Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Looper posted:

Just don't read the book

I didn't know there was one, but I'll take your advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm fine with paying for pinball because 1) it's a mechanical game with tons of moving parts that can be expensive to maintain and 2) most tables reward skill with replays and extra balls, and then you've got a 1 in 10 shot at a free game at the end with newer tables. With a little luck I can nearly double the value of my coin drop, something that's much harder on an arcade cabinet designed to eat money.

I like barcades that remind me of the arcades I used to go to: dark walls, tinted windows, and lots of mirrored surfaces. If it's cramped and you can't hear anything over the deafening crush of sound effects, even better.

pinball dings like no other ding

worth the drat 50c or 1$ every time!!!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Red Bones posted:

I'm catching a flight tomorrow morning so hopefully it'll be on the nintendo store for me to purchase + download before I leave.

You can pre-buy and load it tonight before midnight Eastern, and then it unlocks. :ssh:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Tempura Wizard posted:

You can pre-buy and load it tonight before midnight Eastern, and then it unlocks. :ssh:

I'm doing that at the moment, but I have just discovered that it releases in Europe on the 23rd and not the 18th. Despite uh, how I'm preloading it onto my 3DS right now. Oh well :shrug:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

jarbv posted:

pinball dings like no other ding

worth the drat 50c or 1$ every time!!!

I live for the knock!

e: Actually, to bring this back around to videogames, consider this a PSA not to buy Stern Pinball on PSN or XBLA. It has some tables not available on The Pinball Arcade, but the tables are all dark with no way of controlling the lighting, the flippers on some tables (notably the mini playfield in AD/DC) seem shorter than they should be, and outside of bundles table are $10 a pop. There's a lot of room for improvement before you bite that bullet.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 17, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I love that scene, but the way it's been passed around gave me the wrong impression about what the movie is like. There's definitely magical, symbolic stuff going on, but it all linked to a greater storytelling whole. Totally enthralling.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Satoshi Kon was an incredible director and cinema is lesser for his early death.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I won't have people talking down to Spirited Away itt or any t. I will not have it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Satoshi Kon was an incredible director and cinema is lesser for his early death.

You may have already seen this, but it's recommended viewing for everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=555463

Sims modding is quite a rabbit hole.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Red Bones posted:

I'm doing that at the moment, but I have just discovered that it releases in Europe on the 23rd and not the 18th. Despite uh, how I'm preloading it onto my 3DS right now. Oh well :shrug:

aw beans :(

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

You may have already seen this, but it's recommended viewing for everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE

Oh definitely. It's my favorite AFAP episode.

E: Susumu Hirasawa was such a perfect collaborator for him.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 17, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

I won't have people talking down to Spirited Away itt or any t. I will not have it

It's like when you watch a really fantastic youtube music video, all original content, and somehow it has 200 dislikes and you're wondering "who are these people." Well those people are posting about how they didn't like Spirited Away in this thread apparently. I have yet to watch a Miyazaki film I didn't enjoy though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I keep trying to be cheap and borrow Disney/Ghibli films from my local library but since they are mostly naturally kept in the kids wing every time I get one there's a ton of scratches or just gunk that keeps me from actually being able to watch them.

I got to watch half of Ponyo before it turned to a slideshow, tho.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hullo possible Columbus friend. I've seen Killer Queen a few times; they have a set at Arcade Super Awesome (and I'm pretty sure I saw it at Ground Kontrol in Portland) and their league nights seem like a lot of hectic fun. The developers of KQ come by for a tournament there and signed some stuff. I've never played, but ten players for a $1 a game is a good way to market a new arcade game to the barcade group. Most of the places I seek out have pinball tables and those are almost never on free play. I look at a place like Level One Bar+Arcade (might also have Killer Queen) and wonder how they make enough for rent, staffing, and maintenance on dozens of arcade cabinets and a dozen pins with just (slightly over-priced) drinks. Even worse, I go to Arcade Super Awesome regularly and I only buy the drinks on special for $3 or less. It's my favorite hangout but I'll be damned if I'll pay $6 a beer when a cheaper craft is available.

I can't really think of another new arcade game more recent than Killer Queen though, and it bucks most of the trends the arcade industry held onto for decades. MAME cabinets, I guess, but that's it and I wouldn't count it.

Oh I'm very familiar with 16 Bit (I live in cinci). It's a bit of a unique case because it gets CRAZY traffic. I've never been to 16 Bit and not had it be wall to wall. Notably though the one in OTR used to have a Street Fighter cabinet and now no longer does, and I can't think of any cabinets they do have that would've been made within the last decade or so.

Arcade Legacy is another barcade in cinci that has much more manageable crowds, though that's again reflected in the cabinet selection.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 17, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is there a good estimate of how many players in Skyrim use mods?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is there a good estimate of how many players in Skyrim use mods?

if you count nick and griffin separately that's at least two

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And me too. So that's three.

The most popular mod on Skyrim Nexus got downloaded 13.6 million times, but who knows what that actually means

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I preordered Pokemon on Amazon Prime, but it's like a bizarro preorder because I'm paying less money to get the game later than other people.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

Arcade Legacy is another barcade in cinci that has much more manageable crowds, though that's again reflected in the cabinet selection.

Hahaha is that the one in forest fair mall?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Marcus from Watch Dogs 2 is a good protagonist and he's written in a way that makes me feel weird when I kill someone in WD2.

It's also weird that there isn't a non-lethal melee attack.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's weird that Ubisoft wasn't able to make a relatable protagonist until the one that jacks off to hentai but here we are

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They had to work hard to make a black dude more easily relatable to gamers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

They had to work hard to make a black dude more easily relatable to gamers.

My heart is black, does that count

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

It's like when you watch a really fantastic youtube music video, all original content, and somehow it has 200 dislikes and you're wondering "who are these people." Well those people are posting about how they didn't like Spirited Away in this thread apparently. I have yet to watch a Miyazaki film I didn't enjoy though.

ponyo's story was hard for me to get into despite the amazing amination but yeah the rest is gold

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:agreed: but, I don't know, the ending just seemed... silly? And I don't mean the kind of silly you would expect from a Mother game. I mean why did I go through with literally destroying the entire loving world after taking care of Porky and his goons? There didn't seem to be much of a point in pulling the last needle and resurrecting the dragon once the threat was thwarted.

Did I get a bad ending? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have multiple endings though...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
There's never going to be a truly relatable protagonist for me personally, until telltale makes a curb your enthusiasm game

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there one of those for the dog emperor in FF6?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I dunno. I kinda want to find a site full of these.

Here's another one of the same.

Problem with this one is all I see is Numbuh 4 from Kids Next Door.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/g_taka072/status/703949791336599552

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't see any of these or the other ones you posted. Could have sworn that the top of the sprite was a skull for a head and that he had epaulets on his cloak.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lobok posted:

I didn't see any of these or the other ones you posted. Could have sworn that the top of the sprite was a skull for a head and that he had epaulets on his cloak.

I think that's the best part about these sprites. So many people saw different things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Link was supposed to be an elfish guy in a green tunic holding a shield, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Link was supposed to be an elfish guy in a green tunic holding a shield, right?

What? No! Where the hell did you get that from.

He was a pink bunny rabbit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Link is actually a girl

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Mak0rz posted:

:agreed: but, I don't know, the ending just seemed... silly? And I don't mean the kind of silly you would expect from a Mother game. I mean why did I go through with literally destroying the entire loving world after taking care of Porky and his goons? There didn't seem to be much of a point in pulling the last needle and resurrecting the dragon once the threat was thwarted.

Did I get a bad ending? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have multiple endings though...

That's the only ending, yes unless you don't move around when the "End?" graphic pops up, but most people instinctively do.

There's an unused sprite that says something along the lines of "HAPPY END", so who knows what the hell was planned for the game originally; I'm thinking the original ending had worse implications and that graphic was meant to be sarcastic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I can't not see Link hitting people with his dick

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

CJacobs posted:

I can't not see Link hitting people with his dick

The inspiration for Detachable Penis, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wanted to share a little something with you guys. I've been playing the new Master of Orion (it's ok) and they made the very nice touch of creating individual portraits for all of your spies, for every race. Like each agent gets a unique, race specific portrait with no duplication as far as I can tell even with a roster of 10+ agents. I've playing the Alkari (space birds) and these are some of my agents.

It's a small thing but it goes so far is making the universe feel polished and attaching you to the in-game atmosphere. Why can't all 4x games do this!

• Locked thread