Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what can i do to help in the louisiana runoff if i'm out of state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LinYutang posted:

Republicans are now in control of a record 67 (68 percent) of the 98 partisan state legislative chambers in the nation, more than twice the number (31) in which Democrats have a majority, according to the bipartisan National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL).

yea we're in the fuckin gutter right now

Serf
May 5, 2011

anime was right posted:

doesnt this say everything about why democrats are losing local elections lol

We used to have the Blue Dog Democrats like John Barrow up until the recent post-Tea Party slaughter. Now we barely have anything and I'm starting to get the sense that we're pretty anemic. Doesn't matter, I'll do it myself if I have to.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
democratic success

Serf
May 5, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Based on your region/county, try one of these:

http://georgiayds.org/chapters/find-a-chapter/

lol not even one for my county. I guess I am gonna have to do it myself.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol u guys are no longer the democrats but the hubris party

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

GlyphGryph posted:

Let us know how it goes though, so we can learn what you learn. A lot of what needs to be done right now for us feels like just understanding the shape of things.

My email posted:

I found your contact info through the Mass Dems website.

I live in Somerville, and work full time. I'm interested in getting involved with the party on a local level. I didn't see any upcoming meetings or events, but if there are ones planned in the near future, please let me know, as I would like to attend and see how (and if) I can help.

Best,

Their response posted:

Welcome. We would love to have you involved. We are planning our upcoming events and Feargal who is the Vice Chair will add you to our email list. And Check our Somerville Dems facebook page as well as events come up.

Thanks for reaching out,

Their response posted:

Thanks BrownClown - I added you to our email list. What’s your address and I will add you to your local Ward committee list too. Thanks.

Thanks & Regards,

It was a quick reply from them, and I have no idea what the local Ward committee does, so I asked.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

BrownClown posted:

It was a quick reply from them, and I have no idea what the local Ward committee does, so I asked.

is this somerville, ma? you should come to a DSA meeting ;)

altho i'm super curious what somerville dems are like

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Serf posted:

Been a few days with no reply from the Georgia Democrats chair. Gonna start emailing everyone on the website soon, and if that doesn't work, I dunno, I guess I'll ask around at city hall?

I got a prompt response from Nikema Williams, the vice chair. She also asked me for thoughts regarding bernies appeal to people of color. I emailed them both but haven't heard from porter yet.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Baloogan posted:

The party mascot will be: Icarus

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I would theoretically like to get involved in local politics, but: social anxiety

e:
<------- this

Serf
May 5, 2011

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I got a prompt response from Nikema Williams, the vice chair. She also asked me for thoughts regarding bernies appeal to people of color. I emailed them both but haven't heard from porter yet.

Hell yeah. I'll email her as soon as I get home.

Baloogan posted:

I vote that we rename ourselves the Corncob Party, lest we forget our mistakes. Also we'll clinch that vital corn industry vote.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the corncob thing must have happened while I wasn't posting in C-SPAM, what's the deal

Urban Dictionary says that cobbing is projecting your own thoughts and prejudices onto other people and assuming everybody else thinks like you, is it a play on that

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Is there anything that can be done on the local level to make sure "sanctuary city" is more than just a nice label, or would that involve getting into armed conflict with ICE?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Baloogan posted:

the hubris party

m t quote

loquacius posted:

I think the corncob thing must have happened while I wasn't posting in C-SPAM, what's the deal

Urban Dictionary says that cobbing is projecting your own thoughts and prejudices onto other people and assuming everybody else thinks like you, is it a play on that

a lot happened in c-spam when people chilled out (sort of)

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Nov 17, 2016

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

Karl Barks posted:

is this somerville, ma? you should come to a DSA meeting ;)

altho i'm super curious what somerville dems are like

Yup. Somerville, MA. I did just join the DSA as part of their 10K push, and will hopefully attend their panel on education at MIT on Sunday.

I also know nothing about local politics and organizing, so I feel comfortable at least giving the Dems a chance.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
cobbed = owned

but cobbed is funny bc the association with corn is funny and fitting in many ways

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Fiction posted:

Is there anything that can be done on the local level to make sure "sanctuary city" is more than just a nice label, or would that involve getting into armed conflict with ICE?

at least in la sactuary city technically means the police force doesn't help ice in rounding up immigrants which massively hamstrings them as there are 5,000 total

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

jeez people
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

LinYutang posted:

democratic success

WA doesn't count. State Senate is a 1 seat majority but one dem caucuses with Republicans

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm still really surprised that dril tweet wasn't made into the CSPAM background the day after the election

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What's nuts to me is that there definitely is some sort of local presence in every state, but we're a group of pretty sharp people and can't seem to find a way in.

What hope would a less connected person working on their own have?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Can you give us an idea of what things are like politically there right now? I'll admit I know nothing about what's going on in the state.

Edwards, our democratic governor, has been having a slap fight with the GOP controlled state legislature. Mainly over what taxes to raise/ spending to cut because of some balanced budget law we have. In general we'll elect democrats now and again. For this election the initial results were:

Republican shitlord #1 - 25%
Foster Campbell -17.5%
Republican Shitlord #2 - 15.4%
Some Democrat Lawyer -12.5%
Republican Shitlord - 10.6%

It does no look very good

It's sad that northern Louisiana is full of lovely generic conservatives because even without global warming and oil spills we're environmentally hosed.

Like New Orleans underwater levels of hosed

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

NumberLast posted:

WA doesn't count. State Senate is a 1 seat majority but one dem caucuses with Republicans

I am still befuddled how this works. Like how do you keep the label.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I imagine for the dems at least most people are pulled from colleges or business or from local psa types getting more involved, not from older members of the general public suddenly deciding to start joining en masse

Basically same way they did it before the internet

Also thanks for the LA update

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Nov 17, 2016

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!
NYC goons getting peeved at how terrible our democratic party is: the working familys party is crazy in top of things. I'd recommend giving them a try. They were a huge force behind sanders' GOTV. There was an organizing call today that I missed because of work, but hopefully there'll be more.

https://actionnetwork.org/forms/come-home-to-the-working-families-party

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What's nuts to me is that there definitely is some sort of local presence in every state, but we're a group of pretty sharp people and can't seem to find a way in.

What hope would a less connected person working on their own have?

None lmao

As far as I can tell there's little to no effort being made to expand participation in the local parties, at least in CA. It seems focused on using what few people show up/volunteer to focus specifically on calling/knocking on doors/sending out mailers during election times.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Lemming posted:

None lmao

As far as I can tell there's little to no effort being made to expand participation in the local parties, at least in CA. It seems focused on using what few people show up/volunteer to focus specifically on calling/knocking on doors/sending out mailers during election times.

Pokemon Go to the polls

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
they have a baked in win in four or eight years so why do they give a gently caress

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
And you guys will probably make up some spots in two years, just automatically because you know Trump

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone expecting the Democratic party to be nothing but cowardly peckerwoods pecking away at whatever chicken feed they can get their they can get their beaks around is a fool

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck

Stop! I can only get so erect!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

Cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck

all the more reason to go to democratic party meetings so we can scream it in their faces

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

It's no "This whole thing smacks of gender," but it's pretty high up there.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ThndrShk2k posted:

The party mascot will be: Icarus

#only 80s dems will get this

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Points if Luna energy will always be my favorite. But smacks of gender is also great.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

unwantedplatypus posted:

Edwards, our democratic governor, has been having a slap fight with the GOP controlled state legislature. Mainly over what taxes to raise/ spending to cut because of some balanced budget law we have. In general we'll elect democrats now and again. For this election the initial results were:

Republican shitlord #1 - 25%
Foster Campbell -17.5%
Republican Shitlord #2 - 15.4%
Some Democrat Lawyer -12.5%
Republican Shitlord - 10.6%

It does no look very good

It's sad that northern Louisiana is full of lovely generic conservatives because even without global warming and oil spills we're environmentally hosed.

Like New Orleans underwater levels of hosed

i hope they don't fix it and lsu football gets cancelled like what almost happened this year

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!

turtle_07 posted:

NYC goons getting peeved at how terrible our democratic party is: the working familys party is crazy in top of things. I'd recommend giving them a try. They were a huge force behind sanders' GOTV. There was an organizing call today that I missed because of work, but hopefully there'll be more.

https://actionnetwork.org/forms/come-home-to-the-working-families-party

I was mistaken, it's 7pm tonight (4pm central).

You can get in on this hot hot action here: http://bit.ly/2fZLEOb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

big juicy nectarine posted:

It's no "This whole thing smacks of gender," but it's pretty high up there.

This is one of my favorites and is pretty prophetic
https://twitter.com/dril/status/244795644961767425

• Locked thread