Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Id say just put an icon next to the ones that have been converted. Like maybe :goatsecx: or :goatdrugs: or :cumpolice: or :gogtears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Maybe :thx:

ETA: The real issue for me is that I want to provide links to the SE and the Oldrim (wow what a clunky term we're stuck with!) versions during this transitional phase.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Make all the SE links LMGTFY links.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If only there were a site in which 90% of mods resided, and if only such a thing allowed one to search by mod name...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Id say just put an icon next to the ones that have been converted. Like maybe :goatsecx: or :goatdrugs: or :cumpolice: or :gogtears:

Put :awesomelon: next to the modern future 64-bit Skyrim links; and :corsair: next to old 32-bit fossil Skyrim links.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

If only there were a site in which 90% of mods resided, and if only such a thing allowed one to search by mod name...

Honestly, both the Nexus and Workshop's search engines are loving awful, I find it's more efficient just to google what I'm looking for.

And track mod authors so I find out when they post new files.

Gunner: :hirez: :pcgaming: :pcgaming1: :shroom: :soe: (lol) :techno: :valvebeta: All these might be cool for it.

I would go with :soe: for the reasons of: It's only three letters, it's small, eye-catching, and hilarious because it brings to mind the fact that PS4 players are fuuuucked for mods. (:soe: is sony online entertainment, AFAIK.)

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm sure this has been asked 10,000 times but everyones a little different.

Looking for some input on favorite mods for guy who last played vanilla skyrim back in 2011.

If youre playing original Skyrim then Wet and Cold plus Winter is Coming and Cloaks of Skyrim. None of the nonsense of Frostfall and all the sweet face masks and hoods.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ynglaur posted:

asking people to browse/search the Nexus is kinda cruel and I don't know if I can condone such behavior.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Since the OP isn't exactly in favor of one of the four combat mods over another, what do people have experience with? I think I'm going to run a sword and board Paladin style character since I've done the thieves guild and dark brotherhood to death as sneaky rangers. Vigor seems interesting, but it seems almost like too much promise for what I expect Skyrim mods to deliver.

Also is SPERG the go to favorite still, or has PerMa won any hearts?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

Also is SPERG the go to favorite still, or has PerMa won any hearts?

perma sucks my anus
ordinator is the only one that works with SSE
sperg is good but not in SSE

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Is there any good way to see what mods a save used? I uninstalled Skyrim and its mods to make room on my tiny Windows partition for Overwatch, but I'm expanding the size of the partition and want to get into playing Skyrim again, except I can't remember what mods I used and I'm almost certain I used one or two mods that aren't on the Nexus so I can't use the list of mods I dled from there to recreate my save entirely.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Gyre posted:

Is there any good way to see what mods a save used? I uninstalled Skyrim and its mods to make room on my tiny Windows partition for Overwatch, but I'm expanding the size of the partition and want to get into playing Skyrim again, except I can't remember what mods I used and I'm almost certain I used one or two mods that aren't on the Nexus so I can't use the list of mods I dled from there to recreate my save entirely.

When you load a save Skyrim should tell you which esp's are missing from your current setup that the save is expecting, and I'm sure there are save editor tools which will do the same from outside the game.

As to texture packs, animation replacers, and anything else that didn't use an esp or just had a complicated fomod that named the final esp the same thing regardless of what install options you picked... I don't think there's a way to figure those out from a save file.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Agents are GO! posted:

You know, GunnerJ and I spent a great deal of time on the OP, which answers a lot of your questions.

It's a great OP for original skyrim. I was getting lost in wanting to play the new Special edition. The Skyrim STEP wasn't making much sense with SSE.

I spent about 4 hours last night installing Mod Organizer, giving up on that when I couldn't locate my skyrim steam install and then installing Nexus Mod Manager (which the OP says will probably gently caress your poo poo up).

THen proceeded browsing Nexus Mods webtsite because they have a Skyrim Special Edition search filter for mods that have been updated. I pretty much installed that entire list I linked but wondering if I'll have issues because SKSE isn't updated for SSE.

Anyways, at 2 am, and I worked in the morning. I finally loaded up skyrim with the mods installed, started a character then prompty went to bed.

First thing I noticed is that the player models and the armor still looks like 2011 and there's a weird gamma hue. I would like to install ReShade but it looks like it needs SKSE installed based on the installation instructions. Wondering if It will bug out the game on SSE.

is there any armor/character model revamps?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Reshade and ENB both work without skse, and can also run together.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

is there any armor/character model revamps?

aMidianborn read the OP

all retexture mods work with sse

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Nexus Mod Manager (which the OP says will probably gently caress your poo poo up).
It will, but not as badly as playing with loose files. So it's the only game in town at the moment.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwPaI_AYEbQ

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Would texture mods from Oldrim work in the SE without any worry?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwPaI_AYEbQ&t=234s

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Would texture mods from Oldrim work in the SE without any worry?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

all retexture mods work with sse

three posts up, my dude

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

three posts up, my dude

I am so blind. Sorry everyone I completely missed that post.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I thought SE used a new format/compression for their textures and using older textures could cause errors?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yeah, and don't you still have to load and reserve it in the modding tools?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

PureRok posted:

I thought SE used a new format/compression for their textures and using older textures could cause errors?

normals can be messed up with landscape mods, try your best to not use mods if they are, but if you want a temp fix do this:

quote:

*Temporary fix for shiny natural ground textures*

Go to Data/Textures/landscape
Delete all the maps - everything ending in _n

i am tim! posted:

Yeah, and don't you still have to load and reserve it in the modding tools?

for pure texture mods no

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5a834o/psatexture_mods_that_work_with_skyrim_special/

thats a list of confirmed working mods

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I've had the MO beta working fine for a while:

Download MO Beta 3
Install as Standalone into a new folder, don't choose game to manage yet, just cancel out of the program.

Download TESVEVSEVEESVVSEE Plugin from :nexus:
Unzip .dll into <MO Beta 3 Install Folder>\plugin folder

Relaunch MO, Skyrim SSE should now be on the list of games to manage.

Download mods manually, copy zip files into MO's downloads folder, they show up on MO's download list with Red warning signs. Right Click -> Query Info on each download & pick mod id number if asked (always the higher #). Now install like its 2015 all over again!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

It will, but not as badly as playing with loose files. So it's the only game in town at the moment.

Nah the latest Nexus mod manager uses virtual profiles for mod installation, it actually works as well as MO nowadays. Its way the gently caress better than it was back in 2012.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

VideoGames posted:

I am so blind. Sorry everyone I completely missed that post.

It's okay. You're busy keeping the Eve thread from becoming a cross between Lover's Lab and the Jerry Springer show.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

no bones about it posted:

Nah the latest Nexus mod manager uses virtual profiles for mod installation, it actually works as well as MO nowadays. Its way the gently caress better than it was back in 2012.

I think the profiles are virtual, but the file management is not. Thus, if you switch profiles it needs to delete and re-copy lots of data, versus just moving pointers around. I.e. it's much, much slower when changing profiles, and changing mod order.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Can someone smarter than me explain why its hard to make a SKSE for 64 bit Skyrim?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Average Bear posted:

Can someone smarter than me explain why its hard to make a SKSE for 64 bit Skyrim?

How long did it take SKSE to get where it is today for Vanilla?

Consider all of those difficulties possibly involved in that and just assume they still exist.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Every memory value is different. You basically have to re-make the entire SKSE.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Average Bear posted:

The change from 32 bit to 64 bit basically required them to rebuild everything from scratch, plus every time the game gets an update they have to figure out where all the variables and stored in memory all over again before they can get back to building functionality.

Basically alot of work from Oblivion -> F03 -> FNV -> Skyrim could be copied or translated from one game to the next so it only required a few weeks or a month to update the existing script extender to work on the new game, 64bit FO4 & Skyrim SE doesn't let them do that.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Dang, that really sucks. Thanks.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Pretty sure I wrote something like this already, but why not again.

How the script extender works is that as the OS takes the game's executable and loads it into its memory in order to run it, the script extender steps in and shoves its own pieces of code in there. In order for it to do, the script extender needs to know various addresses in the memory. The exact positions where the script extender's code has to be hooked in.
Whenever Bethesda made some changes to their codebase and recompiles the executable, lots of those addresses change. Fortunately a lot stuff will also stay the same. That's why the the script extender team has to release an update after each patch, but can do so fairly quickly.
When you move your codebase from 32-bit to 64-bit however, all those addresses change. So all the reverse engineering they did for OldSkyrim is now worthless and they had to essentially start again from scratch.

On top of that SKSE's own codebase will have to be rewritten from the ground up to accomodate the move to 64-bit. That is one of the main reason why the development of F4SE has been so slow.
So yeah, it's going to take a while. Remember that these are just a couple of guys who are doing this in their free time as a hobby. And they also have work, families and lives in general to keep them occupied. They are working on it, but expect it to take months.

Some good news is that behippo - one the main devs of the script extender - said that once the necessary groundwork in SKSE64 is done, they'll take care of porting SkyUI over. So yay for those guys being the coolest dudes in the Bethesda modding community for practically 10 years now.

e:fb...

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 18, 2016

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Why is the 22nd most downloaded mod for SE the mod that makes kids sexy

Just kidding I know why it is

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Thank you for the previous advice on trying to get my crappy laptop to play Skyrim SE. However, after trying every fix under the sun I can find I've taken the easy option out. I've redownloaded Oldrim, installed a poo poo ton of mods and am now having a blast running around as a Kahjiit spell blade.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
Here's what one of the script extender devs had to say...

quote:

The truth is that this is somewhere in between Skyrim and Fallout 4. Parts of the engine have been updated to match Fallout 4 (graphics engine, 64-bit, etc.) Basically all of their games are the same core engine which gets improved/modified with each release. But where Fallout 4 used ActionScript 3 and an updated Papyrus scripting engine, Skyrim SE uses the old UI and Papyrus engine from Skyrim (to do otherwise would require rewriting all the scripts and the UI.)

In either case there is a lot of work to do for us. Even within a single game there are lots of things to update with each new build. Memory addresses and offsets change, functions can behave differently, classes can get data added or removed, classes and form types can appear or disappear.  Between games you don't even have the basics you can depend upon. With each new game we have to find all of the relevant and important bits and update our internal code to match the new realties.

The jump to the F4 64-bit engine was really big. We haven't really got real script extending working for F4SE yet (in part due to real life concerns). We are expecting there to be a similar big jump for the Special Edition. While in general we have a sense for the large subsystems are which ought to be closer to Skyrim and F4, until we look at the nitty gritty details we simply won't know.

Add to this the fact that Bethesda again released the game in a psuedo-debug mode with a big extra jump table in between all of the functions, and anything we do right this moment will have to be redone as soon as they release a fix. They know about this - but who knows when they will have an update. Next week? Next month?

We'll start investigating, but this is going to take some serious effort and time to get done. There is a ton of functionality in SKSE. We won't get it all implemented at once for the Special Edition. Expect early versions for the Special Edition to have a lot less functionality. And no ETA at all for when we'll have anything to show.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So I haven't been following the special edition new very closely until today, and I'm giving it a shot. My only question so far is how do I make a merged/Bashed/whatever patch through the new NMM? Because I assume that's still necessary.

EDIT: Wait, I think I figured it out. I need SSEEdit, right?

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 18, 2016

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
Yep.
There's a version of wrye bash on Nexus that works for bashed patches if you want that as well/instead. Check the directions on that one though because you have to extract the strings folder for it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I have to admit I have no idea why you even want a bashed patch when manually constructing a merged patch is far superior.