Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

double negative posted:

Giving people passes for putting out good music or being a sick athlete is insanely dumb, much like Kanye West. My dude expended the goodwill he earned for "George Bush doesn't care about black people" years ago.

Who precisely is giving anyone a "pass" here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Who precisely is giving anyone a "pass" here?

Buschmaki posted:

Kanye West can do no wrong after releasing Graduation.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think that Tyler will probably surpass Kanye as "tastemaker" before too long anyways. That dude's hustle is ridiculous.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Buschmaki is a known idiot.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The ideology eater posted:

Makes me think about when they released that Mascots movie and I watched the trailer. Looked kinda funny but it was literally 100% white people and I'm not interested in supporting that poo poo anymore. Was glad to see reviews were bad afterwards.

That's Christopher Guest for you. It's worth a watch if you liked Waiting for Guffman or Parker Posey Parker Poseying it up. Otherwise it's a solid shrug.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Apologies if this is old news, but there's a Netflix for black people now

http://jezebel.com/the-streaming-service-brown-sugar-is-the-new-netflix-fo-1789137546

Sounds like a fun and decent thing to me, but what do I know. Literally the first/top comment is "but why can't there be a white Netflix :qq: ??" . white people why do you do this smdh

Hey I'm sorry I'm dragging up stuff from 10+ pages ago and I'm sorry if I need to eat a probation for it, but I missed out on the media chat from way back and I wanted to see what people thought about the Netflix series The Get Down. I thought it was fun, even if it was kind of corny.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

double negative posted:

Giving people passes for putting out good music or being a sick athlete is insanely dumb, much like Kanye West. My dude expended the goodwill he earned for "George Bush doesn't care about black people" years ago.

Also kinda learn to take a joke.

It's like the Dave Chappelle skit.

"Nah Man...He Made Thriller...Thriller"

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Dexo posted:

Also kinda learn to take a joke.

It's like the Dave Chappelle skit.

"Nah Man...He Made Thriller...Thriller"

Jokes are great, especially when they're funny.

I didn't quote dude because I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and keep it general, because it's a sentiment I've heard expressed sincerely today re: Kanye and recently re: Cosby, D. Rose and so on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The only Artist or athlete or famous person I can't gently caress with after them being alleged to do some gently caress poo poo is R.Kelly.

Like the music is still dope. But I just can't listen to any of his songs anymore without thinking about his pedophile rear end.

Hit me again this year when I realized that that dude was creeping in the background of the cover of Aaliyah's "Age ain't nothing but a number"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also Kanye doesn't really fit there. Like that situation is waaaaaay loving different than, Rose's, Cosby's, Kelly's, or Jackson's alleged transgressions.

Kanye is just a dumbass with bad opinions. Which sure slander away and doesn't deserve much defense. But that's lightweight compared to literal violations of the law and poo poo the others are accused of.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

This mirror's my friend's experience a lot. Her mother, Indian (I forget the tribe, I want to say Cherokee? They're in Utah) died when she was young, so she was raised by her father's side of the family, mostly racist Mormons, never let her have much contact with them.
No Cherokee in Utah. We have Ute, Paiute, Goshute and Navajo. If your friend ever wanted to do some ancestral research the Mormon side of her family might be lovely racists but they do keep excellent genealogical records and they're open to the public.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Dexo posted:

Also Kanye doesn't really fit there. Like that situation is waaaaaay loving different than, Rose's, Cosby's, Kelly's, or Jackson's alleged transgressions.

Kanye is just a dumbass with bad opinions. Which sure slander away and doesn't deserve much defense. But that's lightweight compared to literal violations of the law and poo poo the others are accused of.

I don't put Kanye on that level either, I just don't really care about how dope your album or your PPG when you're talking ignorance.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

double negative posted:

I don't put Kanye on that level either, I just don't really care about how dope your album or your PPG when you're talking ignorance.

So do you just not listen to any music ever

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I only listen to Macklemore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxwiNgPq_5M

*don't actually listen to Macklemore*

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

double negative posted:

To me it depends on the level of ignorance. Like, if you believe in healing crystals or some poo poo, whatever.

If you're like Lil Wayne saying "all lives matter" and "racism is over" or like Kanye saying "I voted for Trump", I can't gently caress with you. Some comments are more egregious than others, and if you're willing to throw your people under the bus for some fans that don't give a gently caress about you, I can't gently caress with you.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I actually only listen to 'conscious' rap, like uh

*frantically googles "rap white people like"*

Kendrick Lamar?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i accidentally clicked in here but can fortuitously answer the rap white people like question cause my wife buys kendrick lamar, and chance the rapper albums and i like them when she puts them on.
anyways have a great day

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Crane Fist posted:

Kendrick Lamar?

Why are you in this thread?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Crane Fist posted:

Kendrick Lamar?

What are you doing?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Crane Fist posted:

So do you just not listen to any music ever

negromancer posted:

To me it depends on the level of ignorance. Like, if you believe in healing crystals or some poo poo, whatever.

If you're like Lil Wayne saying "all lives matter" and "racism is over" or like Kanye saying "I voted for Trump", I can't gently caress with you. Some comments are more egregious than others, and if you're willing to throw your people under the bus for some fans that don't give a gently caress about you, I can't gently caress with you.

Yep, this right here. It's actually not hard to find amazing musicians who don't say and do terrible and/or dumb things, but ymmv depending on your taste I guess.

Honestly I'm just still tripping on Sessions right now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I never really noticed how conservative Kendrick Lamar was until I sat down and listened to some of his music.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I finally caved and listened to To Pimp a Butterfly yesterday and it was bollocks but uh on more careful consideration that joke fell completely flat and I wish I hadn't tried to make it

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm just a known idiot who knows how good US Placers is and how it exonerates Kanye of any ill-will that selling jesus' rags for $100 may have caused.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I've also been probated for talking about David Bowie's sexual assault charge after his death in a video game thread and I got so heated up about it I made a bad argument about how people were ignoring it because he was white, so like, letting sex criminals off the hook because they make good music is disgusting to me and you shouldn't do it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey chucklefuck white guys this discussion is not actually your personal playground for showing off your sick comedy skillz

Buschmaki posted:

I've also been probated for talking about David Bowie's sexual assault charge after his death in a video game thread and I got so heated up about it I made a bad argument about how people were ignoring it because he was white, so like, letting sex criminals off the hook because they make good music is disgusting to me and you shouldn't do it.

Go away

Edit: And for the rest of you please observe this lesson in how trying to wave some not-racist bonafides in here will not excuse you being an idiot rear end in a top hat. Nobody cares that one time you were allegedly less racist than you possibly could have been.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm talking about the guy who thought I was on the level of people giving a pass for Bill Cosby, which fits into my argument because he was part of my point.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Buschmaki posted:

I'm talking about the guy who thought I was on the level of people giving a pass for Bill Cosby, which fits into my argument because he was part of my point.

Go away you insufferable douchebag. This is a thread for discussing black issues, not a thread for you to piss all over and show everybody how good at pissing you are. Get the gently caress out.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think that white celebrities getting more leeway than black celebrities in America when they commit just as heinous crimes is like, a legitimate thing for this thread? I'm sorry if I'm not conveying that that's what I'm trying to post about because I don't post in D&D and have some problems with the tone.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

I'm just a known idiot who knows how good US Placers is and how it exonerates Kanye of any ill-will that selling jesus' rags for $100 may have caused.

CRS was too good for this world. This world doesn't deserve a whole project of Lupe on nothing but Ye, and Pharell beats.

blackguy32 posted:

I never really noticed how conservative Kendrick Lamar was until I sat down and listened to some of his music.

Kendrick is Conservative as gently caress, hell tons of black folk are conservative as gently caress.(except when it comes to race anyway, Like start getting into conversations about women(black women in particular) with a Black male some time. Or LGBT issues, or Taxes, or how other black people need to bootstrap themselves)

Like I love Kendrick's music, and his projects but yeah the politics behind them are just like 2-3 steps above "Pull up you pants". It's why I laugh whenever I hear someone say TPAB was him being to preachy like they didn't even listen to GKMC, which doesn't even hold a candle to the loving sermon that is Section.80

And also..

lol Most white rap fans(of the non mainstream Drake, and pop poo poo anyway) don't give a poo poo about consciousness, they are in it for the idea of experiencing blackness without the downsides of actually being black.

Pusha posted:

“I remember on the Clipse’s sophomore album, Hell Hath No Fury. And we were doing press around the album,” Pusha T said. “And the write-ups were so good. The blogs were clamoring about the Clipse. We just found our niche with that album. We found out who exactly our fans was. We started off solely in the streets. And then we sort of just found these college, white, internet monsters. We even had a name. They were called the Clipsters. Like hipsters. But it was the hipster bunch that was all about the Clipse. And they were all about us. And we embraced ‘em as well.”

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Buschmaki posted:

I think that white celebrities getting more leeway than black celebrities in America when they commit just as heinous crimes is like, a legitimate thing for this thread? I'm sorry if I'm not conveying that that's what I'm trying to post about because I don't post in D&D and have some problems with the tone.

You aren't having that discussion in good faith, you're just trying to make everything here about you and how you're so much more moral than all those nasty rap-likers. No one cares, this thread does not exist for you to get an ego-boost from the darkies.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If that's how it comes across I'm sorry, it's just incredibly awkward for me to discuss race issues on the internet with a bunch of strangers so I try and deflect some of that with humor.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm also black so please take the weird racial angle out of it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Buschmaki posted:

I'm also black so please take the weird racial angle out of it.

Oh then everything's fine then.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I can't tell if you're joking or not and I'd honestly like to know because I like the negrotown thread so if I can learn to post less disruptively I'd like to make it better.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If a rapper says something smart it's "lol who cares what a stupid rapper thinks, I pity you if you get your politics from hip and/or hop." Then if a rapper says something dumb it's the WORST THING IN THE WORLD he is RUINING OUR SOCIETY anyone who listens to his music is a MONSTER.

So basically all yall gently caress off with that grandad poo poo.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Crane Fist posted:

I finally caved and listened to To Pimp a Butterfly yesterday and it was bollocks but uh on more careful consideration that joke fell completely flat and I wish I hadn't tried to make it

I wish you weren't in this thread either.

Dexo posted:

CRS was too good for this world. This world doesn't deserve a whole project of Lupe on nothing but Ye, and Pharell beats.

Kendrick is Conservative as gently caress, hell tons of black folk are conservative as gently caress.(except when it comes to race anyway, Like start getting into conversations about women(black women in particular) with a Black male some time. Or LGBT issues, or Taxes, or how other black people need to bootstrap themselves)

Like I love Kendrick's music, and his projects but yeah the politics behind them are just like 2-3 steps above "Pull up you pants". It's why I laugh whenever I hear someone say TPAB was him being to preachy like they didn't even listen to GKMC, which doesn't even hold a candle to the loving sermon that is Section.80

And also..

lol Most white rap fans(of the non mainstream Drake, and pop poo poo anyway) don't give a poo poo about consciousness, they are in it for the idea of experiencing blackness without the downsides of actually being black.

Yes. Like when I was telling about being one of 3 black people out of 150+ at a Talib Kweli concert in Brooklyn. It was surreal; all these white people enjoying this music that's calling them out for the daily poo poo they do, completely lacking self-awareness.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

If a rapper says something smart it's "lol who cares what a stupid rapper thinks, I pity you if you get your politics from hip and/or hop." Then if a rapper says something dumb it's the WORST THING IN THE WORLD he is RUINING OUR SOCIETY anyone who listens to his music is a MONSTER.

But it's cool with rappers say cool, smart poo poo, which many of them do

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

negromancer posted:

I wish you weren't in this thread either.

Yes. Like when I was telling about being one of 3 black people out of 150+ at a Talib Kweli concert in Brooklyn. It was surreal; all these white people enjoying this music that's calling them out for the daily poo poo they do, completely lacking self-awareness.

No no, they are obviously woke, because look they are at a Talib Kweli concert! He must be referring to other white people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Meh I get someones politics turning them off of wanting to listen or watch anyone in entertainment I'm personally not like that (except for R.Kelly). But I get that mindset.

Mostly if you do some pedophile poo poo I'm not really trying to listen to you sing about how you wanna blow some chicks back out.

Just like I'm going to laugh at Kanye's dumbass when some Italian fashion magazine doesn't put his new lineup in it and he starts crying about racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

My original forums name when I joined this dumb place 13 years ago was a reference to R.Kelly being a pedophilic piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread