Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Thats why its the best one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[lost in an enchanted dream, a veritable menagerie of the subconscious]

but what's her motivation.... next

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

afaik Remedy had switched their priorities to multiplayer games and VR after Quantum Break bombed, so don't expect much from that teaser.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought they got hired by a korean company to make a free to play FPS or something

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was meh on spirited away, it wasn't bad and it was very pretty but I thought it suffered from nothing really sticking with me outside of some character designs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Guess Quantum Break wasn't a disaster for them.

Reports earlier this year were that qb's sales drove them to find a different publisher for their next game instead of microsoft and to backburner a microsoft published project they were going to start on.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The only Miyazaki film I've seen is Ni No Kuni.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

devtesla posted:

If y'all haven't seen The Tale of Princess Kaguya watch it, it's the best thing Ghibli ever made.

When you're right, you're right

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ben Smash posted:

Unrelated but, what's with slovenly white guys and basketball shorts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEemjS2lMeA

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

Well I beat Mother 3.

It rules.

Also a podcast I listen to (We Hate Movies) had an exchange about basketball shorts once in which it was suggested that some creeps wear them bc they're the easiest kind of pants to do stuff like jerk off in a theater in. Always beware of the huge basketball shorts guy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like just watched Spirited Away. When do we get a theatrical release of Howl's Moving Castle?

e: I would also accept Ponyo

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A very good anime movie is: mind game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My favourite anime movie is MGS4 hahaha

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I like Paprika

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiU2mZYunV0

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Holy poo poo this thread moves quick...

PantsBandit posted:

Barcades like you mentioned that just charge for drinks have a really hard time buying/maintaining new machines. Unfortunately arcade cabinets are expensive and finicky as gently caress, and a guy buying a couple rum and cokes and playing all night doesn't pay the bills like people shoving quarters into pacman.

Humm, I don't know how but 16-Bit Bar+Arcade seems to be doing very very well.. They now have 3 locations with a ton of arcade games that always seem to be working and the one in Cincy is in a spot that I know the rent cannot be cheap and the one in Columbus has been there at least 3 years?

Ben Smash posted:

Ayo, fyallm, Killer Queen is awesome. You were at Logan Arcade, correct? Hit me up, that's my spot for hot Marvel Vs Capcom 2 action.

Yeah we had some people with us that don't really like arcade games that ended up loving Killer Queen! I was actually at this place called Abari Game Bar in Charlotte NC.. The place was like an abandoned warehouse with not alot of games and was super run down.. Totally different vibe than 16 bit.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh cool, I decided to reboot my computer and now it's gonna be preparing to configure Windows for a drat month.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

devtesla posted:

If y'all haven't seen The Tale of Princess Kaguya watch it, it's the best thing Ghibli ever made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtc-PP2GWPo

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno why a combination of a small cover (to catch people just coming in for games) and drinks couldn't keep a barcade afloat. I've never worked at a bar, but the profit margins on liquor and wine must be incredible.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

fyallm posted:

Humm, I don't know how but 16-Bit Bar+Arcade seems to be doing very very well.. They now have 3 locations with a ton of arcade games that always seem to be working and the one in Cincy is in a spot that I know the rent cannot be cheap and the one in Columbus has been there at least 3 years?

Yeah we had some people with us that don't really like arcade games that ended up loving Killer Queen! I was actually at this place called Abari Game Bar in Charlotte NC.. The place was like an abandoned warehouse with not alot of games and was super run down.. Totally different vibe than 16 bit.

Hullo possible Columbus friend. I've seen Killer Queen a few times; they have a set at Arcade Super Awesome (and I'm pretty sure I saw it at Ground Kontrol in Portland) and their league nights seem like a lot of hectic fun. The developers of KQ come by for a tournament there and signed some stuff. I've never played, but ten players for a $1 a game is a good way to market a new arcade game to the barcade group. Most of the places I seek out have pinball tables and those are almost never on free play. I look at a place like Level One Bar+Arcade (might also have Killer Queen) and wonder how they make enough for rent, staffing, and maintenance on dozens of arcade cabinets and a dozen pins with just (slightly over-priced) drinks. Even worse, I go to Arcade Super Awesome regularly and I only buy the drinks on special for $3 or less. It's my favorite hangout but I'll be damned if I'll pay $6 a beer when a cheaper craft is available.

I can't really think of another new arcade game more recent than Killer Queen though, and it bucks most of the trends the arcade industry held onto for decades. MAME cabinets, I guess, but that's it and I wouldn't count it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

wizard on a water slide posted:

I dunno why a combination of a small cover (to catch people just coming in for games) and drinks couldn't keep a barcade afloat. I've never worked at a bar, but the profit margins on liquor and wine must be incredible.

I've been to a few barcades and I don't think I've ever been charged a cover. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, but you'd have to have a great collection of games for me to pay even a marginal cover and not just go to another location (or pay the cover for the night and never return).

Some places will have bigger machines like DDR or likewise that costs money to play, but how many people who have to play before you'd offset the cost of even one repair call for a weak foot button, not to mention the initial cost of purchasing the machine and transporting it. One thing I'd say is in the favor of barcades is they always seem packed. It must hit all the right buttons for an era of people who grew up around arcades who are now old enough to drink and so soaked in entertainment culture that they'd rather play something with friends than sit at a table and talk.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I feel like the crowds I see at barcades never went to an arcade before the last year or two, myself included.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm this close to just pressing in the power button I swear to god

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Fix it with spells? Dang do we have to walk you through everything

Also anybody else itt getting Pokemon tonight?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

don't do it!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fix it with spells? Dang do we have to walk you through everything

My copy is arriving tomorrow but I can't wait.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is an indignity.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Barcades all over Chicago. There's one that's a bit trash since it's a college bar but the pinball selection is great. Drinks are loving expensive and it's a massive meat market on the weekends. One of the originals in Chicago has a staggeringly large beer selection and a stage so that's usually a good spot to hit for a fun night.

Barcades are great even if the people going aren't "into" games, after a few drinks most people will let you demolish them in mortal Kombat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
last week, I set LateX installing overnight on my pc. Woke up to find that it had restarted to install updates MID INSTALL. Windows is garbage.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is an indignity.

Be strong, Lizard Wizard. We believe in you :sterv:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

deadly_pudding posted:

Be strong, Lizard Wizard. We believe in you :sterv:

that smiley and its associated avatar will never not be amazingly funny to me

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yesterday I preordered pokemon again at a different store that is actually open at midnight tonight.

Gotta catch em all as soon as possible

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What happened to the video game deal megathread

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hullo possible Columbus friend. I've seen Killer Queen a few times; they have a set at Arcade Super Awesome (and I'm pretty sure I saw it at Ground Kontrol in Portland) and their league nights seem like a lot of hectic fun. The developers of KQ come by for a tournament there and signed some stuff. I've never played, but ten players for a $1 a game is a good way to market a new arcade game to the barcade group. Most of the places I seek out have pinball tables and those are almost never on free play. I look at a place like Level One Bar+Arcade (might also have Killer Queen) and wonder how they make enough for rent, staffing, and maintenance on dozens of arcade cabinets and a dozen pins with just (slightly over-priced) drinks. Even worse, I go to Arcade Super Awesome regularly and I only buy the drinks on special for $3 or less. It's my favorite hangout but I'll be damned if I'll pay $6 a beer when a cheaper craft is available.

I can't really think of another new arcade game more recent than Killer Queen though, and it bucks most of the trends the arcade industry held onto for decades. MAME cabinets, I guess, but that's it and I wouldn't count it.

Yeah man, the league nights for KQ are insane... But yeah 16bit does charge for pinball and I think everyone is ok with that because of how expensive the maintenance is. I guess the barcades I am use to have a great selection of local craft beer and awesome drinks :HULK HOGAN :VODKA + LEMONADE + ORIGINAL BOMB POP POPSICLE

And yeah I would say there are alot more people at these that wouldnt of went to an old school regular arcade...

I tweeted at both 16 bit and the KQ guys saying they need to hook up and they both liked my tweet *gushes* I hope this happens!

EDIT: Video Game Megadeal thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2408877

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've posted about it before but if you live near Chicago and like arcade games you absolutely owe it to yourself to go to Galloping Ghost Arcade. Its a flat fee for all day free play of 550+ cabinets that grows weekly, its so sick. I miss it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bob NewSCART posted:

What happened to the video game deal megathread

The deals were so hot that Big Gaming shut us down.

Or it's here I guess

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm fine with paying for pinball because 1) it's a mechanical game with tons of moving parts that can be expensive to maintain and 2) most tables reward skill with replays and extra balls, and then you've got a 1 in 10 shot at a free game at the end with newer tables. With a little luck I can nearly double the value of my coin drop, something that's much harder on an arcade cabinet designed to eat money.

I like barcades that remind me of the arcades I used to go to: dark walls, tinted windows, and lots of mirrored surfaces. If it's cramped and you can't hear anything over the deafening crush of sound effects, even better.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shutting down! :toot:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Just don't read the book

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm catching a flight tomorrow morning so hopefully it'll be on the nintendo store for me to purchase + download before I leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Shutting down! :toot:

I'm more tense than I was on election night.

• Locked thread