Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

P-Mack posted:

I remember it was mentioned a while back that Japan independently came up with countermarching pike and shot tactics at the same time as in Europe if not earlier.

The way world history is all tied together is something I wish schools and pop history would do a better job of conveying, but I dunno how to do it.

Wasn't it the Portuguese that brought firearms to Japan? Of course, Japanese quickly fell in love with the things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

JcDent posted:

Wasn't it the Portuguese that brought firearms to Japan? Of course, Japanese quickly fell in love with the things...

Dutch brought the first guns. Pavise/screens were used in the Gempei war but had fallen out of wide use when guns started showing up.

E:auto correct and phone posting sucks

DiHK fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 18, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JcDent posted:

The spirit of German kitbashing lives with... whatever this is.

British did it first.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Is that a Carden-Lloyd with a 2pdr?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's the most comprehensively failed first/preventive strike/surprise attack?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

to my mind, that's tied between two attempts by Anglos to invade their Hispanic neighbors to the southwest, by which of course i mean Bay of Pigs and this goddamn thing

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 18, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

aphid_licker posted:

Kursk?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Well, if you're playing hte long game and looking at all the consequences Barbarossa or Pearl Harbor are probably way up the list.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, if you're playing hte long game and looking at all the consequences Barbarossa or Pearl Harbor are probably way up the list.
my examples are funnier

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

It worked out for them in the end, but Prussia's sneak attack on Saxony that started the 7yw put them in an awful diplomatic position that took a lot of skill and luck to get out of.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was hoping for something in the vein of Pearl Harbor, only they hit the wrong island and also all the fuzes are of the BuOrd variety, so Cadiz is really doing it for me. Holy poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I want to take a moment to say a word or two about my German fellow-travelers Austria-Hungary and Italy. The Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia was awful initially. The Italian invasion of Greece was similarly a joke.

Strategically, 1812 invasion of Russia.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If I actually get a Taiping update done this weekend I'll have a real laffer for ya.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

I was hoping for something in the vein of Pearl Harbor, only they hit the wrong island and also all the fuzes are of the BuOrd variety, so Cadiz is really doing it for me. Holy poo poo.
everything early 17th century england tries to do on the world stage is like this

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Cadiz is pretty much when they decided the Royal Navy might have a little bit of a drinking problem as well as poor as gently caress social skills and they should do something about it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, two examples from my neck of the woods:

Serbo-Bulgarian war of 1885. Serbian king wants to show that he can play the imperialism game, orders an invasion of allied Bulgaria without a declaration of war. Complete and utter disaster.
Second Balkan war, 1913. Bulgarian tzar wants to show that he can play the imperialism game, orders an invasion of allied Serbia without a declaration of war. Complete and utter disaster.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Please go into detail. Also, invading allies, wow.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

JcDent posted:

It was apparently from a Hezbollah column that also included T-54s and Kornet missiles on quadbikes.

Someone's been watching The Delta Force a little too much, I see.

Or maybe MegaForce. :awesomelon:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my dad posted:

Well, two examples from my neck of the woods:

Serbo-Bulgarian war of 1885. Serbian king wants to show that he can play the imperialism game, orders an invasion of allied Bulgaria without a declaration of war. Complete and utter disaster.
Second Balkan war, 1913. Bulgarian tzar wants to show that he can play the imperialism game, orders an invasion of allied Serbia without a declaration of war. Complete and utter disaster.

Oh man, I forgot about Balkan War 2: Bugarian Bugaloo. That is up there for sure.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JcDent posted:

Please go into detail. Also, invading allies, wow.

Short version:
Serbo-Bulgarian War - Serbia helps Bulgarian revolutionaries. In the meantime, Serbia becomes a dictatorship and a puppet of the Habsburgs via our rear end in a top hat king's policies, our democrats revolt, our democrats get crushed by the army, and our democrats flee to Bulgaria. Bulgaria finally manages to unify its two halves in one state, Habsburgs aren't fans of this and encourage our king to invade Bulgaria, and seeing it a way to show off his imperialism boner and get his hands on the renegade democrats, he does so. The war starts without a declaration, Serbian soldiers are told that they're actually fighting the Ottomans, half the army remains at home because the people hated the king's guts, the king tells his general-staff to step aside so that he can personally lead, and, oh, yeah, Bulgaria had an army that had just finished kicking the poo poo out of the Ottomans and was absolutely not a pushover. The only reason Serbia wasn't crushed afterwards is Habsburg intervention.

Second Balkan War - Complicated politics after the First Balkan War, but long story short, Bulgaria wasn't happy about the results. The Bulgarians tzar decides this can only be fixed by war, and Bulgarian army invades Serbia in the middle of the night without a declaration of war. The attack fails, and Bulgaria is caught in a really, really bad situation and dogpiled by all of its neighbors with predictable results.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kinda explains why Civ is getting more into the cassus beli territory

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phanatic posted:

British did it first.

E:

Apparently there is very little the Germans won't try to glue onto a bren carrier.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Kursk was the least surprising surprise attack in history

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How many Bren carriers do ypu have weld together to get an 88mm carrier?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what Tigers actually were, they just tied several of them together and then put a big sheet metal tea cosy over the whole affair.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

How many Bren carriers do ypu have weld together to get an 88mm carrier?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

OwlFancier posted:

E:

Apparently there is very little the Germans won't try to glue onto a bren carrier.
The slant of it makes it look like it's folding down.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh my God those are adorable. :swoon:

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

aphid_licker posted:

Central Powers, 1914.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey, milhist thread. Have a kind of wacky theory but I figure someone here may know the answer. 88 is a common white supremacist/nazi shibboleth for "Heil Hitler." Was the Flak 88 made/invented by Nazis?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, milhist thread. Have a kind of wacky theory but I figure someone here may know the answer. 88 is a common white supremacist/nazi shibboleth for "Heil Hitler." Was the Flak 88 made/invented by Nazis?

Literally by Hitler himself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Made, yes, invented possibly not, it was designed in 1928, there's also the Flak 16 which is very similar and that was a first world war gun.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 18, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OwlFancier posted:

E:

It's called universal for a reason!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

yes but that isn't the reason, H is the 8th letter of the alphabet so HH = 88

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Just a coincidence. I think 88/HH is a fairly modern thing anyway.

Also "Flak 88" is not the proper name, the family of guns consists of the Flak 18, Flak 36, and Flak 37.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
8.8 cm was just a pretty common caliber in the German navy from the 19th century. WWI capital ships used it as an anti-aircraft gun. Just a co-incidence.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_Main.php#Smaller_Caliber_and_Anti-Aircraft_Guns

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Fangz posted:

8.8 cm was just a pretty common caliber in the German navy from the 19th century. WWI capital ships used it as an anti-aircraft gun. Just a co-incidence.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_Main.php#Smaller_Caliber_and_Anti-Aircraft_Guns

88mm was just the reich caliber for the job. :hitler:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm not sure if calling them 88s is a wartime thing or postwar thing, though. Either way, it's the calibre, so I expect convergent evolution.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

spectralent posted:

I'm not sure if calling them 88s is a wartime thing or postwar thing, though. Either way, it's the calibre, so I expect convergent evolution.

US troops frequently referred to German artillery as '88s during the war, often without any knowledge of the types of guns actually shooting at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

MANime in the sheets posted:

US troops frequently referred to German artillery as '88s during the war, often without any knowledge of the types of guns actually shooting at them.

Yeah, mass media iconography is a hell of a thing. Nowadays, people are still convinced that every German artillery piece was a flak gun.