Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
woop! awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Oh what I logged in tonight and I have a ? again, goddammit gotta play more I guess

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
TFW you log on tygem and automatch and get a dude who's 60-20

and then you win anyway, it's me, i'm the sandbagger

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Jonas message me on discord in ITGO

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So I finished Attack & Defense and I'm currently looking for a good book on fuseki. Any recommendations?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
My strategy to reach shodan is to avoid studying any more opening than Opening Theory Made Easy.

fake edit: (Beginners may want read The Second Book of Go before those.)

Xom fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 20, 2016

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered it through GGG. Years ago, when I was in college first learning Go, I bought Tesuji. Holy poo poo all I can remember is that it was waaaaaayyy over my head at the time. I wonder if I still have it packed away somewhere.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Came here to browse the OP and ask about book recommendations because I like to play against the AI on my tablet app for a few attempts every other month or so. I prefer books that provide a lot of commentary, context/motivation, and history for everything. I can beat the computer at what it calls the 11 kyu level, but I get destroyed early on against its 6 kyu level difficulty.

Glad to see book recommendations immediately above here to save me the time. If I ever get to beat the computer's 2 dan level of play, I'll consider playing against real people. Living in Korea, I get a nice motivation to give the AI another try from seeing one of the channels dedicated to this game on the television every once in a while. The game is fun and I'm having a good time getting rekt by the AI endlessly.

I tried watching a video by that xhu guy on Youtube a while back where he explained that 3-line and 4-line opening stuff. It's a pretty creative way of looking at the board and it helped me beat the 15 kyu AI guy a year or so ago.

edit-- vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv i'm actually happy with my current situation trying to beat the AI at progressively harder difficulties, but thank you though.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 21, 2016

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Even if you do beat the 2-dan level of any AI (save AlphaGo) you are likely much worse than 2d because that's the only style of play you know. In other words, if you beat that 2d AI, I would be willing to bet a 2-3k player could beat you if you played the immediately after. Play against people. There's no reason not to with several free options available to you: OGS, KGS, IGS, etc.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

My strategy about the opening is to study it if you like it and it makes you have fun. :sun:

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

Came here to browse the OP and ask about book recommendations because I like to play against the AI on my tablet app for a few attempts every other month or so. I prefer books that provide a lot of commentary, context/motivation, and history for everything. I can beat the computer at what it calls the 11 kyu level, but I get destroyed early on against its 6 kyu level difficulty.

Glad to see book recommendations immediately above here to save me the time. If I ever get to beat the computer's 2 dan level of play, I'll consider playing against real people. Living in Korea, I get a nice motivation to give the AI another try from seeing one of the channels dedicated to this game on the television every once in a while. The game is fun and I'm having a good time getting rekt by the AI endlessly.

I tried watching a video by that xhu guy on Youtube a while back where he explained that 3-line and 4-line opening stuff. It's a pretty creative way of looking at the board and it helped me beat the 15 kyu AI guy a year or so ago.

edit-- vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv i'm actually happy with my current situation trying to beat the AI at progressively harder difficulties, but thank you though.

Yo, get in the game. Playing AI Go bots is like playing the street fighter single player or the Quake bots. You want to get in where it's like, "yo, bitch, hell no" which has been the reality for hunnerds of years.

edit: Sorry, cuz; need to add this. Rank is a primarily human thing. You rank is about how you do against other people. Bots are good and all but like, imagine whatever you are doing now as a 'practise' rank. Go bots beating human players is freaking cool. Go bots rank is rated against... well you get it.

impulse 7 effect fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 22, 2016

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4
I'd like to get into ITGO again - username Wheeler.

Thanks!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
ITGO is dead. Long live ITGO.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
I liked to start losing 100 games please

Username Azamal and I've never played before in my life please be gentle

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
For anybody who is having trouble finding The Second Book of Go, Amazon.com is currently flooded with used copies of Volumes II–IV of Janice Kim's introductory series, which are just as good for the purpose. As for the volumes which aren't flooding the marketplace, I is skippable and V I haven't read and don't have comments on.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Janice%20Kim

You may also be interested in my roadmap to 10k:
https://tinyurl.com/xomsguide

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
The best thing about ITGO was that you could badger people to review your game. You can still do that in this thread or in new ITGO, and you should if you want to improve faster.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AdorableStar posted:

My strategy about the opening is to study it if you like it and it makes you have fun. :sun:
Having fun is of utmost importance. I love to study the micro-endgame, the phase of the game when moves are worth 2 points or less, even more useless than opening.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Xom posted:

Having fun is of utmost importance. I love to study the micro-endgame, the phase of the game when moves are worth 2 points or less, even more useless than opening.

Have you read Mathematical Go? That's the key to perfecting your micro-endgame.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I'll get around to it one of these days. I'm comfortable with the basics of it.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I like when i make a stupid move or my opponent finds a really great one and im in a crappy situation but i find a way to get more profit from the situation than them anyway. Thats the most satisfying thing

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

i like it when i get matched against a 2dan in a tournament and i win by timeout

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Go

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Played two games live at the con I just went to, first against a 14k in an even game and lost by 40-50 points. Then against a 5k with a 9 stone handicap and lost by...40-50 points.

So I guess I'm in something like the high teens range! Better than I expected, to be honest, given how little I play, but hey, that's something. Gotta get on OGS and actually play. But live is so much more fun...

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
OGS owns, play online.

I should stop playing with the black and white "book" font though, it'll make me expect real life boards to look different.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I ordered a goban and stones from Gogameguru, I'm excited for it to come in. I don't know what it is, must be ADD or something, but I focus on and enjoy the game a lot more when I'm actually playing it with a real board vs. on the computer. Time to rope my family and friends into Go fever with me :getin:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I'm going to play out 1,000 kobayashi games

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

nrook posted:

OGS owns, play online.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Anyone following Cho C vs Internet Computer Brain? The match starts soon

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
no wtf is that?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

derp posted:

no wtf is that?

Cho is playing DeepZen tonight starting at 11 pm EST. Commentary by Myungwan Kim on the AGA streams on twitch and youtube starts 2 hours later.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 19, 2016

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What's DeepZen?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
The deep neural network version of Zen, it's currently the highest ranked player on KGS I believe

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
How does it compare to alphago?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also does anyone have the crazystone android app? Is it worth 17$? And what does it lack that the $80 (lol) steam version has?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Well i got it and its pretty neat. You can set the ai strength from 15k to 5d (who knows how accurate that is, the 5k setting seems close) definitely nice to have a "player" of my strength right in my pocket. But the really cool part is the analysis. After the game you can look at each move and see what the ai though would have been the best move, and what it thought its percent chance of winning was at the time. Though you cant see WHY the move was bad or good, just that it was. Neat little tool id say, maybe a bit overpriced but interesting.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
so no one has used it but me???

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yep just you.

What's a good game time for an online game? I've been playing 20 minute games, with 3 byo-yomi periods of 30 seconds each. But I don't have a good reason to prefer this time length over others. I only play with those overtime rules because Haylee does and I get to pretend I'm pro.

Honestly byo-yomi seems kind of silly but I doubt I'd get a game playing anything else.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Byo yomi is the norm in go matches. I would say you need some sort of increment or extra time per move, either byo yomi or some other system, just due to the fact that there is no way for one player to force the game to end (as there is in chess where absolute time controls are more of a thing). Less common alternatives include Canadian time, where you get a certain amount of time to play a certain amount of moves and once you play the moves the time gets refreshed, or fisher / increment time where you get a flat bonus of time for every move you play. I tend not to like Canadian time because it can lead to people playing timesuji moves in order to hit their increment, and I haven't seen anyone play with fisher style time.

20 min + 3x30s byo yomi is a good time setting, especially if you're learning. You want to play slow enough that you're getting enough time to think about your moves (so, not blitz) but fast enough that you can play a decent number of games (so, not spending more than 60 mins per game). You may find that a lot of people online want to play fast time settings, but force yourself to get a decent length game. I typically try to play 15m + 5x30s, but that's just because I'm used to it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Fischer timing is the norm for correspondence matches on OGS and it works great for that.

And yeah, for live games there are really no non-stupid alternatives to Byo-yomi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

derp posted:

Also does anyone have the crazystone android app? Is it worth 17$? And what does it lack that the $80 (lol) steam version has?

No idea about Android or Steam but I have the new iOS version and it is excellent. There is a (clumsy but workable) way to import an SGF and then re-analyze every move using the AI algorithm. This is *awesome* for reviewing my own human-vs-human games to identify mistakes and missed opportunities. Not as great as asking a stronger player for a review, of course, but it's fantastic for doing a quick check on my own. I'm now running almost all my own games through its analysis. Note: I'm about 8k and I think the AI review would be less useful if I were stronger. But I think anyone SDK and below would find it quite helpful.

If anyone is interested, I can post some tips on interpreting its analysis report for game reviewing.

Re: time controls - 10m main time is the minimum I feel comfortable with playing online. I prefer 15m-20m. Over 20m feels too long and below 10m runs me out of thinking time in mid game. Any x 30sec byoyomi has been fine for me.