Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Efexeye posted:

Anybody looked at the Tourism lens? Pretty decent info about how you're generating it there.

I mean it's kinda nice but why don't they tell me how much Tourism a wonder is worth before I build it? Why do I have to wait until I look at it on the lens? What about a holy city? Is there any indication of the fact that a holy city generates tourism unless you read the fine print on a couple of things that come much later? And it still doesn't tell you directly how "lifetime tourism" generates "visiting tourists" (I sorta understand it now by reading forums but this is information that should be right there in game).

I know Civ games have a habit of hiding important information from the player but this poo poo is on a whole new level. I've never seen a feature so pointlessly opaque yet so important to the game as the Cultural Victory condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Patch is good. I'm hoping that their speed along with the fact that there are still some glaring issues means that we will get more consistent updates that address things as they can fix them instead of their usual system of issuing one gigantic patch and then permanently ignoring any issues that patch didn't solve.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The AI seems slightly less suicidal but they still will backstab you at the drop of a hat no matter what your relationship is.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't mind diplomacy being trash as long as the AI can actually put up a decent fight in a war.

Sanctum posted:

Kind of unforgiving in situations where your economy tanks causing you to lose a unit every turn even if it's just -11 GPT. Running out of gold also adds a 2 amenity penalty to every city. The penalties for overfilled housing or just negative amenities aren't some self-fueling failure cascade like negative gold is. I hope they bring back gold for disbanding or change the negative gold mechanics.

Say early Gorgo declares a forever-war on you, you are spamming military units trying to finish her off for good before your cities revolt from war weariness, and then a trade route gets pillaged and you drop into negative GPT. Now you have cities revolting and lose a unit every turn. If you can't disband for flat gold to temporarily stop the revolts and unit losses that's gonna be a game over.

I like the change. Economics matter a lot in war and should play a role in this game as well. Never made sense that you could just delete units for gold out of the blue. At best they should have required you to be on your own land. There are probably better (and more complicated) ways to handle the economics of military units, but as it stands this feels like it's for the best.

Does anyone know if this change also means you can't sell Great Writers and such? Or is it only for military units?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Why don't you read the patch notes and find out
Not mentioned in the patch notes which I'm guessing means it isn't in?

No need to be a snide oval office, imo!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jBrereton posted:

Not mentioned in the patch notes which I'm guessing means it isn't in?

Good guess

The patch notes also didn't mention if it came with free ice cream and a trip to Disney World but I guess you'd better ask just to be sure.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gort posted:

Good guess

The patch notes also didn't mention if it came with free ice cream and a trip to Disney World but I guess you'd better ask just to be sure.

What if we would like Disney Land instead?

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Gort posted:

Good guess

The patch also didn't mention at least 1 thing that they added (pressing y for tile values) so how about not having a meltdown (word used 100% sincerely) over someone asking a question????????

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Guys, expecting another leader already is...wow. We're lucky to have gotten a patch within the first 6 months, and now you want more content? First Firaxis game, I guess...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Niwrad posted:

I don't mind diplomacy being trash as long as the AI can actually put up a decent fight in a war.

The problem with the AI being trash at diplomacy and being super duper prone to backstabbing is that it basically nullifies a whole lot of stuff that was added for political intrigue. Agendas, casus belli, espionage, basically Catherine de Medici are all worthless now because none of it matters because the AI will attack you regardless of how cool you are with them. I was kinda glad that they couldn't put up a decent fight in a war since it just meant that I didn't have to do too much to prepare for an inevitable betrayal.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Defending against and killing a spearman with a slinger doesn't appear to count as a eureka for archery :eek:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Efexeye posted:

Guys, expecting another leader already is...wow. We're lucky to have gotten a patch within the first 6 months, and now you want more content? First Firaxis game, I guess...

"Quotes from an orphanage, Volume 3"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Rakthar posted:

"Quotes from an orphanage, Volume 3"

I mean dude they haven't even released Monty to everyone yet, in what reasonable world do we get new leaders three weeks after launch

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

GrandpaPants posted:

The problem with the AI being trash at diplomacy and being super duper prone to backstabbing is that it basically nullifies a whole lot of stuff that was added for political intrigue. Agendas, casus belli, espionage, basically Catherine de Medici are all worthless now because none of it matters because the AI will attack you regardless of how cool you are with them. I was kinda glad that they couldn't put up a decent fight in a war since it just meant that I didn't have to do too much to prepare for an inevitable betrayal.
At least in this post patch game I was able to get my first alliance ever with Sumeria, even after he war dec'd on me earlier in the game but was really just doing it for show with Harald. I think the game AI promotes joint wars as a way to build up relationships with one buddy, even if the rest of the world hates them. One change I like over Civ V is that almost every civ you've been to war with is willing to bury the hatchet and resume good relations the moment the ink is dry on the peace treaty.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

How do you goons manage to found a religion on immortal or deity difficulty? Even if I rush for a prophet as hard as I can (after some slingers), I probably won't get one in time. When I do, my religion gets wiped out almost immediately by missionaries.

Is there a trick or a build order that works, or do you just let it go and disable religious victories?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Medium Style posted:

How do you goons manage to found a religion on immortal or deity difficulty? Even if I rush for a prophet as hard as I can (after some slingers), I probably won't get one in time. When I do, my religion gets wiped out almost immediately by missionaries.

Is there a trick or a build order that works, or do you just let it go and disable religious victories?

Running Holy Site Prayers once or twice allows you to catch up in great person points towards a prophet quite well.

I've only done this with Peter + dance of the aurora + holy sites on tundra, though, so YMMV. I don't know how the expected GP boost is calculated outside of a ridiculous setup where you have two holy sites each with a +7 faith adjacency bonus.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cheen posted:

how about not having a meltdown (word used 100% sincerely) over someone asking a question????????

:ironicat:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

My first Civ game was Civ 5 and to be honest Civ 6 is pretty stellar at launch compared to that, so I'm pretty happy with this game :)

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Aww man, no mac patch yet :(

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
The phrase "Miscellaneous polish" broke my brain for a second. Like they aren't even in the game yet, why are they being put on everything?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I noticed some polish, the little button you stab for next turn is now framed with a nice woodgrain texture :)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The little tech recommendation icons seem to either be new or more specific than they used to be.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they also added little '__ advisor recommends' icons to the tech and culture menus and production options

^efb

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Gort posted:

The little tech recommendation icons seem to either be new or more specific than they used to be.

They also sometimes recommend you research the tech you just finished researching:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Smirr posted:

They also sometimes recommend you research the tech you just finished researching:

It's a morale booster, letting you know you are ahead of the curve.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Which Civs are good for science? Going to go for a science victory while I should be working.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

The phrase "Miscellaneous polish" broke my brain for a second. Like they aren't even in the game yet, why are they being put on everything?

I was most baffled by the currency change from gold to złoty.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Which Civs are good for science? Going to go for a science victory while I should be working.

Brazil in a rainforest, China, and I've had good luck eschewing fighting and going techy with Barbarossa, too

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Speaking of rainforests, if you can get Chichen Itza built in a city that has one, it's incredible.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sanctum posted:

Kind of unforgiving in situations where your economy tanks causing you to lose a unit every turn even if it's just -11 GPT. Running out of gold also adds a 2 amenity penalty to every city. The penalties for overfilled housing or just negative amenities aren't some self-fueling failure cascade like negative gold is. I hope they bring back gold for disbanding or change the negative gold mechanics.

Say early Gorgo declares a forever-war on you, you are spamming military units trying to finish her off for good before your cities revolt from war weariness, and then a trade route gets pillaged and you drop into negative GPT. Now you have cities revolting and lose a unit every turn. If you can't disband for flat gold to temporarily stop the revolts and unit losses that's gonna be a game over.

That's true. If running negative gold, then disbanding units should provide gold, otherwise no. imo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Patch has some good changes, but the AI is still poo poo.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Efexeye posted:

Brazil in a rainforest, China, and I've had good luck eschewing fighting and going techy with Barbarossa, too

I just finished one as Barbarossa. As long as you keep up science wise you can out produce everyone with your hansa bonuses stacked right and bust out the spaceship components.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

:ironicat:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Peter could be a good one; if you rush faith and pick up the Jesuit Missions belief you can buy all science buildings for faith and save a lot of production/cash for other things.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Science is a really easy victory type. Any civ can do it well really. I've done some very culture focused games recently and I made sure to always build at least two campuses. Doing this kept me from not falling horribly behind in science while I focused on making GBS threads out theater districts and great artists.

Frankly if you go wide and build a campus in every city you'll be rolling in so much science you'll be launching your moon landing in the 18th century if you also have a high production city to back up your ridiculous science output.

This is one of my beefs with the game. I feel like I could win a science victory loooooong before a culture victory. Winning a culture victory can depend so much on some later game policies and is made significantly harder if someone else is seriously trying to win a culture victory too.

As for civs whose bonuses apply towards a science victory? Idk, Germany since they poo poo out production, Sumeria with their early improvements, anybody who gets bonuses to great people since more great scientists generally means more eurekas which means faster science progression so that would mean Russia is up there, Arabia too since they poo poo out more faith with more science and get more science from their religious building so they can straight up buy great people once they're rolling in faith.

I'm rambling, but a science victory is straight up build lots of cities, build campuses and industrial districts in every city, don't get conquered, win. You don't even really need any wonders to help you.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Is there a way to view my amenity counts/modifiers? You'd think that hovering over / clicking on the 'amenity +N' line on the city tab would do that, but lol.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Is there a way to view my amenity counts/modifiers? You'd think that hovering over / clicking on the 'amenity +N' line on the city tab would do that, but lol.

If you go to the "View Reports" button on the top bar, there is some more information in there about luxuries, but it doesn't make it clear exactly how they are distributed.

The mechanic is that each luxury resource provides +1 Amenity for up to four cities, and these are distributed to achieve the best average amenity bonuses.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 18, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
My Scythian glue factory :qq:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I'm getting a bit bored now. Even after the patch the game is still way too easy. If you establish a decent base position, fend off the first AI surprise attacks you can lean back and turtle your way to whatever victory you feel like without any challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Efexeye posted:

I noticed some polish, the little button you stab for next turn is now framed with a nice woodgrain texture :)

Also, my submarine has a screen door.