Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
This past sunday, I got to ride my friends yz250 for most of the day on some nice forest trails. It was my first time getting to spend more than just a loop around a parking lot on a two stroke. It was great riding it in the lower part of the powerband and then giving a quick blip to bring the front end up whenever there was an obstacle. Having that much power on hand on such a light machine solidified that I need to get a smoker for a trail bike.

From reading, it seams like its hard to go wrong with a ktm 200/250/300 mxc/exc/xc/xcw given how adjustable they are. Seems like they can lug to some degree and you can change where the hit comes with the power valve. Are there any other bikes I should be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nope. KTM woods two stroke best woods two stroke.

Yamaha is solid as gently caress too. WR250 is hard to go wrong with.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

ant mouth posted:

This past sunday, I got to ride my friends yz250 for most of the day on some nice forest trails. It was my first time getting to spend more than just a loop around a parking lot on a two stroke. It was great riding it in the lower part of the powerband and then giving a quick blip to bring the front end up whenever there was an obstacle. Having that much power on hand on such a light machine solidified that I need to get a smoker for a trail bike.

From reading, it seams like its hard to go wrong with a ktm 200/250/300 mxc/exc/xc/xcw given how adjustable they are. Seems like they can lug to some degree and you can change where the hit comes with the power valve. Are there any other bikes I should be looking for?

CR500 :getin:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

For a woods bike take a look at the KDX200 as well. They can be found cheaper than KTM and I ran mine for years with no failures and minimal maintenance. Tons of low end torque stock but toss on a woods pipe and play with the gearing a bit and you'll be able to lug it through anything. Not much on the high end though if that's a concern.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add the KDX to my search.

There's a 2002 200 mxc for 1700 or a 2009 with a rekluse and all the farkles for 4k... OR there's a few CR500s on the cheap.

Going to go with the CR500 and buy a gopro. I'll post a ride report shortly or maybe make posting the video a condition in my will. Either way, you'll get content.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
:patriot:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ant mouth posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add the KDX to my search.

There's a 2002 200 mxc for 1700 or a 2009 with a rekluse and all the farkles for 4k... OR there's a few CR500s on the cheap.

Going to go with the CR500 and buy a gopro. I'll post a ride report shortly or maybe make posting the video a condition in my will. Either way, you'll get content.

beta also makes 2 strokes. Not nearly as many out there as KTMs though and fewer dealers to boot.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

ant mouth posted:

I'll post a ride report shortly or maybe make posting the video a condition in my will. Either way, you'll get content.

Good call. I love mine for the trails, aside for their thirst. More power than you could ever want. Depending on the year, you can gear them to have a bonkers low 1st and 2nd, with no shortage of top end.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I ended up getting a good deal on a 2004 ktm 200exc with great records and all the mods/accessories ever needed: racetech suspension, fmf pipe, scotts damper, radiator guards, carbon pipe guard, etc. I'm chomping at the bit to go ride it but won't be able to until Sunday. Until then I'll be counting the hours and sitting on the bike while making two stroke noises.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Right on! Those are fun bikes, I rode my friend's 07 this weekend. It was sprung for someone 90 lbs lighter than I though, which was interesting. Sorta like this:

(bouncy)
Have fun!

New gopro this weekend caught some fun moments:

More: http://imgur.com/a/BKHIx

Over the winter I had my suspension tuned and it's been real fun getting back on the track. Before I'd be bottoming on the bigger jumps, even when landing them smoothly. Now I can case poo poo all day and not feel it. The long table at the end of the rhythm has been a big mental block for a while but I finally cleared it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMLUVIxPmOQ&t=18s

This track is inside a NASCAR oval. The manager said a car spun out and hit a jump, so they had to move everything in and tame it down on the perimeter. They're gonna install sand rollers instead though, which I'm stoked for.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 10, 2016

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Trail riding after work is great until the sun goes down:

I thought my footpeg felt extra stabby. I must have clipped a rut.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Afternoon trail riding is a Good IdeaTM. RIP le tron fu

https://gfycat.com/IdealPastAtlanticridleyturtle

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Finally talked a friend (who has a truck :getin:) into getting a bike to trail ride with me. The week before our first trip my lung decided to spontaneously collapse. Now my bike is all primped and polished and ready to get wrecked and I'm bed ridden for the next month. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Anyone live/ride in Eastern Pennsylvania? We were looking at going to http://www.ridelosttrails.com/

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's really gnarly! Heal up, you need your lungs for dirt bikes.

I tried stabilizing riding video with deshaker, it makes a worthwhile improvement. The ride was in Eastern Washington (Taneum):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSGam9Zeek

I got two flats that day, front and rear. Patched the front and just rode the rear out.

GPS tracks +google maps is pretty sweet too https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1Cqud7nMPehy7J1RaQSe9i5Ds9Jg

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 21, 2016

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I just moved to eastern Washington and I'm shopping for a real 125. I'm mostly looking for slightly older aluminum framed CR's. Everything's right around the $1500 to $2000 range. Anybody have any recommendations for other years or makes?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The YZ line is still in production and hasn't changed much for a decade, which may make parts easier to find. What type of riding are you doing?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I did a bunch of reading this morning and decided 2005+ YZ125. I didn't realize the 05 and on motor is the same and the frame basically is too. It'll be mostly trail riding, and taking it to an OHV park once in a while. I'm trying to do what I should have been doing when I was 12 and learn real dirt riding skills. I've had a bunch of lovely old two strokes and I'm ready to buy one that actually runs and has an operational powervalve.

Edit: I'm looking at this for $1500:
https://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/5713495046.html

I have zero problems with doing maintenance or throwing $150 at a top end but I really don't know what dirtbikes are worth in Washington. I just moved from WI and compared to that this is a great deal.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 6, 2016

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I finally took my WR250R proper off roading for the first time. Wow, I had tons of fun! Went to a local city park that has a bunch of motorcycle trails. It was pretty technical, probably more than I should have attempted on my first outing, but I think I did surprisingly well. Only dropped it once, on a big series of rock steps. It's amazing how well that thing just soaks up the terrain. Dropping down 3 foot semi cliffs was downright simple, and so much fun! I'm definitely hooked. Now I need to find some slightly less technically challenging trails...

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Finally felt up to riding after recovering from my lung episode. I love my 200XC, it's so amazingly rewarding to ride well, although later in the day when I got lazy about staying in the proper gear it was harder to maintain momentum. My friend brought his CR250 that he just bought over and proceeded to pull a power wheelie right into my fence, taking out my wife's nice outside chair in the process.

Brand new rear fender snapped right off. Sure was a sight to behold.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJL-fdWiB1E

Mattawa,WA. Desert riding is so fun. I got a rear flat early in the day but kept riding. In the dunes it actually helped, but was squirrely on bigger bumps.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

40 mile ride in the woods and we barely got lost!
http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MzcyNTMxMA==

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My YZ125 ate the big end bearing a couple months ago, so I'm getting ready to rebuild the crank and send the cylinder back to Wisconsin to have my buddy do a 144 kit. The short amount of time I got to ride it before the engine seizure was loving amazing.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Last sprint enduro of the year. First race on new bike after about 1h of riding. A mess of a race, but my buddy Dave came down to photograph.

I've given Dave a wheelie here because I stalled at the bottom of the jump (in the background) because I've had a rekluse too long on my old bike and forgot how to ride.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's a cool pic and nobody will know its a jump anyways. What are you riding, yz250?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah that's a dope shot.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

That's a cool pic and nobody will know its a jump anyways. What are you riding, yz250?

YZ250X with a flywheel weight. The 2016 leftovers are very inexpensive. It's tough to just jump on it and do as well as my KTM 4 stroke simply because it's so much more drat powerful.

I'm heading down to Croom in FL for a week to get used to the bike and get the hours in I need. I just started a new business so I haven't had time to ride at all the past two months, I'm pretty excited to get back into it.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
I have the 250fx and it was the best drat bike buy I've made yet. Coming off a Honda 250x it was like shedding 100 pounds of bullshit.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004
Welp I bought a truck 2 months ago and subsequently traded some stuff I dont use for a 99 CR250. Up in Vail Colorado so all my local stuff is just now covered in snow.. but I'll be mixing gas and crashing soon enough

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Yerok posted:

My YZ125 ate the big end bearing a couple months ago, so I'm getting ready to rebuild the crank and send the cylinder back to Wisconsin to have my buddy do a 144 kit. The short amount of time I got to ride it before the engine seizure was loving amazing.

Just finished doing a complete top and bottom end for a customer with a 2006 YZ125, with the 2015 plastic conversion kit. What a stellar looking bike that weighs almost nothing.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

YZ250X with a flywheel weight.
What are you planning to ride more with the bike, track or trail?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

What are you planning to ride more with the bike, track or trail?

I'll be doing the 2017 NETRA enduro series (timekeeping, 5-6h races of singletrack), and the JDAY GPs which is like 70% motocross next year. on it. I spent sometime tuning the suspension on it in Florida this past week, but its still too stiff for New England. It was awesome in sand and moto though. A buddy got a nice little vid of me and my fiance banging out laps with his S7. Cut off a bit early, but I thought it was neat.

Starting with an interesting side-view of this particular track featuring Anna:

I think these are public.

My go: https://www.facebook.com/gfhewitt/videos/10102744857235960/

Anna same corner: https://www.facebook.com/gfhewitt/videos/10102744626109140/

It was a 0.3 mile track, my average time was 1.04. Anna's was 1.12. All done in 10 lap sessions. Funny, half of her time lost was going down a triple switchback hill - I gave her lots of poo poo because she's a highly competitive DH MTB racer.

I have a bunch of vids from motocross and other things i'll be working through this week.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went on an mx practice day with a bunch of people from the supermoto group (only one bike showed up on 17s :hurr:) I brought the sm610 on off-road wheels with some dot knobbies.

It was a blast, and I managed to get back into the motocross rhythm after a couple sessions, but god drat is that bike heavy and noodley. I took out a wr450 and a ktm 2t 250 and had a way better time. The 450 felt great but manageable, the 250 broke traction super easy on the muddy track but it was drat fun to ride a two stroke again. Both felt way stiffer and more responsive, and as fun as it is to clear doubles and tabletops with a 340# bike, I really need to pick up a cheap 426 or something now.

I rode until I was too tired to ride hard, then took a break and repeated until I lost grip strength. A+++ can't wait to do it again :)

By the way, Riverdale MX in Washington is pretty great, they have three different tracks - arenacross, big MX and vintage MX - but we mostly stuck to the vintage MX track.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 9, 2017

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Riverdale is a sweet place! That place gets so slick and bumpy in the wet, it's easy to get tired. A year ago the (old) vintage track got swallowed by the river, I wonder how they reshaped it. How big are the AX features?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The ax course had a whoop section, two double-double sections, and a couple tabletops. The doubles were probably 20-25 feet across. I cased one of the doubles and nearly lost my headlight when it decided to liberate itself from the rubber mounts. I wish the endurocross course was still there because I hate myself I like a challenge.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

For enduro riding, do you guys prefer hard armor or soft armor? Just got my first dirt bike and am trying to figure out what to wear.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Partial Octopus posted:

For enduro riding, do you guys prefer hard armor or soft armor? Just got my first dirt bike and am trying to figure out what to wear.

I wear a ton of armor, but I'm old. Lots of mx bros wear very little. What do you mean hard vs soft?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

builds character posted:

I wear a ton of armor, but I'm old. Lots of mx bros wear very little. What do you mean hard vs soft?

I mean something like traditional hard armor such: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-55-body-protector

or something newer and more felxible like this: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-3df-airfit-body-protector

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'd argue for the hard armor. Crashing in with dirt riding usually involves hitting something pointy and/or sliding. Plates help distribute that impact and resist the abrasion.

Don't forget your knee's, they usually take most of the energy in a crash. It's easy to strike your legs against rigid objects without officially crashing; good boots and guards make the difference between riding away and limping for a week. Combined with boots you're fully protected thigh down:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gsViBoCQxTw_wcB

Washougal runs a new years day harescramble and it's always a frozen mudpit. I'm not envious:

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 8, 2017

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Everything gullous said, plus add in some padded shorts, and you're good to go. I wear some TLD shorts every time I ride.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

Washougal runs a new years day harescramble and it's always a frozen mudpit. I'm not envious:

I once participated in a scramble that started frozen (looking), and rapidly turned into this. My Trelliborgs are 9 years old, and all the damage on them came from that race.

Did some snow motos on Sunday morning. It was horrific, but engaging in a 30 minute tank slapper is a good upper body workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Partial Octopus posted:

I mean something like traditional hard armor such: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-55-body-protector

or something newer and more felxible like this: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-3df-airfit-body-protector

I have the 3df and if I did it again I'd probably get the 5.5 only because it comes with rib protection. That said, the 3df is good and has nice protection in the shoulders, back, chest and decent in elbows. I wouldn't mind just a touch bigger in the elbows but it's a lot better than anything you'll find in a jacket. I wear that under a klim dakar pro which used to be a cordura jersey if I'm riding on the street to get there or just a jersey if I'm not and wear a neckbrace. For knees I wear more leatt (coincidence, I swear) with their dual axis knee guards and they're great. They don't really protect against twisting and I'm thinking about real knee braces as a result, but they've done an amazing job for everything else. All of that said, I think MX boots are the #1 protection that you want. And then you want knee protection that goes into the boot a little so that there's no gap where you can mess up your shin by smashing the tiny exposed bit into a rock. e: just read gullous's post and yeah, I agree with all that except that I've found the 3df to be plenty of protection.

Of course the downside of armor is that it's hot. Particularly if you're working hard and are fat and out of shape.

Gullous posted:

I'd argue for the hard armor. Crashing in with dirt riding usually involves hitting something pointy and/or sliding. Plates help distribute that impact and resist the abrasion.

Don't forget your knee's, they usually take most of the energy in a crash. It's easy to strike your legs against rigid objects without officially crashing; good boots and guards make the difference between riding away and limping for a week. Combined with boots you're fully protected thigh down:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gsViBoCQxTw_wcB

That's ridiculous. No padding required cause you aren't going anywhere and if you do fall it'll be in nice cold mud that's two feet deep.