Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

creatine posted:

Thanks! Yeah I don't expect to get $20 but would like at least $18. I'm trying to look up the area average salary and the ones I see from publicly known places has this position start around $45,000, but those are from universities that have pay grades online. I just don't know how to phrase it because this is entry level and j don't have anything that I can really leverage.

I think you've done what you can, but I know exactly what you're feeling. Having the average salary in mind is a good place to start when it comes time to negotiate. You could always say something along the lines of "I am really enthusiastic to work for LAB X and know that I'll be a great fit for the team. My only concern is that the salary seems below the area average for this kind of work. Would you be able to increase it to say, $18.50?" And I would use intangibles like your enthusiasm and ability to be a successful team player as leverage. Again, I have only successfully negotiated once an offer has been made and never during an interview, generally because the person that decides the pay isn't at the interview, but YMMV. To be honest the worst they can do is say "no, it's $16.50", in which case you're exactly where you started and no worse for wear. That it's a big lab means that they should be used to candidates negotiating and aren't going to withdraw an offer because you tried to get an extra $1.50. The main thing I would say is know what you're worth, don't sell yourself short, and that if they really won't budge this might not be the lab for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

No Egrets posted:

I think you've done what you can, but I know exactly what you're feeling. Having the average salary in mind is a good place to start when it comes time to negotiate. You could always say something along the lines of "I am really enthusiastic to work for LAB X and know that I'll be a great fit for the team. My only concern is that the salary seems below the area average for this kind of work. Would you be able to increase it to say, $18.50?" And I would use intangibles like your enthusiasm and ability to be a successful team player as leverage. Again, I have only successfully negotiated once an offer has been made and never during an interview, generally because the person that decides the pay isn't at the interview, but YMMV. To be honest the worst they can do is say "no, it's $16.50", in which case you're exactly where you started and no worse for wear. That it's a big lab means that they should be used to candidates negotiating and aren't going to withdraw an offer because you tried to get an extra $1.50. The main thing I would say is know what you're worth, don't sell yourself short, and that if they really won't budge this might not be the lab for you.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'm lucky in that I can potentially make $21+/hr if I go into management at current job, but I don't want to to do that and want to get into science.

Edit: I also don't expect them to mention anything pay wise on this, but want to be prepared if they make an offer. This one feels good because they called for an interview only 2 days after I applied. The other ones I've had called me like 6 weeks after applying

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Problem! posted:

This is somewhat related to this thread but I'm not sure where else to ask:

My husband has a job interview later this week, I've just found out that someone fairly high up in my company is good friends with the guy doing the interview and it was suggested I reach out to him to ask for him to put in a good word for my husband. Now I've talked to this guy a few times so I'm not some total stranger but we're also not buddy-buddy.

How do I word it so it doesn't sound like straight up nepotism? Or do I just leave it and hope word of mouth travels to him? Husband getting this job is a key piece that leads to me accepting a transfer for a promotion so it's in my company'a interest to help him get this job.

I'm not sure if I'd take the "it's in our companies interest my husband gets a job so I can get a promotion so I'd like you to help me out"-route. It makes it look like you are mostly doing it for yourself (even though I get it's not just that).

Not sure how your companies culture is, but at the places where I've worked it'd be perfectly normal to ask colleagues to have join you for a cup of coffee for a quick sideways work related talk.

Just be up front and tell the guy your husband is interviewing at company x and that you heard/know he knows the company. Ask him if he can give you some good advice for your husbands interview.

That way you leave it completely open and up to him.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm looking for work in the graphics field and need someplace I can use for a gallery. The stuff is on DA at the moment, and while the layout is nice the place itself has an association with bad drawings of catgirls. Is there any place like DeviantArt that isn't DeviantArt?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm looking for work in the graphics field and need someplace I can use for a gallery. The stuff is on DA at the moment, and while the layout is nice the place itself has an association with bad drawings of catgirls. Is there any place like DeviantArt that isn't DeviantArt?

You could always build a portfolio page using a service like squarespace (that's what I do, anyway)!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
So here's my question. If I'm applying for jobs (via email, specifically, stuff that's overtly timestamped), but I'm doing so late at night (it's ten to midnight right now) do you think that casts shade on a candidate? I'm a night owl as it is so it's the perfect time for me.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

19 o'clock posted:

So here's my question. If I'm applying for jobs (via email, specifically, stuff that's overtly timestamped), but I'm doing so late at night (it's ten to midnight right now) do you think that casts shade on a candidate? I'm a night owl as it is so it's the perfect time for me.

I've wondered this as well, but I do know there are email settings to send the email for you at a later time. So you can compose your email for a job and que it up to send at 8 am or similar. You may have to google around a bit for settings or scripting if its not natively supported by your email of choice.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Darth Brooks posted:

Coroflot is what I used. It's way more professional looking and has an associated design job board. I got my first job through them.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Dribble is another one, though maybe it's targeted more towards UI/UX?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Goodpancakes posted:

I've wondered this as well, but I do know there are email settings to send the email for you at a later time. So you can compose your email for a job and que it up to send at 8 am or similar. You may have to google around a bit for settings or scripting if its not natively supported by your email of choice.

Good point! I just decided to send things out this morning, but queuing them up ahead of time would obviously be more ideal.

I figure any place that I'd want to work for (especially because I'm an experienced hire) wouldn't mind if I was getting things done on my own time. Probably would matter more were I an entry-level applicant.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
What are people's thoughts on business cards for networking? I'm currently on a contract job that ends soon, and looking for a new job, and there is a big networking event next month held by AMA and a few other groups in marketing (my field). Would it be beneficial to create a generic business card that gives my contact info to hand out? My only question is what title would I put on there?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

momtartin posted:

What are people's thoughts on business cards for networking? I'm currently on a contract job that ends soon, and looking for a new job, and there is a big networking event next month held by AMA and a few other groups in marketing (my field). Would it be beneficial to create a generic business card that gives my contact info to hand out? My only question is what title would I put on there?

I hardly ever give out any these days, but do carry a few around just in case. But I'm not (actively) looking for a new job.

As for title, use the one in your job description or linked in profile?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

This paper application I have to fill out for interview tomorrow asks for "expected earnings" and the salaries from my current and former jobs. Should I fill these out?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

creatine posted:

This paper application I have to fill out for interview tomorrow asks for "expected earnings" and the salaries from my current and former jobs. Should I fill these out?

I put zeroes or dashes in these fields and if it's ever been a problem, I've never heard of it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\ it was also banned in MA earlier this year

creatine posted:

No

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

never under any circumstances fill out current salary or you are immediately loving yourself out of thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars in potential earnings

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

19 o'clock posted:

I've never personally thought that was weird from a candidate. In cases where I've gotten emails from internal recruiters at 3 AM local time, my opinion of them is that their company culture is hosed.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I have an interview today with D. I don't really want the job at D. I want jobs A, B, or C. But A, B, and C wont be able to interview for ~ a month.

If somehow, however unlikely, D offers me the job today, how do I string them along for a month so I can find out about A, B or C? Do I have to except the job with D and then just flake out on them in a month if I get hired for one of the better positions? Is that totally unethical and I should just cancel the interview today with D? Or should I just ask D for $$$?

e: Actually this is really simple. I obviously just ask D for everything I want and don't except anything less.

AARO fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 17, 2016

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

AARO posted:

I have an interview today with D. I don't really want the job at D. I want jobs A, B, or C. But A, B, and C wont be able to interview for ~ a month.

If somehow, however unlikely, D offers me the job today, how do I string them along for a month so I can find out about A, B or C? Do I have to except the job with D and then just flake out on them in a month if I get hired for one of the better positions? Is that totally unethical and I should just cancel the interview today with D? Or should I just ask D for $$$?

e: Actually this is really simple. I obviously just ask D for everything I want and don't except anything less.

Yes, and then if D gives you everything you can leverage that at the others. If you don't care about D then just leave later when it's convenient if they don't give you everything you ask for.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Problem! posted:

Coroflot is what I used. It's way more professional looking and has an associated design job board. I got my first job through them.

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Here's my (incomplete) profile. http://www.coroflot.com/darthbrooks/profile I'll take whatever suggestions you have.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

AARO posted:

Ask for everything you want and if you get a better offer then quit. Companies have no issue laying people off or terminating job offers if conditions change. You should do the same.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

My interview went very well and I am confident I will be getting an offer. My only issue is the pay. They said their starting pay for this position is $16.50/hr which is about a $4000/yr paycut. It's something I want to do but I can't afford to lose that much money, especially since my student loans just came off deferment.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Sigh. Made it three interviews deep over a month long process, made the cut to one of the top two applicants out of over 200, everything went well, and then they took the other guy over me.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty devastated. I've been looking for a career kinda job ever since finishing grad school half a year ago. It's been a grind given that I've got a pretty non traditional resume for a STEM major. I got hyped up and could have really seen myself doing interesting work at that place and it seemed like a great fit for me. Suppose that's what I get for getting my hopes up before having a contract signed.

I know that's how it goes, one of us in the top two round was gonna go home disappointed. But I really thought that this... quest, or whatever, might have finally been over and that I'd even get a cool job out of it.

Back to sending out resumes and cover letters to lovely finance and advertising analytics firms that I'm not that interested in. I know when I phrase it like that it sounds self sabotaging, but if I only applied for jobs that really interested me I'd be sending out one resume a week. I just got so close to one of the cooler jobs that I've applied for that it's frustrating going back to the grind.

OK, venting over.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Darth Brooks posted:

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Here's my (incomplete) profile. http://www.coroflot.com/darthbrooks/profile I'll take whatever suggestions you have.

I know you're still working on it, but spam your "specialties" tags with everything a recruiter with jobs you'd like would filter profiles for. So Graphic Design and Illustrator and Photoshop and InDesign and everything else you use and do and synonyms thereof.

I would link mine but it's like 7 years out of date and I kind of don't want to look at it.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

attackmole posted:

Sigh. Made it three interviews deep over a month long process, made the cut to one of the top two applicants out of over 200, everything went well, and then they took the other guy over me.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty devastated. I've been looking for a career kinda job ever since finishing grad school half a year ago. It's been a grind given that I've got a pretty non traditional resume for a STEM major. I got hyped up and could have really seen myself doing interesting work at that place and it seemed like a great fit for me. Suppose that's what I get for getting my hopes up before having a contract signed.

I know that's how it goes, one of us in the top two round was gonna go home disappointed. But I really thought that this... quest, or whatever, might have finally been over and that I'd even get a cool job out of it.

Back to sending out resumes and cover letters to lovely finance and advertising analytics firms that I'm not that interested in. I know when I phrase it like that it sounds self sabotaging, but if I only applied for jobs that really interested me I'd be sending out one resume a week. I just got so close to one of the cooler jobs that I've applied for that it's frustrating going back to the grind.

OK, venting over.

You were so loving close, I feel your pain man.

I'd be so curious I'd call the interviewer and find out what was the deciding factor or factors that made them take the other guy. I mean gently caress them right? Doesn't hurt to ask even if they think it's weird. Then I'd lie on my resume accordingly so that it looks like the other guy.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

AARO posted:

I'd be so curious I'd call the interviewer and find out what was the deciding factor or factors that made them take the other guy. I mean gently caress them right? Doesn't hurt to ask even if they think it's weird. Then I'd lie on my resume accordingly so that it looks like the other guy.

It's always worth an ask, but you'll usually just get a fluffy answer in return due to discrimination lawsuits.

I made it through 3 interviews (phone, written, phone) before they flew me 7500km to see them for the final interview, and they didn't end up choosing me (they were filling out a whole office so there were several slots). They only offered up "the interviewers did not have any specific feedback at this time" as the reason.

So much for self improvement and transparency being corporate ideals. :smith:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

AARO posted:

They actually told me (which was nice). They gave the usual niceties of say I was super qualified and I'd be first in line if another position opens up (fingers crossed), but said they ultimately went with the other guy because he had similar qualifications to me, but also spoke Spanish and the company was working on its South American expansion. Shoutout to being a dumb white boy who only speaks English.

Oof, so yeah, in the grand scheme of things it was actually a pretty good transparent interview process, it just bummed me out.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
My girlfriend has been trying to get a job for a while now with little luck. She's had quite a few interviews, but hasn't been able to seal on any of those. We're working on the interview side of things, but she's gotten a few part time jobs since graduating. Some of these are tangentially related to her career, but I'm not sure if they should be on there.

I'm also in a completely different field, so it's difficult for me to help.

Here is a copy of her resume:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vhUXLCqRCwgWEsJzfiMbpLx7mzkDH3PtKFlPMcVptJI/edit?usp=sharing

Can I please get any sort of feedback?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So I just hosed up hard:

Got a first-round interview for a dream starting job at Accenture (about to graduate with a no-name MBA). I've been applying places for weeks and this is the first to bite. It was a video interview where I would get 30 seconds to see a question and then 5 minutes to record a video of me answering it. I flubbed once, then hit a wrong button and submitted ten seconds of bullshit as my first answer. Is it over? Did I just show I'm incompetent enough at technology to cost myself a job there? 5 minutes is a long time and I feel like I could answer questions 1 and 2 on my second video's time allotment. But I'm so loving angry at myself and feel so stupid I can't even bring myself to try.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Aliquid posted:

So I just hosed up hard:

Got a first-round interview for a dream starting job at Accenture (about to graduate with a no-name MBA). I've been applying places for weeks and this is the first to bite. It was a video interview where I would get 30 seconds to see a question and then 5 minutes to record a video of me answering it. I flubbed once, then hit a wrong button and submitted ten seconds of bullshit as my first answer. Is it over? Did I just show I'm incompetent enough at technology to cost myself a job there? 5 minutes is a long time and I feel like I could answer questions 1 and 2 on my second video's time allotment. But I'm so loving angry at myself and feel so stupid I can't even bring myself to try.

Can't hurt to try to fix it. A decent company wouldn't want to lose a valuable person over a little mistake.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Aliquid posted:

So I just hosed up hard:

If you're looking for a project management job with that MBA, half your job is damage control, so go hog wild

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Might as well try to fix it. It probably won't be a big deal. You know how in sports you aren't supposed to stop when you think the play is over, you keep going until the ref blows the whistle? Don't give up because you made a small mistake, keep going and make them tell you yes or no.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thanks y'all, this is the worst birthday ;_;

except that time i got a hernia in mexico

Subyng
May 4, 2013
So I know it's a good idea to send a thank you email after an interview. Would it also be appropriate for me to touch on some extra points/details that I didn't get a chance to mention?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Subyng posted:

So I know it's a good idea to send a thank you email after an interview. Would it also be appropriate for me to touch on some extra points/details that I didn't get a chance to mention?

No. Just thank them for their time and you are looking forward to the next steps. Looks desperate to try to cram extra poo poo in an email looking like an interview addendum.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What's the difference between appearing desperate and appearing like you are genuinely enthusiastic the job?

In other words, why would communicating "I really want this job" make a hiring manager think "well I had better not hire this person"

Subyng fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 23, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Subyng posted:

What's the difference between appearing desperate and appearing like you are genuinely enthusiastic the job?

In other words, why would communicating "I really want this job" make a hiring manager think "well I had better not hire this person"

I'd say the way it is presented. If you go that route it's a line you'd walk.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

It makes you look uncertain and clingy. It might also hurt your negotiation position later on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Aliquid posted:

So I just hosed up hard:

You can try, but Accenture receives applicants and hires en masse so they're very likely to automatically disqualify you for not following their process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I have another interview Tuesday for a research assistant position at a local hospital. It's marketed at bachelors entry level type people. The HR person said the attire is "business professional." Is this a full matching suit? I think it's weird for that dress for an entry level biology research assistant but I need to know so I can try to find a somewhat fitting suit in time.