Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Why not showing the kiss was probably the director's choice
The first of what's bound to be a lot of people trying to figure out the FS points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

The skating stories seemed to emulate other amines. Guang Long's looked very Cowboy Bebop, while Georgi's was super JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (his costume in ep6 screamed JoJo) with its colours and angles.

My boyfriend and I binged the first 4 episodes together when that was all there was, and now we watch it every week and love every moment. I have to deal with the fact that he now says that Phichit is his other boyfriend.

I've booked us tickets to go ice skating together in December. :allears:

sakugablog actually posts translated interviews with the show's costume designer, if you're interested in their inspirations or directions they were given by the director. you can find them here

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

dogsicle posted:

sakugablog actually posts translated interviews with the show's costume designer, if you're interested in their inspirations or directions they were given by the director. you can find them here

That was amazing, thank you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

dogsicle posted:

I actually meant the animation style itself, but thanks! That's equally fascinating :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, haven't finished watching episode 7 yet but I wanted to comment -

I love the director's work here. Juxtaposing Georgi's misguided "I love you I'll save you I'm the only one who CAN save you" when she's clearly not in love with him at all anymore with Viktor making a massive mistake and hurting Yuri terribly - well, Viktor can't save Yuri, not alone. It can't be that Sleeping Beauty situation - it has to be mutual. Yuri's gotta skate as himself, or else it would be Viktor out on the ice.

And now...I settle in to see how this all resolves.

e: I cannot believe how good this series is. It feels mature in a way I'm not used to from anime, and I love it. (In a sense I'd compare it to Subete Ga F Ni Naru given how it feels like it was written by an adult for adults.)

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 19, 2016

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"
Yeah, this episode in particular was astoundingly well-directed. As much as I understand why the kiss overshadowed all other discussion (well, besides "Georgi: How Problematic Is He?"), the rest of the episode is really, really good. In particular, the cinematography of Georgi's fairy tale was stunning, and what you brought up about Georgi's performance juxtaposed with Victor and Yuuri's situation (especially the use of diegetic music as they came back from the parking garage) was also remarkably well-done.

There's so much to this episode, it's hard to believe it all fit into 24 minutes.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

This weekend was the Cup of China. Patrick Chan will be going to the GPF. If anyone cares about ice dance, the ShibSibs will be going as well. :woop:

The NHK Trophy (final event before the GPF) will be next weekend. If Yuzuru Hanyu or Jason Brown get on the podium, they'll be going to the GPF; if Alexei Bychenko can do silver or better, he'll be going.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/swknusnpnk/status/800369240528146434

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i for one, hope that georgi can explore his feelings and become a stronger person from his experiences, so that he can move on to new loves in his life

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i hope he still dresses ridiculously and is amusing to watch

RME
Feb 20, 2012

thats not necessarily mutually exclusive

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Giant post explaining all the mistranslations in episode 1-6 <- Even if you don't normally click on the links I post, click this one. It's worth it. Check out the whole blog, there are a lot of relevant posts tagged with "catsudon on ice."

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Maera Sior posted:

Giant post explaining all the mistranslations in episode 1-6 <- Even if you don't normally click on the links I post, click this one. It's worth it. Check out the whole blog, there are a lot of relevant posts tagged with "catsudon on ice."

That was a long but fascinating read, thanks. I'm aiming to have a career in translating, so I'm always interested in this kind of analysis.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Thanks for linking that here! I saw it on Twitter and appreciated it.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Maera Sior posted:

Wow, there are a lot of subtle things that are lost in translation.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the reality of aggressively pushing out subs for simulcast timings

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Does anyone know how likely we are to see better subs on the dvds? I've never watched a simulcast before.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Maera Sior posted:

Does anyone know how likely we are to see better subs on the dvds? I've never watched a simulcast before.

Definitely wondering that myself. If there were adjustments made to the translation to make it more accurate, or at least tonally consistent, that'd go a long ways towards encouraging me to buy them rather than make due with Japanese BD rips.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

different subs sure. better maybe? Depends on who puts them out

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

different subs sure. better maybe? Depends on who puts them out

i hope its by that Davinci guy. he's always on point with the translations. beautiful typography too

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

due to the funimation-crunchyroll partnership, i'd expect funi to release the discs. no idea if they'll be doing a particularly thorough second pass though, and i definitely wouldn't expect it to suddenly be bursting with the nuanced stuff you're seeing in that tumblr post.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

dogsicle posted:

due to the funimation-crunchyroll partnership, i'd expect funi to release the discs. no idea if they'll be doing a particularly thorough second pass though, and i definitely wouldn't expect it to suddenly be bursting with the nuanced stuff you're seeing in that tumblr post.

On the other hand, they've already corrected "girlfriend" to "lover" for certain lines in the dub.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yah, I'd actually noticed that because I've had the dub play while I'm working and heard some bigger changes, like that one. That gives me some hope for the subs eventually.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

On the other hand, they've already corrected "girlfriend" to "lover" for certain lines in the dub.

no idea whether to attribute that to accuracy or better matching lip flaps, but it's cool to hear.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Maera Sior posted:

That took a while to read but it was worth it. I speak Japanese and I often enjoy watching with subtitles to see the difference in how I'd translate something into English versus how others would do it. Translations are really hard to do well, but subtitles need to be well done but also concise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/morishima_akiko/status/801103594942402560

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I really hope Victoria files those nails.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
Of course JJ would have a tramp stamp made out of his initials

Miss Nomer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 23, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm glad I was already familiar with how qualifying for the GPF works. That was a lot of info dumped at the beginning.

Noooooooo, Maccachin. I've had standard poodles and it will be devastating if things aren't ok.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Which one is bigger: Mickey's sister complex or JJ's ego?

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"

Slithy Toves posted:

Every boy is best boy.

I take this back. Best boy has arrived. :canada:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blue Nation posted:

Which one is bigger: Mickey's sister complex or JJ's ego?

JJ's ego, no question. He's nuclear.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Goddamn JJ is awful, but I love him.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

IT'S JJ STYLE

i kind of love him, help

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Still rootin' for my boy Phichit to make it into the Grand Prix Final.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love hating JJ

I was also excited to hear Mamoru Miyano ham it up lol.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I was already obligated to support JJ as my country's rep, but goddamn if I don't kinda love him. My Canadian King :canada:
Look, he's still better that Chris, ok???

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't believe i ever thought JJ was cute. kill me now

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

That loving grin. JJ is the worst. I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Ahahahhahaha that was the most masturbatory sequence I've ever seen (jj's program) even tho Chris literally came while skating

Yuri & his grandfather were the cutest part of the episode.

• Locked thread