Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Tatum Girlparts posted:

is this the fastest a symbol has become commodified and completely meaningless? Like, it feels like there was A day when the thing was 'ok these pins are kinda dumb but it's a way to show you're safe for if someone needs help or someone you know needs to talk like maybe a friend who's still kinda on the DL but scared about gay issues' and it instantly just became 'LOOK AT ME I'M AN ALLY I AM VERY GOOD AND MORAL I SPENT 700 DOLLARS ON THIS PIN TO SHOW IT'

I know /pol/ was trying to claim this was a false-flag (that they are responsible for it) but I think that is a lie, its just pure idiotic Moral Consumerism in full loving force.

I think its because its such a perfect storm - its jewellery, you can accessorize with it, everyone was full on Shook from Trump, so yeah, all of the coastal cities immediately went into retail therapy mode.

--
#UnWoke Brands caught in the crossfire:

http://www.cleveland.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/11/thanks_to_donald_trump_and_hil.html

quote:

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Just in time for Black Friday shopping sprees, we bring bad news.

You cannot shop.

At least, you cannot shop at popular spots if you voted for either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. (Gary Johnson fans can rejoice.) Activists on both the left and right sides of the political spectrum believe that your dollars speak louder than your ballot, and they are unified on a store you should stay out of: Macy's.

Some on the left, led by the Grab Your Wallet movement, want you to boycott Macy's because the department store sells Ivanka Trump's clothing line. The problem, they say, is that Ivanka Trump speaks publicly about supporting strong women, but she strongly supported her father, whose comments about women have been crude, lewd and offensive.

Yet Donald Trump supporters and elements of the right, claiming a sweeping victory in the presidential and congressional elections last week, have been put out with Macy's since last year. That's when Macy's stopped selling Donald Trump's line of menswear – a response to the then-candidate's derogatory remarks about Mexican immigrants. So as a candidate, Donald Trump agreed that people should not shop there.

Macy's said it valued diversity; Donald Trump and his supporters said Macy's was being politically correct to the extreme.

Okay, but Macy's is only one store. So head to Target for your holiday shopping. Or don't. The religious right still is boycotting Target for its acceptance of transgender bathroom rights.

While Target says inclusivity is one of its core beliefs, the Mississippi-based American Family Association reminded supporters last month that it believes Target has "a dangerous and controversial restroom and fitting room policy."

Fine. There's always Amazon.com. Or there isn't.

Amazon is on the Grab Your Wallet boycott list because it sells Trump merchandise.

But Trump himself tried to spur anti-Amazon sentiment during his campaign, suggesting the company might have an antitrust problem. Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post, which had tough ongoing coverage of the then-candidate's business and charity practices.

Who knew that shopping would become such a political exercise? Maybe it's time for a cool drink while considering your options. Just don't make it a Pepsi, says the family values movement.

The Family Research Council, a conservative group whose executives include Ken Blackwell, now on President-elect Trump's transition team, called for a boycott of Pepsi on Wednesday.

Pepsi's offense? It's CEO, Indri Noovi, did some serious and public complaining about Trump's Election Day victory. Citing sexist (and worse) comments Trump made during and before his presidential campaign, Noovi told a New York Times Dealbook conference, "Forget about the Pepsi brand. How dare you talk about women that way." And when asked about Trump's win over Hillary Clinton, the Democratic candidate, she said, "Is there a box of tissues here?"

Those comments were "the last straw," said a blog post from the Family Research Council's Tony Perkins, who disdained Clinton's social policies and criticizes Pepsi for support of Planned Parenthood. "Unless Noovi and company see the light, maybe it's time to take the real Pepsi challenge and start drinking something new," the blog post said.

Coke, perhaps?

Don't look for political unity there, either.

Coke's opposition to state-based mandatory product labeling of genetically modified foods has drawn derision – and a call for a boycott -- from some. But more broadly, Coca-Cola ranked high on a list of companies disliked by liberals when Fortune in June released results of a survey on companies and the public's political and cultural views.

"The big head scratcher here is why liberals hate Coca-Cola while conservatives think PepsiCo is bad for the country," Fortune said.

Fortune speculated that maybe it was because of their corporate colors. (Coke is red. Pepsi is blue.) Or the locations of their headquarters. (Coke's is in the South, Pepsi's in the Northeast.) "But for whatever reason," Fortune concluded, "the Coke-Pepsi political divide is just another sign that when it comes to politics, commerce is less immune than ever."

Laphroaig has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Nov 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Laphroaig posted:

I know /pol/ was trying to claim this was a false-flag (that they are responsible for it) but I think that is a lie, its just pure idiotic Moral Consumerism in full loving force.

I think its because its such a perfect storm - its jewellery, you can accessorize with it, everyone was in full on Shook from Trump mode, so yeah, all of the coastal cities immediately go into retail therapy mode.

yea I'm not surprised at all this is where it ended up I just expected like...a week or so of it actually meaning 'look I'm safe to talk to if you're trying to keep a low profile or need help with something you feel is dangerous' before it became the gold star for allies to wear. Like, it was always kinda dumb, but at least its original point was coming from a good place. I actually do have some friends who have, since the election season and all, are now nervous talking to strangers if they need, say, directions or something because of assorted things they feel out them as a target. It's kinda nice that for a bit people were actually trying to find some decent symbol to show nice and clear they won't be starting poo poo or whatever.

I'm gonna blame Etsy, every lovely 500 dollar gold painted pin I've seen has been from those assholes.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i decided to actually try to listen to this song and i highly recommend yall do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V8qWhtbFHA

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Laphroaig posted:

I think its because its such a perfect storm - its jewellery, you can accessorize with it, everyone was full on Shook from Trump, so yeah, all of the coastal cities immediately went into retail therapy mode.

--

http://www.cleveland.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/11/thanks_to_donald_trump_and_hil.html

I didn't read that

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i decided to actually try to listen to this song and i highly recommend yall do it

i want to find out how bad this is

but clicking on it will put it in my youtube history

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

seriously listen to this, everyone. this is so important right now.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

devtesla posted:

I didn't read that

TLDR:

Dreddout posted:

My ideology is Pepsi!
Consumerism and politics have reached a singularity. I'm afraid to make jokes in this thread, for fear that they will become very real.

Dreddout has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Nov 17, 2016

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

brocretin posted:

listened to it

super important rn

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Homework Explainer posted:

seriously listen to this, everyone. this is so important right now.

powerful. moving. super important. everyone needs to listen to this message NOW. I've made fun of Hamilton but I can now say that like a baby suffering from the scourge of the lack of object permanence, I simply couldn't see how good it was

thank u sheng,,, thank you for changing me,,,

Laphroaig has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Nov 17, 2016

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

devtesla posted:

I didn't read that

tl;dr everything is problematic, everyone that did read it wanted to reply with that image halfway through but the OP beat us to it

brocretin posted:

y'all all open it in a private window if you're still worried about this

me, i don't wanna. but i guess i really hafta.

that was just lame

ArgumentatumE.C.T. has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Nov 17, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Laphroaig posted:

--

LOL. I buy Christmas poo poo in either august/October or middle December(mostly in the town i got to college at because it has record/electronics store and a nice book store or gently caress it amazon). but yeah, no one will actually not boycott except for some of the diehard rubes on both sides.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol, that was pretty good.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Hamilton is a perfectly good musical despite whitewashing a ton of poo poo about American history and the knee jerk reaction of nerds hating it after Hillary lost without having listened is funny to me. Did you really think the only people who liked it were the wealthy elites who could afford a scalped ticket?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fiction posted:

Hamilton is a perfectly good musical despite whitewashing a ton of poo poo about American history and the knee jerk reaction of nerds hating it after Hillary lost without having listened is funny to me. Did you really think the only people who liked it were the wealthy elites who could afford a scalped ticket?

I think they're the people who push it as even remotely significant, yes.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Fiction posted:

i always thought it was dumb cuz i don't like musicals :shrug:

also people who were only aware of alexander hamilton b/c of it is sorta depressing

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fiction posted:

Yeah its got good music. I have some friends who are worse off then I am and very, very white, and love that musical

But the fact alot didn't know about AH is kind of sad. While Paine is far better he defintley was one of the better founders.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

But the fact alot didn't know about AH is kind of sad. While Paine is far better he defintley was one of the better founders.

why should most people give a poo poo about the founding fathers lol. gently caress em

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fiction posted:

This is true that it's a perfectly decent musical beyond the obvious issues of 'uh hey all these guys owned slaves and were pretty proud about it so it's kinda weird to have Hamilton be all 'heh you guys in the south do all your work with slaves' as a sick burn'.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think they're the people who push it as even remotely significant, yes.

This, however, is also true, because the only people who push it as some grand cultural cornerstone and do absurd stunts like 'we spent a poo poo ton of money sending students from a poor school to see Hamilton, no we didn't donate any of that to the school history program or anything' are people stuck in a bubble of wealth where this idea of being able to manufacture a cultural revolution is even possible, let alone is a good one.

Hamilton is a good play, lin manuel miranda seems like a cool and genuinely sweet guy who is good at writing music. It's the turning it from 'oh, yea, this is neat, and hey cool of him to focus on a less known historical figure' to 'THIS IS SO IMPORTANT YOU GUYS, THIS IS AN IMPORTANT CULTURAL TOUCHSTONE WE'RE SHARING' that's very much the domain of the kind of people who think 'go see this broadway show, it'll change your life' is advice that's applicable to the majority of Americans. I say this as a huge theater nerd who fully respects and understands the power of theater to change lives, but granting a single play some near divine status isn't healthy or even fair to the play itself. If you go to Hamilton expecting some life changing experience you'll probably be very disappointed. If you go expecting to see a pretty solid play about a neat dude that has some historical issues in the name of telling a good story, you'll have a good time.

Also I thought Alexander Hamilton was cool before the play so I get to be a smug history nerd about the inaccuracies in it. That has nothing to do with the wealth bubble it's just a sweet bonus.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Fiction posted:

i dont like it because i like history

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea I'm not surprised at all this is where it ended up I just expected like...a week or so of it actually meaning 'look I'm safe to talk to if you're trying to keep a low profile or need help with something you feel is dangerous' before it became the gold star for allies to wear. Like, it was always kinda dumb, but at least its original point was coming from a good place. I actually do have some friends who have, since the election season and all, are now nervous talking to strangers if they need, say, directions or something because of assorted things they feel out them as a target. It's kinda nice that for a bit people were actually trying to find some decent symbol to show nice and clear they won't be starting poo poo or whatever.

I'm gonna blame Etsy, every lovely 500 dollar gold painted pin I've seen has been from those assholes.

lmao at being so terrified of the world you cant ask someone for directions

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terror Sweat posted:

lmao at being so terrified of the world you cant ask someone for directions

the main friend I was thinking of on that is a trans woman who feels her voice is still too 'mannish' to pass and has already been attacked before.

it is hilarious ya, owned am i right.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I'm glad I read the comments for once.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e63e_RgvDvY

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I've listened to Hamilton straight through I think twice now and have gone back to few songs occasionally

I still make fun of it, as everyone should

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

I've listened to Hamilton straight through I think twice now and have gone back to few songs occasionally

I still make fun of it, as everyone should

:yeah:

Also the strongest parts of it are anything not focused on lin manuel miranda. I like him, he's not bad, but the ladies who play Angelica and Eliza were way better, too bad their only songs were about how bad they want that Hamil-dong or how the Hamil-dong ruined their life.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Are those conflict free or blood diamonds?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Are those conflict free or blood diamonds?

lol

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/797281458310107136

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tatum Girlparts posted:

:yeah:

Also the strongest parts of it are anything not focused on lin manuel miranda. I like him, he's not bad, but the ladies who play Angelica and Eliza were way better, too bad their only songs were about how bad they want that Hamil-dong or how the Hamil-dong ruined their life.

i've seen it, it's fine. lin-manuel was easily the weakest performer and he readily admits that. i might go in on the chicago lottery since it's a really strong cast and only $10

it's still the province of the worst type of nerd though

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Please listen to the Hamilton OST everyone, it's more important now than ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-POLR8qF_o

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lmao

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So wearing a safety pin is basically like going around telling everyone that you aren't racist right?

Because that seems hosed up.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

I don't like the phrase 'virtue signaling,' in fact I hate it, but the safety pin does seem like one of those things.

But I don't get people who are really loving bothered by it or find it just the most hilarious though. Like who cares? They're just people. It's so much more funny when brands or w/e do this stuff

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Apple is selling a $200-$300 book that is essentially a longform Apple advertisement.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLXF2LL/A/designed-by-apple-in-california-102-x-128-inches

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus gently caress have these jack offs read anything except some loving kids book about some snake wizard.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus gently caress have these jack offs read anything except some loving kids book about some snake wizard.

the short answer is "no." the long answer is "noooooooooooooo"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean to be fair I MAINLY blame the american education system at this point

But no

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i'm guessing many of them only watched the movies and couldn't be bothered to read a book
but geezus this harry potter poo poo is getting out of hand

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/bea_ker/status/797986007253598209

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

hahaha