Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Got impatient waiting for OLED super sales and picked up a Samsung KS8000 today. Holy crap this tv is gorgeous, although I'm coming from a 8 year old Toshiba (purchased at Circuit City of all places).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Just moved to Germany and I'm looking to buy something 27-34 inches for a small apartment. In-store prices are absolutely nuts here. I purchased a monitor for use as a TV in Florida and it broke on the flight here even though it was padded beyond belief, so I'm back to square one. I figure I may as well just get a bona fide TV so I don't have to fiddle with speakers. My only requirement is that it have 1080 res and an HDMI input. Any suggestions from fellow Europeans/Germans?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

I saw Dr Strange on a Cinemark top end XD screen this weekend at a theater that's only two years old. This was first theater experience since I bought my C6.

First reaction? This 3d isn't sharp enough and these black levels suuuuuuuuck. I'm so incredibly spoiled now.

You're really going to make me buy one of these. The price seems to be coming down a bit too. If I can find a good deal on BF (probably not likely) I might pull the trigger. And I know if I buy one for my theater I'm going to want to upgrade my family room.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

Just moved to Germany and I'm looking to buy something 27-34 inches for a small apartment. In-store prices are absolutely nuts here. I purchased a monitor for use as a TV in Florida and it broke on the flight here even though it was padded beyond belief, so I'm back to square one. I figure I may as well just get a bona fide TV so I don't have to fiddle with speakers. My only requirement is that it have 1080 res and an HDMI input. Any suggestions from fellow Europeans/Germans?

Prices are going to be higher because 19% VAT is included.
Based on your requirements i would say walk into Mediamarkt/Saturn and pick up the first thing that seems reasonable? Shouldn't be more than €250 based on mediamarkt.de.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Maneki Neko posted:

Got impatient waiting for OLED super sales and picked up a Samsung KS8000 today. Holy crap this tv is gorgeous, although I'm coming from a 8 year old Toshiba (purchased at Circuit City of all places).

I don't want to be a shithead, but how much did you pay for it?

Black Friday deals are going to have it down to $1500 BUT if your employer participates with their EPP, you can get it below $1100 ($1080 for a 65")

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't want to be a shithead, but how much did you pay for it?

Black Friday deals are going to have it down to $1500 BUT if your employer participates with their EPP, you can get it below $1100 ($1080 for a 65")

I bought it at Costco, they seem to be doing the Black Friday prices now. I saw the EPP stuff mentioned on the internet but I don't work for a company that qualifies and it looks like Samsung has been cracking down on sharing invites.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Maneki Neko posted:

I bought it at Costco, they seem to be doing the Black Friday prices now. I saw the EPP stuff mentioned on the internet but I don't work for a company that qualifies and it looks like Samsung has been cracking down on sharing invites.

Ach, sorry then. I was pleased to see the final price but I think it would be a good deal even at original retail.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hello again HDTV thread.

What do we think of the Samsung UE49KU6400? It seems too good to be true at that price but from what I can tell it's a widely loved TV. The only recurring sticking point in reviews is a lack of HDR10.

Please confirm for me that I have this right - trying to figure out what the hell is the deal with HDR is making me want to murder people: HDR10 is a signal standard which will come out of my PS4 Pro and be accepted by any TV offering "HDR" as a bullet point, but not all TVs have 10bit displays to take full advantage, and most will downconvert HDR10 input for 8 bits, and the KU6400 is such a TV. Right? I am understanding this right?

How much of a dealbreaker is HDR8 as opposed to HDR10? Is it still an order of magnitude better than... not HDR? Am I going to get a TV with HDR10 without jumping into four figures or thereabouts?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not specifically the HDR that's 10 bit, it's the color depth. HDR10 means that the HDR metadata was created with a 10 bit color space image in mind.

UHD's REC2020 colorspace specifies 10 or 12 bit color. 10 bit is basically the standard for all UHD media.

So, to answer your question, you will get banding or dithering. It's not really an HDR question that that point. You are converting an image with 10 bit color for display on an 8 bit panel. There's just going to be colors that the display can't replicate and will either have to use tricks to approximate them or remap them to the nearest 8 bit equivalent.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Anything particular to watch for on Black Friday? I'm looking for a 50-55'' inch tv to play Netflix and PS4 on. Don't particularly care if it's 4K or 1080p.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just buy a vizio if you don't particularly care.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
OK it's been a couple years so I expect the joke to be over by now -- when is Panasonic going to release a new line of killer plasmas with a really good picture for like $700?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

bull3964 posted:

It's not specifically the HDR that's 10 bit, it's the color depth. HDR10 means that the HDR metadata was created with a 10 bit color space image in mind.

UHD's REC2020 colorspace specifies 10 or 12 bit color. 10 bit is basically the standard for all UHD media.

So, to answer your question, you will get banding or dithering. It's not really an HDR question that that point. You are converting an image with 10 bit color for display on an 8 bit panel. There's just going to be colors that the display can't replicate and will either have to use tricks to approximate them or remap them to the nearest 8 bit equivalent.

Okay, with you.

This is my situation; I'm looking at the KU6400 for £570. It's good in every respect except lacking HDR10. I'm also looking at a comparable LG for £700 - pretty sure this is a deal price - the 49UH850V, which is a 10bit.

This is probably going to be my TV for the next several years. I have a feeling I know what y'all are gonna say, HDTV thread, but just to be sure... that extra £130 is gonna be worth it, right?

E: Ah come on now I'm finding that the LG is an IPS display. That's... not so good now. I'm now looking at £900 for a Samsung UE49KS7000. 330 more pounds for HDR10, hella brightness and a nifty stand. Still worth the jump for that?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 16, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think that's the same as the US KS8000 which has been discussed in the thread, which some of us own.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Number_6 posted:

OK it's been a couple years so I expect the joke to be over by now -- when is Panasonic going to release a new line of killer plasmas with a really good picture for like $700?

They're gonna release those to compete with the FED flat panel displays.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Who would have ever imagined lucky goldstar would be the leader in high end tv's and everyone would buy panels from them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don Lapre posted:

Who would have ever imagined lucky goldstar would be the leader in high end tv's and everyone would buy panels from them.

The question is if the Chinese will be as successful as the Koreans have at capturing the high end. Are we going to be salivating over Hisense panels in 8 years?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Have any chinese disclosed they are working on oled panels?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Number_6 posted:

Twerk from Home posted:

The question is if the Chinese will be as successful as the Koreans have at capturing the high end. Are we going to be salivating over Hisense panels in 8 years?

A Chinese company bought Visio, so probably.
They've already done it with cars, that Chinese sedan the Volvo S90 is among the best in its class.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 16, 2016

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
My awful used TV just bit it a month ago and costco has ~50" tv's for $400 next week. LG or Vizio? Or avoid entirely? $400 is about my budget and I haven't really looked into other black friday deals.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Find out what panels they have. LG often uses IPS panels which have awful blacks (but good viewing angles)

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have an LG E6P and was using ARC to a Sony CT-HT790 sound bar. It was delaying exactly five seconds for some reason and I couldn't figure out why so I did a factory reset. After doing the reset it was fine until the next day. It started not loading the home screen and generally freaking out. I contacted Sony and had the case escalated, so now I have to mail it back to them.

So...
1. I think Sony quality has gone to poo poo and so has their support. I pretty much spent three hours rebooting a sound bar over and over again.
2. Should I connect my source devices to the sound bar and then connect to a regular, non-ARC port?
3. I've only had this sound bar for three months, is there anything I can do if this thing comes back still broken?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Picked up a Samsung KU6290 and jesus H christ there's a LOT of motion blur whenever anything moves. Is this normal with 4K? I threw it on game mode so its not the soap opera effect option throwing me off.

I also went from a 20" to a 40" TV so might that be why I'm detecting so much blur?

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 17, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Did you try turning motion processing off (or on)?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Don Lapre posted:

Find out what panels they have. LG often uses IPS panels which have awful blacks (but good viewing angles)

Thanks!

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Any thoughts on the Samsung KU6500 (55", 4K, curved) and Samsung KU6300 (55", 4K, flat)? This would mostly be used for upscaled retrogames via an XRGB framemeister and hooked up to a PC for movies/browsing.

kynikos fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 18, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

How big a deal is IPS vs VA? I want a Vizio M or P, but the sizes of each that I'm interested in have IPS while literally every other display in the M/P series are VA. Only the 60" M and the 55" P are IPS, for some reason. Are they still good TVs? Why did Vizio do this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's just your standard tradeoff.

Really, evaluate your viewing environment. If you don't often watch with dimmed lights and have many off axis seating positions, IPS is probably the better way to go.

Sit right in front of the TV and like to control ambient light? VA.

From the manufacturers perspective, you are over thinking it and your shouldn't care about the panel type. Hell, Samsung has been known to use both types for the same model at even the same size. The panel is an interchangeable widget for them on lower cost TVs that just have to meet a loose range of specs.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Any thoughts on this TV?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5...p?skuId=5428200

Fits my budget and I've had nothing but success with Vizio's, just figured I'd see if anyone had a second opinion worth considering.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

How big a deal is IPS vs VA? I want a Vizio M or P, but the sizes of each that I'm interested in have IPS while literally every other display in the M/P series are VA. Only the 60" M and the 55" P are IPS, for some reason. Are they still good TVs? Why did Vizio do this?

VA will have 3-5x the native contrast as IPS. Its a pretty big difference in black level.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

What's the deal with curved vs flat? Coming from the world of flat display panels everywhere, what's the point of curved?

Does it have some optimal viewing distance/angle and nothing else? Good as an all-around?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Curved is an additional marketing gimmick. A mild curve (like on LG OLED) is easily dismissed. Samsung's curves are more extreme and IMO annoying.

Curved does help a little with off axis reflections.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DNK posted:

What's the deal with curved vs flat? Coming from the world of flat display panels everywhere, what's the point of curved?

Does it have some optimal viewing distance/angle and nothing else? Good as an all-around?

Curved monitors are great if you are sitting right up on them and i guess tv's would be as well if you are really really close and in the center. If its your typical living room though go flat all day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Holy poo poo, this TV was worth buying for Grand Tour alone.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Are there any recommended go-to TVs? I probably won't notice most of the finer points you guys will look for, so I'm really just looking for a decent buy. I've been reading a whole bunch of reviews, and at 40", a Samsung k5500 seems pretty good to me?

Anyone know anything else around that price point that might be worth a look?

e: j6240?

kcer fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 18, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am going to get a OLED TV today unless you guys think there might be a good black Friday deal. :)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ratbert90 posted:

I am going to get a OLED TV today unless you guys think there might be a good black Friday deal. :)

According to this, it looks like the only OLEDs will be 55" @ $1999

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

OK guys. I did some soul searching, realized I wanted size over HDR, and I cannot for the life of me tell the difference between these two TVs:

https://www.vizio.com/blackfriday/e70e3.html

https://www.vizio.com/e70ud3.html

Go to tech specs, what on earth is different about these? They seem identical.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Hmm

bull3964 posted:

Holy poo poo, this TV was worth buying for Grand Tour alone.

Grand tour is a REALLY good looking show so far, even my girlfriend watched and commented on it and she doesn't give a poo poo about cars. Makes me want to upgrade my TV 👌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's easily in my top 5 (if not number 1) of UHD HDR content that I've seen outside of tech demos.