Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
like it feels like democrats care more about the spectacle of marketing than actually developing poo poo that resonates and motivates audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

don't underestimate the power of football in the south

hillary could've won Alabama if she showed up to speak in Tuscaloosa in a houndstooth cap

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

louisiana state democrats convinced the republicans in the legislature to work w/ them on fixing the gaping holes in the budget that jindal left b/c it would've shut down the state gov't which includes LSU and therefore tiger football

they'll hafta do it again next year too

gently caress this is a good idea

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
The dems not capitalizing on the NC Republican state house taking away their NCAA championship games is a testament to how hosed we really are.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

anime was right posted:

like it feels like democrats care more about the spectacle of marketing than actually developing poo poo that resonates and motivates audiences.

democrats should care about one thing: winning

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Fullhouse posted:

hillary could've won Alabama if she showed up to speak in Tuscaloosa in a houndstooth cap

b-b-but sports are toxic masculinity for dumb unwokes

Boomer Sooners!

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

honestly, we should be arguing for keeping up amiable international relations because of the Olympics. becoming too antagonistic and isolationist could put our nationalist dick measuring competition in danger!

too bad Trump won't have to deal with one until the end of his term though.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

gently caress this is a good idea

well it's not like they're actually raising taxes on business or anything that jindal hosed super hard but it's a good start

this time around they had to have two special legislative sessions to do it after the first one got gridlocked, so i'm wondering how good that leverage actually is and will be next year

but yea "shut down the government" doesn't sound great when it affects precious foobaw

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

comingafteryouall posted:

so you're saying we're getting a military coup?

Much like Bernie says "We need-ah political REVOHLUTUION in this country!". This organization would be about advocating for using the military for furthering progressive causes and making the world a better place instead of bombing poor people in third world countries. Trump is 100% going to gently caress over the military and veterans and there needs to be a voice saying "Join the democrats and we won't send you to die or take away your benefits. We will help you no matter where you live". Ultimately D.C. based liberal military people despise incompetence and progressives seem to be one of the few groups that don't have their heads up their asses.

EDIT: If anyone has any suggestions for how retired generals/admirals could help advocate the progressive cause feel free to post them or send them to me.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

EDIT: If anyone has any suggestions for how retired generals/admirals could help advocate the progressive cause feel free to post them or send them to me.

get them to use their connections to stop donald trump from nuking us all

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at LSU people can circumvent the school itself and directly donate to the foobaw team

i imagine it's the same for the other handful of actually profitable collegiate sport programs

Literally every school FBS on down has that. Even most high schools that aren't sports factories have booster clubs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fullhouse posted:

Woulda lost the Auburn vote.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fiction posted:

get them to use their connections to stop donald trump from nuking us all

lol

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

the football players are labor

the NCAA/coaching staff are the capitalists

bam, easy way to relate to normal americans. just have some football players come out and tell their stories of being exploited, talk about "man, doesn't this story sound familiar to some of y'all? doesn't this sound like the health insurance company not giving aunt thelma that surgery she needed? doesn't this sound like your boss not giving you any time off?"

of course, many people will just talk about how the football players are getting a free education and should be grateful for their scholarships instead of whining.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, I think you can safely write off military support unless Trump somehow manages to screw up the "fellate the military furiously" section of the despot playbook.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Thoguh posted:

Woulda lost the Auburn vote.

can't win em all

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

OAquinas posted:

Ugh. My local dem meeting is on thanksgiving. Somehow, I doubt they're actually going to meet then.

You'd think they'd see that and reschedule.

Oh, they've already rescheduled, and the chair sent out an email from his hotmail account to a mailing list they started on six years ago and never updated.

Similar thing happened in my district, I didn't know until I showed up. The county even spent money to send letters to people asking them to come in on the wrong day.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Venom Snake posted:

Much like Bernie says "We need-ah political REVOHLUTUION in this country!". This organization would be about advocating for using the military for furthering progressive causes and making the world a better place instead of bombing poor people in third world countries. Trump is 100% going to gently caress over the military and veterans and there needs to be a voice saying "Join the democrats and we won't send you to die or take away your benefits. We will help you no matter where you live". Ultimately D.C. based liberal military people despise incompetence and progressives seem to be one of the few groups that don't have their heads up their asses.

i imagine they would be better at rural non-coastal outreach

if they could support prog dems in redder areas that could help a lot

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, I think you can safely write off military support unless Trump somehow manages to screw up the "fellate the military furiously" section of the despot playbook.

It's a gigantic institution with people from many backgrounds, some of which are from the coasts and some who went to pretty liberal universities. Maybe a majority aren't progressives, but it's silly to discount all military members because of some dumb stereotype.

Additionally, while I think it's fair to say that domestic issues should be front and center right now, defense and foreign policy aren't things that the Democratic party can just ignore while we get our poo poo together here.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Trump is reprehensible but was lawfully elected. There's not going to be any huge coup or anything against him because America respects institutions. The presidency came before him and the presidency will outlast him and the people acting hysterical (not in this thread, just in general) need to slow their roll. Tearing down the legitimacy of our government just because somebody you don't like was elected is a terrible long term plan.

Same with the faithless elector thing. I didn't vote for Trump and find him utterly reprehensible but I'd be one of the people rioting in the streets if they install somebody else as President.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Quit being a pussy

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bump_fn posted:

i imagine they would be better at rural non-coastal outreach

if they could support prog dems in redder areas that could help a lot

That's the plan! Out reach to area's that people haven't gone to before. The places were veterans suffer the most isn't NOVA. It's out in the midwest and rural area's of the US.

OAquinas posted:

There aren't a lot of retired liberal high level military people. But they aren't going to sit by and let Trump and the GOP get away with w/e the gently caress they want.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Trump is reprehensible but was lawfully elected. There's not going to be any huge coup or anything against him because America respects institutions. The presidency came before him and the presidency will outlast him and the people acting hysterical (not in this thread, just in general) need to slow their roll. Tearing down the legitimacy of our government just because somebody you don't like was elected is a terrible long term plan.

Same with the faithless elector thing. I didn't vote for Trump and find him utterly reprehensible but I'd be one of the people rioting in the streets if they install somebody else as President.

yeah, but on the other hand there's a pretty big feeling that Trump made a mockery of the whole presidential process and is ready to attack people's civil rights. So let them freak out a bit it's a healthy reaction to this election.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Venom Snake posted:

Anyone familiar with 'Cyberspace is the fifth domain of warfare' business? If we developed a cyberwarfare branch a la the Marines -- fuse NSA and Army Cyber or something -- could that held insulate the public from being on the receiving end of a surveillance/control infrastructure? Would there be a posse comitatus angle?

(Yes, I'm just spitballing an idea here)

Edit: Working-age pensioners as an approximate study group for UBI effects?

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Nov 18, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

Anyone familiar with 'Cyberspace is the fifth domain of warfare' business? If we developed a cyberwarfare branch a la the Marines -- fuse NSA and Army Cyber or something -- could that held insulate the public from being on the receiving end of a surveillance/control infrastructure? Would there be a posse comitatus angle?

(Yes, I'm just spitballing an idea here)

Edit: Military pensioners as a study group for UBI effects?

Good ideas. But I was more looking for basic things that you could talk about in a stump speech.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Venom Snake posted:

That's the plan! Out reach to area's that people haven't gone to before. The places were veterans suffer the most isn't NOVA. It's out in the midwest and rural area's of the US.

There aren't a lot of retired liberal high level military people. But they aren't going to sit by and let Trump and the GOP get away with w/e the gently caress they want.

Probably a dumb question, but if you're sending generals and other military people out to rural areas, are they going under the democratic party banner or through some third party pac type deal? Maybe I'm overthinking it but I bet you get better response to General Happablap if the speech is organized by "Veterans for a better America" etc

Venom Snake posted:

Good ideas. But I was more looking for basic things that you could talk about in a stump speech.

Acknowledging the global superiority of American armed forces and pivoting to something like the CCC? Like from a "we have enough swords let's get some ploughshares in this poo poo" angle

slicing up eyeballs has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Nov 18, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

anyone posted this yet: https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/11/donald-trump-election-hillary-clinton-election-night-inequality-republicans-trumpism/

some truly great writing.

quote:

You may have been wrong. Few were right, and those that were tended to belong to the repellent, remorseless core of Trump’s chickenshit klavern. The worst people in the country won. I see no point in false optimism or silver linings here; this is seriously hosed up.

quote:

That this winning candidate is also one of the biggest assholes on the face of the Earth, an authoritarian fraud who might destroy the world, is irrelevant. Find me a self-proclaimed “rational voter,” and I will show you a liar. A vote for Trump was not some endlessly reasoned and debated decision for many American voters — but an impulsive one.

Many Trump voters went for him for simple reasons that ran a gamut: they didn’t know what else to do, they were fearful, they were entitled, they were angry and embittered, they were racist and malicious, they were confused and without malice, they were ignorant, they were not ignorant — they do not accept life in America as it is today, and they will vote, if courted, for the one guy willing to walk through life as a six foot upraised middle finger to everything known and despised. Maybe some of his promises will come true — and failing that, at least we sent a big “gently caress you” up the flagpole.

quote:

For electoral reasons, the Democrats must pretend they care about ordinary people’s well-being — that they are not a party of capital, as the Republicans obviously are. How ironic it was then that Trump’s message, which occasionally cut against the grain of typical GOP messaging, occupied their usual terrain: paeans to manufacturing, to the resurrection of American industry, to vague, all-inclusive health care, under a system in which “I will not allow people to die on the sidewalks and streets of our country.” Marry this to a virulent program of murder, deportation, and scapegoating, and you have the makings of a pretty decent dictator.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Venom Snake posted:

Maybe protect tricare and come at it from the vet healthcare issue? Private insurance is about to become a lot more predatory, and being a vet is basically a pre-existing condition.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Probably a dumb question, but if you're sending generals and other military people out to rural areas, are they going under the democratic party banner or through some third party pac type deal? Maybe I'm overthinking it but I bet you get better response to General Happablap if the speech is organized by "Veterans for a better America" etc

Yeah it's going to be a group not explicitly democratic, but more "Hey were generals and were progressive".

OAquinas posted:

Maybe protect tricare and come at it from the vet healthcare issue? Private insurance is about to become a lot more predatory, and being a vet is basically a pre-existing condition.

Exactly.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Top City Homo posted:

when neoliberals dog whistle about inflation they are actually talking about rising labor costs :ssh:

inflation is actually driven by increase in economic rent and higher pricing of goods and services (profit extraction)

cheers

Hang on a second. Inflation is driven by increases in the money supply. QE has pumped tons of money in the economy, and while its true policy makers have done everything to keep inflation down, you can't do that forever. Inflation has to hit sometime. I don't think it's going to stay quiet with a trillion dollars of infrastructure stimulus floating around.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Any of them willing to address mental health? If the military changes its attitude then America might, too. Veteran suicide rates are 20%+ higher than the general public's so this is important even in isolation.

Right now, the dominant paradigm is that mental health does not exist. What exists is strength or weakness and the presence or absence of intrinsic defect.

The brain generates the mind the and the brain is made out of meat. It is three and a half pounds of pinkish-grey flesh with the consistency of flan. That poo poo's delicate and prone to all manner of malfunction.

I'm not good at talking points but you can see what I'm getting at.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Dem strategy should just be to parry every Trumpian poo poo sandwich to come down the line with the progressive alternative. Nothing fancy.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
seconded, a military guy talking about mental health as a way to talk about healthcare in general would prob help a lot

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Also, Global Warming as National Security.

'Emissions Cuts protect American Lives'

'Environmentalism stops Wars'

Again, I'm bad with talking points but I think there's great angles here if they're up for taking the heat

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I'm not sure what branches they are from, but in the Midwest non-military people are most familiar with and generally have high respect for the US Army Corps of Engineers. Cities and towns are usually alongside rivers, and rivers flood. The Army Engineers are always pretty involved with the rescue efforts and cleanups in the worse cases, and general maintenance of flood walls along major rivers like the Mississippi and Missouri. They've also done work with environmental cleanup and such along with the EPA. So if people need an example of how the military can be used to help the country in peacetime, there is one that people in the Midwest are very familiar with.

Of course, that is another issue where gently caress YOU MIDWEST comes into play: funding for levees and flood walls is allocated based on "a ratio that compares the cost of a project with the value of property being protected." Coastal Cities of course score much higher because the property values are higher.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Again, I'm bad with talking points but I think there's great angles here if they're up for taking the heat

A good argument to be made is that Syria exploded and helped launch ISIS after an historic drought hit. But that isn't very speech-snappy.

Which is kind of the Democratic Party problem in a nutshell: "Our solutions don't fit on bumper stickers"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Accretionist posted:

Lol Martin O'Malley actually tried that tack during his primary run.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

"climate change makes the world unsafe" doesn't seem like too hard of a slogan

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fullhouse posted:

"climate change makes the world unsafe" doesn't seem like too hard of a slogan

Any slogan where you are reminding people of problems without offering solutions, however trite, is not a good slogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
global warming is a myth *rolls coal*

• Locked thread