Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nimby posted:

If Ciocie Cioelle is Coca Cola, what is Yabalchoath?

The soft drink of the Old Testament generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

nimby posted:

sounds like a corruption of Yaldaboath

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nimby posted:

Mountain Dew

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

sounds like a corruption of Yaldaboath

oh god, not that rear end in a top hat again

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I feel bad for the editor that had/ will have to turn Cio's fanfiction into a proper book. Each revision must have been/will be a bloodbath.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

theshim posted:

Interesting to see that while Vladok was very male, Yabalchoath is quite female. I guess ebon devils aren't gender-locked.

I've gotten the impression that devil gender works like so:

Pale: Not enough personality for gender, period
Blue: Almost exclusively female
Red: Almost exclusively male
Green: Largely male
Gold: Largely female
Black: Too much personality for gender trends

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Poltergrift posted:

So...

All about that 'pace?

All about that 'pace
That 'pace
No internal skeletal structure

Wait a minute...

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

nimby posted:

Fun trivia: He recycled this name from our D&D campaign. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean anything cute or special, but I did a double-take when I saw the name because I was sure I'd seen it before, and yyyep.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Also jesus christ how did I not get the Coca-Cola thing until just now

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Coc-col?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
Still a great comic.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Coc-col?

The e on the end of the names is pronounced like A.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Wow, no wonder she writes fanfiction. Once upon a time she was living it.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
It was only on the nth review of this awesome page that I noticed she has six fingers on her four hands. This is like some kind of fan art challenge.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Reene posted:

Fun trivia: He recycled this name from our D&D campaign. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean anything cute or special, but I did a double-take when I saw the name because I was sure I'd seen it before, and yyyep.

3 or 4 syllables?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

4, IIRC. But it was a few weeks ago.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Something from early on that didn't become apparent to me until a reread:

On this page White Chain tells Allison to "give no names and accept no contracts." When I first read it I thought Chain was telling Allison not to tell anyone her name, but in actuality she's being told not to give additional names to any demons and thereby establish a contract with them--as she later does with the demon presently known as Princess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I am all about that chiton.

Those aren't chitons. They're just regular robes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, that should have been "chitin."

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I wonder if anyone has ever named a devil by just scat singing for five minutes. Like how many names can you give them? Just make a bunch of noise for long enough. Could they ever get rid of them all?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Schwarzwald posted:

Something from early on that didn't become apparent to me until a reread:

On this page White Chain tells Allison to "give no names and accept no contracts." When I first read it I thought Chain was telling Allison not to tell anyone her name, but in actuality she's being told not to give additional names to any demons and thereby establish a contract with them--as she later does with the demon presently known as Princess.

Part of the reason for that is that a human giving a devil a name usually doesn't last that long, because their flame is weak and the devil's flame burns hot. Allison would never have been able to give so many names without the key giving her the power she needed. That sort of thing is probably a good way to get yourself dissolved into formless chaos.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Part of the reason for that is that a human giving a devil a name usually doesn't last that long, because their flame is weak and the devil's flame burns hot. Allison would never have been able to give so many names without the key giving her the power she needed. That sort of thing is probably a good way to get yourself dissolved into formless chaos.

So I guess only Zoss could have done the aformentioned scat-signing naming method I spoke of. still wonder what would happen. Just how small can you make a devil?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

thechosenone posted:

So I guess only Zoss could have done the aformentioned scat-signing naming method I spoke of. still wonder what would happen. Just how small can you make a devil?

well we've already seen one that fits into a coffee pot, but i imagine a hypothetical Conquering King Crothers could probably do better than that

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Based on the babelfish devils and the engine that runs on devils, I think there's a distinction between big named devils with personality and tiny proto-devils.

They're probably just little scoops of black fire stuck in a mask to make it easier to handle.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

thechosenone posted:

Not sure. The least form of devil, the white ones, are actually rather large; upon advancing to blue devils they actually seem to shrink, given the relative sizes we've seen for, well, every example of either. There's some massive size variability among the blue ones, but even the smallest white devil has been larger than the largest blue.

The thing with them is, pale devils are not exactly gifted mentally and are only suited for simple tasks, despite being very big and strong. So, giving a devil too many names would eventually not make it any smaller presumably, but it'd still be an unfortunate fate for the recipient.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cio and Princess are not typical of blue devils; they're both former Ebon devils who are slumming it. The other blues we've seen are basically clever little rats who barely wear clothes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Not sure. The least form of devil, the white ones, are actually rather large; upon advancing to blue devils they actually seem to shrink, given the relative sizes we've seen for, well, every example of either. There's some massive size variability among the blue ones, but even the smallest white devil has been larger than the largest blue.

The thing with them is, pale devils are not exactly gifted mentally and are only suited for simple tasks, despite being very big and strong. So, giving a devil too many names would eventually not make it any smaller presumably, but it'd still be an unfortunate fate for the recipient.

I sort of get the impression that the names are what define them from the total chaos they are originally, giving them form and personality and power but also limitations on what they can do with all that. Hence why they all want to shed names but only the correct way - do it right and most of what they wind up losing is their chains, let their name age too much or something and they're losing all that makes them them.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever named a devil by just scat singing for five minutes. Like how many names can you give them? Just make a bunch of noise for long enough. Could they ever get rid of them all?

Somewhere out there is a demon whose name is the lyrics to Alphabet Aerobics.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
None of this devil name poo poo makes a single goddamn bit of sense to me.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

GunnerJ posted:

You are thus that much closer to achieving Royalty

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GunnerJ posted:

I didn't know Aesma had an SA account!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Poison Mushroom posted:

I didn't know Aesma had an SA account!

lol GoonerJ that has got to sting a little

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Bilirubin posted:

lol GoonerJ that has got to sting a little