Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Elewem posted:

Pulled Abel's Lance, and was disappointed due to it not being a Sleip Tail and the fact that I left kain in the 30's level wise. Then I read what all it did. I still want a Sleip Tail, but this is a pretty good consolation prize. I read someone mentioning an upcoming new skill called Lightning Drive, though I feel like I'm far from being able to get it, something to look forward too though.

The Rydia whip is mediocre long term. That kain spear is one of the best BSB items in the game. You did good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I thought I had no IV USBs at all but then I remembered I had two - except they're both for Golbez and on equipment that doesn't exactly work well on anyone else.

I have about 150 myth and I'm debating pulling...

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Never not pull.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
But don't always never not pull

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Unless it's your favorite character.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Just don't pull for a single relic, pull for a banner.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I wonder if I should run an entrust + Mako might hero to feed kain a soul break bar to enter rear end kicking mode with a +30% Dragoon rm right away but that's a lot of resources to commit to just one dude

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Heyyyy people that have me as a friend. CBukowski or Wikiwikiwa, whatever my name is. What SB do you want me sharing? Right now its Sentinel Grimoire, but I have access to Shout, Divine Guardian, moonlight arrows, Mirage Phoenix, Ark Blast, Assault Reels, Paladin Force, Dragoon's Pride, Valiant Strike, Blade Beam, Saint's Fall, Ultimate Jecht Shot, Fulminating Oblivion, Ruin Impediment, Dreamstage, Doublecast Delay, Pride of Tycoon, Sheepsong, Wishing Star, Fixed Dice, Last Judgement Grimoire, Cerberus Shell, Strahl Strafe, Freezing Barrage, Frog Drop, Neo Almagest, Serpents Gale, Hail of Stones, Apocalypse Shield, and a bunch of other less useful SB's.

What's hot right now? :)

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 18, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Judgment Grimoire

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Beat the bonus battles. Kind of annoying because of Barbariccia. The only dragoon I could field while still keeping my weapon synergy evenly distributed was Gilgamesh. But he still did work! Anyway, it'll be nice to do some old-fashioned daily farming while I'm dealing with Pokémon Sun as well.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's fun using a Finishing Touch RW to send Kain to the moon early

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i wonder where they came up with the idea of the warrior type that kills by jumping on dudes with a spear

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
50 pull got me porom's feathered cap. So now I have a sweet buff for ffiv! But no magic weapons I can put on porom so...

Edit: Got palom and porom mixed up, so now I have myself a white mage for ffiv! :toot:

I just seriously need weapons still.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
for how many actions does burst mode last again?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Snazzy Frocks posted:

5 or 6.

I figured this from Breakdown cycles for my Support BSBs.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i wonder where they came up with the idea of the warrior type that kills by jumping on dudes with a spear

Mario... except with a spear I guess

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It lasts for 15 seconds, which is typically 4 or 5 actions under haste. For MOST bursts, you have to be really on the ball to get 5 in.

However, some burst commands adjust that- like all of Vaan's bursts have a short charge time. Some commands (particularly coming up) grant instant cast. So like the Onion Knight's burst commands are a 4-hit physical attack and a 4-hit magical attack, which grant instant physical/magic attack respectively, so they have 0 charge time after the first use.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Birds of prey divebombing their dinner, I figure. Much like many things dragon-related, it can all be traced back to giant birds.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Does Kain's bsb come back at any point? I really want it, but I'm still saving up for ayame and curillia's bsbs.

Oh yeah, and then there is the bsb draw coming up. I only have 25 mythril now too... poo poo.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
(JPN) Pulled on the Tactics banner, got Delita's BSB (ew), Delita's SSB (more ew), and Ramza's SSB gauntlets (okay, I guess). Shoulda just scrapped that idea and pulled on the first XI banner again. I actually liked Rafa (when you gained control of her). Her spells were rather shite, but I liked the character. Ah well, Agrias's OSB is still pretty rad.

I'm probably gonna drop JPN for awhile, the shininess has worn off and I'm finding it a hassle to balance stamina consumption in it, Global, and Mobius right now.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Ignoring any possible fest appearances, Kain's BSB comes back on Cid Banner 2 along with Rydia OSB (Earth/Water/Holy) and Dark Knight Cecil's BSB. Also features Edge's new instant cast Blink/Guts/Hastega SSB, and Cid's Imperil Lightning SSB.

Decil's BSB is pretty much just (self-inflicted) Dark and some Fire damage so it's not that great. Porom's SSB hat and Yang's Imperil Earth from this event round off the Banner, with Rosa's Proshellga Dress and Yang's Party Blink SB are shared between the two Banners.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 18, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

Does Kain's bsb come back at any point? I really want it, but I'm still saving up for ayame and curillia's bsbs.

Oh yeah, and then there is the bsb draw coming up. I only have 25 mythril now too... poo poo.

Off the top of my head, I believe I picked up my one I have in JP off of one of the Anniversary banners.

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal

CaptainPsyko posted:

The Rydia whip is mediocre long term. That kain spear is one of the best BSB items in the game. You did good.

She's just been with me this whole time, but yeah, this spear is redonk.

Also

If I can beat the difficulty 90 event levels mastered, with 3 65's, and 2 50's, one synergy character, no wall, with only one death, is it likely that I can do the two 99's with a full team of 65's, 2 synergy characters and a wall?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Attestant posted:

Even the "bad" ones.

I'm looking forward to making an 8* Tiny Bee following my lucky BSB pull.

Actually Yuna is my best caster so it wouldn't even be a total disaster. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Heaven Spacey posted:

I'm looking forward to making an 8* Tiny Bee following my lucky BSB pull.

Actually Yuna is my best caster so it wouldn't even be a total disaster. :v:

At 8*, Vincent could do some absurdly long Stop shenanigans with that, too.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Elewem posted:

If I can beat the difficulty 90 event levels mastered, with 3 65's, and 2 50's, one synergy character, no wall, with only one death, is it likely that I can do the two 99's with a full team of 65's, 2 synergy characters and a wall?

Given I rolled with Kain (59) / Rydia (54) / Yang, Edward & Tellah (all of them 50) up until Cagnazzo: Yes, you can, but remember to juggle Holy (A high level Pecil's BSB is a great RW), Water and Shellga for mastering the Scarmiglione/Rubicante Back-to-back.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Sprite141 posted:

It will obviously be in that BSB draw pool, but I also wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns up on the global OSB fest banners, since it'll be much further out from the festival than it was in Japan.

e: Like, the changes will probably more significant than this because they always are but if they just took out The Ogre and Zeus Mace from the BSB relics and added Abel's Lance and Onion Bracers instead, the global banners would be really good pretty much no matter how much they mixed everything else up.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 18, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

slooowly catching up on nightmares. How's Neo Bahamut?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I kinda wish they'd consider a hard reset of dungeons at some point. It feels like while people that started the game at launch have lots of cool toys BSB and OSBs are pound for pound superior to anything old folks have.

I know it probably won't happen but it should imo

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
These +es are honestly really bad relative to the challenge level lately. I'd say this is a great event to try to push as far as you can, if you're new.

Feels like + Rubicante is the hardest one if you're handling the gimmicks properly, and the counter Fira are still something you mostly handle in your own time. I don't think he even does anything notable if he decides to cape stall you for a while, outside of them.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im rather proud of my break stacking right now

right now i can stack 4 magic breakdowns, 3 attack breakdowns and 1 attack break, 3 armor breakdowns and 2 armor breaks, and 2 mental breakdowns and 1 mental break

so far my breakdown stack A team can clear anything with little issue

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

im rather proud of my break stacking right now

right now i can stack 4 magic breakdowns, 3 attack breakdowns and 1 attack break, 3 armor breakdowns and 2 armor breaks, and 2 mental breakdowns and 1 mental break

so far my breakdown stack A team can clear anything with little issue

Could you post the team? I am kinda curious since I have a support heavy team.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Servaetes posted:

I kinda wish they'd consider a hard reset of dungeons at some point. It feels like while people that started the game at launch have lots of cool toys BSB and OSBs are pound for pound superior to anything old folks have.

I know it probably won't happen but it should imo
The power creep is real, but people who started at launch have in general far superior hones and more ability diversity. That's not something to dismiss out of hand.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Vaan w/ Ace Striker (Mug Bloodlust/Wrath) Ark Blast BSB (MAG+DEF bkdn) (DEF bkdn) (ATK+DEF bk)
Fran w/ Mako Might (Magic Breakdown/Mental Breakdown) Mist overload SSB (MAG+ATK+DEF+RES bkdn) (MAG bkdn) (RES bkdn)
Agrias w/ Battleforged (Saints Cross/Lifesiphon) Cleansing Strike SB (MAG+ATK bkdn)
Tyro w/ Dr. Mog (Power Breakdown/Filler) Keeper's Tome SSB (DEF+RES bk) (ATK bkdn)
Healer

With break resist and all breaks applied
MAG is reduced by 64%
ATK is reduced by 57%
DEF is reduced by 59%
RES is reduced by 46%

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 18, 2016

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The power creep is real, but people who started at launch have in general far superior hones and more ability diversity. That's not something to dismiss out of hand.

Synergy too. For the most part - minus the NES FFs (hopefully changing with OK) I can outfit all four of my a team dps with synergy weapons. Helps a lot.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

That said, Barbariccia was a headache because for once I actually had to hold Kain back from jumping on her so I could keep that Holy weakness to let Rydia(Alexander, later replaced by Garnet for Shellga purposes)/Snow(RW & Banish Strike)/Selphie(Diaga)/Tyro(Wall, Full Break, Armor BD) do some actual damage to her. And I had to beat the fight twice because I forgot to revert her form via Jump at least once to master the first time...

Following two peeps with Celes' BSB was a Godsend for the fight, by the way.

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal

AstraSage posted:

Given I rolled with Kain (59) / Rydia (54) / Yang, Edward & Tellah (all of them 50) up until Cagnazzo: Yes, you can, but remember to juggle Holy (A high level Pecil's BSB is a great RW), Water and Shellga for mastering the Scarmiglione/Rubicante Back-to-back.

Awesome, thanks for the tips!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

AweStriker posted:

slooowly catching up on nightmares. How's Neo Bahamut?

You'll need R5 Shiva, Ifrit, and Ramuh for sure. When I did it, I also had R4 Valefor and Maduin, and R2 Bahamut. Neo Bahamut is also one of the Nightmare bosses that existed before they started being rude about ninja magic, so you can r5 a three-star veil and slap it on Tyro for a ton of extra damage. If you're willing to sink orbs into Phantasm it's also a huge help. I took Tyro with R5 Swift Bolt and R4 Phantasm.

It's been so long I don't remember the actual mechanics of the fight. I think he switches elemental polarities and you want to actually hit him with what he resists rather than what he's weak to, because he has little helper nerds that pop him for a ton of damage after the phase where he cycles weaknesses ends if you hit him with what he resists.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

I mean... if you were the worst person in the world, like a real boring piece of work, you could start an account today and spend nothing. Just gather Mythril and get as far in events as you can on little to no Mythril spent. Then, in six months, you go on a spending spree on whatever the new hotness is. Reap the benefits of months of orb gathering and having a ton of Mythril to spend on whatever the new hotness is. You COULD do this... but who ever would? At some point, getting items now is just more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I mean... if you were the worst person in the world, like a real boring piece of work, you could start an account today and spend nothing. Just gather Mythril and get as far in events as you can on little to no Mythril spent. Then, in six months, you go on a spending spree on whatever the new hotness is. Reap the benefits of months of orb gathering and having a ton of Mythril to spend on whatever the new hotness is. You COULD do this... but who ever would? At some point, getting items now is just more fun.

Yeah, going purely relicless won't get you clearing Ultimates or the hardest elite dungeons, and will severely hamper your ability to get the orbs that actually matter, to say nothing of newly-released 4*/5* skills (for free!), accessories, MC2s/growth eggs, record motes, and all the other swag that is backended in events.

I'd honestly say saving up for an eternal tomorrow when you can better your situation today not only makes the game less enjoyable, but actually less playable, too. Starting at this point means you've missed x number of events with some really good freebies, where "x" is a number eternally going up. Yeah, you missed the awful parts - my sympathies to anyone like me who was there for the very beginning, it truly was the darkest age - but you also missed a whole lot of benefits that vets got, plus now you have to climb a pre-existing skill/hone power curve that week 1 players have been riding the tip of from the getgo.

Plus, even the oldest dinosaur of a relic is still useful as a synergy statstick. My Grand Glove will continue seeing use until I get another Tifa relic, I figure, but until then it's good enough to strap on Zell.

• Locked thread