Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

yeah i'm not really making comparisons, i just find this kind of tech baffling in how they manage to have a working "logic" with only mechanical parts, and hold up for a hundred years. i guess cpus are also accomplishments of science and ingenuity but they're less obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFxEjaMyu8&t=326s

You can do a lot of poo poo with cogs and levers.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

western codes of ethics.

lmao at this

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

honestly that just makes me feel lovely. so what if it's a dumb product -- they are getting totally hosed over by a country that just doesn't give two shits about western codes of ethics.

sucks.
in addition to "lol western ethics," where's the loving over?

they did a successful ks, they're going to deliver even if there's alternatives, everyone's happy? not like the stupid cooler where they couldn't make the volume and the amazon knock-off was available for non-backers with much more regularity, not like the OTS bikes that were marked way up and eventually outed as a scam.

is it really such a tragedy that a KS can succeed without turning into a "4 hour work week" business?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
this one owns

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1149400304/underscares-the-diaper-from-the-creators-of-outlas

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
multiple opium wars, the burning of peking, the suppression of the boxer rebellion, the foreign legations in shanghai, the exclusion acts - why oh are the red chinese so hostile to western ethical values?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Nah I feel like I'm watching someone camp a spawn point and snipe all the newbs that actually manage to make it out the tunnel labeled THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE IT while everyone goes "lol another one lololo" & meanwhile on goes the meat grinder.

Now people are going to let me know how exactly that analogy breaks down but it really just makes me kind of sad ok

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
the only reason that doesn't happen here is because of patent law

there's not a company in this country that wouldn't do the same while skullfucking your mother just for fun if it wasn't for the threat of lawsuits.

western ethics, el oh el

Sair
May 11, 2007

corporations are skullfuckers, my friend

evilcat
May 16, 2009
"The essence of a woman in a bottle of beer."
No three guesses needed as to essence or where they are getting the lactobacillus from.
The reward tree and the description of the entire thing is putting me at more of a loss for words than the mower lights did.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
guys. the wiley chinaman is making a mockery of the honorable western patent system. if this keeps up then soon no honest europeans will publicly beg the internet to fund the tchachkis that serious venture capitalists have passed up in favor of pouring billions into tiny bitcoin computers. meanwhile an inscrutable chinese internet store will let you buy something by clicking just one time and jeff bezos will be so pissed, just so, so pissed

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mister Sinewave posted:

Had a good KS campaign but an easily copied what you see is what you get gadget is nothing you can build a company slash future on, especially todayabouts.
when was it ever though? what's the 2005 example of a guy who made it out of the tunnel that's now getting sniped by china?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

FMguru posted:

multiple opium wars, the burning of peking, the suppression of the boxer rebellion, the foreign legations in shanghai, the exclusion acts - why oh are the red chinese so hostile to western ethical values?

they were hostile to the west long before all that dude. iirc they carried on believing that the world consisted of (a) china, center of the world and sole home of civilization, and (b) barbarians, right up until the british rocked up with modern weapons and proved them right forced them to start treating foreigners as equals

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Soricidus posted:

they were hostile to the west long before all that dude. iirc they carried on believing that the world consisted of (a) china, center of the world and sole home of civilization, and (b) barbarians, right up until the british rocked up with modern weapons and proved them right forced them to start treating foreigners as equals

yeah man it's not like nearly every other major civilization in the history of civilization has done, does, or will continue to do the same

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

duTrieux. posted:

yeah man it's not like nearly every other major civilization in the history of civilization has done, does, or will continue to do the same

this but unironically. it's common for countries to think that they're the best and their neighbors eat the wrong things and bathe at incorrect intervals, but it's rare for countries to actively refuse to trade or make treaties with anyone else

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

this but unironically. it's common for countries to think that they're the best and their neighbors eat the wrong things and bathe at incorrect intervals, but it's rare for countries to actively refuse to trade or make treaties with anyone else

lol if you're from the us right now

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

JawnV6 posted:

when was it ever though? what's the 2005 example of a guy who made it out of the tunnel that's now getting sniped by china?

I'm not saying (and I ain't gonna try to convince anyone) that there was some golden age of the American Dream that we're missing out on, especially not when we have more tools and opportunity to take ideas to the races than anyone had 10+ (or even five) years ago.

It is an accomplishment all in itself to come up with something people actually want to buy. Not use, not understand, but BUY. It's not easy and if you managed it -- even if there was luck or right-time-right-place-right-daddy-right-last-name or w/e involved -- I guess I just find it a downer when you aren't able to capitalize on a feasible idea you actually brought to existence because your worst sin was not "bought a house instead of parts with the campaign money" and it wasn't "$20k celebratory trip to vegas", the worst sin was just being in over your head or outmaneuvered or not able to see the future or whatever. On top of it all there's this gleeful kind of "lol got what they deserved" attitude. It's a downer.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
re fidgetcube: I called it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

lol if you're from the us right now

livin' in the sprawl, dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains and there's no end in sight

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
sky the color of television tuned to a dead channel

(that used to mean something other than "blue")

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Sinewave posted:

saw a tv the other day that defaulted to bright green instead of bright blue for that, it was mad weird

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A clock that purposely tells you the wrong time so you will work more efficiently

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
why is the hour hand behind the minute hand

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mister Sinewave posted:

i hate when the 'no signal detected' moon bounces across the sky

oh cool they made my car clock

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

oh cool they made that garbage Sony alarm clock that was the first iPhone certified one that couldn't keep time even though it had a reliable 60Hz tick source connected to it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector posted:

i hate when the 'no signal detected' moon bounces across the sky

case looked at the panther moderns oddly; the little jacks behind their ears were loaded with microsofts, but half of them were usb-c and constantly shorted out their cerebral cortex, leaving the google crowd a convulsing mess

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFxEjaMyu8&t=326s

You can do a lot of poo poo with cogs and levers.

this owns holy poo poo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Migishu posted:

this owns holy poo poo

yeah Linotype is badass.

there was briefly another technology called phototype which replaced the lead blocks with photographic film but digital typesetting quickly rendered it obsolete.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

there was briefly another technology called phototype which replaced the lead blocks with photographic film but digital typesetting quickly rendered it obsolete.

pretty sure this is what I saw when I toured a newspaper as a kid

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

thats a little misleading since they've put a $1.00 childs sticker in the dropdown or something to make the price look lower. $7.50 though, ouch. I just added the $3 keychain frame earlier this week when the survey came out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A Yolo Wizard posted:

thats a little misleading since they've put a $1.00 childs sticker in the dropdown or something to make the price look lower. $7.50 though, ouch. I just added the $3 keychain frame earlier this week when the survey came out.

Being in the "toys for baby" section is pretty funny though

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

how is babby toy formed?

how does project get kickstratted?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Jabor posted:

Being in the "toys for baby" section is pretty funny though

lol that thing is the perfect size to choke a baby and is probably slathered in carcinogens and lead paint

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i like the style but unless you start working at the beginning of each hour or click "start work" on their app i don't see the point

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

also requires you to not be a lazy bastard like my own self

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

why does a wall clock need an app?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shifty Pony posted:

sometimes it gets bored while taking a poo poo :rimshot:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

also requires you to not be a lazy bastard like my own self

or not to have any sort of meeting where people who aren't idiots have to attend

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shifty Pony posted:

so it can ddos the eastern seaboard with the rest of the internet things

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i'd pledge a dollar if they released tutorials about how to make those cool flat bamboo surfaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Boiled Water posted:

so it can ddos the eastern seaboard with the rest of the internet things

Lmao but probably very true

• Locked thread