Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

theyve been the best since 1998, but lets not talk about a thing that happened in 2015

Asema posted:

hold up one second let me post a link from 2015 for this argument because everything is set in stone phew lad

literally you are the person that said that btw. like two minutes ago. also what do you work for mlb am or what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i follow a poo poo ton of MLB bullshit throughout the season and fuckin laffo if you wanna fear monger over an article from 2015 but whatever

like there is an entire gif community on all the baseball subreddits designed to making baseball gifs throughout the season but HOLD UP

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

oh okay, i watch baseball too i guess we're at an impasse.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MLB has always said they want to continue reaching out to the younger audience

Deadspin and a bunch of GIF twitter accounts got blocked in 2015 but it wasn't because of the MLB:

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/653755057385639936

If the 2016 MLB season was any indicator in regards to loving GIFS ON TWITTER then there literally isn't anything to freak out about holy loving poo poo

I also brought up that they've had a great online presence since 1998 because they've gotten a lot of good will from it. While it's still 2016 and you are incapable of watching NFL games without a subscription they've been doing it since the early 2000's and at a cheap as gently caress price. Out of all the big sports the NBA/NHL have better online presences but the MLB is still up there in how it handles the online scope of it's sport. Them coming into league is a very very very good thing because their infrastructure and streaming capabilities are loving absurd and would do nothing but good things for League

Asema fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 17, 2016

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
im part of the gif community. its important to me

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

edit: okay fine whatever, i'm glad we're at least discussing this now. and yes the NFL is atrocious and has horrible online presence and costs a ludicrous amount and is awful, i'd be way more unhappy if they partnered, but it sucks because the NHL streaming apps and packages got worse under MLB AM.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 17, 2016

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Lovechop posted:

im part of the gif community. its important to me

GIFS ARE IMPORTANT THIS IS AN OUTRAGE :byodood:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
there's actually a really good video that explores this in depth here:

https://youtu.be/y9K18CGEeiI

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Lovechop posted:

:wow:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lovechop posted:

hot take :wow:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

broadcasting rights actually could become an issue, altho i am curious to see how it's handled in china, where a tournament sponsor recently had a player remove a sponsorship patch from their shirt in the middle of a broadcast.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lovechop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymFDtbk2teE

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how involved Tencent is in this program if it's going to include casting rights for LPL and LCK

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd say something about Riot being dumb if they made a deal that put their twitch streaming at risk but it is the e-sports side of Riot we are talking about and boy do they make some really dumb decisions.

If they really are moving towards MLB AM then they probably want to launch their own streaming services so they don't have to deal with Twitch. MLB AM already has the technology available for picture in picture or to select an audio track without bothering the source video along with a long list of features that Riot could use for their streams. (Like during worlds where there was different streams going on for player experience/new player experience and the regular old stream this could all have been handled with a setting within the html5 player that MLB.tv uses).

They could pull a GSL and offer a low quality / one stream and audio for their twitch stream while offering 4k / bunch of options on their own service.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

now THIS is what i'm talkin about

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kashuno posted:

I wonder how involved Tencent is in this program if it's going to include casting rights for LPL and LCK

zhanqi literally bought the streaming rights to a tournament in the middle of a tournament, and shut down one of the two streams. in the middle of the tournament that was being broadcast. this is not an exaggeration, literally in the middle of it. lpl and lspl broadcasting rights (and production) were actually handled very badly in season six and other than potentially consumer unfriendly policies anything they might do to those broadcasting rights will probably be an improvement, at least english stream wise. also probably chinese stream wise.

but i am more curious about how they'll deal with third party tournaments (like the previously mentioned NEST) as well as things like the fact that a LOT of chinese contracts have streaming rights and even hours mandates written in to them. those contracts have actually been very bad for the region as player quality has dropped off noticeably since they've become more prevalent. its no big deal if Vasilii rages out and dropkicks Caveman, knocking him unconscious. in fact that would probably be a huge benefit to VG. but it is a problem when an actually important player has to spend a large portion of his free time streaming instead of literally anything else.

edit: i think any scenario where they try to elbow in on OGN further is going to be a potential disaster. if they just wanna replace spotv or whatever cool.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not too familiar with the lpl so that's really interesting stuff. I would hope Riot learned after trying to get SpoTV to take over broadcasting LCK and the strong backlash against it that lead to this bizarre split broadcast poo poo they have now that maybe they shouldn't try to gently caress with OGN anymore but it's riot so who knows

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can we even assume that riot knows what riot is doin

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Asema posted:

can we even assume that riot knows what riot is doin

based on the size of the company riot has no idea what riot is doing

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Kashuno posted:

I'm not too familiar with the lpl so that's really interesting stuff. I would hope Riot learned after trying to get SpoTV to take over broadcasting LCK and the strong backlash against it that lead to this bizarre split broadcast poo poo they have now that maybe they shouldn't try to gently caress with OGN anymore but it's riot so who knows
Rumors say that Riot wanted to phase out LCK out of petty spite because people kept comparing LCS to LCK unvavorably.

China is just crazy. It's not a surprise that kind of stuff goes on

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

china is very good and cool

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Lovechop posted:

I agree with the content of this youtube video.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Faker - Mata in the first round :)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/MonteCristo/status/799269672164044800

https://twitter.com/MonteCristo/status/799270232514707456

This is getting so petty and pathetic lol

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
He is insanely mad lmao

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

montecristo is a big baby and I'm glad I don't have to hear him anymore.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Thorin also sucks poo poo as a writer and Monte's inexplicable love of Thorin is the worst thing about Monte

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It's like if Skip Bayless and Chris Cunningham had a show together

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As a monte fan holy gently caress would he just shut the hell up

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I for one can't wait for Joe Buck to cast S7 Worlds.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingcobweb posted:

It's like if Skip Bayless and Chris Cunningham had a show together

please don't make me throw up

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

introducing madison bunggardner, the ADC for samsung galaxy

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

And Faker... hits the skillshot. What a play.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE HOT TAKE TIME: he's not wrong on either of the fronts and those are both very valid points of criticism towards a team that has done almost literally nothing in the past year and a half or so, even if one of those criticisms involves jerkin thorin's gerkin

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Kashuno posted:

As a monte fan holy gently caress would he just shut the hell up

Yeah this is where I am. I actually like monte (and thoorin!?!?!) a lot, but monte needs to stfu on twitter about hating riot. It's just really old and transparent at this point.

e: richard lewis can gently caress right off though, he is the worst.

Philip Rivers posted:

real talk though I would listen to Mike Breen cast lol in a heartbeat

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 18, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Luna Was Here posted:

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE HOT TAKE TIME: he's not wrong on either of the fronts and those are both very valid points of criticism towards a team that has done almost literally nothing in the past year and a half or so, even if one of those criticisms involves jerkin thorin's gerkin

The second one is not even vaguely a valid point. Number of words is not even close to a metric of quality or effort. If Thoorin says "gently caress you and gently caress regi" 600000 times that doesn't make it better than The Old Man and the Sea. The first one is more defensible but given Monte's relationship with Riot it's clearly bitter sniping rather than genuine concern about the lore.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I couldn't give fewer shits about Monte but lol that this lore actually took over a dozen paid writers instead of being hastily shat out by the game designers.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
SKT vs ROX starting right now at Kespa cup.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
monte is really annoying lately but i do think it's funny that riot hired 17 people to repeatedly write the holds up spork meme over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

loving LS? Yuck. Monte/DoA are literally casting Overwatch right now :(

• Locked thread