Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like how the guy who oversaw the remake for FF3 was the same guy responsible for FF11 and FF14 1.0. Of course it's the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The most fun part of the IIImake is that completely unexpected classes that you'd expect to be garbage can get hilariously strong. Geomancer can hit the damage cap surprisingly quickly and often.

My personal favorite is the surprising amiunt of attack damage Scholars can do if they dual-wield books. My most reliable damage for much of the game was the world's scariest bookworm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Phantasium posted:

I'm going through the gameboy Final Fantasy Legends games and it's kind of crazy how much better they are than actual Final Fantasy 2.

FFL lets you murder God with a chainsaw and the Glass Sword has 50 uses instead of 1.

IIRC it's possible to make your monsters in to max-tier units in the first or second world as long as you know what types of meat to eat at each tier to skip ahead in monster tiers.

Mega64 posted:

That's the only good way to play 2. Skip the bullshit parts and just break it in half. The remakes even reward you for getting the most powerful spell to L16 by buffing a minigame to give even more broken loot!

And don't forget that the boards for said minigame will (eventually) repeat, so if you keep track of each board's layout once they start repeating you can refer to your notes to ensure you get the exact loot reward you want. :eng101:

The only thing you want is Masamunes though because Genji Armor just means you're going to never dodge anything even with max stats and the hp drain enemies are going to wreck your poo poo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In Training posted:

FFIIIDS isnt going to like, kill you. It's just a mediocre JRPG/
Very few JRPG's are going to literally kill you. It's not a great metric.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Very few JRPG's are going to literally kill you. It's not a great metric.

There are JRPGs I would rather kill myself than play, does that count?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Potato Jones posted:

Go to the next dimension over and bring back Final Fantasy III: Dawn of Souls.

Go to the next Final Fantasy: Dimensions if you will.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

ImpAtom posted:

There are JRPGs I would rather kill myself than play, does that count?

Which one/s?

I guess mine would be 7th Saga. That game was loving poison.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Which one/s?

As bad as FF3DS is it isn't anywhere as absurdly and insanely badly designed as the original Neptunia or Last Rebellion or Lunar DS or as utterly and abhorrent putrid as Criminal Girls just off the top of my head.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

I like how the guy who oversaw the remake for FF3 was the same guy responsible for FF11 and FF14 1.0. Of course it's the same guy.
Do you know where he ended up after that? Because it's even funnier.

Puzzle & Dragons

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

As bad as FF3DS is it isn't anywhere as absurdly and insanely badly designed as the original Neptunia or Last Rebellion or Lunar DS or as utterly and abhorrent putrid as Criminal Girls just off the top of my head.

Googled that last one and :yikes: I'll take your word that it's a JRPG but I can't help thinking, from glancing at a few screenshots, that it should be qualified less as a JRPG and more like, I dunno, as part of a sting operation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Googled that last one and :yikes: I'll take your word that it's a JRPG but I can't help thinking, from glancing at a few screenshots, that it should be qualified less as a JRPG and more like, I dunno, as part of a sting operation.

I loving wish. It got a sequel!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The original Japanese version of 7th Saga was pretty good, I liked it.

The localization just...hosed up the difficulty real bad.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I mean, it's personal for me in ways that go beyond the game itself. Aside from being wretched, it was ridiculously rare up here, thus consequently overpriced (120 Canadian bucks! 1995 ones at that!) and just to really rub it in, my cartridge had a defective save battery that deleted my save if I didn't load it within like five minutes. That only happened after I finished my playthrough but still. It didn't matter that I didn't want to replay it, I couldn't even if I didn't want to. Just... gently caress that loving game.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

:toot: Eat poo poo "elite" and thanks for the 1s that helped me build that x11 multiplier bonus

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I would totally try an English version with the Japanese difficulty. Game might even be fun if it isn't actively hating you.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay so, I've found IX is on the iOS. Is that a decent port?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

What are the things people dislike about FF3DS? I've been doing a playthrough of all the FFs (on 5 at the moment, I'd previously only played 6 onward) and I found the PSP version really adorable and enjoyable. Of course that might just have been in comparison to 2 which really deserves its poor rep.

Mega64 posted:

That's the only good way to play 2. Skip the bullshit parts and just break it in half. The remakes even reward you for getting the most powerful spell to L16 by buffing a minigame to give even more broken loot!

By what metric is levelling a spell to 16 "skipping the bullshit parts"? I think I finished my run of 2 with my highest level spell being like 5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Okay so, I've found IX is on the iOS. Is that a decent port?

It's the best version of the game. I mean, unless you play it on PC or some other device capable of using actual buttons, but hey, I beat it on iOS with only minor cursing at the controls.

hit button posted:

What are the things people dislike about FF3DS? I've been doing a playthrough of all the FFs (on 5 at the moment, I'd previously only played 6 onward) and I found the PSP version really adorable and enjoyable. Of course that might just have been in comparison to 2 which really deserves its poor rep.

Somebody else can list even more things wrong, but on the most basic fundamental levels there are two issues. First, they buffed bosses and gave them two turns a round, which combined with an almost 100% randomized turn order results in the possibility of even with intense grinding losing simply because the RNG decided the boss was going to get 4 turns in a row or something equivalent. Second, they added a massive penalty to doing the games core feature of switching jobs, and made the only way to alleviate this stacking penalty copious amounts of grinding.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 18, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Which one/s?

7th Saga was fine as long as you used the fan patch that fixed* the level up stats (or it's the Japanese version with the English text applied, whatever), or set a controller with turbo to hold down A and left/right to let your party power level over night once you had the runes you had to fight other apprentices for.

There's a full translation patch for Mystic Ark, aka 7th Saga 2, but I never got around to playing it. It looks decent aside from the goofy search mechanic the game has, which looks like it'd get old fast. I want to try it but I don't have the time to spend on what'd probably take 15-20+ hours even on an emulator. 7th Saga is far, far better of a game than poo poo like FF3DS or Suikoden Tierkreis. I never played Lunar DS but I couldn't even make it through the Let's Play of it so I can only imagine how loving bad it is. Golden Sun is also a shitfest of a game IIRC.

* Made your character and your partner gain stats at the same rate as apprentices who weren't in your party. I think it was originally 'level/10 + stat range' instead of just 'stat range' when you leveled. All I know is I managed to recruit a level 60 Lux after doing overnight powerleveling and he could one shot everything in the game after defending once, while my Wilhem was lucky to do 1/4 his damage even with an attack boost.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm still baffled by the fact that the game's difficulty got so badly hosed up during the localization. I just don't even know what or how they managed to do that but if they hadn't then the game would've done much better and we might've gotten Mystic Ark. Instead 7th Saga was a brutal-as-gently caress game that you could easily make unwinnable by leveling up too much early on due to the aforementioned "apprentices not in your party still level properly" thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hit button posted:

What are the things people dislike about FF3DS?

I can't speak for everyone but there was a point in the game where I suddenly went from "standard random encounter difficulty and challenging but fair bosses" to "lol you're hosed if you even get a random encounter" and I didn't have it in me to grind enough to deal with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I never played Lunar DS but I couldn't even make it through the Let's Play of it so I can only imagine how loving bad it is.

Its truly loving miserable. I played so very much of it because I loved the other Lunar games, including the Gameboy Advanced version and crappy Saturn original, and its just not possible. There are games that are boring or repetitive, or in the case of 7th Saga just broken, but they aren't usually explicitly designed to be as transparently loathing of the player in the way Lunar Dragon Song is.

I mean, for crying out loud you take constant damage by running.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

It's the best version of the game. I mean, unless you play it on PC or some other device capable of using actual buttons, but hey, I beat it on iOS with only minor cursing at the controls.

Oh, so this Steam version is preferrable to the ios one?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

It's you! It's you that said Enix was a shining beacon of JRPG excellence in the SNES era and cited 7th Saga as an example in the previous thread! You hell fucker!

I mean... whatever floats your boat, different strokes, all that bullshit – but 7th Saga "was" not fine. Maybe it is *now* if you patch it, I don't know and never will, and it's interesting that different versions of games exist thanks to rereleases, fan patches and the like, but how am I patching 7th Saga on my SNES in 1995? Similarly, automating EXP grinding for a whole night... I mean seriously, that makes the game fine? Not that I had a turbo controller in the first place, nor should that be a prerequisite! Just... no, man, these are not examples why 7th Saga was fine, not in this universe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Oh, so this Steam version is preferrable to the ios one?

They're functionally the same game, just the Steam version has actual button controls since it's on your computer which is always a superior experience to using touch controls. If you plan to play on the go though, obviously, there isn't much discussion and its not like it prevented me from playing the game long enough to remember how much I hated chocobo hot and cold and instead just beat the final boss.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

They're functionally the same game, just the Steam version has actual button controls since it's on your computer which is always a superior experience to using touch controls. If you plan to play on the go though, obviously, there isn't much discussion and its not like it prevented me from playing the game long enough to remember how much I hated chocobo hot and cold and instead just beat the final boss.

I have twin three year olds. I'm never on the go. Steam it is.Thanks for helping me make an informed decision

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Golden Sun is also a shitfest of a game IIRC.

Nah, that's a bit harsh. You won't find me singing its praises or anything, but Golden Sun is a fine My First JRPG. At least, if Mystic Quest counts, no way GS shouldn't. :v:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
golden sun has good puzzles

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Sun is like, grits without cheese at a buffet line. Its a JRPG product, but its missing any reason why you'd want to prioritize putting it on your plate and there is just more there than you'd ever want to fight through.

It also included the bafflingly archaic "feature" where characters won't auto-select a new target if the target they were attacking dies.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Nah, that's a bit harsh. You won't find me singing its praises or anything, but Golden Sun is a fine My First JRPG. At least, if Mystic Quest counts, no way GS shouldn't. :v:

In Mystic Quest your characters don't go into ten-minute conversations where they discuss nothing of importance.

Every time in my childhood I tried to replay Golden Sun I'd get stonewalled by the insanely long and tedious intro and just stop. It has some of the most ridiculous pacing issues I've seen in a game.

hit button posted:

By what metric is levelling a spell to 16 "skipping the bullshit parts"? I think I finished my run of 2 with my highest level spell being like 5.

You're right that you really shouldn't need to go to 16, but magic is pretty good and even in my NES run where it's much harder to gain levels I managed to get a few spells to 8-9 and one to 10. After a certain point (around half-way through the game once MP issues aren't as much a thing and the enemies start hitting like bricks) the best strategy is to have one frontliner to evade-tank physical attacks while your mages wreck poo poo. Even if you split to Black Mage/White Mage, White Mage gets Holy in Mysidia which is very powerful. You only really need to grind MP for the first dungeon, and at that point you have Minwu as a solid back-up. After that your MP should be enough to handle the long, tedious dungeons if you mix in physical attacks, and later on you get spells like Change and Osmose to help with magic issues.

Of course the problem is none of this poo poo is intuitive or obvious, so instead of explaining the subtleties of the game's mechanics in the remakes, the developers just made everything vastly easier, which honestly is still an improvement since it makes it even easier to break the game sideways. Just wish they fixed the terrible dungeons though.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 18, 2016

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I played the second Golden Sun game first and it's pretty solid. I remember going back to the first one and finding it to be significantly worse in basically every way. I wouldn't call it bad outside of some pacing issues that I remember mostly being at the start, but it's pretty steeped in the clichés of the genre and doesn't go to any great efforts to hide that.

Basically anyone who wants to play Golden Sun shouldn't, and should play Golden Sun: The Lost Age instead.

FF3 punishing you for switching classes is basically the worst thing. God I love 5.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

hit button posted:

Speaking as someone who actually liked the FF3 remake:
You receive a penalty to stats when you change Jobs. I guess it's to encourage you to play "fairly" and not just change up your Jobs whenever you feel like it.
Random turn order. This was already covered but man, you can easily get wiped by this.
lovely plot and characters. Should be expected from an early FF game but it's still a flaw.
Gimmick dungeons where you have to put status effects on your party

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I kinda like the gimmicky dungeons, admittedly.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

NikkolasKing posted:

You receive a penalty to stats when you change Jobs. I guess it's to encourage you to play "fairly" and not just change up your Jobs whenever you feel like it.

Tired Moritz posted:

I kinda like the gimmicky dungeons, admittedly.
If you weren't specifically hindered by using the primary mechanic of the game, those dungeons would be fine. Mini dungeon, everybody go magic. "Haha, nope, should have thought of that before you were introduced to this dungeon's gimmick."

Edit: I am not fond of FFIII DS at all, but I do appreciate and actually like the original. Had they been less actively hateful towards the player, the remake would have been a solid game; all the non-gameplay elements are great.

Potato Jones fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 18, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Potato Jones posted:

all the non-gameplay elements are great.

I'll give you this and go a step further and say that some of the player-blind mechanics were cool, like leveling up your characters' individual proficiency with different weapon types, but the tiny edges they give the meticulous player, while cool, are mechanically overshadowed by... well, everything else.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking as someone who actually liked the FF3 remake:
Random turn order. This was already covered but man, you can easily get wiped by this.
Gimmick dungeons where you have to put status effects on your party
Maybe I'm just a broken man but I actually enjoyed these features.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is it just me or Bravely Second easier than BD1? I've been in chapter 5 for a bit and at some point earlier (basically once I got ninja class) I started just smoking everything. Maybe I just got better at finding good ability synergies

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Is it just me or Bravely Second easier than BD1? I've been in chapter 5 for a bit and at some point earlier (basically once I got ninja class) I started just smoking everything. Maybe I just got better at finding good ability synergies

Bravely Second isn't really easier but it gives you broken skill combos a bit earlier and anyone who played BD is going to be much faster at exploiting those skill combos. It does lack the Chapter 7 super-hard challenge fights though

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

You're right that you really shouldn't need to go to 16, but magic is pretty good and even in my NES run where it's much harder to gain levels I managed to get a few spells to 8-9 and one to 10. After a certain point (around half-way through the game once MP issues aren't as much a thing and the enemies start hitting like bricks) the best strategy is to have one frontliner to evade-tank physical attacks while your mages wreck poo poo. Even if you split to Black Mage/White Mage, White Mage gets Holy in Mysidia which is very powerful. You only really need to grind MP for the first dungeon, and at that point you have Minwu as a solid back-up. After that your MP should be enough to handle the long, tedious dungeons if you mix in physical attacks, and later on you get spells like Change and Osmose to help with magic issues.

Of course the problem is none of this poo poo is intuitive or obvious, so instead of explaining the subtleties of the game's mechanics in the remakes, the developers just made everything vastly easier, which honestly is still an improvement since it makes it even easier to break the game sideways. Just wish they fixed the terrible dungeons though.

I was playing the PSX version which is apparently pretty close to NES mechanics, and my black mage basically just threw berserkga/hastega and smacked my guys with the healing staff. The magic levelling system wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so incredibly slow to level stuff. I remember getting to later stages in the game and realising I'd need to cast esuna several hundred times in order to be able to cure petrify, so obviously I just said gently caress it and bought a bunch of gold needles instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

[quote="Txn" post="46657639I can li4"]
Maybe I'm just a broken man but I actually enjoyed these features.
[/quote]

None of these things are deal-breakers but the random turn order thing is incredibly frustrating. Salamander, the boss before the second crystal, can use Fire Breath twice in a row and there's pretty much nothing you can do. You just die, especially if he got his turn off before you got a heal.

Now, the game still has a lot of things I like. The "magic tier" system is much more interesting than MP. Only being able to use so many spells per tier is very neat. Of course, Devouts have so many points in the highest tiers that you're never in any danger. I've thought about trying to beat the game again without one.

I also liked the Evoker job which had summons doing multiple things when, uh, summoned. Nice little roll of the dice thing.

I've played three games with Job Systems - Blue Dragon, FF3 and FF5 - and I've had fun with all of them. I wish it was in more stuff.