Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
We do have a unique Style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nonsense posted:

always depressing.

Why We Post

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Baloogan posted:

We do have a unique Style.

i fkn dunno what yr talkin bout

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lastgirl posted:

its funny when you drink

its depressing when you're sober

hope this helps improve your posting experience

other than yes, i would recommend moving climate change talk to a new thread but give it that c-spam twist :discourse:

keep it about the democrat purge of 2017~

that's my secret cap, I'm always drinking

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/799342555418664960

i'm good with this

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

hes kind of garbage though

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the most important race coming up is the 2017 virginia state races btw

virgina senate is currently 21-19 gop/dem

virgina house is 66-24 gop/dem

but the governorship is help by the dems

if the gop captures the governorship in 2017 that would give them incumbency advantage for the 2019 race

if they hold both the legislature and the executive expect them to implement north carolina style voter suppression and redistricting in 2020

it's the gop's chance to break virgina as an emerging blue state

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

EhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHH

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

hes kind of garbage though

yeah, I should clarify that I'm happier about Pelosi being challenged than I am about Ryan

we need to have a conversation about what Dem leadership will look like in the House and even if Ryan isn't my first or second choice, at least this means that the conversation will happen

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Marie Furie posted:

yeah, I should clarify that I'm happier about Pelosi being challenged than I am about Ryan

we need to have a conversation about what Dem leadership will look like in the House and even if Ryan isn't my first or second choice, at least this means that the conversation will happen

Oh. Yeah. Good point.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry iv not been responding to PM's posts lately yall. Life is kinda hosed atm. I am confirmed going to be working with the FDP soon so what ever I get from the Ill pay on to you guys.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zikan posted:

the most important race coming up is the 2017 virginia state races btw

virgina senate is currently 21-19 gop/dem

virgina house is 66-24 gop/dem

but the governorship is help by the dems

if the gop captures the governorship in 2017 that would give them incumbency advantage for the 2019 race

if they hold both the legislature and the executive expect them to implement north carolina style voter suppression and redistricting in 2020

it's the gop's chance to break virgina as an emerging blue state

Why does Virginia hold their elections in odd numbered years? What can those of us in other states do to help?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One thing the democrats really, really need to do:

Push polling. Stop treating it like "OH, THAT SKEWS RESULTS". So loving what if it does? It's a good way to probe potential lines of attack.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

iospace posted:

One thing the democrats really, really need to do:

Push polling. Stop treating it like "OH, THAT SKEWS RESULTS". So loving what if it does? It's a good way to probe potential lines of attack.

thats a really good insight, if the dems are still playing defense after losing everything in the federal government 2016 we might as well get used to republicans controlling the smoking husk of the federal government

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

whoops i was wrong, we get an entirely new race as Terry McAuliffe is term limited because virgina's election are dumb

you can only serve one four year term but you are re-eligible after 4 years

so it's gonna be an open slate and probably a high priority for the gop

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Louisiana runoff elections are on December 10th, apparently. If anyone is down there.

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

GlyphGryph posted:

http://www.massdems.org/index.php/your-party/town-and-ward-committees

Reminder: If you're in Massachusetts, this list should be your first stop for getting involved, and the existence of this list is a big part of why I said the MA Dems have their poo poo together even though the website does need to be updated.

It's literally a list of contact info for all the Dem orgs in the state.

So what do I do with this? Just contact the chair of my town/city to see how I can get involved?

I'm a dumb dumb.

BrownClown has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Nov 17, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Terry McAuliffe is a bullshit machine politician right

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Louisiana runoff elections are on December 10th, apparently. If anyone is down there.

Things don't exactly look great for Campbell, but I'll drag my rear end to the voting booth regardless. At least he seems fairly populist

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

BrownClown posted:

So what do I do with this? Just contact the chair of my town/city to see how I can get involved?

Yep!

quote:

Below you'll find a list of local town, ward, and city chairs across the state. Contact your local chair to get involved!

Let us know how it goes though, so we can learn what you learn. A lot of what needs to be done right now for us feels like just understanding the shape of things.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Things don't exactly look great for Campbell, but I'll drag my rear end to the voting booth regardless. At least he seems fairly populist

Remember to try and drag other people too!

Can you give us an idea of what things are like politically there right now? I'll admit I know nothing about what's going on in the state.

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

loquacius posted:

yeah and/but he's done some good stuff as governor https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...49a6_story.html

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

Pretty much. His election was more a victory for keeping his foaming-at-the-mouth opponent out of office than anything else, though McAuliffe has been surprisingly good on things like voting rights.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

ThndrShk2k posted:

Readings were nominal/along with the rest until august/sept.

Unless there was a huge event that basically would accelerate things it's most likely bad data.

This got brushed over earlier but nah dude, it's not bad data. Some guys were able to circumnavigate the Arctic in a yacht this September/October, and temperatures at Arctic measuring stations have been ~15 degrees above average for the entire month of October. Temperature have been trending 20-30 degrees above average for the month of November so far at these same stations. The bad sensor mentioned in the Twitter thread was from April and was fixed.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

i think he's the dude that was all "yeah she's still gonna make tpp happen" like immediately after hillary vocally opposed it lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
where is the most global-warming proof place to move.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SykesCharlie/status/796390938436313088

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

anime was right posted:

where is the most global-warming proof place to move.

pacific northwest

good luck w/ that cascadia fault tho when that inevitably slips and wrecks every single bridge and hospital and fire department due to a complete lack of seismic design there over the past few decades

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Huh I just watched Day After Tomorrow last night and now this

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

This got brushed over earlier but nah dude, it's not bad data. Some guys were able to circumnavigate the Arctic in a yacht this September/October, and temperatures at Arctic measuring stations have been ~15 degrees above average for the entire month of October. Temperature have been trending 20-30 degrees above average for the month of November so far at these same stations. The bad sensor mentioned in the Twitter thread was from April and was fixed.
Ah, yeah I doubt any recently serviced devices would fail this bad
Hm, so the graphs are only for the Arctic? I would assume it would also be indicative of an equal drop in the Antarctic regions too due to the Global tag on it, unless the amount of ice missing from the north is that significant on a global scale?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

ThndrShk2k posted:

Hm, so the graphs are only for the Arctic? I would assume it would also be indicative of an equal drop in the Antarctic regions too due to the Global tag on it, unless the amount of ice missing from the north is that significant on a global scale?

Yeah it's a global graph. The Antarctic is also at record low extent and is currently in its melting season, the Arctic is at record low extent but is actually in the process of refreezing at this point, just at a much slower pace than normal which means Antarctic melt is outpacing it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ThndrShk2k posted:

There's a lot more people and governments in the Arctic than the Antarctic. And a lot of shipping companies wondering if a Northwest passage will finally open up.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Yeah it's a global graph. The Antarctic is also at record low extent and is currently in its melting season, the Arctic is at record low extent but is actually in the process of refreezing at this point, just at a much slower pace than normal which means Antarctic melt is outpacing it.
Thanks for more context on the data.
Initially when looking at the graph it seemed more like the melting in the south was just as significant as the north's when compared to even last year, I was assuming the normal southern melting didn't really get started until the downslope further in the year.

Thoguh posted:

There's a lot more people and governments in the Arctic than the Antarctic.
Well, there should be more Antarctic governments too :colbert:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thoguh posted:

There's a lot more people and governments in the Arctic than the Antarctic. And a lot of shipping companies wondering if a Northwest passage will finally open up.

I got news for you, the Northwest Passage already opened up.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/cargo_shipping_in_the_arctic_declining_sea_ice/3056/

That's old news. The new trend is that the Northwest Passage is now warm and safe enough for luxury cruises.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/08/25/where-luxury-meets-danger-inside-first-northwest-passage-cruise.html

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://www.c-span.org/video/?418660-1/senator-bernie-sanders-speaks-election-trump-presidency

Sanders at George Washington University yesterday

Edit: There's a lot more than what I saw on the Our Revolution stream I was watching yesterday. He does a whole interview and everything.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Nov 17, 2016

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

the good news is that the crazy temperatures in the arctic and the world as a whole are probably just el nino's last gasp and not a sudden and catastrophic state change

the bad news is you'll have to listen to smug idiots saying "global warming huh??? looks like this year is only the 10th warmest on record" after la nina kicks in

Serf
May 5, 2011

Been a few days with no reply from the Georgia Democrats chair. Gonna start emailing everyone on the website soon, and if that doesn't work, I dunno, I guess I'll ask around at city hall?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Serf posted:

Been a few days with no reply from the Georgia Democrats chair. Gonna start emailing everyone on the website soon, and if that doesn't work, I dunno, I guess I'll ask around at city hall?

doesnt this say everything about why democrats are losing local elections lol

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

anime was right posted:

doesnt this say everything about why democrats are losing local elections lol
Are... are the democrats even a majority party? :confused:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Serf posted:

Based on your region/county, try one of these:

http://georgiayds.org/chapters/find-a-chapter/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

ThndrShk2k posted:

Are... are the democrats even a majority party? :confused:

Republicans are now in control of a record 67 (68 percent) of the 98 partisan state legislative chambers in the nation, more than twice the number (31) in which Democrats have a majority, according to the bipartisan National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL).

• Locked thread