Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

So it's entirely too late at night and I can't sleep so...

http://pirates.hegewisch.net/money.html

https://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ppoweruk/

Treating that as correct, tossing the 800 pieces of eight in to that calculator gets you ~£111,600.00 in today's money (which could be as little as 27,900 depending on the exchange rate). That's ~$140k. Seems really god drat high.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/default0.asp#mid

This gets you ~£69k for 2005, which in turn is ~£92k (~$114k). Still kind of high but if it's enough to put you out of the business forever it's a decent enough nest egg I suppose.

That's making some hefty assumptions of course.

http://www.w3r-us.org/history/library/seligreptde6.pdf

One pound sterling was work 2.5 to 3.5 pieces of eight (320 to 229 pounds for the pieces of eight) per this document which puts it closer to the £27,900 mentioned above. Which is ~35k. Seems more reasonable.

http://projects.exeter.ac.uk/RDavies/arian/current/howmuch.html

This has a bunch of nifty costs from various periods. Which is where I found this: http://pierre-marteau.com/wiki/index.php?title=Prices_and_Wages

To give you an idea of what that's worth in wages for the time period. It's around what a barrister would make in two or three years or what a skilled textile worker would make in a decade.

Keep in mind all the math being done is while I'm bored/sleep deprived.

It helps that money back then was worth more than it is now in some ways, as the cost of living was far lower. The equivalent of $30,000 would get you a lot farther in 1700 than it does in 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do wonder what Nate told work to go on this adventure, because he had to have said something so they don't call the house.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

bobjr posted:

I do wonder what Nate told work to go on this adventure, because he had to have said something so they don't call the house.

He agreed to the Malaysian Job, but keeps telling them he missed the flight or got onto the wrong plane.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Or he just has a lot of PTO saved up.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

David D. Davidson posted:

Or he just has a lot of PTO saved up.

Judging from the fact that he's basically second in command and has been working there a while, probably without taking any time off since that would mean missing sweet dives in the Hudson river, this is probably the case.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're all gonna feel real silly when his boss shows up with tears in his eyes and the same conversation he just had with Elena happens again in a couple chapters

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CJacobs posted:

You're all gonna feel real silly when his boss shows up with tears in his eyes and the same conversation he just had with Elena happens again in a couple chapters

Shortly after it'll be Cutter heartbroken that Drake didn't ask him along on more wacky hijinks. Then Chloe.

Then Jeff.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I have to wonder why Cutter didn't die if he was never going to be relevant again

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Fecha posted:

I have to wonder why Cutter didn't die if he was never going to be relevant again
He was going to show up in this game, but that got thrown out of the window when the creative shakeups happened at ND.

Maybe the single player DLC for this game will be a Chloe/Cutter story happening during this game.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

He was going to show up in this game, but that got thrown out of the window when the creative shakeups happened at ND.

Maybe the single player DLC for this game will be a Chloe/Cutter story happening during this game.

Chloe does offer Nate a job. Wouldn't be surprised if she went for Cutter after never hearing back from him.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sam and Cutter would overlap in terms of character anyway. Though honestly I think Cutter worked a little better than Sam, but that's kinda hurt by Sam kinda coming out of nowhere.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I would totally play a DLC story-mode where Cutter overcomes his claustrophobia.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fecha posted:

These characters aren't real and need people who do exist to voice them. If the people who do exist can't schedule the time to voice these characters, they have no choice but to scrap them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that happened in uncharted 3 but it isn't why he's not around here

anyway I don't see why you need to kill someone off just because they aren't relevant anymore. that'd be like having the picture with tenzin at the beginning of this game have drake remark how he died offscreen or something

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Manatee Cannon posted:

that happened in uncharted 3 but it isn't why he's not around here

anyway I don't see why you need to kill someone off just because they aren't relevant anymore. that'd be like having the picture with tenzin at the beginning of this game have drake remark how he died offscreen or something
I more meant that it would have been a better dramatic story beat to solidify the villainry of the villain lady in Uncharted 3. But I think I remember a long and arduous debate in that thread about it so I guess let's not hash it out too much.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Sam's all about looking at the graphics in this level. In the words of Tony Yayo...

Episode 15: Tight Graphics.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
With the amount of detail the game has demonstrated so far, i am somehow sorely disappointed that we don't see any inertia drag on Sam when Drake steers the boat around.

It seems like the kind of thing this game would do.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I bet they considered it, except it might make maneuvering in those tighter areas unfun, so it got axed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

As much as I want to call this part really pretty, there are a couple of things which... just rub me the wrong way:

1) Drake doesn't drip water everywhere getting out of the ocean onto the boat.

2) After running on wet sand onto dry sand, the soles of his shoes don't pick up the dry stuff.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I know it's too late at this point since this is the last game, but I kinda want a joke ending where the treasure is hidden in the most easy-to-find place and Nate's loot vacation just finishes early.

Samovar posted:

As much as I want to call this part really pretty, there are a couple of things which... just rub me the wrong way:

2) After running on wet sand onto dry sand, the soles of his shoes don't pick up the dry stuff.

3) How dive-happy Nate is, especially near shallows.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a weird game really.

They've put so much attention into so many little things about it that show they do give a gently caress about nailing tiny details, a whole lot of them, but there are so many that make zero sense. Like the Russian Federation map in the intro (or whenever Kid Nate orphanage was) despite the fact it wouldn't exist at that point, or the 200 year old notes of paper that aren't at all badly aged or damaged. A cave or a bag isn't going to protect your rickety rear end old paper for 200 years on an island in the middle of Madagascar.

The guide wheels C+I have pointed out on the crates a bunch where they really wouldn't be, and the fact that no human life has passed these places and disturbed things in areas that 100% would have had foot travel. There's no way on earth that this archipelago in the latest ep wouldn't have been picked clean by people. It's all well and good saying "secret treasure hunt!" and poo poo, but we have god-drat helicopters and drones. They can't hide this from a birds eye view. Then of course there's the "haha! rubble blocks the way again!" entry point.

Obviously, they want to have things like notes able to be found, but I think they can do a bit more to be inventive about their actual locations, or level design as a whole.

Naughty Dog have talented artists, but I'm very much unsold on the world building. The Last of Us was probably better for this, and the fact they care make the misses, which are quite frequent, sting more than they ought to.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 19, 2016

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The clippings about Avery in Drake's notebook are taken from the chapter on Avery in the book "A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates" by Captain Charles Johnson, which is THE original book from which most of our knowledge on individual pirate captains comes from. If you haven any interest in pirate history at all, it's basically the first book you should pick-up on the subject.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is a weird game really.

Don't apply real world logic. Drake is a 21st Century Indiana Jones. Apply pulp adventure movie logic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That only really excuses a handful of the things though, it's not necessarily something they're trying to push especially hard in this one too. They're giving a more realistic vibe than 1 to 3.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

They're giving a more realistic vibe than 1 to 3.
Really? In what way? You have seen the crazy contraptions that those 17th century pirates build that somehow still work after 300+ years, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mostly a tone thing, really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that the tone of this game is less The Mummy (the Brendan Fraser one) and more Indiana Jones than the previous ones. People often forget that the Indiana Jones movies, while they are relatively lighthearted, also get pretty serious when it matters. Uncharted 2 got kinda close but this one is definitely there too. And while the setting is as unrealistic as ever, from a writing standpoint this game definitely focuses way more on the human element than the others do, which does a lot to ground it in our world even though it almost definitely couldn't take place here.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
3 had a bunch of melodrama about how Drake and Elena separated, 2 had Jeff getting offed by Lazarevic in cold blood and the Tibetan village getting basically massacred, so I dunno what you mean. they've always had ridiculous and serious things combined in the same game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

morallyobjected posted:

3 had a bunch of melodrama about how Drake and Elena separated, 2 had Jeff getting offed by Lazarevic in cold blood and the Tibetan village getting basically massacred, so I dunno what you mean. they've always had ridiculous and serious things combined in the same game

They have, but I think the gap between serious and goofy has gotten much wider because of how realistic it tries to portray the characters and their actions. In this game it feels less like a spectrum of serious to goofy, and more that there are two states of the characters, joking or not joking. The game goes back and forth between the two tones sometimes multiple times in a setpiece and to me it feels a bit jarring. And I know that sounds silly phrased like that, but I mean it, and that's really the best way I could phrase it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Samovar posted:

There are wet footprints when he gets on the boat though, unless I am imagining that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Man, this is such a cool, chill level. Just boating around, trying to solve old pirate puzzles with your bro in an island paradise.

It's gonna suck so hard when mercenaries start blowing it to hell five minutes into the next video.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah. When Nate made his "look its blocked by debris. AGAIN" snark, I immediately thought of how Shoreline would've dealt with the situation. Kaboom

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

player opens journal and flip back a few pages to discover Batman style tracking bug between the pages

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
A Series of Uncharted Events

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When Sam took over driving the boat when I got to that sunken ship his AI really broke and he just started driving off into the ocean.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love the gag of Sam disappearing and then you climbing around and seeing him pushing a really heavy crate to help you climb up.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

player opens journal and flip back a few pages to discover Batman style tracking bug between the pages

Ocelot...you'll pay for that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I love the gag of Sam disappearing and then you climbing around and seeing him pushing a really heavy crate to help you climb up.

Yeah, that was a great bit of visual humour, and I wish the game did more with that. Most of the comedy in the game is snappy one liners or bad puns or really low key joking around and sarcasm, basically all the comedy is being carried by the dialogue. They could do with more sight gags, or well timed sound effects. Comedy is more than just two guys trying to be the most witty about their current situation.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DialTheDude posted:

I know it's too late at this point since this is the last game, but I kinda want a joke ending where the treasure is hidden in the most easy-to-find place and Nate's loot vacation just finishes early.

3) How dive-happy Nate is, especially near shallows.

I think I made Nate dive onto a pier or something in at least UC3, maybe even in 4 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Last of Us was probably better for this, and the fact they care make the misses, which are quite frequent, sting more than they ought to.

I really hated specific pieces of garbage being super loving valuable crafting materials while they had whole cars just lying everywhere and an office building full of stuff. Oh no, but this bottle and this brick are really useful for some reason.

• Locked thread