Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So, by endgame, how many trades can you fully upgrade (not including nonessential stuff like the deconstruction bonuses or hirelings) and still have enough skill points to put into all the non-crafting stuff you're likely to use? I know this will vary from character to character, but I just want to have an idea of how much I can realistically expect to do without making an alt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Bruteman posted:

Is this game one of those "don't bother if you're not getting the DLC" things? I see the free weekend is just the base game and not the gold/DLC stuff.

Unless you're planning on powerleveling (Orsinium and Imperial City have the best grind spots in the game), the base game is more than enough without the DLC. I picked up an Imperial Edition key for 20 bux on a 3rd party site, and got Orsinium (well, the bear mount bundle anyways) during this month's Orcstravaganza sale, and I'm already level 30 without having even made it to the second non-starter zone in Morrowind, the one where Mournhold is. I barely even touched Orsinium, too, just two Delves! I just find myself doing a lot of dungeons!

Anyways, it's been almost a week and I still haven't gotten a guild invite :v:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Rollersnake posted:

So, by endgame, how many trades can you fully upgrade (not including nonessential stuff like the deconstruction bonuses or hirelings) and still have enough skill points to put into all the non-crafting stuff you're likely to use? I know this will vary from character to character, but I just want to have an idea of how much I can realistically expect to do without making an alt.

There are 366 skill points in the game as of Dark Brotherhood; it takes ~150 to max all crafting skills and ~475 to max out all the other skill lines (not counting vampire or werewolf). As long as you're not planning on unlocking every activateable and passive skill you can easily get every crafting skill (deconstruction bonuses ARE essential, but you can skip, say, the node-stank visibility ones). If you pay to respec your skill points you retain your skill levels, including crafting levels, so it's not even a big deal if you want to change up your active abilities but all your points are stuffed into blacksmithing and alchemy or whatever. You only really need to roll alts if you want to try new race/class combos.

Bruteman posted:

Is this game one of those "don't bother if you're not getting the DLC" things? I see the free weekend is just the base game and not the gold/DLC stuff.

The base game is great! But in my opinion ESO Plus is worth it for the craft bag alone, not to mention that even if you don't really get into the DLC content until you've gone through the main story, there is some useful side stuff to pick up along the way. the Dark Brotherhood gives you the ability to instantly kill almost any humanoid enemy you sneak up on from behind, the Thieves' Guild lets you open troves around the world for a bit of an income boost, there are good all-level-scaling blue provisioning recipes available in Wrothgar, etc.

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 17, 2016

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On my first Dark Brotherhood quest, the initiation one, I nabbed the bonus objective for killing the dude with the Blade of Woe. The reward for doing that was a weapon box. I got a healing staff. I'm picking up mixed signals here, Nightbros

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Healing is but one of many weapons on the road to death.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Gonna try this in the free weekend. What's a good fun build?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The magplar build listed at the end if the OP. It's good poo poo.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
Ended up buying this after trying the free weekend. It's pretty rad, would appreciate a guild invite @ArtificeFarce. :v:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rollersnake posted:

I think the total number of skill points available is somewhere north of 360. It takes about 120 to max out all of the trades, so you could max out all of the trades and enough racial/class/weapon/guild lines to have a solid build, but maybe lacking flexibility.

I would also argue that the +tempers on decon and +tempers on refinement talents are pretty mandatory for crafters.

e: should have read the rest of the page

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 17, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

NeurosisHead posted:

I think the total number of skill points available is somewhere north of 360. It takes about 120 to max out all of the trades, so you could max out all of the trades and enough racial/class/weapon/guild lines to have a solid build, but maybe lacking flexibility.

I would also argue that the +tempers on decon and +tempers on refinement talents are pretty mandatory for crafters.

e: should have read the rest of the page

Yeah I dumped the node one and the research ones once I got maxed out, although I'm only rolling 3 tradeskills and GF does the other 3, so I have (almost) plenty of points to have a well rounded character.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
How much of a chore is respecing in this game? I'm thinking of coming back to gently caress around in eso for a while, haven't played since like.. January? I have a level 20-25 2h stam sorc because back then it was a cool goon hipster build, but apparently DW+Bow is better now (and I'm all for it).

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Super easy and cheap. Just in game gold, about 6000 I think? The capital cities have shrines to do it at.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Respeccing is 100g/skill point. It can add up if you do it a ton, but generally isn't a big deal. It does just set you back to zero and you have to redistribute all your points, which is kind of a drag. Don't misclick!

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Trogdos! posted:

How much of a chore is respecing in this game? I'm thinking of coming back to gently caress around in eso for a while, haven't played since like.. January? I have a level 20-25 2h stam sorc because back then it was a cool goon hipster build, but apparently DW+Bow is better now (and I'm all for it).

Unless you have a bro you can port to in your faction's capital the first time it's a bit of a slog, certainly the EP maps throw lots of roadblocks at you, but after that it's a breeze.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I have been interested in this game and plan on trying it during this free weekend. I am a little confused about the subscription and gold edition.

The game is on sale for $10 or gold edition for $30 which includes DLC. but i dont see the DLC prices separately... It sounds like I don't need to subscribe monthly unless I want the leveling bonuses or whatever. but how much is DLC if I only get the $10 version?

In summary, what is the least I can get away with paying to get access to the most content if I end up liking the game?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I have been interested in this game and plan on trying it during this free weekend. I am a little confused about the subscription and gold edition.

The game is on sale for $10 or gold edition for $30 which includes DLC. but i dont see the DLC prices separately... It sounds like I don't need to subscribe monthly unless I want the leveling bonuses or whatever. but how much is DLC if I only get the $10 version?

In summary, what is the least I can get away with paying to get access to the most content if I end up liking the game?

DLCs are like 2000-4000crowns depending on sales/which DLC. I would pay the 10bux, if you like the game and would not mind monthly charges and feel like you'll be playing a while, subscribe. Subscribing to the service gives you all DLC and some other perks (crafting bag is HUGE if you're going ot craft, seriously, I subbed literally just for this)

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Aramek posted:

The magplar build listed at the end if the OP. It's good poo poo.

Does it really matter what race i pick? I wanna run with goon PvP'ers. so i gotta pick the EB Argonian.
Is picking the EB Argonian gonna suck?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

No, Argonians rule. They're the best race in TES games.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

MF_James posted:

DLCs are like 2000-4000crowns depending on sales/which DLC. I would pay the 10bux, if you like the game and would not mind monthly charges and feel like you'll be playing a while, subscribe. Subscribing to the service gives you all DLC and some other perks (crafting bag is HUGE if you're going ot craft, seriously, I subbed literally just for this)

Thanks. I really dont want to pay a sub fee unless the game really blows my mind, so if I like it I might end up paying the $30 and saying gently caress crafting.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Respeccing is 100g/skill point. It can add up if you do it a ton, but generally isn't a big deal. It does just set you back to zero and you have to redistribute all your points, which is kind of a drag. Don't misclick!

Wrong, Re-specs are 50g per USED/SPENT Skill Point.

Blast of Confetti posted:

On my first Dark Brotherhood quest, the initiation one, I nabbed the bonus objective for killing the dude with the Blade of Woe. The reward for doing that was a weapon box. I got a healing staff. I'm picking up mixed signals here, Nightbros

Welcome to the Zenimax RNG shitfest.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Thanks. I really dont want to pay a sub fee unless the game really blows my mind, so if I like it I might end up paying the $30 and saying gently caress crafting.

I did the same thing and subbed within the first week. The crafting bag is worth it alone. Grab a 60 day game card from g2a.com for $25 and the explorers pack (access to all class/race combinations) for under $1. g2a is super sketchy and undermines the profit of the game, but you know, I want to save money.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

It's only super sketchy if you care about giving money to the Russian mafia.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Speaking of DLCs, if you want the megapack that 5500 crowns is 40% off.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What level of gear are you ready for vet/hard mode at? I've been doing this nightblade tank build and have it pretty much all together except I'm an Argonian and I'm missing the helmet. Also, CP is at 272.

Aramek posted:

Super easy and cheap. Just in game gold, about 6000 I think? The capital cities have shrines to do it at.

When you respec do you have to re-level individual active skills, or does it remember that you've leveled them up even if you don't have any points in them?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

What level of gear are you ready for vet/hard mode at? I've been doing this nightblade tank build and have it pretty much all together except I'm an Argonian and I'm missing the helmet. Also, CP is at 272.

When you respec do you have to re-level individual active skills, or does it remember that you've leveled them up even if you don't have any points in them?

If you've leveled up skills they stay leveled, just inactive unless you put points into them. So if I have level4 wrecking blow and respect, if i put points into it, then morph it to WB again, it will be level 4 still.

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Max level gear is CP160 but more CP gives you more stats. You'll be fine to run vet content with goons but I don't pug so ymmv for LFG

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Honestly, as much as I truly enjoy this game, I don't see myself ever subscribing. Fast travel via the wayshrines is so convenient that I don't feel like I need a mount for anything other than expanding my inventory, and deciding that I'm no longer going to bother with one craft (alchemy) has freed up so much space that I haven't maxed out my inventory since. Obviously that will present more of a challenge as I require higher level materials, but having to deal with a bit more inventory management is worth it to me if it means not having to pay a monthly fee.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So uh I was playing the free trial and then got the gold edition and now I have to redownload. Is there a way around this?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My buddies and I are thinking about taking this up after the free trial is over. Does it play well with 3+ players? I usually end up out-levelling them and apparently there's level scaling as well - if I'm level 50 are mobs still gonna put up a fight or is everything still going to get one shot?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've been leveling with two friends. I'm a sort of healer and neither of them are tanks so a lot of dungeons aren't surmountable for just us even though I'm literally the greatest player in history

That said we're all around the same level and even then we run into issues of sharing gear between us being 1 or 2 levels to high to use. If I had to guess I would say that running them with a character 40 levels above them is probably not going to work out, likely by design. I may be wrong

One thing I can say with confidence tho - omg the crafting bag, omg

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
How's the goon guild in this game?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
You can hook up with anybody of any level at any time and it'll scale just fine to all of you and the goon guild is pretty great.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

The Moon Monster posted:

What level of gear are you ready for vet/hard mode at?

Vet/hms vary wildly in difficulty. As a general rule, you'll be perfectly fine in any of the non-dlc I-versions.

Rollersnake posted:

Fast travel via the wayshrines is so convenient that I don't feel like I need a mount for anything other than expanding my inventory, and deciding that I'm no longer going to bother with one craft (alchemy) has freed up so much space that I haven't maxed out my inventory since.

You can buy mounts with gold from the stable, if you didnt know. Also, if you complete the tutorial in Cyrodil (the pvp area), you get access to The Best Skill In The Game, for even faster movement.

acumen posted:

My buddies and I are thinking about taking this up after the free trial is over. Does it play well with 3+ players? I usually end up out-levelling them and apparently there's level scaling as well - if I'm level 50 are mobs still gonna put up a fight or is everything still going to get one shot?

With 3 people playing you should be killing regular mobs instantly anyway, but yeah it scales separately to each player. World bosses and such can provide a challenge though, if you're new/lazy.

valuum fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 18, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

valuum posted:

Vet/hms vary wildly in difficulty. As a general rule, you'll be perfectly fine in any of the non-dlc I-versions.

Guess that makes sense considering what a massive step up White Gold Tower and Insane Clown Prison were compared to the other normal dungeons.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

DLC dungeons will always be harder than non-DLC poo poo.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm relatively new to the game, coming back - I bought the 4 DLC pack using crowns, are there any that I should do earlier / later? I was guessing that the Thieves Guild would be good early to open troves - and I guess that movement skill means I should check out Cyrodil.

Any other things to make sure I do early?

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
TG passives are *awesome* for DB questing, so you're on the right track.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

valuum posted:

TG passives are *awesome* for DB questing, so you're on the right track.

No negatives to doing any of the DLC early though, right? No quest rewards that should wait until max level, that sort of thing? I'm not sure how these new mechanics work together for One Tamriel nonsense.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Would love a guild invite. @nonpromqueen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Devor posted:

No negatives to doing any of the DLC early though, right? No quest rewards that should wait until max level, that sort of thing? I'm not sure how these new mechanics work together for One Tamriel nonsense.

If you want a max level TG or DB set it would be a little easier to get if you waited until 160 before doing those quest lines. I don''t think you would though, they're not great, and they're obtainable through repeatable means too.