Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

if this game is DA:I but in space I'm totally buying. should I play the other Mass Effects before this comes out? I figure I might pick them up as something to do after finals and they might be on sale as a part of the Black Friday sale on Xbox so it could be a worthwhile investment

Play it, the games mostly hold up and you can get acquainted with the Milky Way Races

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's pronounced Kare-eb-rus.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The plural is just Caribou.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
can someone tali me what you're all quarian about :shepface:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

comatose posted:

Even though ME3 left me super disappointed, I'm on the hype train for Andromeda. I didn't really like DAI because of the combat and all the pointless filler busy work that was on every map and I'm secretly scared that Andromeda will have the same thing. :ohdear:

If there was a lot of pointless filler in Mass Effect it would be all right, because the basic combat loop from ME2/3 is enjoyable enough to play over and over. The collectathons in Inquisition were more aggravating because if you knew anything about the game you could break it in two by the time you fight the Crestwood Dragon at level 12.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

If there was a lot of pointless filler in Mass Effect it would be all right, because the basic combat loop from ME2/3 is enjoyable enough to play over and over. The collectathons in Inquisition were more aggravating because if you knew anything about the game you could break it in two by the time you fight the Crestwood Dragon at level 12.

What are you talking about? How?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

I assume he's talking about Knight Enchanter or Artificer Rogue hilariously breaking the game. And making combat extremely boring.
ME3:MP was extremely balanced (Aside from some UR guns) so combat stayed fresh.

Although in ME3 SP the Vanguard broke the game just as hard. I remember the part where you're supposed to stand your ground against waves of incoming enemies until you take enough damage to trigger the next event. I played it for about 40 minutes straight because I never lost health until a Banshee instakilled me.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

25 pages of talking about ME3's ending and nobody brings up Indoctrination Theory. #smdh

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
So like,

what happened to the reapers? Did they pick a canon ending?

Where did the galaxy cleansing godmachines gooo

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Zzulu posted:

So like,

Off to a farm in the country.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

25 pages of talking about ME3's ending and nobody brings up Indoctrination Theory. #smdh

Imagine your story is such poo poo that the only thing that makes it halfway decent is the video game equivalent of chemtrails

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Zzulu posted:

So like,

Shepard ended the Reaper War, or didn't.

Forget about it and check out these cool Rock People chilling in Andromeda until we come and gently caress their poo poo up

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
Ah man

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Zzulu posted:

So like,

Nobody knows, all the Andromeda colonists left before the Reapers showed up & they have no way of communicating with the Milky Way or going back there.

Wait, I thought the Normandy had a quantum entanglement communicator or some-such? Doesn't that mean that instantaneous communication over any distance technology exists already? Why wouldn't somebody alert the colony fleet that their home civilization is being destroyed and recall them? Surely the giant hub ship has got to have tons of weapons, they wouldn't send it into an alien galaxy without as much firepower as possible in case they found a hostile species.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Drifter posted:

If you knew how to exploit crafting and had quick access to Tier 3 patterns then you could effectively destroy everything in the game from very early on, even on the highest difficulty. Killing the Crestwood Dragon around level ~12 started a snowball effect where you could use the crafting drops to make super OP armor and weapons, thus destroying more and more content.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Imagine your story is such poo poo that the only thing that makes it halfway decent is the video game equivalent of chemtrails

See, you're right to think that way. It's a good and valid opinion. Still think it's a neat way to recontextualize.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Nevets posted:

Nobody knows, all the Andromeda colonists left before the Reapers showed up & they have no way of communicating with the Milky Way or going back there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFGyvsBRujY

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nobody talks about indoctrination theory because the Extended Cut basically killed it, either way it doesn't matter, it was just a pointless exercise in "really makes you think" gymnastics.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

exquisite tea posted:

If you knew how to exploit crafting and had quick access to Tier 3 patterns then you could effectively destroy everything in the game from very early on, even on the highest difficulty. Killing the Crestwood Dragon around level ~12 started a snowball effect where you could use the crafting drops to make super OP armor and weapons, thus destroying more and more content.

See: Golden Nug

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope one of your squadmates is Marauder Shields.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad I maxed out my resources for a long time to really see not much of a difference on Earth at the end.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nevets posted:

Wait, I thought the Normandy had a quantum entanglement communicator or some-such? Doesn't that mean that instantaneous communication over any distance technology exists already? Why wouldn't somebody alert the colony fleet that their home civilization is being destroyed and recall them? Surely the giant hub ship has got to have tons of weapons, they wouldn't send it into an alien galaxy without as much firepower as possible in case they found a hostile species.

I want to say that those communicators came about via the one on the Normandy that Cerberus built so if these ships are leaving before Shepard flipped off TIM then they wouldn't have them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope one of your squadmates is Marauder Shields.

wow, that takes me back. In all the complaining about the ME3 ending I didn't really read in the last thread, I forgot all about marauder shields.

...Bioware's totally going to put a nod to this in MEA.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

I really hope there was some form of communication between the Milky Way and the Ark ships for at least the first few years of their voyage. Because if not that means they are going to rehash the whole genophage plot and more importantly the Arks won't have access to the last Blasto film.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Trast posted:

...the Arks won't have access to the last Blasto film.

Confirmation this game takes place in the darkest timeline.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Trast posted:

I really hope there was some form of communication between the Milky Way and the Ark ships for at least the first few years of their voyage. Because if not that means they are going to rehash the whole genophage plot and more importantly the Arks won't have access to the last Blasto film.

I've been predicting for awhile that Ryder's ship will malfunction at the start of Andromeda and they'll remain in hypersleep for 100 years or whatever and awaken to a galaxy already populated by your favorite fuckable aliens.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Psion posted:

wow, that takes me back. In all the complaining about the ME3 ending I didn't really read in the last thread, I forgot all about marauder shields.

...Bioware's totally going to put a nod to this in MEA.

Name your first character Ma Ryder.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Nevets posted:

Weren't the reapers really just a Milky Way thing?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I've been predicting for awhile that Ryder's ship will malfunction at the start of Andromeda and they'll remain in hypersleep for 100 years or whatever and awaken to a galaxy already populated by your favorite fuckable aliens.

I thought that had already been stated by the writers? It gives a plausible excuse for there being planets and space station hubs up and running for the player to use outside of the Nexus.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trast posted:

I thought that had already been stated by the writers? It gives a plausible excuse for there being planets and space station hubs up and running for the player to use outside of the Nexus.

It also allows for "Reapers? What are those??" questions in dialogue to make it "accessible" to "newcomers."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

exquisite tea posted:

Explicitly, the nexus ran ahead of the colony ships and spat a bunch of colonists out in Andromeda before the Arks got there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I appreciate this thread for getting me hype enough that I started a new trilogy play through, only to realize I am apparently Mass Effected out. Tried jumping ahead to 2 and even that seemed tedious. Otoh, it's that much more time I can spend on ME3 multiplayer before MEA comes out.

Thanks, ya'll! :unsmith:

(Also I miss my recursive Jacob avatar. If spidermonkee or whatever your name is still has the file sitting around somewhere, I'd rebuy it for myself, but I lost the gif about three hard drives ago.)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

homullus posted:

It also allows for "Reapers? What are those??" questions in dialogue to make it "accessible" to "newcomers."
:10bux: The Reapers are never mentioned in ME:A because they don't want to touch that poo poo with a 10ft pole ever again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

:10bux: The Reapers are never mentioned in ME:A because they don't want to touch that poo poo with a 10ft pole ever again.

Maybe I should have said an oversleeping Ryder gives them an opportunity to do "[Thing from ME 1-3]? What's that??" dialogue to make the game "accessible" to "newcomers."

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm real excited to stumble into a new galactic setpiece conflict instead of small stories about trying to navigate our way in an established alien society.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I appreciate this thread for getting me hype enough that I started a new trilogy play through, only to realize I am apparently Mass Effected out. Tried jumping ahead to 2 and even that seemed tedious. Otoh, it's that much more time I can spend on ME3 multiplayer before MEA comes out.

Thanks, ya'll! :unsmith:

(Also I miss my recursive Jacob avatar. If spidermonkee or whatever your name is still has the file sitting around somewhere, I'd rebuy it for myself, but I lost the gif about three hard drives ago.)

Logging a lot of hours in multiplayer does spoil combat for the rest of the trilogy. Everything moves much slower and dies much easier compared to gold and platinum collector games on the London map.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

mango sentinel posted:

I'm real excited to stumble into a new galactic setpiece conflict instead of small stories about trying to navigate our way in an established alien society.

Maybe we'll get both: You start off doing Lewis & Clark but then along the way you eat some sacred apple or don't bow deep enough or something and then you're forced to become space Cortez.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

AlternateAccount posted:

No you see these incredibly ancient and advanced synthetics that *looks up me3 ending* seek to prevent the occurrence of rampant and organic life ending AI *sighs* are only concerned with the one galaxy and not the other one that our technologically primitive races have no problem accessing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

homullus posted:

Maybe I should have said an oversleeping Ryder gives them an opportunity to do "[Thing from ME 1-3]? What's that??" dialogue to make the game "accessible" to "newcomers."
It's the first in a new series, we're all newcomers technically. Again, if they're smart the words reapers, reaping, or indoctrination will never appear anywhere in the game because that's a huge pile of poo poo they don't want to be stepping in.

e: ok, I know this is Bioware but I think they (and EA especially) have learned at least some lessons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

DARK SPACE, THE VOID BETWEEN GALAXIES