Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

boner confessor posted:

look, compromise is for suckers and idiots. the only way to achieve electoral success is to transform ourselves into a tiny rump party with no broad electoral appeal, as sanders did in the primary

*implies that economic populism has no broad electoral appeal when the mere suggestion of it by a narcissistic sociopath who fondled his daughter on national television catapauled him to the white house*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Can you like post something to discuss or are you gonna fling poo poo all day from your salt cave?

man he suffered a massive emotional shock like less than two weeks ago, give the man some space

people trying to counter-shitpost post-enlightenment bring a smile to my face, let's not take that beauty away from the world

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
who else is watching CSPAN's trump tower elevator feed? this is my life now...

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Business Gorillas posted:

*implies that economic populism has no broad electoral appeal when the mere suggestion of it by a narcissistic sociopath who fondled his daughter on national television catapauled him to the white house*

Excuse me sir I'll have you know that Hillary won the popular vote

*pushes glasses up nose*
*closes the cover of his MacBook Pro 2016*
*cries in bed and curls up with a good book and some lobster risotto*

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Motto posted:

What does "revitalize middle/rural America" actually mean? Whenever it comes up people kinda shrug when it comes to the what and how.

Temporary Immigration Centers seems like a shovel-ready program just looking for some idle land.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

Feel free to take me up on this if any of you idiots want to actually put your money where your fear mongering is.

My money is on it not being overturned. So your money is on it being overturned. Challenge accepted.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Happily take a :toxx: bet with anyone who wants to put money on the fact Roe v Wade won't be overturned in the next 8 years

:toxx:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

My money is on it not being overturned.

Thank you for finally agreeing with me, glad to see you coming around.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

Thank you for finally agreeing with me, glad to see you coming around.

I never said it would be overturned. You hosed up the terms of the toxx. No backsies.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

I never said it would be overturned. You hosed up the terms of the toxx. No backsies.

Honestly your pedantry is much more refreshing when done ironically

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sure, economic populism predicated on reversing time and maybe some racism. Economic populist policies that would actually work are less popular.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

PerniciousKnid posted:

Sure, economic populism predicated on reversing time and maybe some racism. Economic populist policies that would actually work are less popular.

google "public support for taxing the rich"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

google "public support for taxing the rich"

Oh my god.... voters...by large margins...like progressive economic reform.... 😳

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

NewForumSoftware posted:

google "Ron Paul"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

populist policies that would work are usually popular. the real issue is effectively communicating them to the whole array of demographics that people are imagining when they think of a left populist movement.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ask people that aren't in your Ted Talk audience how they feel about the rich paying their fair share

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Oh my god.... voters...by large margins...like progressive economic reform.... 😳

We don't need those racists!
*flushes himself down toilet*

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Regardless of all this bitching, the way things are going, the Republicans/conservatives/neonazis/evangelicals are in control of all three branches of the government for at least 4 years. Trump's president, Bannondorf is stuck in his ear, there's about to be at least one new heavily right-wing judge added to the SCOTUS, the GOP control the majority of congress, and states like Texas, North Carolina, and Kansas are passing laws to totally gently caress everyone over via voting rights, anti-LGBT laws, etc. I cannot overstate how hosed we are, and it's the Dems' fault.

Due to how the US electoral system work, we cannot go without the Dems. Our only choice now is to reform the Democrats. We need to band together and focus more on what we can do instead of ideological purity and infighting. We need to Get poo poo Done. The Dems have been milquetoast wimps bending to the will of the neoliberal establishment for too long, and we need to take the party back.

We need to Make Liberalism Great Again.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think the "black southern voters shouldn't be allowed to vote in presidential primaries" hot take from a few days ago is still more offensive than the "donald trump won't be that bad because he and hillary clinton are exactly the same thing" one, but only because i hear the latter repeated a lot more often by people who aren't actually targeted by republican policy

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

populist policies that would work are usually popular. the real issue is effectively communicating them to the whole array of demographics that people are imagining when they think of a left populist movement.

Of course they're popular in polls, but people don't vote for Democrats who support them without a recession to help out.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think the "black southern voters shouldn't be allowed to vote in presidential primaries" hot take from a few days ago is still more offensive than the "donald trump won't be that bad because he and hillary clinton are exactly the same thing" one, but only because i hear the latter repeated a lot more often by people who aren't actually targeted by republican policy

Post the hot take

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

i hear the latter repeated a lot more often by people who aren't actually targeted by republican policy

Reminder that a large part of this threas is now angry jews, or are we going to the repeat the hot take of "they look white enough to fit in so they don't have it as bad as I do?"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

I dunno, "Donald Trump is literally just Hillary Clinton in drag" is pretty loving offensive, if only for the sheer amount of either willful blindness or deliberate dismissal of every issue except that person's own pet issue it requires. But "actually gently caress southern democrats" is pretty heinous too. It's tough.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm going to henceforth call bernie bros postliberal every post
Please don't normalize Bernie Sanders

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
remember that when people are whining about purifiying the democratic party and booting out conservatives and moderates they're talking about minorities. the big question is if they're aware of this and don't care or are merely accidental racists

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Reminder that a large part of this threas is now angry jews, or are we going to the repeat the hot take of "they look white enough to fit in so they don't have it as bad as I do?"

Basically every take in this thread is both searing hot and super bad, I concur. Including this take, bless me father for I have sinned!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

We don't need those racists!
*flushes himself down toilet*

"I'm not owneeeeeeed!"
*spins around comically while getting sucked into the septic tank*

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Quorum posted:

I dunno, "Donald Trump is literally just Hillary Clinton in drag" is pretty loving offensive, if only for the sheer amount of either willful blindness or deliberate dismissal of every issue except that person's own pet issue it requires. But "actually gently caress southern democrats" is pretty heinous too. It's tough.

How black are southern Democrats?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Of course they're popular in polls, but people don't vote for Democrats who support them without a recession to help out.

again this is what i mean when i say that communicating the message is the hard part, not least because the left in general loving sucks at messaging to people outside their traditional base.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

boner confessor posted:

remember that when people are whining about purifiying the democratic party and booting out conservatives and moderates they're talking about minorities. the big question is if they're aware of this and don't care or are merely accidental racists

(((minorities)))

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Quorum posted:

I dunno, "Donald Trump is literally just Hillary Clinton in drag" is pretty loving offensive, if only for the sheer amount of either willful blindness or deliberate dismissal of every issue except that person's own pet issue it requires.

all it requires is a basic understanding of how the political system works in America, sorry for not being willing to buy into the "my wall street puppet is better than your wall street puppet" facebook bonanza

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

Hahahahaha look at how dumb you are

E: and racist too, since you seem to be implying certain people of color are all the same :eyepop:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PerniciousKnid posted:

do you mean their skin color or their wicked neoliberal souls? the answer to both is "very"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

all it requires is a basic understanding of how the political system works in America, sorry for not being willing to buy into the "my wall street puppet is better than your wall street puppet" facebook bonanza

My Wall Street puppet called black children superpredators and also likes bombing innocent Muslim children :abuela:

Let's do a race to the bottom to see which Wall Street puppet is the worse

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

Hella black, like, so black. Like if you brought them together with Oregon's delegation to the DNC they'd annihilate each other and produce decades of clean power

paranoid randroid posted:

again this is what i mean when i say that communicating the message is the hard part, not least because the left in general loving sucks at messaging to people outside their traditional base.

Part of the reason the left sucks so much at messaging, aside from its lack of a rabid fractal spiral of increasingly insane propaganda outlets, is because it's messaging to a diverse, pluralistic body of people. Republicans are screaming at the top of their lungs to a relatively limited set of demographics. This makes their task somewhat simpler.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

do you mean their skin color or their wicked neoliberal souls? the answer to both is "very"

ahh yes, the blacks, noted supporters of deregulation, lowering taxes on the rich, free trade agreements, and privatization

this might be the hottest take yet in this thread :allears:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"we need to purge the party of wealthy coastal elites" *advocates policies that disenfranchise poor minority voters in red states, poor urban voters, basically anyone who doesn't attend a midwestern liberal arts college etc.*

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

NewForumSoftware posted:

Hmm still not sure which of those boxes you check, and also, who cares?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

"we need to purge the party of wealthy coastal elites" *advocates policies that disenfranchise poor minority voters in red states, poor urban voters, basically anyone who doesn't attend a midwestern liberal arts college etc.*

yeah i hate it when universal healthcare disenfranches poor people

europe is the worst

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It might be fun to watch it all burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Shukaro posted:

It might be fun to watch it all burn

if this thread is anything to go by we'll also have a eight year long performance by neoliberals attempting to normalize the poo poo policies that got them here in the first place

the schadenfreude would be delicious if it wasn't so sad

• Locked thread