.

It'll be a tight fit, but I'll do it.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

I am currently stuck somewhere in the middle of it. As I was with Mars: War Logs. As I was with Bound By Flame.
I don't know exactly what it is that these games are doing wrong. On paper they are more or less exactly like you would imagine a B-movie version of a the Bioware formula. But somehow they're a lot less engaging.

For me, it was my lightning wizard getting repeatedly beat up by every hobo on Mars.

Pattonesque posted:

also remember the Kett aren't the only new aliens in this game

Yeah, like I said, I think that's the real problem here. Every gaming news site pitched them as:

Maybe they have 800 millionty new aliens, but if you say, "here's the ONE NEW ALIEN," it's not surprising people will get the wrong impression.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah those kets are pretty low effort .

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

Yeah those kets are pretty low effort .

You're pretty low effort.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will provide more effort.

I agree with the posters who say bioware is really creating a classic sci fi where the "aliens" are "really" humans and allow them to explore stories which include racism and nationalism and political extremism without "offending" anyone or any government. Making the aliens too alien subverts this goal. Like when you see someone kill a major hosed up zombie that's all gross and decayed it's nbd. But when you kill a zombie who is your old gf slightly tinged grey it a major deal.

Also I understand the goon players impulse or desire for a more immersive and "hard" sci fi experience which deals with the truly strange and wonderful or wonder - inspiring to get more close to what an experience being an explorer in another future time may be like.

Even so, considering biowares seeming goal of making lead aliens "not too alien" the ketts appear to me to be derivative and uninspired as they ape some common alien or evil race characteristics such as horse jointed legs and human but off faces. They look like grey humans wearing a stone helmet. It does not seem very imaginative to me even considering what we consider to be their own adopted constraints.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zzulu posted:

they'd have A.I V.I. mass effect field propulsion wheelchairs in teh future
FTFY

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

euphronius posted:

I agree with the posters who say bioware is really creating a classic sci fi where the "aliens" are "really" humans and allow them to explore stories which include racism and nationalism and political extremism without "offending" anyone or any government. Making the aliens too alien subverts this goal. Like when you see someone kill a major hosed up zombie that's all gross and decayed it's nbd. But when you kill a zombie who is your old gf slightly tinged grey it a major deal.

Also I understand the goon players impulse or desire for a more immersive and "hard" sci fi experience which deals with the truly strange and wonderful or wonder - inspiring to get more close to what an experience being an explorer in another future time may be like.

Even so, considering biowares seeming goal of making lead aliens "not too alien" the ketts appear to me to be derivative and uninspired as they ape some common alien or evil race characteristics such as horse jointed legs and human but off faces. They look like grey humans wearing a stone helmet. It does not seem very imaginative to me even considering what we consider to be their own adopted constraints.

yo how come all the aliens have humans dicks and vaginas too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I was eschewing the prurient

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Drifter posted:

Is there something wrong with wanting more interesting designs? I mean, these rock people look pretty derivative and are visually uninteresting. They might be :laugh::fiesta:written well:laugh::krakken: Haha Bioware, but everything about it screams focus grouped and lowest denominator. We'll see. If they're written okay, then it would make an even better experience if we have some kickin rad visuals to back it up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Khanstant posted:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Asari look just like humans. Game ruined.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They have another video all about the vehicle designs in the games and it ends with an amazing anecdote about the master designer they brought on who suggested a really unique way for the cargo bay to work. Everyone was blown away by his suggestion and they big it up in video as this outside the box, clever as gently caress idea, and then it turns out it isn't in the loving game because the engine couldn't handle something leaning forward. The video literally ends with the lead designer trying to spin it into a positive. Absolute loving joke.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah that's actually a little funny

Ah well, the Tempest and Mako 2.0 still look cool

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

When it comes to priorities I'm okay with a cargo bay being somewhere to stack boxes and park the MAKO.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Mass Effect is like Star Citizen if the developers weren't constrained by focus groups and executives.
"We have this really cool idea but it's not fuckable and it would take too long to make."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

I am currently stuck somewhere in the middle of it. As I was with Mars: War Logs. As I was with Bound By Flame.
I don't know exactly what it is that these games are doing wrong. On paper they are more or less exactly like you would imagine a B-movie version of a the Bioware formula. But somehow they're a lot less engaging.
While I could write tirades about how the characters in Bioware games are getting more and more simplistic, formulaic and pandering over releases they're still more interesting than everything Spiders try to conjure.
I guess every iteration of their combat system being terrible doesn't help.

yeah. pretty much this. a decent of bioware characters maybe 1 note, or a trope/reverse trope from various sci-fi stuff. but the voice acting/animation/hell even writing makes them great. I love mordin, wrex, tali and garus and legion. hell i even love the characters from jade empire(where the gently caress is sequel/remake to that). Bioware does a good job with characters and making them feel "alive" or at least interesting going all the way back to kotor which was my first bioware game. just like cd projects red can.

Spiders is a weird mess because i like the ideas of the mars games, its just they feel like stuff from 2005 with all the issues that come with that, poo poo voice acting, bad combat, weird difficulty. dead environments. lots of flavor texts locked behind un-intuitive bullshit.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

For me, it was my lightning wizard getting repeatedly beat up by every hobo on Mars.

Yeah, like I said, I think that's the real problem here. Every gaming news site pitched them as:

Maybe they have 800 millionty new aliens, but if you say, "here's the ONE NEW ALIEN," it's not surprising people will get the wrong impression.

well that's just the shittyness of game journalism clickbait titles/writing in general.

euphronius posted:

yeah. i remember a lot of articles that came 3 hit that it was basically like the millennials star wars or space opera sci-fi. which i sorta agree with. it feels like a more military based star trek.