Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's a ZX2, so thankfully not one of those. I'll do it this weekend, then.

Do I need to use distilled water, or is hose water fine? I guess this time of the year it would probably be jug water.

I've heard people talk about running water through until it's clear. How would you do that without contaminating the groundwater?

Distilled is always preferable, since minerals in tap water can accumulate in your system. And always catch and bottle the fluid that comes out, it will salt the earth it touches, is super toxic to animals, and is full of heavy metals. Most cities have free recycling programs if your local autoparts store won't take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not deionized/RO though, as that'll pull ions from the metal in the system, and accelerate corrosion, from what I've read.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Not deionized/RO though, as that'll pull ions from the metal in the system, and accelerate corrosion, from what I've read.

There's no functional difference between DI/RO and distilled unless you're a chemist and require ultra-pure water.

Unless you have exceptionally hard tap water, there's no actual advantage to using deionized/distilled water. Metal parts will indeed corrode slightly in contact with the water to reach an equilibrium ion concentration, but it's probably not significant. It's why coolants have buffers and anti-corrosion additives.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
2001 Lexus ES300, got a code P1354 (VVT system fault), all signs seem to point to faulty oil control valves, or perhaps a VVTi controller. Car seems to drive more or less normal, is it safe to drive for a few days until I can resolve the problem?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Deteriorata posted:

There's no functional difference between DI/RO and distilled unless you're a chemist and require ultra-pure water.

Unless you have exceptionally hard tap water, there's no actual advantage to using deionized/distilled water. Metal parts will indeed corrode slightly in contact with the water to reach an equilibrium ion concentration, but it's probably not significant. It's why coolants have buffers and anti-corrosion additives.

Huh, I suppose that makes sense, just everything I have ever seen has said distilled only. I'll still do distilled for flushes, but I won't cry if I need to bring out the hose for whatever reason.

By "exceptionally hard water" do you mean well water or water that is above the EPA's limit of metals?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Distilled is always preferable, since minerals in tap water can accumulate in your system. And always catch and bottle the fluid that comes out, it will salt the earth it touches, is super toxic to animals, and is full of heavy metals. Most cities have free recycling programs if your local autoparts store won't take it

How much water does it normally take after you drain for it to go clear? I've got a 5 qt sealing drain pan I can use, but googling it looks like it has 7.5 quarts, so I'll need to get something bigger. My landfill does have a recycling program, so I can just go down there. My concern is that it might take another couple gallons for the water to go through completely clear, and that would take a lot more containers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Do it a gallon at a time. Pour your collection container into the empty. I flushed the block on my Jeep because there was a bunch of sand in it that ruined my heater core and radiator (the new ones were installed but not connected yet) with about 5 gallons because I really wanted to make sure I got as much out as possible. It was completely clear after 2 gallons of water.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Yeah, it only takes like 2-3 flushes, max 4 to come clean unless the car is rotting out or something.

Oh wait, the distilled water thing comes from cast iron blocks, doesn't it?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Kibbles n Shits posted:

2001 Lexus ES300, got a code P1354 (VVT system fault), all signs seem to point to faulty oil control valves, or perhaps a VVTi controller. Car seems to drive more or less normal, is it safe to drive for a few days until I can resolve the problem?

As long as it doesn't sound like a rock in a tin can your fine. It is the vvt solenoid . and if your lucky it's the easy one. If not it's the one which requires multiple extensions and flex sockets.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kibbles n Shits posted:

You're fine driving it so long as there's no unusual noises, it'll just be down a bit on power if you stomp it. Check the oil immediately though, if it's really low (I'm talking "barely on the dipstick" or "nothing on the dipstick" low), that could trigger it (and also cause engine damage). That engine has a pretty decent oil capacity (5 quarts), but that engine also leaks oil from every gasket pretty much from new. If oil changes haven't been kept up with, sludge could also cause it.

So long as it's been maintained, it's likely a solenoid.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 18, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Thhe reason to use distilled water is to keep calcium/lime deposits (hard water) from building up in the system. I would flush into containers till it comes out mostly clear, then onto the ground till it is completely clear. Then drain fully (may need to disconnect more hoses and/or remove drain plugs and tip the car around with a jack to get it all out) and fill it back up.

E: on the pt cruiser, no the leaking oil is probably not a warped head or bad head gasket unless it is also leaking or consuming coolant. I dunno why you would think that as a parts store guy... also if you put r134a in it, please make sure it is NOT the can with leakstop in it, and if it is one of those parts store refill kits, you may not be doing the buyer any favors because the gauge is pretty bullshit on those.

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 18, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kastein posted:

Thhe reason to use distilled water is to keep calcium/lime deposits (hard water) from building up in the system. I would flush into containers till it comes out mostly clear, then onto the ground till it is completely clear. Then drain fully (may need to disconnect more hoses and/or remove drain plugs and tip the car around with a jack to get it all out) and fill it back up.

E: on the pt cruiser, no the leaking oil is probably not a warped head or bad head gasket unless it is also leaking or consuming coolant. I dunno why you would think that as a parts store guy... also if you put r134a in it, please make sure it is NOT the can with leakstop in it, and if it is one of those parts store refill kits, you may not be doing the buyer any favors because the gauge is pretty bullshit on those.

That's correct. My point was that unless your tap water is exceptionally hard, the total amount of lime introduced in ~4 quarts of water is minuscule. The vast majority of the metal ions that form the carbonate scale in cooling systems comes from the slow corrosion of the internal metal parts themselves. Using distilled water doesn't hurt, but it doesn't really help any, either, in most cases.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You're fine driving it so long as there's no unusual noises, it'll just be down a bit on power if you stomp it. Check the oil immediately though, if it's really low (I'm talking "barely on the dipstick" or "nothing on the dipstick" low), that could trigger it (and also cause engine damage). That engine has a pretty decent oil capacity (5 quarts), but that engine also leaks oil from every gasket pretty much from new. If oil changes haven't been kept up with, sludge could also cause it.

So long as it's been maintained, it's likely a solenoid.

Oh yea It's had every single oil change in its 15 years, (and currently full of oil) and every oil seal on the engine is new except for the rear main. Got new solenoids on the way, thanks!

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 18, 2016

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I'm having an issue with my remote starter. Namely, it won't start the car.

It's a Pursuit Series Model PRO-9276N.

It's not the batteries, as the door lock buttons still work. It also stopped working on both sets of keys at the same time, so it has to be at the car. I've read up as much as I can, and some culprits seem to be the valet button being depressed somehow, but I can't find anything like that in my car.

One caveat: I have a two year old that loves to press the buttons on keys when she gets them. Is it possible she hit the perfect sequence of keys to set the valet, and I can't un-gently caress it?

The car if it matters: 2010 Toyota Rav4.

Anyone have any idea about this? Is there a better thread to post this? I really don't want to bring it to the local stereo experts. $120/hr no matter how small the job.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Does the starter come with some kind of warranty, or the installation job? Where did you purchase and who installed it? Call the support phone number for the remote manufacturer?

Sounds hard to diagnose over the internet.

If it's truly a half hour job then it's $60, right? Not too bad if none of the above options work.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 18, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, I finally figured out what was making that awful rattling noise at idle. Cleaning the intake, checking for vacuum leaks, and resetting the fuel map lowered my idle RPMs by 350, so that's always good, but I couldn't get the cold start rattle to go away.

Turns out, my loving hood latch was a little loose and the adjustment knobs were too high, so the hood was just rattling because it wasn't actually closing all of the way...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I have a Diesel engine and a bottle of anti geling stuff spilled all over my trunk. What's the best way to get the smell out?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Today I had condensation on the inside of my windshield. Even with defrost on, it didn't go away. I tried warm air like usual, then cold air. Recycled air, external air, A/C, it wouldn't go away. Has anyone heard of anything like that? I'm wondering if it has to do with my wife vaping her e-cig in there. Residue or something.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Today I had condensation on the inside of my windshield. Even with defrost on, it didn't go away. I tried warm air like usual, then cold air. Recycled air, external air, A/C, it wouldn't go away. Has anyone heard of anything like that? I'm wondering if it has to do with my wife vaping her e-cig in there. Residue or something.

Yes, I vape in my car with my windows closed most mornings before work and I have to routinely clean off the film that forms all over my windshield.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If it's not the propylene glycol from vaping, it's the ethylene glycol from your cooling system escaping from your heater core! So hopefully it's the former, because replacing a heater core sucks.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I switched to VG fluid because the PG was leaving a gross film on my windshield. The VG takes weeks longer to build up on the glass, so I have to clean it less

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I sidestep the whole issue by not vaping. :shobon:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I sidestep the whole issue by not vaping. :shobon:

Oh, sorry, Mister "I Can Afford Cigarettes" Some people hate the smell of cigarettes. As an added bonus, VG makes it harder to blow sickk clouds bro!
Sucks that it's not as sweet as PG, but that can be a benefit for some. My girlfriend preferred the smell of real cigarettes to the sickly sweetness of my old PG fluid

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of condensation: I recently (as it's getting colder) noticed the windows fogging up, then I noticed that the passenger side floors were soaking wet. As the sides and roof lining are bone dry, the prime suspect is a clogged A/C drain and that it's been going on for quite a while.
The next suspect is that water somehow is getting in from under the car, but assuming that there aren't any rust holes etc, is that even possible? Most of the bottom of the car is covered in plastic undertrays, but I kind of recently broke a couple of screwets, and it's not as "tight" as before.

I haven't had the time to get under the car and have a look. Been doing my best to try to dry it out so far.

Edit: Just poured some water into the AC drain tube. No real problem there. Back to square one.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 19, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm paranoid after my timing chain failure at 50,000mi (I'm at 60 now)but I swear I'm hearing some clickity-clackity from the right side of my 3.5l ecoboost F150 engine. It seems to occur when I've got the pedal about 1/3 way depressed and held and seems to possibly be related to boost (when cold). Also, it seems to hesitate and studder when I do this.

Any idea what might be the culprit?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
See if your f150 has a tab for transmission separator plate with dealer

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of condensation: I recently (as it's getting colder) noticed the windows fogging up, then I noticed that the passenger side floors were soaking wet. As the sides and roof lining are bone dry, the prime suspect is a clogged A/C drain and that it's been going on for quite a while.
The next suspect is that water somehow is getting in from under the car, but assuming that there aren't any rust holes etc, is that even possible? Most of the bottom of the car is covered in plastic undertrays, but I kind of recently broke a couple of screwets, and it's not as "tight" as before.

I haven't had the time to get under the car and have a look. Been doing my best to try to dry it out so far.

Edit: Just poured some water into the AC drain tube. No real problem there. Back to square one.

Heater core? For your sake I hope not. "Soaking wet" suggest it's not just condensation.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Godholio posted:

Heater core? For your sake I hope not. "Soaking wet" suggest it's not just condensation.

I certainly hope not. I think the "soaking wet" part is due to me not noticing the water for ages, allowing it to build up.
The water is odorless, the heater works very well, and the AC seems to work (hard to tell since it's around freezing here). Googling tells me that those things speak against a heater core failure.
I'm 99% sure I haven't lost any coolant.

I also haven't really seen any increase in water. I put some old towels in to soak up the free water under the carpets (there is a small hole to view vin numbers) and they soaked up all the free water. Problem now is that the sound deadening under the carpets have soaked up a ton of water, and it's hard to get out.
Maybe put some socks full of silica cat litter in under the carpets to help dry it out?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's worth a shot. If it starts to mildew, just cut your losses and replace the entire section.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pull the carpets and hang them in your unfinished basement or garage, or over a porch railing if you lack those. They will drip and air dry pretty well.

Then sop up the water and fix the issue that you have, which given the symptoms is almost certainly water leaking through the firewall where there is supposed to be a gasket (usually between the hvac duct boxes and firewall) or the condensate drain tube coming off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MrOnBicycle posted:

FWIW, 90-93 Integras had a huge issue where you'd get a waterfall pouring out from under the dash anytime you went through a car wash. Or when it rained. Or if it thought about raining.

It was a really lovely gasket design on the fresh air inlet under the cowl. In the case of that generation Integra... the ECU was directly under where the water would pour onto the carpet (ask how I learned this). :v: Maybe google if your particular car model has a similar issue?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

FWIW, 90-93 Integras had a huge issue where you'd get a waterfall pouring out from under the dash anytime you went through a car wash. Or when it rained. Or if it thought about raining.

It was a really lovely gasket design on the fresh air inlet under the cowl. In the case of that generation Integra... the ECU was directly under where the water would pour onto the carpet (ask how I learned this). :v: Maybe google if your particular car model has a similar issue?

I've googled it to death, and the same platform vehicles. I'm trying to figure out what's changed since I've washed the car multiple times without trouble during the summer / early fall. There are loads of trees where I park, so it's not impossible that something's gotten clogged up. But I need to take off the wipers to access the scuttle bay, not something I can really do here since I got street parking.
The only other thing I've done is spray some (low viscosity) Dinitrol rust proofing into the rocker panels / beams. Nothing that should in any way clog up potential drain holes or anything.
Have to buy some time right now, might be able to get away and pull out the passenger side interior and dry it out / go leak hunting. :v:

Edit: Went down to the car to put some silicate cat litter in old socks underneath the carpet. Checked the coolant - it was same level as usual. Checked for clogged scuttle drains, but it was clean. At least it hasn't become any wetter despite a decent amount of rain the last week.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 20, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Raluek posted:

If it's not the propylene glycol from vaping, it's the ethylene glycol from your cooling system escaping from your heater core! So hopefully it's the former, because replacing a heater core sucks.

It disappeared by the next day, not sure what that means.

I have been suspecting it has to do with the e-cig, but I never had any proof. Maybe I need to open a window partway rather than just turning it to external air.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The passenger air bag display light cover in my car broke. I can superglue it back together, but it's not going to look great and I'm not sure how it will last. It's a $25 part so I'm not eager to pay for one either.

I'd like to replace it with a simple piece of translucent plastic, since there's a bright orange light underneath it and I kind of like how it looks with the cavity empty. Is that...a thing? Do they sell things like that? When I was in high school I would have just grabbed a piece of acrylic plastic from the shop and machined it to fit, but it's not like I have access to that stuff any longer.

What do other people do when they need to replace these?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You're probably the first person to ever break one.

You can buy acrylic at any home improvement store or online. Not sure you're going to save much money though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It disappeared by the next day, not sure what that means.

I have been suspecting it has to do with the e-cig, but I never had any proof. Maybe I need to open a window partway rather than just turning it to external air.

I have the same issue whenever it's humid. In my case, it's grease :barf: from years of food delivery.

Get some Stoner's Invisible Glass. It's the best glass cleaner you'll ever use, and it's also tint safe. If it'll take (food) grease off of my windows, it'll take your vape poo poo off.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

The passenger air bag display light cover in my car broke. I can superglue it back together, but it's not going to look great and I'm not sure how it will last. It's a $25 part so I'm not eager to pay for one either.

I'd like to replace it with a simple piece of translucent plastic, since there's a bright orange light underneath it and I kind of like how it looks with the cavity empty. Is that...a thing? Do they sell things like that? When I was in high school I would have just grabbed a piece of acrylic plastic from the shop and machined it to fit, but it's not like I have access to that stuff any longer.

What do other people do when they need to replace these?

Depending on how picky your area is with safety inspections, a clear piece may be cause for failure. It'll also raise some eyebrows whenever you go to sell the car.

Go to a junkyard, preferably the self-service variety.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I'm a dumb dumb who can't change a car battery. When I tried to knock off the clamp that was stuck to the battery post, I must've ripped a wire off somewhere. With the new battery, Everything electronic in the car works, but the odometer reads as dashes and the car won't even crank. Googling sez that this cable probably needs to be grounded somewhere, but when I try to ground it, none of the electronics work. Now, I haven't checked the fuses, but I might've blown one doing all this. I stripped it and tried several spots I thought might be good grounds. I realize this might be pretty dumb.

Basically, can anyone tell me where this dinky wire should go? The end was corroded off, which means it probably had a ground connector bracket but I can't see it anywhere And I can't read a wiring diagram for poo poo. This is a 2005 focus 4door zx3. I'd really hate to take it in when I'm pretty positive this wire just has to go somewhere simple.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
An update on my suspected clogged turbo TDI - we got some oven cleaner into the turbo, and blew some black crud out of the exhaust pipe.

Getting this bugger off was not easy. The bolts were stubborn as heck.

Lemon scented even. This was a strange task. Luckily, the nozzle end and the aquarium tubing were a tight fit! No tape required!

After we drove the car to blow all the oven cleaner out, we sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake, which blew some more crud out the exhaust.
The car has a bit more power now, but it's not normal yet. We will do this again next weekend and see if it helps, otherwise, it's going into the shop.
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice / posted videos / etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

meanolmrcloud posted:

I'm a dumb dumb who can't change a car battery. When I tried to knock off the clamp that was stuck to the battery post, I must've ripped a wire off somewhere. With the new battery, Everything electronic in the car works, but the odometer reads as dashes and the car won't even crank. Googling sez that this cable probably needs to be grounded somewhere, but when I try to ground it, none of the electronics work. Now, I haven't checked the fuses, but I might've blown one doing all this. I stripped it and tried several spots I thought might be good grounds. I realize this might be pretty dumb.

Basically, can anyone tell me where this dinky wire should go? The end was corroded off, which means it probably had a ground connector bracket but I can't see it anywhere And I can't read a wiring diagram for poo poo. This is a 2005 focus 4door zx3. I'd really hate to take it in when I'm pretty positive this wire just has to go somewhere simple.

It's not a long piece of wire...somewhere within reach is the big plastic connector that's supposed to be part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meanolmrcloud posted:

What you're actually holding is a protective sheath, and it looks like that orange and black wire goes into it. From what I dug up, that wire should be grounded to the battery's negative post.

For testing, you can just remove the negative battery clamp, jam the wire between the negative battery post and clamp, and reattach. You may even be able to loosen that nut where a smaller wire attaches and attach it there. It appears to be the ground for several electronics.

If that gets it going, for a more permanent fix, crimp a ring terminal on it and put it under that nut.

Also, that sheath is known as "split loom". You may want to feel inside and see if there's any other wires inside of there. Anything in there should probably be grounded (but I don't have a schematic in front of me).

Finally... you didn't hook the battery up backwards at some point, did you? Or hook up jumper cables backwards while trying to get it to start with the dead battery? Because if so... you're not in for a fun time. :ohdear:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 21, 2016