Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Related video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-lO3icB2WM

synthetik posted:

The most ridiculous patch notes from 10 years of Dwarf Fortress

My favorite:

* Cats dying for no reason - alcohol poisoning?
That one was eventually explained. Cats lick themselves clean, and thus were counted as "consuming" puddles of whatever they had stepped in.

Golden list, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I love this video.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Doc Hawkins posted:

That one was eventually explained. Cats lick themselves clean, and thus were counted as "consuming" puddles of whatever they had stepped in.

Golden list, though.

They missed the geese making GBS threads iron thrones. And frankly, while that list is pretty good, it's nowhere near as long as it needs to be to cover the breadth of all the bugs and "features" that amazing game has wrought.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Which version had goblin raiding parties sometimes spawn with a bear as a sergeant?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It also misses the time he discovered that for the past several years dwarves had been only a few inches tall.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Was it a bug or working as intended when severed body parts could become citizens of a civilization after they'd been brought to life by a necromancer?'

Seriously, that list doesn't even scratch the surface.

Edit: Also, there was a time where if you trapped a humanoid creature (say, a goblin) in a cage, forcibly stripped them, then threw their clothes into magma, the creature itself would spontaneously combust. This could be used to make a pressure-plate trap that dropped clothes into a volcano, which set a caged goblin on fire, causing nearby alcohol barrels to ignite and explode.

Maximum Tomfoolery has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Nov 17, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

It also misses the time he discovered that for the past several years dwarves had been only a few inches tall.

Seems legit to me.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I don't know why it cuts off but

e:

e2:

Dwarf Fortress Patch Notes posted:

(*) Fixed world generation freeze caused by error in poetry refrains

Maximum Tomfoolery has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Nov 17, 2016

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

And that's terrible.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Which version had goblin raiding parties sometimes spawn with a bear as a sergeant?

It had better be the current version

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4M0YQQNZg0

WWE 2K17 is working as intended

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was a pretty funny glitch when I was doing a practice run on Dog's Life that unfortunately I wan't able to replicate for the LP, where the mailman in Clarksville Village Houses got back into his mailvan - however the mailvan itself has since despawned so he just climbed into and sat on thin air.

Also in the Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit game if you break down a particular door in the church for a collectible behind it, you can then wall jump up the alcove , which is outside. If you go as far as you can, Gromit then grabs onto the top of the invisible wall and you can walk on top of it, exploring the Church from like 20 feet in the air. :3:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Nov 17, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

One of the versions had an entirely legit, non-bug scenario where one of the human kingdoms' primary diplomats was an ancient, immortal, invincible pink gelatinous horror from beyond the beyond. This happened because it was intelligent enough to speak and had been adopted by the human civilisation. It was their trader, and it sat in the dwarven trade area for multiple months swapping stone mugs for logs and intriguing foreign alcohols before peacefully departing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Somfin posted:

One of the versions had an entirely legit, non-bug scenario where one of the human kingdoms' primary diplomats was an ancient, immortal, invincible pink gelatinous horror from beyond the beyond. This happened because it was intelligent enough to speak and had been adopted by the human civilisation. It was their trader, and it sat in the dwarven trade area for multiple months swapping stone mugs for logs and intriguing foreign alcohols before peacefully departing.

Any intelligent character can join a civilization, there are so many stories of demons and poo poo being in human caravans on the bay12 forums.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Somfin posted:

Originally their "building destroyer" tag meant that their diplomat AI was constantly overridden by their lust for destruction of every door and workshop.

quote:

Fort was going fairly normally; no previous problems with diplomats. Fort population 77-78. Suddenly, I was greeted by this message:

"A lizard demonic diplomat from [human civ] has arrived."

Looking at the civs page, I discovered that one of their nobility ("Zakosp, Lawgiver") is apparently the new diplomat. On his way towards my fort, he took a few abrupt detours to punt small wildlife halfway across the map, demonstrating his might and periodically letting off clouds of "frozen lizard demonic extract" (referred to as 'deadly dust' in his description).

It occurred to me that he was going to want to have diplomatic discussions with one of my dwarves. ...but only after following them around for months. ...inside my fort. ...wherever that dwarf happened to decide to go...

When Zakosp got to the entrance of the fort, I discovered he had the 'destroy any constructions/buildings he walks near' trait. In the first 5-10 seconds of him going through the fort, I lost 3-6 floodgates, 2-5 workshops, and half a dozen or more doors. No people or pets, yet.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Nov 17, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Makes sense that being a demon wouldn't necessarily bar you from nobility and/or ambassadorship, but mmmmmaybe the psychopathic need to destroy all signs of civilization should at least lower your chances.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Makes sense that being a demon wouldn't necessarily bar you from nobility and/or ambassadorship, but mmmmmaybe the psychopathic need to destroy all signs of civilization should at least lower your chances.

I'd buy it if he were a diplomat from an Elven kingdom

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SINs8e6sQ

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

I dunno, she doesn't sound like a trustworthy source, I don't believe her

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I hadn't noticed until now: demon of lies? Now that is an embarrassing bug.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

I hadn't noticed until now: demon of lies? Now that is an embarrassing bug.

Technically she's lying. She says that a demon plots to kill the king after he's already dead. In truth a demon planned to king and succeeded, not is planning to kill the king.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Huh, technically she (?) says that "they say" a demon is so plotting. I guess we don't have enough information to determine if that's a lie or not.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Doc Hawkins posted:

Huh, technically she (?) says that "they say" a demon is so plotting. I guess we don't have enough information to determine if that's a lie or not.

Considering that the actual King apparently believed that she (well, her mortal guise) was trustworthy enough to marry and keep on hand in his court, we may extrapolate that nobody was actually spreading rumours about her. She lied about that so as to draw the King's attention, causing him to lean closer to listen so she could assassinate him. Grain of truth to make the lie more believable and all that.

This demon is really good at lies.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

horse pushups?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSyvjKbwLeI

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Dwarf Fortress is a never-ending font of the most incredible bugs, glitches, and exploits, and has probably had its own thread for that at some point. Dwarves climbing into trees for fruit and then starving because they forgot to climb back down has been all but normalized into the game experience. Amateur necromancers being suspected of necromancy by their own creations and fleeing. Various things exploding because they start on Embark at thousands of degrees (barrels of alcohol, pets, DWARVES...). Giant rampaging megabeasts spontaneously becoming semi-tame and (mostly) peacefully coexisting with dwarven civs. Entire layers of the parts of bodies being made of random materials, like skin made of chalk that melted in the rain. Mining the impossible unobtanium bedrock of the world, as dense as a neutron star, and painstakingly carrying boulders of it up to the fort over the course of months. Diplomats that also had kidnapper, thief, building-destroyer, or other less-than-optimal-diplomacy tags. Inept vampires trying to blame babies for their crimes (though this is more of a feature). Infinite power through water-pump loops. Dropping a tile of aquifer in a cave-in so that you have an infinite fresh-water source anywhere below that point that you want. Entire machines that create obsidian boulders that immediately cave in onto anything below as a defense mechanism. Launching loaded mine-carts through arrow-slits as projectiles, and then later only slightly more sensibly using minecarts and arrow-slits to launch boulder-shot at invaders. Invaders who were at one point in time stoppable by telling them they weren't allowed to path into the fort. Ridiculous mega-artifacts created over the course of years using thousands of units of materials by a dwarf who never in the entire process stops to eat, sleep, or drink. The list is almost literally endless.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My favorite is by FAR the Quantum Stockpile. You create a single square sized garbage dump, preferably in the middle of where your workshops will be, and then mark all your stone and your logs to be dumped there. The dwarves will happily begin shoving more and more items into the exact same tiny space, entire forests worth of logs and whole mountains of excavated stone. Then you simply (R)eclaim the goods, and they will have no troubles pulling out whatever rock they need to carve out some kitschy garbage to pawn off onto idiot caravans in exchange for useful goods. It keeps the Fort tidy and most importantly if put in the right spot can really increase the efficiency of workers since they aren't spending time looking for that one piece of random basalt three z-levels down.

Of course you can do it with any items, but I stick to just logs and stone because it doesn't feel like cheating as much; it's just insane dorf-physics!

I like to imagine it as a giant vibrating blur of objects, like if you place a bunch of physics objects inside one another and they start bouncing around and wiggling a bunch, except times a million.

Then there's also the Danger Room, made by filling a room with training spear traps all connected to the same lever. You make sure you have your militia armored with the highest quality full plate, shields, and weapons you can make or buy and then lock them inside, and order someone to constantly pull the lever to activate the spears. The militadorfs will try and block (for shield exp), and/or parry (for weapon exp), and or dodge (for... dodging exp) and if they fail the spears will hopefully clatter harmlessly off their platemail (for armor-user exp). And since you can place TEN spears per trap, and they react to each individually, that's ten times as much potential XP. Every other time the lever is pulled. And dorfs can pull levers FAST. So in a little under twenty minutes real time, or a few days, maybe a week in game, you will have legendary, godlike warriors who will still probably die to an arrow to the eye, but are much more likely to take a lot of enemies down with them.

However, do not allow any mothers be in the militia, because they will opt to hold their infant children in their arms over a weapon or shield, and the first time that little bearded baby takes ten wooden spears to the soft spot on its head it will be turned into a fine mist of former baby. The same goes for any pets or civilians that wander in before you start training.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still convinced that Dwarf Fortress isn't a game so much as a prank that has been going on for a decade at this point.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

You know the long, incomprehensible, and often somehow recursive artifacts that insane dwarves make out of random mixes of precious materials and garbage? That's Dwarf Fortress, and Toady is the insane dwarf.

It menaces with spikes of impossicode and skin-layer physics.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Dwarf Fortress is a bug that occasionally produces a game under unusual circumstances.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Crosspostin' from the Dungeonmans thread, of all places:

MUDs :allears:
This one didn't get enough love. It really reminded me of a couple of my favorite stories from the old griefing thread - something about MUD stories made them just that much more special to me.

In Which Hassan Chops
Binky's Midnight Meat Carnival Of Pubbie Tears

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Then you have a legendary warrior in plate armor gone absolutely batshit insane and will proceed to kill the butchers cat, which causes them to go ratfuck mad, and that causes them to not do their job and then one dwarf goes mentally invalid because of a lack of good meat and then they pull the emergency kill everything lever.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

From the same stream:

https://youtu.be/ST0rj55uq3s?t=53s

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I know they're not real glitches but I can't stop watching 'car boys' on YouTube. My girlfriend got mad at me because I was laughing too much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

I know they're not real glitches but I can't stop watching 'car boys' on YouTube. My girlfriend got mad at me because I was laughing too much.

They're real glitches.

Well, maybe not the ARG

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm the guy holding the sign saying "WHAT?"

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

cubicle gangster posted:

My girlfriend got mad at me because I was laughing too much.

she sounds lovely

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Fallout tactics

In multiplayer, you buy a squad of characters, their skills and weapons for points. Dogs are an after-thought, and pretty much just included as variety, and are rendered useless by being restricted to carrying one item, otherwise becoming immobile. except;

if you only buy enough ammo for a weapon, that it can all be loaded inside the weapon, the ammo inside a weapon is no longer counted as a separate item. this means you can have a really cheap (points wise) dog, with super high level, sneak & unarmed skills, sprinting around attacking with a power-fist.

F*R*I*E*N*D*S - True Friends

This Point & Click FMV games was ahead of its time, being one of the first (alongside Ultima, i think?) where you had save-compability that let you carry choices over from different story lines. Basically there were story lines focused on individual friendships, like Chander/Joey, Ross/Rachel, Monica/Chandler, and most allowed for at least a good and a bad ending, with the good ending basically being the friends managing to retain their friendship, and the bad ending meaning they split up over differences, misunderstandings, or just drift apart. Some are pretty sad and heavy, rather than fun, really. For instance, the "bad" Chandler/Joey line has Chandler growing up, raising a family, and Joey is just stuck in an unfulfilling rut and they drift apart.

Anyway, the game has a host of bugs that will mess your save game and the endings up. In the "Joey doesn't share" scene, you're meant to give Joey fries, but presenting him with other items from your inventory (you'll do this just to hear lines, usually) and he will "eat" those items too, like he would the fries, without any notification even if it is an essential quest item. this act of gluttony from Joey, means that all of the Joey lines; Joey/Chandler, Joey/Monica, Joey/Ross/Rachel, will all resolve badly. Phoebe has a similar problem, because she is virtually indistinguishable from Ursula throughout the game, and you'll end up giving Ursula essential Phoebe items. As dumb as that is, anyone who followed to show will probably find it pretty appropriate, that Joey and Phoebe eventually gets shunned from the rest of the group and ends up in bleak, fulfilling bachelor and spinster existences.

edited: actually not sure if considered shareware at this point and i'd rather not get banned for warez.

Grandmother of Five has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Nov 18, 2016

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The stupid Friends fanfiction people write about a non-existent game is real dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
In Overwatch, Roadhog (fat guy) has a big hook he can launch out to hook peeps and drag em in and wave hi or shoot them point blank in the face or whatever. Sombra (the player character in this video) can set up a teleport beacon and teleport back to that location. What happens when both of these abilities occur at once?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMZTGY6X2A0

GenericOverusedName has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Nov 18, 2016