Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Guillermus posted:

I did a fair bit of powerstancing in DS2 but in PVE it was just more stamina usage wich in certain bosses was too dangerous. I think weapons like Valorheart, Crow Quills, warden twinblades and such are better and allow for a faster gameplay. Sure, using two smelter hammers looked hilarious but the stat investment was crazy and not that practical.

Powerstancing was quite good in some PvE circumstances because it dealt high poise damage. Everyone's seen the "mace drum solo" approach to Ruin Sentinels, but it also made powerstancing thrusting swords and/or katanas really good because they could stagger a good bit sooner together than either normally could do by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
TBH I think the only time I ever actually powerstanced anything was when I played NG+ with the red/blue smelter swords, which freakin ruled

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you parry soul greatsword when cast via a catalyst?

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Does anyone have some cool pvp stratz for the short bow? The tracking when locked on seems kinda useless - I miss people rolling right into me!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I really just want the powerstance shields back. They were the most fun and it was hilarious to squish people in pvp.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Take that concept to the max, go full Bloodborne and only allow certain items in the offhand, and make 2hand attacks generally stronger and make the 2hand movesets more variable (for example a cool suggestion I saw was for some 2handed straight / greatswords to be used half sworded, where you grip the blade with your offhand, and would make it into a faster shorter ranged thrusting moveset)
A straight sword that can transform into a super fast hitting strike weapon seems like it would lose it's uniqueness very fast when it becomes the new meta in .5 seconds of people discovering that it can do a Mordhau.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

A pommel bash weapon art on a great weapon to gently caress with shields/greatshields would be tight as hell though

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Powerstancing was slick because you could combine two similar weapon types (like swords/katanas/maces/thrusting swords/etc) and go in and out of powerstancing to have a very diverse moveset. That's the big thing I miss from DS2 that DS3 kinda fell flat for me: you have all of these weapon slots and equip load limit, but you're not as inclined to bring a panoply of different poo poo with you.

Another big thing was that you could powerstance two fairly fast weapons, open with your normal attack, and then combo into the powerstanced attacks for a much greater DPS. Instead of twelve swings with the longsword, you get the same damage in half the swings and half the time. I kinda wish DS3 just made handedness agnostic so you could backstab, use weapons, use shields and etc in either hand.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

mango sentinel posted:

My typical response to most invasions is to either run straight to the nearest boss door, or failing that, waste as much of their time as possible by just running and hiding.

thats really lame dude

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The follower's torch is fun. But it seems insanely worse in pvp. The multi damage type seems to make its dps tank. And the weapon art's ability to multi hit crowds doesn't happen. But I don't have enough twinkle tites for the onyx blade so I'm keeping at it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought the follower torch would be a cool offhand weapon but it weighs a ton so my pyromancer can't carry it with the onyx blade :geno:

I have no clue how a battle axe weighs less than a torch.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
powerstance was good because it made fist weapons great and the fact this game still doesnt have the bone fist (or the channeler's trident wtf) is a drat travesty

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Desperate Character posted:

powerstance was good because it made fist weapons great and the fact this game still doesnt have the bone fist (or the channeler's trident wtf) is a drat travesty

It has a fist weapon that has the Lariat for its weapon art, so I think that counts.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought the follower torch would be a cool offhand weapon but it weighs a ton so my pyromancer can't carry it with the onyx blade :geno:

I have no clue how a battle axe weighs less than a torch.

It's like solid metal so it makes sense at least. It's kinda neat and the weapon art is mondo good in PvE but (at least on PC at 60fps) the R1's don't even combo in PvP so it's pretty mediocre sadly. Counts as a mace so you can two-hand it for poise shenanigans at least!

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Maleh-Vor posted:

It has a fist weapon that has the Lariat for its weapon art, so I think that counts.

I just want the hadouken back because that poo poo was fun as gently caress to use

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Oh nice they added a visceral to those big tree bastards in Farron.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jordbo posted:

Does anyone have some cool pvp stratz for the short bow? The tracking when locked on seems kinda useless - I miss people rolling right into me!

I think the general PvP strat is to use any crossbow (that isn't the sniper xbow) in your off hand to have a distance option if you aren't a caster. I don't know how feasible bows are in duels (my guess is not very) but if you just mean invasions in general, you can use the greatbows to some funny effect if you can manage to position yourself in a place where you can snipe the host off a bridge or ledge and into a pit. style points++ if you cosplay as a silver knight while you do it.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Desperate Character posted:

I just want the hadouken back because that poo poo was fun as gently caress to use

*Shoryuken.

The lariat is pretty fun, and if you catch someone with the full thing, it basically one-shots them. I agree they should have more fist weapons with ridiculous weapon arts, though.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I think the general PvP strat is to use any crossbow [...]

It really is, isn't it? I'm trying out different offhand weapons to pair with the carthus greatsword while fastrolling, and I figured the short bow looked coolest. I have seen people be fairly successful with bow-only builds in duels, but I haven't really tried it out.

I'd need to put 3 (!) more levels into vitality to use the light crossbow instead, and that's just not justifiable (until I eventually give up on the short bow)!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Powerstancing is a great concept but DS2's design never really pushed me to use it much. With invincibility frames getting hosed with thanks to the adaptability stat, shields are more useful than ever, and I've always felt that I had to delay any powerstancing build I tried so that I could ratchet up the adaptability to be at a point where it I can actually dodge.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I think the general PvP strat is to use any crossbow (that isn't the sniper xbow) in your off hand to have a distance option if you aren't a caster. I don't know how feasible bows are in duels (my guess is not very) but if you just mean invasions in general, you can use the greatbows to some funny effect if you can manage to position yourself in a place where you can snipe the host off a bridge or ledge and into a pit. style points++ if you cosplay as a silver knight while you do it.

I find using any projectiles or consumables in the arena to be really frustrating because of the fact that you have to keep on buying more and more with the souls you don't have for fighting in the arena. I generally try to avoid using crossbows, bows, great bows, carthus rouge, and lloyds talismans.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Powerstancing was mostly frustrating for me because you had a single button assigned to changing stance, one/two handing, and switching actions. And you couldn't queue switching stance after rolls or attacks, so you had to visually confirm what stance you were in.

I wish you could queue more inputs in Dark Souls 3, like one/two handing after rolling or attacking, or doing Stance (and similar) attacks immediately instead of having to time the button inputs - because swear the timing is really inconsistent... And it's weird, because with Friede's scythe you can immediately do the weapon arts by quickly tapping L2->R1, but you can't do the same with Stance.

and I wish rolls didn't queue while blocking an attack, that's always embarrassing :(

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I wish they gave you some souls for winning in the arena. like maybe 500-1000 would be enough.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I'm not 120 yet on the character but I do want to try bleed infuse because popping rouge all the time doesn't seem practical. Need to find a good weapon to try it with though.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

aside from the pontiff bonfire / anor londo and the catacombs near the bridge, where else would be a fun place to do some silver knight cosplay and try sniping hosts off of ledges and narrow paths? you could have fun with the rafters in the cathedral, but I feel like not a lot of people are going up there, plus it's a lot of work to get up there on your own if the host hasn't opened the right shortcuts. maybe the bridge in the undead village, or up on the roof of the archives?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm not 120 yet on the character but I do want to try bleed infuse because popping rouge all the time doesn't seem practical. Need to find a good weapon to try it with though.

if your plan is to reach level 120 and in so doing you'll loop into at least NG+, buying all the Carthas Rouge you could ever want becomes pretty trivial; if you plan your build out, you'll reach a point where you don't have anything else to spend souls on, so why not buy a bunch of blood paste.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I've been debating the same thing on my luck build character. I'm thinking of a blood infused carthus greatsword. Thoughts anyone?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

aside from the pontiff bonfire / anor londo and the catacombs near the bridge, where else would be a fun place to do some silver knight cosplay and try sniping hosts off of ledges and narrow paths? you could have fun with the rafters in the cathedral, but I feel like not a lot of people are going up there, plus it's a lot of work to get up there on your own if the host hasn't opened the right shortcuts. maybe the bridge in the undead village, or up on the roof of the archives?

if your plan is to reach level 120 and in so doing you'll loop into at least NG+, buying all the Carthas Rouge you could ever want becomes pretty trivial; if you plan your build out, you'll reach a point where you don't have anything else to spend souls on, so why not buy a bunch of blood paste.

There's NEVER enough blood paste you can buy. You will never have an infinite supply of it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Unfortunately that character is a warrior base because I was going quality until it outed itself as boring. So I can't go below 16 str while looking at Dex/luck weapons

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

MarshyMcFly posted:

I've been debating the same thing on my luck build character. I'm thinking of a blood infused carthus greatsword. Thoughts anyone?

Blood infusion is never a good option, since you lose a lot of AR and the ability to buff. Even if you don't want to buff with Carthus Rouge, the damage penalty is far greater than the extra bleed damage you get from the infusion. The best infusion for bleed builds is Hollow.

If you really, really want a blood infused weapon, do the Bandit Knife or some other quick weapon with innate bleed and low damage. Definitely not the Carthus Greatsword - with the bleed infusion you lose around 160 AR while only gaining an extra 150 damage on bleedout, so even if you proc bleed every 3 you get an extra 150 damage but lose (160-defences)*3 damage. It just doesn't add up.

Other than that, the Carthus Curved Greatsword is excellent! Learn to love the running R1s and utilize its deceptively long reach - but watch out for parry tools in PvP! Also the one-handed jumping attack tends to go over other players' heads if you're too close, so avoid that. And go with Hollow, or Refined, and buff with Carthus Rouge if you want to get the most out of the bleed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Unfortunately that character is a warrior base because I was going quality until it outed itself as boring. So I can't go below 16 str while looking at Dex/luck weapons

Get a flamberge so you can justify having 16str (needs 15). It's a great bleed weapon that hits really hard.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Bluh, farming in ds3. But good idea.

Yeah I was thinking the bandit knife. Or maybe the paint sword, have it off hand and use it to parry and bleed through shields.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I haven't tried it, but the Claw could potentially be useful with a bleed infusion? They are absolutely awesome with Hollow + Carthus Rouge because of the weapon art, but Bleed infusion could work, especially against heavily armored enemies with lots of HP, since they do low damage per hit to begin with

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I was going to try them with the crow claws. But I dont know how the weapon art interacts with bleed.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Claws are pretty brutal at the moment. I've gotten pretty much one-shot by regular claws and their WA, and getting hit by a full Berserker Barrage from the Crow Talons seems to one-shot people a lot more consistently. It does around 1100 damage, I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRb3z-53TiM

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There is literally zero reason to use the bleed infusion. Buffing a hollow weapon with carthus rogue adds more bleed build up than the bleed infusion while not destroying the base damage. Even if you weren't using the hollow infusion though, any other infusion with carthus would be better.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

It seems some people just don't want to use Carthus Rouge, and if you're just doing PvE and casual PvP I'm sure bleed infusions work fine for a few select weapons. Hollow and Refined (especially with Carthus Rouge) are objectively better if you want opponents to die faster, but I'm sure a Bleed infused Bandit's Knife or Claw could be a fun change in pace.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I don't think it's practical in the clusterfuck of 6 person matches. In dueling it's top notch and hard to punish. But you'll probably actually run out in a brawl or team.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

That's why the Hollow infusion is so good: at 40/40/40 str/dex/luck it's pretty much equal to Refined, so when the buff runs or gets disabled you still have a very strong weapon with boosted innate bleed damage.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

There's no way you're getting 40/40/40 if you want soft cap health and endurance at meta levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Sure you can! I made a quick and super boring meta build just to illustrate - but my point was that the Hollow infusion is good even without buffs. If you didn't know, at 99 hollowing you get +5 Luck from Hollow infused weapons, +10 for two.