Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Ah son of a bitch, Ramza's gonna have a USB on the FFT banner and I don't have any Mythril after pulling like crazy on the XI and WoL chain banner. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Speaking of which, this is the Warrior of Light's CSB (holy element): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n97H_yKinE

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

LornMarkus posted:

Ah son of a bitch, Ramza's gonna have a USB on the FFT banner and I don't have any Mythril after pulling like crazy on the XI and WoL chain banner. :negative:

It's a good one too, a shout killer that stacks with shout.

Man, when's the next mote dungeon.

Butz needs him some +6% spellblade damage. I've just recently remembered I have a +water katana, so I've stacked that with +30% spellblade RM for some nice flurry storming, and it shits damage.

390 attack with no weapon or armour synergy, sits right below the softcap with shout, so +56% damage is looking quite tidy. Maybe I'll finally get rid of my excalipoor and augment it to get me to that 392.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Next mote dungeon comes with the onion knight I believe.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
Finally got around to fighting Omega. Between native Sheepsong, Desch's Enlightning SB, and an Ashe BSB RW I completely obliterated him. Stop only missed once, too, so he never got off a single attack (not counting Flash/Reflect).

Then I decided to celebrate by pulling on the DU lucky banner. I was thinking of skipping it because I have solid synergy for V, VII, and VIII, but with the Thanksgiving mythril coming up, why not? Got a duplicate Guard Stick (meh) and Bartz's Cloak (nice). I'm quite pleased with the cloak since I pulled Zidane's Imperil Wind BSB a while back, so I think I have the makings of a good elemental Wind team here. As for the the Guard Stick, my only other FFVII mage weapons are two of Vincent's guns so I might keep them separate for now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Killing Vector posted:

Finally got around to fighting Omega. Between native Sheepsong, Desch's Enlightning SB, and an Ashe BSB RW I completely obliterated him. Stop only missed once, too, so he never got off a single attack (not counting Flash/Reflect).

Then I decided to celebrate by pulling on the DU lucky banner. I was thinking of skipping it because I have solid synergy for V, VII, and VIII, but with the Thanksgiving mythril coming up, why not? Got a duplicate Guard Stick (meh) and Bartz's Cloak (nice). I'm quite pleased with the cloak since I pulled Zidane's Imperil Wind BSB a while back, so I think I have the makings of a good elemental Wind team here. As for the the Guard Stick, my only other FFVII mage weapons are two of Vincent's guns so I might keep them separate for now.

If you're looking to build a Wind team, keep an eye for the Angeal banner. Cid's Goggles for +Wind armour (and the SSB is Wind-elemental anyway), along with Cloud's Enwind and his OSB as well as Zack's Imperil Wind BSB. Some nice consolation prizes too with Yuffie's BSB and Cid's Shout clone.

I'm actually torn between pulling on that or the Leo banner; I've earmarked pulls for the Rufus banner, so I'll fix any synergy issues then. Leo's banners are weaker all around, but my VI synergy is very outdated at this point (the last VI banner I actually dropped Mythril on was the first Figabros', which was over a year ago).

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Holy poo poo Jenova Death's Red Light is one-shotting my level 80 healer even through Shell, Ark Blast, and Magic Breakdown :stare:

That's because Red Light is physical damage my dude.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Heaven Spacey posted:

That's because Red Light is physical damage my dude.

Well that would explain it. Weird. Can it be Drawtaliated?

edit: Well drat, it even mentions that it's physical in the boss info but somehow I completely skimmed over that.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 17, 2016

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Is there any math done on how Witch of Succession compares to Light of Hope RW? I couldn't find a comparison anywhere to see which causes your mage to do more damage.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Hawkeye posted:

Is there any math done on how Witch of Succession compares to Light of Hope RW? I couldn't find a comparison anywhere to see which causes your mage to do more damage.
Witch of Succession is +15% BLK damage, Light of Hope is +13% MAG, according to the spreadsheet. Pure stat is always largely superior to +% damage until you hit the softcap, which is not really an issue with magic because the MAG softcap is insanely high and requires like four(?) stacked MAG buffs. Light of Hope is way, way better. Devotion is even better damage-wise but will kill your defenses so be careful.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
To be honest, man, with all these Cool and Good banners we've had, and still to come.. the urge to Always Be Pullin' is there. Fortunately so far the Save the Dang Mythril strategy has worked out for the best!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Holy poo poo Jenova Death's Red Light is one-shotting my level 80 healer even through Shell, Ark Blast, and Magic Breakdown :stare:

Might have to revisit this when I have more than 1 fire resistance accessory. Insane speed + instant KO moves are not gonna work out for me even with a shitload of resetting, I think.

It's physical

E: oh hey there's a whole other page and it's already been addressed, nvm

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Beaten all but Vinuskar. I forgot to summon a Wall for Jenova DEATH but after I did so, she went down. I feel like Wall's a pretty useful thing to have in battles where the opposing enemies are really fast or get two actions per turn (or both!). If you're having trouble, and it's not your offense, try that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yes, Kaiser Dragon is toast! Mastered it too! Took a few S/Ls of course, and I had a fight where AGAIN I pressed attack instead of defend on Krile, but it's done and I never have to do it again. Having Hope and Rinoa's BSBs was a huge help, as was having Sheepsong, and for healing I used Rosa with Wrath and that kept Divine Heal ready to go at a moment's notice, so I was able to RW SG for damage mitigation.

Necrophobe...can wait a bit, I think. I can't even handle Tonberries at the moment so Necrophobe is not worth attempting at the moment I feel.

I do now have a sweet Meltdown ability at least!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yes, Kaiser Dragon is toast! Mastered it too! Took a few S/Ls of course, and I had a fight where AGAIN I pressed attack instead of defend on Krile, but it's done and I never have to do it again. Having Hope and Rinoa's BSBs was a huge help, as was having Sheepsong, and for healing I used Rosa with Wrath and that kept Divine Heal ready to go at a moment's notice, so I was able to RW SG for damage mitigation.

Necrophobe...can wait a bit, I think. I can't even handle Tonberries at the moment so Necrophobe is not worth attempting at the moment I feel.

I do now have a sweet Meltdown ability at least!

nice meltdown

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
How the hell do you beat Kaiser Dragon? I have enough materials to create Meltdown, but I usually can't make it to the 2nd phase on that guy. The only mage BSSB I have is Rinoa's, I also have Minwu's insta-medica.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I personally gave up on Mastery, grabbed a Maria BSB and blasted him away.

If I get a Mage BSB sometime I'll probably come back to it and wait for the right Phases. Work on my Magic hones too.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Gilgamesh's BSB completely trivializes Atlas++, nullifying his counters completely and turning Chain Punch into free damage. The only thing that remotely hurt was Ultimate Roar, for a little over 1k after Breakdowns and mitigation. Would there be any interesting in getting Gilgamesh Morphing Time as a RW up for anyone?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

1st AD posted:

How the hell do you beat Kaiser Dragon? I have enough materials to create Meltdown, but I usually can't make it to the 2nd phase on that guy. The only mage BSSB I have is Rinoa's, I also have Minwu's insta-medica.

This was my strategy, which worked great, though it does depend on a particular loadout.

Hope: Chain Thundaga (R2), Waterja (R3), Battleforged
Krile: Maduin (R2), Ixion (R2), Dr. Mog's Teachings
Rinoa: Chain Blizzaga (R3), Chain Firaga (R2), Magic Madness
Rosa: Curaja (R4), Wrath (R3), Ace Striker
Edea: Thundaja (R3), Bioga (R3), Witch of Succession

RW: Sentinel's Grimoire

Phase one: The first character to get a turn uses SG, unless it's Krile (who uses Sheepsong) or Rosa (who uses Wrath). Halfway through Krile's Sheepsong cast, everyone starts casting, with Hope prioritizing Chain Thundaga. Rosa keeps using Wrath, since unless Kaiser Dragon uses Venomist, anything else only does 900-1200 damage with SG up, and regen brings that up quick. After casting Ixion twice, Krile holds off so she doesn't accidentally hit the crystal in phase 2, but everyone else keeps blasting, with Hope keeping at least one Chain Thundaga in reserve.

Phase two: whoever has the correct element casts at the crystal first (unless it's earth, since I didn't bring earth abilities and they weren't necessary), everyone else blasts with whatever. Krile uses Maduin as much as possible to build up for another Sheepsong, unless it's in the lightning phase, in which case she uses the two remaining Ixions. Rosa uses Divine Heal/Curaja when necessary, and Wrath if she can sneak it in. Right after he switches to his second element, someone casts SG (all his attacks ignore RES in phase 3 so SG isn't important there). Since you want to hit the crystal at least three times, the second phase is where I started holding off on some casts, since his health was getting fairly low (phase 3 starts at 30%). If he hadn't hit both lightning and water by the fourth elemental shift, I just S/L'd, since it's not worth waiting longer than that.

Phase three: Rosa spams Divine Heal/Curaja, Rinoa and Hope popped their BSBs. Krile's out of hones at this point so she just defended and cast Sheepsong when she had the gauge for it. Edea just continues casting whatever she has left, and that's the end.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Alxprit posted:

Beaten all but Vinuskar.

How is anyone even supposed to handle Vinuskar, anyway? I tried, but it does wtfdamage wtfast and if it decides to use Bite on any of its first three or so turns whoever it hits is basically dead.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
So is something supposed to happen around the time Onion Knight's banner pops up? I heard the phrase "guaranteed BSB" and came running ASAP

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Black Friday Lucky Draw, details not precisely known but it's probably a (safe guess is half off/one time but who knows???) banner full of Burst Relics from the datamined Banner's phrasing (which says "one or more Burst Soul Break relics guaranteed", IIRC).

So, you know, basically awesome.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I used my latest MC3 on Yda so now I have a full AoE auto attack party setup. I never have to think about Dailies again, except synergy. Until the next shake-up I guess.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Since you want to hit the crystal at least three times

Errr... no. You want to hit the crystal at most three times. Each use of the crystal past the third makes you eat one more party wipe level deathblow out of the three Kaiser Dragon casts as a final "gently caress you too buddy" when he dies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SageAcrin posted:

Black Friday Lucky Draw, details not precisely known but it's probably a (safe guess is half off/one time but who knows???) banner full of Burst Relics from the datamined Banner's phrasing (which says "one or more Burst Soul Break relics guaranteed", IIRC).

So, you know, basically awesome.

Yeah, I'd probably say that anyone looking to draw on OK wait the two days for the Burst Lucky to come out, since OK and Luneth's Bursts will likely be on it. Of course, if you're hunting for the other relics on the banner as well, feel free to go nuts on it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, I'd probably say that anyone looking to draw on OK wait the two days for the Burst Lucky to come out, since OK and Luneth's Bursts will likely be on it. Of course, if you're hunting for the other relics on the banner as well, feel free to go nuts on it.

Have they ever had one relic on two banners simultaneously before?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hmm, I'm actually out of Classic and Elite dungeons to run JP side which kind of puts me in a pickle for digging up the Mythril to pull on that Tactics banner. Out of curiosity what would those who've done both say is the easier thing to try and do of what I have left: the Mote fights or the 200 Difficulty fights?

Both are available right now and I know it's not gonna make a lot of difference but I'd still rather try than just wait.

triplexpac posted:

According to the future banner listings, several of the upcoming banners have a single character's OSB on both banner 1 and 2 for the event. (Example: Edgar and Greg.)

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Just started this game, should I just grind away at the realms or the a crack at some of the event stuff? I only have Cloud, Kain, a White Mage, and Black Mage.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

Just started this game, should I just grind away at the realms or the a crack at some of the event stuff? I only have Butt, Kain, a White Mage, and Black Mage.
Might be worth trying the very first event stage just to grab characters and exp eggs to shove into your dudes, but for now you should be able to keep doing realms for quite a while without stopping because of all the stamina shard refreshes.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

Just started this game, should I just grind away at the realms or the a crack at some of the event stuff? I only have Cloud, Kain, a White Mage, and Black Mage.

You will not be able to finish any event right now, but you should get as far into any event as you can manage because that's where you get the new characters. Use offensive Roaming Warriors to cheese boss fights in the higher difficulties. You'll get a bunch of growth eggs from events that you can use to power level your party (don't be stingy with them in the early game). Remove the White Mage and Black Mage from your party ASAP, only named characters are any good.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

McSpankWich posted:

As U-DO Burger said, do the realm events to get other characters (even if you don't plan to use them) if just to replace the core characters in your party.

This Post also has some very good pointers for someone just starting out.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

triplexpac posted:

A few of the lucky draws in the past have had the current banners' relics on them, yes. It's happened often enough that it can be expected with this one, too.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

McSpankWich posted:

Mix both a little, really.

Events go away after a while, while core dungeons will always be there. So ideally, you want to push events as far as you can, and then turn back to core dungeons when you hit a wall. Just make a point to try and push your limits once in a while. Use higher level offensive Roaming Warriors to cheese bosses you'd normally have issues with.

Also ask around in the thread for whatever, the game is kinda complex and huge now, and there's a bit of a learning curve to it!

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Events get you characters, and get you orb. So yeah, you definitely want to do events.

Just look for any Roaming Warrior marked Overstrike, it'll probably blow up event bosses until Difficulty 60-90 range with its two uses. :v:

(Unless there's multiple targets in the boss fight. Then you might want a multiple target hitting Burst instead.)

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Reminder for those of us who like saving mythril and going hard on godbanners:

Onion Lad 1 for OK BSB/Luneth BSB, maybe a pull or two on 2 for Refia's absurd BSB, then OSBfest, then XIV in late January for the most absurdly stacked banner we've ever seen, then TGCid shortly after (the next event after I think?)

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Unless the sources I use are wrong, TGCid is more like a month out from Alphinaud 1.

Which, you know, is a good thing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Beasteh posted:

Reminder for those of us who like saving mythril and going hard on godbanners:

Onion Lad 1 for OK BSB/Luneth BSB, maybe a pull or two on 2 for Refia's absurd BSB, then OSBfest, then XIV in late January for the most absurdly stacked banner we've ever seen, then TGCid shortly after (the next event after I think?)
TG Cid is a ways out from Minfilia 1.

HOWEVER

Right after Minfilia 1 is a XIII event, and on its second banner is Raines' BSB, which is nutso crazy good. Minfilia 1 is also concurrent with OSBfest, which has many many good things in it.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Oh, yeah, and Hope's OSB is on that. And his Enholy BSB.

Because seriously, who doesn't want their ridiculous mage damage to be in Holy flavor.

(Also has Serah's arguably-Sheepsong-killer Faithga, so you don't just pull on it for Bursts, which is a poor life decision.)

Pretty good banner.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

AweStriker posted:

How is anyone even supposed to handle Vinuskar, anyway? I tried, but it does wtfdamage wtfast and if it decides to use Bite on any of its first three or so turns whoever it hits is basically dead.

Can't survive one hit of Bite? I mean sure, it was doing 4200+ before I could get mitigation up, on my first attempt it hit Vaan twice in a row and killed him, even with synergy bonus HP. On the second try it didn't pick on the same person and I was able to get Protectga and SG up, and from there the fight went swimmingly with further debuffs. The repeated Sword Dances for ~1000 were starting to add up but then Eiko got her BSB.

If you still can't survive the first Bite, maybe put Amarant's Draw Fire RM on a tanky character? Would still be dangerous unless they're in the back row though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

AweStriker posted:

I made a team of backrow characters. His double Sword Dances still hurt like hell with normal mitigation, so I'd recommend Wall for the battle if available.

• Locked thread