Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DoctorOozy posted:

Ok, seems I am trying to do what I should be doing.

There is only one guy in my region I know of that plays the deck, so I never see it in RL. On MTGO I don't see it for ages and then 1-4 two leagues in a row with wall to wall Ad_Nausiem

I swear it is my worst matchup (closely followed by Lantern Control)

Ad nausem is a weird deck honestly. It suffers from inconsistency more than it does from its opponents. Blood moon is the best hate for it there is. Everything else is basically junk with 4 leylines in there board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/wizards-coast-stream-magic-events-exclusively-twitch-2016-11-17

quote:

Twitch will be the exclusive streaming provider—outside of Japan and China—for Magic Grand Prix, Pro Tours, World Championships, as well as the World Magic Cup, which is taking place this weekend in Rotterdam, the Netherlands and streaming on Twitch.tv/magic.

Additionally, the partnership will allow Wizards of the Coast to stream more of its international events in English, collaborate on sponsorships, and ultimately make the Magic viewing experience among the best in the world.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Sickening posted:

It suffers from inconsistency more than it does from its opponents.

This is my difficulty. It does not feel inconsistent from my side of the match.

Maybe I forget the matches where I roll over my opponent... but all I remember is "o look thier turn 4. I lost."

I'm going to go back up to 2 blood moon and a counter and see what happens

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Who else were they streaming with that makes this exclusive?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DoctorOozy posted:

Who else were they streaming with that makes this exclusive?

They were streaming, at least for pts, on YouTube as well, but presumably it made their numbers look less impressive.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Youtube live is around 10x better than twitch. Idiotic.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah I enjoyed streaming it on Youtube more than Twitch. No matter which I just mute chat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lol twitch always crashed for them if theyget more then like 5000 viewers, getting rid of youtube streaming is dumb

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol twitch always crashed for them if theyget more then like 5000 viewers, getting rid of youtube streaming is dumb

I don't believe that has anything to do with twitch. Tournaments break 20x that weekly without breaking a sweat. The issues are definitely on WOTC end.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The real issues with twitch are:

- Still defaults to a flash player
- Unlike youtube doesn't have 1.25 or higher playback speeds
- Can't scrub back and forth with realtime
- In fact, no pause resume. lmao
- Different url for the vod, which is always 30+ minutes behind
- I think possibly the actual video fidelity is lower too.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also the Twitch mobile functionality is terrible.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, not being able to turn the stream on 3 hours in and catch up at 2x is a dealbreaker. That was got me out of the habit of watching SCG all the time. Once you're watching Magic/HS videos at 2x it's extremely hard to watch them at normal speed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any hope of Twitch adopting any of those features?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Mine defaults to HTML 5.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Any hope of Twitch adopting any of those features?

Not for a while. AFAIK their backend still chunks streams into 30 minute blocks, which is a hard limitation on VOD latency. You can use twitchls.com to get the pause resume and an html5 player at least.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Youtube live is around 10x better than twitch. Idiotic.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Not for a while. AFAIK their backend still chunks streams into 30 minute blocks, which is a hard limitation on VOD latency. You can use twitchls.com to get the pause resume and an html5 player at least.

Oh god I totally forgot the pause/resume stuff. At least I can do that now.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DoctorOozy posted:

This is my difficulty. It does not feel inconsistent from my side of the match.

Maybe I forget the matches where I roll over my opponent... but all I remember is "o look thier turn 4. I lost."

I'm going to go back up to 2 blood moon and a counter and see what happens

To be fair that's probably about how about how the Affinity matchup from the other side of the coinflip for a deck that spends it first three turns casting Sleight of Hands.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
So single elimination cube is pretty lame. Part of the fun is seeing the different, powerful decks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A while ago I called the MTGO devs lazy, and someone posted to say they're not lazy, they're something else. They released a bunch of Conspiracy 2 and Commander cards on MTGO yesterday, none of which use the Monarch mechanic. That's pretty goddamn lazy, especially when many of those cards are Pauper and Legacy playable.

Here's how to program Monarch, using already in-game stuff. Monarch cards when cast check to see if a Monarch emblem exist. If yes, gain control of that emblem. If no, create a Monarch emblem. The Monarch emblem has the text, "Draw a card at the end of your turn. If any creature deals combat damage to you, that creature's controller gains control of it." Boom, done, you can implement a bunch of fun cards and not make online Legacy a goddamn farce like it used to be.

checkplease posted:

So single elimination cube is pretty lame. Part of the fun is seeing the different, powerful decks.

Do a Cube league then.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

checkplease posted:

So I guess it doesn't make much difference for this particular cube.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Oh wow, honestly did not know cube leagues were even a thing. Yeah that's much better. I guess I need to explore mtgo some more.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 18, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellsau posted:

A while ago I called the MTGO devs lazy, and someone posted to say they're not lazy, they're something else. They released a bunch of Conspiracy 2 and Commander cards on MTGO yesterday, none of which use the Monarch mechanic. That's pretty goddamn lazy, especially when many of those cards are Pauper and Legacy playable.

Here's how to program Monarch, using already in-game stuff. Monarch cards when cast check to see if a Monarch emblem exist. If yes, gain control of that emblem. If no, create a Monarch emblem. The Monarch emblem has the text, "Draw a card at the end of your turn. If any creature deals combat damage to you, that creature's controller gains control of it." Boom, done, you can implement a bunch of fun cards and not make online Legacy a goddamn farce like it used to be.

Do a Cube league then.

That would be functionally different if they ever print a card that cares about emblems

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

That would be functionally different if they ever print a card that cares about emblems

Let's be honest, if they ever did that they'd have to rebuild half of MODO from the ground up anyway.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Wow. That is sad, though not very surprising.

Anyone have any further information about Digital Next? Have they announced if it will be replacing MTGO entirely or if the products will exist separately? If it is a replacement, what happens to the folks with digital cards? If it exists separately, will they continue to release new sets?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Jabor posted:

Nice combo with trickbind

Doesn't work because if the opponent suspects you have it they can hold priority after activating it once and activate it again.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lets Pickle posted:

Doesn't work because if the opponent suspects you have it they can hold priority after activating it once and activate it again.

No, you activate it twice yourself (holding priority at all times) and then trickbind one of the instances. Your opponent can't activate it themselves while trickbind is on the stack, and they also can't activate it in response to the remaining copy once trickbind has resolved.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Hellsau posted:

Do a Cube league then.

You say all of this like MODO was designed using architectural concepts such separation of concerns. Even a team of lazy devs averages to a reasonable output of productivity (or a ton if they're lazy and also good at automating things). WotC sounds like they constantly have their heads up their own asses so not putting enough resources into MODO to make it not embarrassing sounds like par for the course.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The impression I have is making new sets eats up nearly all the available time and bug fixes get squeezed in as they can and that leaves no time to work on the inherent problems. WotC seems to employ the bare minimum of staff. Most of this comes from that Brian Wong interview Marshall did.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Who's on Team USA for the World Magic Cup?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
When I woke up this morning and fired up twitch on my Chromecast for a little before I went to work the stream was completely unwatchable. Youtube was MUCH better.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

80s James Hetfield posted:

Who's on Team USA for the World Magic Cup?

Same for Team UK. Are they all Spanish again?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/magic/ShyGoshawkSMOrc

Fire all the off screen coverage people.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/magic/ShyGoshawkSMOrc

Fire all the off screen coverage people.

LOL

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

When I woke up this morning and fired up twitch on my Chromecast for a little before I went to work the stream was completely unwatchable. Youtube was MUCH better.

It was unwatchable on my chromecast as well, but fine on my computer or phone.

I had never thought about the Dryad Arbor/Grafdigger's Cage interaction before.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Holy poo poo those 2 judge call against Finland, seems the judges want the Dominican Republic to win.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Same for Team UK. Are they all Spanish again?

I think you mean Team England?

I know and have personally lost against all members of Team Scotland.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Go gently caress yourself, Owen.

https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/799285047702396928

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I was gonna quote, but this link is a lot more useful: http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/ipg4-2/

gently caress you, Turdenwald Scott-Vargas, apparently :(

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/799286445638762496

LSV got called out and recognized that it was probably too soon.

• Locked thread