Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
One of y'all needs to get ya mans.

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799506404080021505

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799508266132836354

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799508761140412416

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799508945035464704

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799509407960825857

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799518313105784833

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799515478494482433

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799512681728380928

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799510249459896320

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799509851843989504

https://twitter.com/RaptorJesuss/status/799528374146396160

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/kanye-west-vote-donald-trump-speech-concert-san-jose-president-2020-a7424316.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Kanye lost his mind when his mom died. You'll never convince me otherwise.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Trump's just going to keep appointing monsters to cabinet positions, and in the end there wont be enough resources to deal with all the poo poo raining down on vulnerable groups.

And since the media has already shifted back to Dubya rules where they informally merge with the right wing rage sphere for survival, they will excuse all of it. It's going to to full on revolt to stop this. I really do think that Trump and Pence being assassinated is about the only sort of news that could possibly improve any of this since white people won't be inconvenienced enough to care for at least three years.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Morby posted:

Same, honestly.

This is probably why he and Jay don't hang out no more.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Koalas March posted:

Same, honestly.

This is probably why he and Jay don't hang out no more.

Well I mean that and the fact Bey hates to be in the same general vicinity as Kim Kardashian.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can you expand a little on being black and Native American sometime? That seems like a very interesting experience. I have native friends, but the rest of their family is white.

I don't have a lot interesting to say. I never met my dad (who is half black and half blackfoot indian), and my mom had me in college. When the school tried to route me into their lower-achieving preschool based on my racial demographics, she flipped out and told me I can't tell people I'm not 100% white anymore, then got me into a better preschool (where I had experiences similar to a lot of folks ITT where I got bored really quickly and started trouble a lot, so they diagnosed me with asperger's and ADD). I pass, for the most part, as white, so my version of the black and native experience in America is the one where whiteness stole my opportunity to have any connection to my heritage. I understand why my mom did things the way she did (my dad was schizophrenic and a repeat felon), but I know nothing about my heritage and was basically raised "as a white person", so any of my connections to black culture are me actively seeking out connections as an adult. There are like no blackfoots in my state so I have no real way to connect with the tribe (and also my dad isn't on my birth certificate so I can't even prove blood quantum for tribal membership anyway).

So I've mostly stumbled through life mostly being treated as white and enjoying the advantages of that, while simultaneously feeling a sense of guilt and loss over the parts of myself I know nothing about. And occasionally a really dedicated racist notices my less-white features and starts yelling racial slurs. Basically, turboracists and other black people are the only people who ever notice I'm black without me saying anything.

And after typing all that, I realize that my experience is actually somewhat common among the black community at large, in that well-to-do black families or white families that adopt black children frequently try really hard to cut their kids off from their roots so they can assimilate into white culture. My so my black/native american experience is basically a loss of self.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dexo posted:

Well I mean that and the fact Bey hates to be in the same general vicinity as Kim Kardashian.

Haha, I forgot Kim was even a thing. But I don't blame Bey.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Kanye always seems to get way more hate from (mostly) white people than he really deserves. Like, his biggest crime is that he was rude to a white woman once. Taylor Swift basically took that incident and has been milking it for almost a drat decade now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Morby posted:

Kanye always seems to get way more hate from (mostly) white people than he really deserves. Like, his biggest crime is that he was rude to a white woman once. Taylor Swift basically took that incident and has been milking it for almost a drat decade now.

:ssh: Kanye is generally hated more by young black people than young white people. Since like at least 2012....I mean old white people hate all black people and rappity rappers. but Kanye's rep isn't so hot with black people these days.

Go to a Kanye concert and look around at who you see. Who do you think are buying his $500 t-shirts and poo poo.

My dude is telling a loving majority white crowd that Black people complain about race too much. The Same dude who tells majority white crowds it's ok for them to say the N-word in his songs.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dexo posted:

:ssh: Kanye is generally hated more by young black people than young white people. Since like at least 2012....I mean old white people hate all black people and rappity rappers. but Kanye's rep isn't so hot with black people these days.

Go to a Kanye concert and look around at who you see. Who do you think are buying his $500 t-shirts and poo poo.

His rep isn't so hot with me, but I can't deny that he makes good music. Are young black people negatively responding to stuff like his Trump comments or Kim K or what?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I don't have a lot interesting to say. I never met my dad (who is half black and half blackfoot indian), and my mom had me in college. When the school tried to route me into their lower-achieving preschool based on my racial demographics, she flipped out and told me I can't tell people I'm not 100% white anymore, then got me into a better preschool (where I had experiences similar to a lot of folks ITT where I got bored really quickly and started trouble a lot, so they diagnosed me with asperger's and ADD). I pass, for the most part, as white, so my version of the black and native experience in America is the one where whiteness stole my opportunity to have any connection to my heritage. I understand why my mom did things the way she did (my dad was schizophrenic and a repeat felon), but I know nothing about my heritage and was basically raised "as a white person", so any of my connections to black culture are me actively seeking out connections as an adult. There are like no blackfoots in my state so I have no real way to connect with the tribe (and also my dad isn't on my birth certificate so I can't even prove blood quantum for tribal membership anyway).

So I've mostly stumbled through life mostly being treated as white and enjoying the advantages of that, while simultaneously feeling a sense of guilt and loss over the parts of myself I know nothing about. And occasionally a really dedicated racist notices my less-white features and starts yelling racial slurs. Basically, turboracists and other black people are the only people who ever notice I'm black without me saying anything.

And after typing all that, I realize that my experience is actually somewhat common among the black community at large, in that well-to-do black families or white families that adopt black children frequently try really hard to cut their kids off from their roots so they can assimilate into white culture. My so my black/native american experience is basically a loss of self.
This mirror's my friend's experience a lot. Her mother, Indian (I forget the tribe, I want to say Cherokee? They're in Utah) died when she was young, so she was raised by her father's side of the family, mostly racist Mormons, never let her have much contact with them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dexo posted:

My dude is telling a loving majority white crowd that Black people complain about race too much. The Same dude who tells majority white crowds it's ok for them to say the N-word in his songs.

I genuinely believe that Kanye started out doing a Kaufman-esque weirdo act just to bring attention to himself and at some point lost his grip on reality and is just completely taken over by the character. The canonical example to me was when he was meeting some famous director in a hotel bar and he allegedly shouted "look what I can do!", laid down on the floor, and then spent the rest of the conversation moving back and forth between his seat and laying on the floor.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Guys, can't we just stop all the hate? American is divided and we need to be united :(

Something people have unironically be posting at me today

Naomi Shulman posted:

"Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than ‘politics,’” wrote Shulman, whose mother Elizabeth was born in Munich in 1934 and grew up in Nazi Germany. “They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t nice people? Resisters.”
Daily Hampshire Gazette Editorial

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Morby posted:

His rep isn't so hot with me, but I can't deny that he makes good music. Are young black people negatively responding to stuff like his Trump comments or Kim K or what?

I stopped defending Kanye a while ago but at this point, even his music is kind of suffering. I used to think it was because of his mother passing, but he made the excellent Dark Twisted Fantasy album, but since then, his output has been rather lackluster.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

like I said in the Rap thread. Pablo is really really good musically.

Sound wise I love that album as much as I like MBDTF.

Kanye's issue is the same issue that Em started running into(though not quite as bad...yet). There is a bar or punchline that is just so goddamn awful that almost ruins the song.

The only Track on Pablo I hate listening to is Freestyle 4.

But sound wise. ULB, FSMH 1+2, Famous, Feedback, Highlights, Waves, FML, Real Friends, Wolves, 30 Hours, No More Parties, Facts, and Fade

I loving love the production on that album. Which is always Kanye's strength. But whoo boy the writing will just crater off at random parts of all of those songs.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I love Yeezus but Pablo is godawful. Possibly the bleached rear end in a top hat line was enough to negate the whole album for me, that's some Fred Durst poo poo

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Dreylad posted:

gently caress

My dad has met that piece of poo poo. Apparently the fucker came to tour the facility my dad worked at, and once Sessions was alone with a bunch of upper level white employees (my dad being one of them) and Sessions became rather fee with the n-bomb. So yeah, gently caress that guy. I tried to vote against him in 2014 but shitlord ran unopposed.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

on behalf of alabama, I apologize for sessions.

Who am I kidding, it's just me

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dexo posted:

like I said in the Rap thread. Pablo is really really good musically.

Sound wise I love that album as much as I like MBDTF.

Kanye's issue is the same issue that Em started running into(though not quite as bad...yet). There is a bar or punchline that is just so goddamn awful that almost ruins the song.

The only Track on Pablo I hate listening to is Freestyle 4.

But sound wise. ULB, FSMH 1+2, Famous, Feedback, Highlights, Waves, FML, Real Friends, Wolves, 30 Hours, No More Parties, Facts, and Fade

I loving love the production on that album. Which is always Kanye's strength. But whoo boy the writing will just crater off at random parts of all of those songs.

I have never particularly been fond of Kanye's rapping. He is unparalleled as a producer, but to me his flow has always felt a bit stilted and he tends to depend too much on simple rhymes. I think he does well because the music is amazing and he speaks to people in a way other rappers don't, but what do I know, I'm just a luddite who's trapped in the 90s when it comes to taste in hip hop.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The best thing I did last year was get the gently caress out of there. Nashville is like a utopia in comparison, and it still has its issues.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I have loved Kanye since the beginning and I probably always will to some degree, but I've had to stop defending him to other people and that makes me sad. Get your poo poo together, Ye.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I have never particularly been fond of Kanye's rapping. He is unparalleled as a producer, but to me his flow has always felt a bit stilted and he tends to depend too much on simple rhymes. I think he does well because the music is amazing and he speaks to people in a way other rappers don't, but what do I know, I'm just a luddite who's trapped in the 90s when it comes to taste in hip hop.

I don't disagree.

Kanye's skill has always been in producing. He's a B class rapper with S+ class production. Once he lost his ghost writers he fell off haaaaard.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Apologies if this is old news, but there's a Netflix for black people now

http://jezebel.com/the-streaming-service-brown-sugar-is-the-new-netflix-fo-1789137546

Sounds like a fun and decent thing to me, but what do I know. Literally the first/top comment is "but why can't there be a white Netflix :qq: ??" . white people why do you do this smdh

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

http://jezebel.com/the-streaming-service-brown-sugar-is-the-new-netflix-fo-1789137546

Sounds like a fun and decent thing to me, but what do I know. Literally the first/top comment is "but why can't there be a white Netflix :qq: ??" . white people why do you do this smdh

That is the dumbest goddamn comment. I don't entirely see the need for a "black netflix" (as opposed to demanding better curated sections in Netflix, Hulu & Amazon), but sweet Jesus does "white netflix" sound like the most pointlessly racist thing.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This looks awesome, thanks for linking it.

lmao:

white tears posted:

I imagine if some group made a streaming service for just white films it would be OK???? Please educate me on why this is ok...kind of like stereotyping Italians on TV with outrageous accents or over the top characterizations of white t-shirts and gold chains.

Let's see... reverse racism, equating white ethnicities to POCs, a literal "please educate me." I've got the "voted for Trump" free space ready to go so I think I only need one more for a bingo!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Talmonis posted:

That is the dumbest goddamn comment. I don't entirely see the need for a "black netflix" (as opposed to demanding better curated sections in Netflix, Hulu & Amazon), but sweet Jesus does "white netflix" sound like the most pointlessly racist thing.

Like always when people ask for a "white history month" or "White Entertainment Television" the answer is always that we already have it, it's just the default. Netflix is White Netflix.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Like always when people ask for a "white history month" or "White Entertainment Television" the answer is always that we already have it, it's just the default. Netflix is White Netflix.

Didn't these people have the "every day is children's day" discussion on mother's or father's day with their parents at least once? How is this so hard.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Talmonis posted:

The marketing for it really needs to list the things available for watching that aren't available on other services.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
LMFAOOO holy poo poo Talmonis your red text.

Morby posted:

Well, yes and no. I mean he predicted he would get money and become a selfish piece of poo poo in his first 2 albums, so...

Dexo posted:

To be fair, this is pretty much any rap concert that isn't held in the middle of the hood. Most rap album sales comes from the suburbs, white people aged 15-25.

Basically they are entertained by the same thing that they fear us for.

Who What Now posted:

Whichever has shows like Friends and Seinfeld, is the white media streaming option.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Who What Now posted:

Makes me think about when they released that Mascots movie and I watched the trailer. Looked kinda funny but it was literally 100% white people and I'm not interested in supporting that poo poo anymore. Was glad to see reviews were bad afterwards.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dexo posted:

This is obviously anecdotal as all hell, but when I saw a bunch of Pablo concert shirts & stuff from the pop-up shops at Camp Flog Gnaw last weekend, mostly being worn by PoC. My daughter, who absolutely had to have a shirt from the pop-up shop in Portland, wore it for about a few weeks before she decided it was no longer worth wearing. I asked her about it in LA and she replied "yeah, it's played out" (or something to that effect), but I've raised a pair of brand whores who are hyper sensitive to fluctuations in perceived coolness.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

highme posted:

This is obviously anecdotal as all hell, but when I saw a bunch of Pablo concert shirts & stuff from the pop-up shops at Camp Flog Gnaw last weekend, mostly being worn by PoC. My daughter, who absolutely had to have a shirt from the pop-up shop in Portland, wore it for about a few weeks before she decided it was no longer worth wearing. I asked her about it in LA and she replied "yeah, it's played out" (or something to that effect), but I've raised a pair of brand whores who are hyper sensitive to fluctuations in perceived coolness.

Congrats on your rad children :respek:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

negromancer posted:

Whichever has shows like Friends and Seinfeld, is the white media streaming option.

Which streaming option gets to show Black Frasier

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can you expand a little on being black and Native American sometime? That seems like a very interesting experience. I have native friends, but the rest of their family is white.

I don't want to hijack personal experience but the history of Native-African communities is really interesting and often overlooked. Even later on in post-secondary the history of groups like the Seminole got overlooked, which is incredible given how long they resisted the American government, living away from white settlements and slavery.

I forget who said it, but the history of the Americas before the 18th centuries is really the history of Africans and Native Americans given that the majority of people coming to the Americas (many didn't have a choice obviously) were Africans.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Which streaming option gets to show Black Frasier

Well none of them are showing Black Jesus currently.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Zapf Dingbat posted:

From a newly former Bama goon, you aren't alone. Except you are cause I got the gently caress out.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Kanye West can do no wrong after releasing Graduation.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

From that article on Brown Sugar, does this comment track for the black posters in this thread?

quote:

(i have never met a white person who loved blacksploitation movies who wasn’t a bigot)

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Congrats on your rad children :respek:

Thanks, though I'd like it better if our week didn't revolve around Supreme drops on Thursdays.

negromancer posted:

To be fair, this is pretty much any rap concert that isn't held in the middle of the hood. Most rap album sales comes from the suburbs, white people aged 15-25.

Basically they are entertained by the same thing that they fear us for.

Jay's verse on the Hell Yeah remix is a great call out of this.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

highme posted:

From that article on Brown Sugar, does this comment track for the black posters in this thread?
My dad loves all 'sploitation cinema and isn't a bigot. Right?

:ohdear:

highme posted:

Thanks, though I'd like it better if our week didn't revolve around Supreme drops on Thursdays.

What so they can be uncool on Fridays? Use your head man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Giving people passes for putting out good music or being a sick athlete is insanely dumb, much like Kanye West. My dude expended the goodwill he earned for "George Bush doesn't care about black people" years ago.

• Locked thread