Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FiftySeven posted:

In regards to your bit in the spoilers:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/09/jeremy-clarkson-angers-neighbours-by-blowing-up-his-4m-farmhouse-during-local-village-funeral-6118802/ I am willing to bet that this might be somewhat related...

This is why I knew what the result of final timed laps would be, or at least had a pretty good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

IndianaZoidberg posted:

On Amazon (atleast when watching it on a computer) they have something called "X-Ray". Its basicly trivia throughout the episode about whats on screen at that moment. I didn't notice it my first go around but its just another reason to rewatch it!

How do you keep it always on?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah was some good poo poo. Cringey in the hands of these guys is easy to deal with, when you have cringe without these guys you get a bad show.

I especially liked the bit with Clarkson 22 minutes in with the neato peel-away of the cars as he explained them.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I wasn't a fan of most of the gimmicks in this episode but I am going to assume they were just to explain the show and future episodes will be more focused. I'm really looking forward to episode 2. UHD streaming seemed to work fine for me but I think this was the first thing I've watched in UHD and it's going to take some getting used to as it looked kinda video game-y.

matthew j
Nov 29, 2009

do work son.

keevo posted:

I thought it was funny at first but just kept going on and on. I am curious as to how they were able to get the Ferrari the Ferrari, the P1, and the Spyder on the same track and racing against each other. I thought none of the manufacturers would allow it?

I was wondering why they didn't have the
One: 1 in there. Maybe Koenigsegg wouldn't participate or something, it'd be weird if GT didn't try to get that car with those others. I was disappointed to not see it.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

uPen posted:

They do this for movies and non Amazon tv shows as well, it's really neat.

They were definitely written by the team for this one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

matthew j posted:

One: 1 in there. Maybe Koenigsegg wouldn't participate or something, it'd be weird if GT didn't try to get that car with those others. I was disappointed to not see it.

Well, we knew it would be these three or nothing; the whole last season of TG was a series of teases and pratfalls as they tried desperately to get the drat thing organized. Making it actually happen for their inaugural show is a huge Clarkson smugface to the world.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So was I imagining it or did the car radio at the very beginning mention Chris Evans' contract not being renewed?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

matthew j posted:

The One:1 is both not a hybrid and also not really a production car (only 7 built).

The Regera is more in line with these three, and I don't think it's started selling yet. At any rate, they're only building 80 of those.

Koenigsegg is an awesome company, but I don't think they're even aiming to be a name on the scale of Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren. Christian just wants to build batshit cars that do things no other manufacturer would even dream of, like a hybrid with the gas engine connected via direct drive that can spin the wheels at 160 mph or camless valve actuation and probably at some point anti-matter generators instead of batteries or some poo poo.

Pham Nuwen posted:

So was I imagining it or did the car radio at the very beginning mention Chris Evans' contract not being renewed?

Given that it was showing Clarkson's "firing," and that he was technically not fired but instead just had his contract not renewed due to the convenient timing (which is why they can make the joke about him being the only one who had never been fired), it's probably a story about Clarkson.

Edit: Also, Evans had a 3-series contract, and just left. He might have been sternly asked to leave, but he left, and I think the BBC ate the cost of the still ongoing contract.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 18, 2016

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

FiftySeven posted:

Right now there are executives at the BBC with guns in their mouths, I guarantee it.

I enjoyed the hell out of that, I cant wait to see how The Guardian tries to claim it bombed.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/18/burning-petrol-and-cash-the-grand-tour-begins

The Guardian itself isn't being negative but oh boy are the readers in the comments incensed. Doubt it will be long before hand wringing think pieces come along though.

Going to be watching it tonight after I get home from work, from the looks of posts here I'm looking forward to it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Utterly and completely breathtaking in 4k with HDR.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That was thoroughly enjoyable, and I'm drat glad there's eleven more coming this season alone.

Bezos must be laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

keevo posted:

How do you keep it always on?

I AirPlay'ed the episode from the Amazon Video app on my iPad to my AppleTV. So while the show was playing on my TV, the app showed the various trivia bits.

And I gotta say the show looked stunning even on a regular non-4K/UHD HDTV.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ludicro posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/18/burning-petrol-and-cash-the-grand-tour-begins

The Guardian itself isn't being negative but oh boy are the readers in the comments incensed. Doubt it will be long before hand wringing think pieces come along though.

Going to be watching it tonight after I get home from work, from the looks of posts here I'm looking forward to it.

Jesus Christ those commenters are unusually eager to complain, is blaming stuff for Brexit the new Thanks Obama or something?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

So freaking awesome. It's great to have top gear I mean, grand tour back. Also I think the celebrity bit was to say that it's not a segment coming back. The timing was too impeccable. As soon as they mentioned it I was all "Ah gently caress, really? Better get ready to fast forward " and I'm so glad I didn't. The only thing I didn't like is the American continuing to talk after the greased string line. Give him one phase to say and then shut him up.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I didn't even watch most of the last 2 seasons of Top Gear, but I definitely enjoyed this. As mentioned before, it was extremely indulgent, but they looked like they had fun and the cinematics were the best of the best, as I had hoped Andy wilman would have brought over.

Now the important part was the beautiful young woman behind Clarkson in the tent shots.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
God that was fun. And that new track of theirs looks insane.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

DJ Commie posted:

I didn't even watch most of the last 2 seasons of Top Gear, but I definitely enjoyed this. As mentioned before, it was extremely indulgent, but they looked like they had fun and the cinematics were the best of the best, as I had hoped Andy wilman would have brought over.

Now the important part was the beautiful young woman behind Clarkson in the tent shots.

Dude in the tie with her was an Amazon exec. No one else in the world was wearing a shirt & tie in the desert in 85 degree temps.

My wife & I were in quite a few of the crowd shots. Pretty fun to see the show after all the sausage-being-made part.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Fantastic program. I'm so happy it's back on. Watched it with my boy!

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

gret posted:

I AirPlay'ed the episode from the Amazon Video app on my iPad to my AppleTV. So while the show was playing on my TV, the app showed the various trivia bits.
That is a kind of modern world awesome in itself, literally.

I'm not able to see the show before tomorrow night but from what you all say it's going to be a treat, I'm sure :)

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
The film crew is seriously the best in the industry, like every shot was beautiful. The studio bits were dragging on a bit, but the montage of things to expect during the series has me aching for next week's episode already. I ache for high definition slow motion footage of a chally2 throwing 120mm HESH at the losing car of some absurd challenge.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

RillAkBea posted:

Jesus Christ those commenters are unusually eager to complain, is blaming stuff for Brexit the new Thanks Obama or something?

The hilarious thing about that is that Clarkson and May definitely voted remain. Not so sure about Hammond but I doubt that he would vote for Brexit when it would make his working life much much harder.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
That was absolutely brilliant, with only a few minor exceptions, for example I hope that American test driver isn't really the one they have permanently, he wasn't particularly amusing.

In any case, glad to see Top Gear back. Love the tent set.

For reference, their new track is here.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 18, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ApathyGifted posted:

The Regera is more in line with these three, and I don't think it's started selling yet. At any rate, they're only building 80 of those.

Koenigsegg is an awesome company, but I don't think they're even aiming to be a name on the scale of Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren. Christian just wants to build batshit cars that do things no other manufacturer would even dream of, like a hybrid with the gas engine connected via direct drive that can spin the wheels at 160 mph or camless valve actuation and probably at some point anti-matter generators instead of batteries or some poo poo.

I hope they'll have the Regera on TGT once it's ready. It's just about the maddest supercar ever made.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FiftySeven posted:

The hilarious thing about that is that Clarkson and May definitely voted remain. Not so sure about Hammond but I doubt that he would vote for Brexit when it would make his working life much much harder.

Yeah, they literally made a PSA saying "please vote remain" and tweeted about it several times.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dear Top "So-Called" Gear,

:dunkedon:

Sincerely,

:smuggo: , :chord: and :haw:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I liked the gt. Only part that was cringey was the in studio with the celebrity and that segment. But who knows maybe they were just messing with top gear format.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

In studio stuff was a little bit cumbersome but overall it was pretty good. I think it'll smooth out as time goes on.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I liked the gt. Only part that was cringey was the in studio with the celebrity and that segment. But who knows maybe they were just messing with top gear format.

I think that was their way of confirming that SIARPC was totally BBC's doing and they hated it and know their audience hates it too. I doubt they'll end up with celebrity segments going forward.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they could still do a celeb every once in a while but not in the studio.......just have them ride along at a track and chat for a bit and make them barf a'la Sabine.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Really good show, glad it's back. Echoing the thoughts that the celebrity bit was just a spoof to say that bit is dead (good)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

In studio stuff was a little bit cumbersome but overall it was pretty good. I think it'll smooth out as time goes on.

I seem to remember them talking in an interview about how they all loved the tent idea until they had to actually do it, at which point it dawned on them what a huge pain in the rear end it was to set up a new "studio" over and over again.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Studio segments weren't amazing but compared to the So-Called-Top-Gear and American Top Gear it was great.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sean10mm posted:

I seem to remember them talking in an interview about how they all loved the tent idea until they had to actually do it, at which point it dawned on them what a huge pain in the rear end it was to set up a new "studio" over and over again.

I liked the big decorative Home Depot indoor ceiling fans dangling by wires from the top of the tent. How would that even work if they turned them on?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They could just set up a permanent base at Buttonwillow or somewhere else in SoCal and do the road shows in a few other locations (UK, SA, AUS, etc).

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
That was entertainment.

ETA: Shout out to the bird at 47:37

mythadile fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 18, 2016

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Is there a way to compare the viewership numbers for this vs Evansgear? Is it even going to be possible since one is streaming only and the other is aired on the BBC?

Soda Addict
Apr 19, 2003
Insert Something Here

CornHolio posted:

Is there a way to compare the viewership numbers for this vs Evansgear? Is it even going to be possible since one is streaming only and the other is aired on the BBC?

Andy Wilman said that Amazon won't release the viewing numbers to them.

Soda Addict fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 18, 2016

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Keyser S0ze posted:

They could just set up a permanent base at Buttonwillow or somewhere else in SoCal and do the road shows in a few other locations (UK, SA, AUS, etc).

No, because a permanent base is one of the things they've joked about being too similar to Top Gear.
http://jalopnik.com/the-grand-tour-had-to-take-tons-of-precautions-to-avoid-1788379688

That's why their racing car driver was in a suit covered in decals and talked all the time. The Stig wears white and doesn't talk.

Top Gear has presenters come on the show for an interview and a few laps. Grand Tour has celebrities dying by the handful.

They are making Bizarro-Top Gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The fat American driver needs to shut the gently caress up because he wasn't funny in the slightest. Alternately he can be this show's Jason Dawe