Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kenner116
May 15, 2009

Dems were going to lose a lot of seats in 2010 regardless who was in charge. 2006 and 2008 were huge Dem wins due to Bush unpopularity. Midterms are usually bad for incumbent president's party plus 2010 was right after pushing through a controversial health care law. Tea party really took off that year and conservatives were motivated while liberals were complacent as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

kenner116 posted:

Dems were going to lose a lot of seats in 2010 regardless who was in charge. 2006 and 2008 were huge Dem wins due to Bush unpopularity. Midterms are usually bad for incumbent president's party plus 2010 was right after pushing through a controversial health care law. Tea party really took off that year and conservatives were motivated while liberals were complacent as usual.

They ditched all of the Howard Dean policies that led to 2006 and 2008, it wasn't just Inevitability

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I feel like that's less than the money he made the RNC pay to use Trump brand real estate

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'd like to believe that Dem turnout will be way up in 2018 compared to 2014, because if two years of Trump can't motivate Dems to vote in downticket races then we're well and truly hosed

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

HorseRenoir posted:

I'd like to believe that Dem turnout will be way up in 2018 compared to 2014, because if two years of Trump can't motivate Dems to vote in downticket races then we're well and truly hosed

Never underestimate the democratic party in their ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

the next chapter of the trump university saga will come in however many weeks it takes journalists to notice that trump never pays the settlement, then.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

They ditched all of the Howard Dean policies that led to 2006 and 2008, it wasn't just Inevitability

It was pretty much inevitable. Dean was just there at the right time and 2010 would have been just as bad with him running things. Blue dogs were going down and there was nothing anyone could have done to stop it (unless McCain won in '08).

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Venuz Patrol posted:

the next chapter of the trump university saga will come in however many weeks it takes journalists to notice that trump never pays the settlement, then.

He'll try to pay it from the US budget.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Deans tenure brought us a whole bunch of the kind of people for whose blood this thread has been baying.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How does Sessions compare to John Ashcroft on the horrible scale?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Meatball posted:

He'll pay it from the US budget.

FTFY

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

kenner116 posted:

It was pretty much inevitable.

Counterpoint:

Donald Trump will be our next president. Inevitability doesn't exist and the Democrats failed due to their own incompetence. The sheer number of seats they have lost at every level is insane and cannot be chalked up to some "common sense" political wisdom

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Meatball posted:

He'll pay it from the USSR budget.

Of course, this depends on how well he blows Putin at their next meeting.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

I don't remember if Ashcroft had a particularly troubling history of allegations of racism before he became AG. Sessions sure does.

e: Oops, I forgot, there was the whole "accepting an honorary degree from Bob Jones University" thing for Ashcroft. So I'd say it's a wash, in terms of awfulness.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 18, 2016

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
:lol:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/799713058423615488

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

theblackw0lf posted:

Significantly worse.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
If you're not willing to support more conservative Jim Webb style Dems then don't bother trying a 50 state strategy again. You're not going to be electing any Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warrens in these districts.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Objectively way worse and undeniably Actually Racist

really hope he's not confirmed, start calling moderate repubs now. I have to imagine Rand Paul can be turned at least.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

the left coast is going to absolutely despise the feds, because you can guarantee that Sessions is going to send in the DEA to shut down their legal weed operations

the us prison population is about to absolutely EXPLODE. expect prison camps to come back in a big way cause there's no room for all the new bodies

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

HorseRenoir posted:

If holding your nose was an applicable strategy, we wouldn't have president trump to begin with.

It's on the candidates to motivate the voters.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

the black husserl posted:

the left coast is going to absolutely despise the feds, because you can guarantee that Sessions is going to send in the DEA to shut down their legal weed operations

the us prison population is about to absolutely EXPLODE. expect prison camps to come back in a big way cause there's no room for all the new bodies

And my decision to never smoke weed feels more and more like a good idea.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

it's bad

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cali is going to riot when Sessions tries to deport millions of people.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Majorian posted:

I don't remember if Ashcroft had a particularly troubling history of allegations of racism before he became AG. Sessions sure does.

ashcroft lost an election to a dead guy, lmao

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

kenner116 posted:

If you're not willing to support more conservative Jim Webb style Dems then don't bother trying a 50 state strategy again. You're not going to be electing any Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warrens in these districts.

Bingo. Now there's some wiggle room here, I think-- you can always give a candidate a certain amount of leeway in some areas ("ok, bob, you can film a spot where you literally shoot a gun at obamacare") while clamping the whip down hard when it comes to, say, voting for universal healthcare. But if you pull off a 50 state strategy you will necessarily have people across a much broader section of the ideological spectrum in your party. Dean gave us some of the blue dogs who made Obama's first couple of years in office harder than necessary, and who perished in the tea party blitz.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

if John Ashcroft was a kind of weird, christian hypersexualization of everything, type of creep, then Sessions is a kind of mint juleps on the front porch while watching your overseers beat a slave to death for your amusement type of creep

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

I was wondering if the for-profit prison industry is going to suddenly find a pile of minorities in it's prison which it will then use to replace all the actual labor being done by illegals. I mean if we're going full evil, massively increasing the prison population so you can use them for effectively slave labor is about right. Along with bombing Iran to drive up oil prices, or something else, which primarily benefits the energy industry and all those oil workers who are hurting with oil prices back down to a reasonable range.

Also I think "left coast" includes Colorado and Alaska at this point. I can't imagine a policy that would actually cause more young people to turn off to Trump and the modern Republican party than pissing all over legal weed.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Haha we are definitely going full evil

quote:

“Darkness is good,” says Bannon, who amid the suits surrounding him at Trump Tower, looks like a graduate student in his T-shirt, open button-down and tatty blue blazer — albeit a 62-year-old graduate student. “Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That’s power. It only helps us when they—“ I believe by “they” he means liberals and the media, already promoting calls for his ouster “—get it wrong. When they’re blind to who we are and what we’re doing.”

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

KomradeX posted:

By the sounds of it this is another Democratic establishment guy. So the Democrats have decided not to learn any lessons at all. Goddamn I was tally hoping to not have 8 years of Trump.

Van Hollen owns, maryland owns. Just gooogle him instead of posting your literal "dems didn't learn" garbage.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Yall are talking about democrats and republicans while an evil man in a dark tower (who controls the country) plots ways to make you and your children suffer. Just sayin'.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Business Gorillas posted:

If holding your nose was an applicable strategy, we wouldn't have president trump to begin with.

It's on the candidates to motivate the voters.

I think there's a marked difference between "vote or else the Republican will potentially do horrible poo poo in the future if they gain power" and "vote because the Republicans have power are doing horrible poo poo right now and only you can stop it". I think a lot of Dems (both leadership and voters) got complacent because Obama was in control and no one thought Hillary would lose. That's gone now and I'm not sure what's going to happen.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

wow Bannon is loving delusional-style evil.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If it makes you feel better, someone who unironically talks like that is probably a loving dullard who can never obtain po---oh right...lol nothing matters, death is certain, god is dead, gently caress this gay earth lololololol

Sigh.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

ashcroft lost an election to a dead guy, lmao

To be fair, the dead guy was running against John Ashcroft, so it was kind of hard for even him to lose.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yes hello heres my campaign CEO and apparent right-hand man: a Final Fantasy villain

Covok
May 27, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

yes hello heres my campaign CEO and apparent right-hand man: a Final Fantasy villain

Not even a good one like Kefka or Seiprohoth, but a lovely one like Garland or Seymour.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

I think there's a marked difference between "vote or else the Republican will potentially do horrible poo poo in the future if they gain power" and "vote because the Republicans have power are doing horrible poo poo right now and only you can stop it". I think a lot of Dems (both leadership and voters) got complacent because Obama was in control and no one thought Hillary would lose. That's gone now and I'm not sure what's going to happen.

I mean, resting on inevitability and the very minimum to be "Most Sane Choice" has kind of brought us here, a world where Trump is president

Mmmmmmmmmmmaybe we shouldn't gamble on figuring out how little we need to do to win

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Covok posted:

Not even a good one like Kefka or Seiprohoth, but a lovely one like Garland or Seymour.

"I, Bannon, will knock all the non-whites down!"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
okay, im gonna put my money on Bannon being the first to get shivved by the rest of the cabinet, because theres no way he doesnt creep the hell out of everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

okay, im gonna put my money on Bannon being the first to get shivved by the rest of the cabinet, because theres no way he doesnt creep the hell out of everyone else

B-but he worships satan!!! What if he uses his dark side force powers to force choke up with his satan magic!?

• Locked thread