Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Turdfuzz posted:

jfc why am i not dead what is taking trump so loving long god this is boring

He has to come for the Mexicans, Blacks, and LGBTs first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Schnorkles posted:

There is presumably a case where the republicans will go nuclear, but it's probably not over Jeff Sessions.

i wonder what the internal struggle is between like the more "moderate" Rs who look at things longer term than the new tea party/freedom caucus/trumpist types who want to burn it all down and don't care the precedent it would set to go nuclear on everything

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

showbiz_liz posted:

So uh my NGO provides criminal legal aid to people in predominantly Muslim countries including Palestine and Afghanistan, and a big chunk of our funding comes from the US State Dept

Kinda hoping they just don't notice we exist for the next few years

lol

you better hope Big Boss starts rescuing Muslims for you, cause the State Department is gonna start telling you to rig em up with bombs

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

DrProsek posted:

He has to come for the Mexicans, Blacks, and LGBT

Qs first.

showbiz_liz posted:

So uh my NGO provides criminal legal aid to people in predominantly Muslim countries including Palestine and Afghanistan, and a big chunk of our funding comes from the US State Dept

Kinda hoping they just don't notice we exist for the next few years

you might wanna find a sugar daddy

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Karl Sharks posted:

i wonder what the internal struggle is between like the more "moderate" Rs who look at things longer term than the new tea party/freedom caucus/trumpist types who want to burn it all down and don't care the precedent it would set to go nuclear on everything

In the senate, probably not much of a debate at all. Even Ted Cruz isn't necessarily in favor of taking away the fillibuster to try and repeal something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

The r's could do any number of things to try and force through trump's confirmations re: the senate, but it requires them actually taking the steps. Right now the dems can just deny 60 and the R's can say "They're being so obstructionist!!" without taking any heat themselves.

The democrats will probably not fight 99% of the executive branch appointment other than drag them thru the mud at the confirmation hearings.

Scouts is a lost cause

If I were the Dems I'd do everything possible to keep the filibuster to have some influence so we don't get super crazy poo poo like abolishing collective bargaining or repealing the department of education or eliminating capital gains taxes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Karl Sharks posted:

This is why we may still have a filibuster for legislative acts. ( not budget reconciliation or courts tho)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Karl Sharks posted:

We'll see Old Turtle's shell grow larger and larger until his face is continually obscured.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 18, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DrProsek posted:

He has to come for the Mexicans, Blacks, and LGBTs first.

you forgot the Muslims

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

The fillibuster is not going anywhere for legislation.

Whether or not there's rule changes for appointments is up in the air imo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Karl Sharks posted:

Do things like "setting a precedent" even exist in federal politics anymore.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The fact that the republicans unconstitutional refusal to appoint a SCOTUS judge worked for them is infuriating.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Do things like "setting a precedent" even exist in federal politics anymore.

Yeah

You don't have to fill vacant Supreme Court seats anymore . That's new.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BonoMan posted:

Oh speaking of strife in my company. Apparently some of the farther right folks have been screen shotting facebook posts by liberal employees and sending them to upper management screaming that it's hurting our company.

lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Covok posted:

The fact that the republicans unconstitutional refusal to appoint a SCOTUS judge worked for them is infuriating.

I'd actually forgotten about this until like 3 days after the election. it was an incredibly stupid move that somehow succeeded when no one thought it could. get ready for a 9-0 court yall

not like it'll matter because in 2018 the Republicans are going to take enough state houses to just add like 30 amendments

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

McConnell knows that touching the filibuster is a bad idea. Harry Reid will return one day to the floor, not as a senator but a civilian, and shove the rules without the filibuster up McConnell's rear end.

If there's one thing McConnell fears, it's Harry Reid.

Then again, I think we all should.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Discord link for those who wanted it: https://discord.gg/MNQrXAc

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

euphronius posted:

Yeah

You don't have to fill vacant Supreme Court seats anymore . That's new.

wonder who trump is going to appoint.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

two outcomes here
1) Dems dig in their heels and do everything they can to make trump's agenda fail, hold their ground in 2018 and retake wh in 2020 against the least popular president in history
2) Dems roll over, get wiped in 2018, run a milquetoast in 2020 and lose a blatantly stolen/hacked election, then retake in 2024 when the country has been so turbofucked that a soggy biscuit could win with a D next to their name

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Turdfuzz posted:

jfc why am i not dead what is taking trump so loving long god this is boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKC21wDarBo

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

you forgot the Muslims

His supporters are already coming for them so we still need to wait for them to finish up there before they start coming for the rest.

(:downs: I knew I forgot some major group Trump doesn't like)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

iospace posted:

McConnell knows that touching the filibuster is a bad idea. Harry Reid will return one day to the floor, not as a senator but a civilian, and shove the rules without the filibuster up McConnell's rear end.

If there's one thing McConnell fears, it's Harry Reid.

Then again, I think we all should.

the filibuster has the advantage of keeping anti-donor class stuff in check, and can prevent complete meltdown scenarios. they also now get to point to the democrats and call them obstructionists. they'll probably keep it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

wonder who trump is going to appoint.

The youngest and hot test graduate of liberty university law school

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

anime was right posted:

the filibuster has the advantage of keeping anti-donor class stuff in check, and can prevent complete meltdown scenarios. they also now get to point to the democrats and call them obstructionists. they'll probably keep it.

Repealing it also requires 50 republican senators to also say "Oh hey I'd like to limit my own individual power" and that's why it will always be a tall order for any party to get rid of it entirely.

appointments are a bit different, but i think the current status quo is likely.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

two outcomes here
1) Dems dig in their heels and do everything they can to make trump's agenda fail, hold their ground in 2018 and retake wh in 2020 against the least popular president in history
2) Dems roll over, get wiped in 2018, run a milquetoast in 2020 and lose a blatantly stolen/hacked election, then retake in 2024 when the country has been so turbofucked that a soggy biscuit could win with a D next to their name

3) Republicans get enough state governments in 2018 to start passing constitutional amendments to the effect of "Outlaw the democratic party forever" and that's the end of the USA. GG.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Inglonias posted:

3) Republicans get enough state governments in 2018 to start passing constitutional amendments to the effect of "Outlaw the democratic party forever" and that's the end of the USA. GG.

you're missing a key thing about constitutional amendments here that you should go look up

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Covok posted:

it's actually fairly impressive and demonstrates something the GOP long ago learned: electorate doesn't gaf about political theater

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

what the gently caress

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

two outcomes here

3) Republican supermajority overturns 22nd Amendment, a thousand years of darkness
4) Republican supermajority damages voting rights and gerrymandering to the point where even an overwhelmingly liberal electorate wouldn't be able to stop them
5) Trump orders a nuclear strike over a tweet and we all die
6) Trump orders a nuclear strike over a tweet and we get a military coup d'état
7) literally anything could happen at this point

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Schnorkles posted:

you're missing a key thing about constitutional amendments here that you should go look up

Is it this thing?

quote:

A proposed amendment becomes part of the Constitution as soon as it is ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States). When the OFR verifies that it has received the required number of authenticated ratification documents, it drafts a formal proclamation for the Archivist to certify that the amendment is valid and has become part of the Constitution. This certification is published in the Federal Register and U.S. Statutes at Large and serves as official notice to the Congress and to the Nation that the amendment process has been completed.

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
the folks who aren't very worried about the future know that this will be survivable for them, if morally objectionable. for those targeted, this is a life or death catastrophe.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So all of my earlier cautious optimism is out the window, every waking moment and the Trump presidency becomes more horrifying, corrupt and non-sensical.

It's going to be a very, very dark 4 years. :(

Is there any hope that Republican's come to their senses and realize that Trump is going to harm the country and the party for decades if they don't put a stop to him, drag him through investigation after investigation and block all of his nominees?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/ObsoleteDogma/status/799683855879962629

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

two outcomes here

3) Donald launches a nuke against another nuclear power, smug in the belief that no one would dare retaliate against him

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Ship yards? Yeah gently caress roads and the electric grid and poo poo, we're gonna build boats!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

3) Republican supermajority overturns 22nd Amendment, a thousand years of darkness
4) Republican supermajority damages voting rights and gerrymandering to the point where even an overwhelmingly liberal electorate wouldn't be able to stop them
5) Trump orders a nuclear strike over a tweet and we all die
6) Trump orders a nuclear strike over a tweet and we get a military coup d'état
7) literally anything could happen at this point

8) Republican supermajority damages voting rights/bans the Dems. Americans launch Protracted People's War.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

He's definitely on the mark about the 1930's.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

economic nationalists :whitewater:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

DrProsek posted:

8) Republican supermajority damages voting rights/bans the Dems. Americans launch Protracted People's War.

I can see a long-lasting Irish Troubles sort of situation happening tbh :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Economic nationalism

Edit: damb u vs

• Locked thread