Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

The Phlegmatist posted:

Anne Hutchinson (16th cen. Puritan spiritual advisor in the Massachusetts Bay Colony) was one of my favorites. At one point she said that sinning was actually good, since if you felt guilt from sinning that meant you were regenerated by the Holy Spirit, and if you were regenerated by the Holy Spirit that meant you were one of the elect and were predestined to heaven. So sinning reminded you that you were heaven-bound so actually was in some ways preferable to not sinning. That's one of those "well, this is technically correct, but..." soteriological loophole things that I enjoy.

A viewpoint more recently espoused by a be-wimpled Robbie Coltrane in the 1990 British sex comedy Nuns on the Run:

Father Seamus: Tell me. Is celibacy just as difficult for a woman as it is for a man?
Charlie McManus: I wouldn't know... I must come clean, though, I, I had a man in my bed last night. All right. You see, the way I see it, sex is allowed.
Father Seamus: Ah, ha... ha!
Charlie McManus: No. No, it's the doctrine of original sin. You see, we're all born sinful, except for Jesus. who was perfect of course. And he was sent to save us. But how could he save us unless we're sinning? So we have to go on sinning in order to be saved and go to Heaven. That's how Christianity works. That's why it suits so many people.

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ya seriously, whats this big gay miracle

People guessed right: the attempt to disinter him and move his remains (but not those of his beloved) in preparation for his beatification, only to find that both had decomposed to nothing and thus, according to canon law, could not be legitimately moved.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bel_Canto posted:

People guessed right: the attempt to disinter him and move his remains (but not those of his beloved) in preparation for his beatification, only to find that both had decomposed to nothing and thus, according to canon law, could not be legitimately moved.

uh what

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Basically in his will, he insisted that he be buried alongside Fr. Ambrose St. John, the man with whom he lived for 32 years until St. John died. When Newman was to be beatified, the Catholic Church prepared to move his remains to the Birmingham Oratory, which he had founded. They notably did NOT include plans to move St. John's body, and when pressed on it, ecclesiastical authorities admitted that they planned to move only the one, in direct violation of the Cardinal's will. Their reluctance to do so was almost certainly due to the fact that Newman and St. John were, in the light of modern knowledge of such relationships, very likely two gay men in love with one another (though, it should be stressed, both chaste in accordance with their vows, as far as anyone can tell). Needless to say, a public monument involving two men who were each other's lifelong love did not sit well, so they went ahead and tried to dig up Newman, only to find that his coffin, and both of their bodies and clothes, had completely disintegrated. I consider this a miraculous intervention on Newman's part to prevent himself and his beloved from being separated for the sake of public relations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The procedural t-shirt generation algorithm strikes gold:

http://www.idakoos.com/calvinist-by-choice,929927

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

The procedural t-shirt generation algorithm strikes gold:

http://www.idakoos.com/calvinist-by-choice,929927

I'll take 10.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bel_Canto posted:

Basically in his will, he insisted that he be buried alongside Fr. Ambrose St. John, the man with whom he lived for 32 years until St. John died. When Newman was to be beatified, the Catholic Church prepared to move his remains to the Birmingham Oratory, which he had founded. They notably did NOT include plans to move St. John's body, and when pressed on it, ecclesiastical authorities admitted that they planned to move only the one, in direct violation of the Cardinal's will. Their reluctance to do so was almost certainly due to the fact that Newman and St. John were, in the light of modern knowledge of such relationships, very likely two gay men in love with one another (though, it should be stressed, both chaste in accordance with their vows, as far as anyone can tell). Needless to say, a public monument involving two men who were each other's lifelong love did not sit well, so they went ahead and tried to dig up Newman, only to find that his coffin, and both of their bodies and clothes, had completely disintegrated. I consider this a miraculous intervention on Newman's part to prevent himself and his beloved from being separated for the sake of public relations.

this owns super hard lol thank u for explaining to this dumb heretic

also i keep thinking about visiting the anglican church right near my house

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this owns super hard lol thank u for explaining to this dumb heretic

also i keep thinking about visiting the anglican church right near my house

I've said it before and admittedly it's a bit flippant, but there really isn't much substantive difference between mainstream Protestant denominations in America (Anglicans, Methodists, Lutherans, etc)

You should totally check out your local Anglican church, for everyday worship it's basically the same as ELCA Lutherans but with fancier ritual.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

I've said it before and admittedly it's a bit flippant, but there really isn't much substantive difference between mainstream Protestant denominations in America (Anglicans, Methodists, Lutherans, etc)

You should totally check out your local Anglican church, for everyday worship it's basically the same as ELCA Lutherans but with fancier ritual.

nah buddy i'm hip to that jazz. i grew up ELCA but i know we gots full communion with like literally millions of other peeprishioners. and the thing is the ELCA is very loose and supportive with how low or high your church is. i've gone to services that have the ol' triangle-ringing upon the blessing of the meal, and i've been to services where the pastor is a hipster dude in a jeans and t-shirt and all the wine is unfermented

although yes, i'm really curious about a more smells-n-bells experience. and i am curious about getting more into saints. i did actually go into the sanctuary of this episcopal church, spoiler alert. it was the wednesday after the election and they had a blackboard outside the door saying "oh hey you can come in and pray and stuff" and i was walking by there so i thought alright don't mind if i do. i go in and i see there is nobody else in the pews so alright, whatevs buddy, gonna sit in a pew and have a think for a bit. then my mind begins coalescing upon the fact that i have been hearing the same sound since before i entered the building. and it continues. then the fun part begins

eeeeeeeEEEEEeeeEEEEEeeE "NEXT"
EEEEEEeeeeEEEEEe "NEXT"
eeEeeeEeeEEeEeeEeEeEeEEEEEE "NEXT!!!!"

they were tuning the organ. very peaceful imo

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
For a milquetoast culture-protestant nation, we danes take our christian history seriously. poo poo seriously.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

...why was it in a bottle

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
doctors probably analyzing his poo poo

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

and i am curious about getting more into saints
for a first step, you can look up your name, figure out which saint you were named after, and read their hagiography. or the patron saint of your profession/something to do with your life history

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

for a first step, you can look up your name, figure out which saint you were named after, and read their hagiography. or the patron saint of your profession/something to do with your life history

well OF COURSE I was named for the loving tax collector, patron saint of bankers :eng99:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Of course I'm named for one of those saints that were struck from the calendar for being made up :colbert:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm named for a christian martyr who died strapped to another woman martyr, so i can only assume she'd be the patron saint of bdsm if it weren't for the fact they were apparently both virgins and it feels bad making a joke like that when part of why they were martyred is because they refused to be sent to a brothel. sex positivity requires consent after all and i doubt they'd consent to that joke

also i named myself for my favorite singer songwriter so i don't really care about this that much

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I was named for a terrible violinist,, and the saint my grandma decided would be my patron saint has no cool patronages other than of the diocese he founded :cripes: At least I could theoretically go to France and look at his head there, that's pretty cool

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
stop posting things that lead to your real names in this thread people, tias i am looking at you

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

The Patriarchate of Alexandria just restored the female diaconate! (link in Greek)

Translation from elsewhere, sadly I don't speak a lick of Greek posted:

On November 16 the Synod of aboriginal Patriarchate of Alexandria and All Africa continued its work under the chairmanship of His Beatitude Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa, Theodore Vstin Patriarchal Seat.

Speakers at today’s meeting were Ven. Nigeria Metropolitan k.Alexandros who developed the theme of fasting within the African reality and Ven. Cameroon Metropolitan. Gregory who omilise on the institution of Deaconesses the missionary field. Both rapporteurs presented with theological arguments the positions and proposals, was done no extensive discussion thereon.

On the subject of fasting decisions of the meeting will be announced shortly to the clergy and people of the spiritual jurisdiction of the Patriarchate by the Patriarchate Circulars.

On the issue of the institution of Deaconesses, it was decided to revive it and ordained bishops on tripartite committee for detailed consideration.

So yeah, that's super vague. Excited to see what they make of it!

e: in a comment section discussing this I was also referred to some remnants of the female diaconate that possibly, maybe have survived in the Carthusian order?

The website of the Carthusians posted:

After her solemn profession or perpetual donation, the nun can, if she wishes, receive the Consecration of Virgins. This is a special rite where the Bishop gives the nun not only the veil and ring, external signs of an indissoluble union with the divine Spouse, but also the stole. This confers on the recipient certain liturgical privileges the most significant of them being the proclaiming of the Gospel on certain occasions.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 18, 2016

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

System Metternich posted:

The Patriarchate of Alexandria just restored the female diaconate! (link in Greek)
e: in a comment section discussing this I was also referred to some remnants of the female diaconate that possibly, maybe have survived in the Carthusian order?

Wait till you hear about Abbesses like St. Hildegard von Bingen, using the miter and crozier and having jurisdiction over men!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

well OF COURSE I was named for the loving tax collector, patron saint of bankers :eng99:
and then you can pray to him for an easier financial situation, which you need help with right now.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
or pray to san romero for revolucion

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

i was named after a character in the hebrew scriptures :lol: but i will look into what saints there are for computermans and direct support staffs

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was named after a character in the hebrew scriptures :lol:
Those are saints as well, my man.

quote:

but i will look into what saints there are for computermans and direct support staffs
Isidore of Seville might be a good start, patron of the Internet.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was named after a character in the hebrew scriptures :lol: but i will look into what saints there are for computermans and direct support staffs

So was I. For being a gentile I actually sound pretty Jewish. It's something my boss and I connect on sometimes, she has a Hebrew first name and Polish last name. 100% gentile.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

St. Bonaventure is the patron saint of bowel problems. I think that's relevant to these forums at least.

Pray for us, o holy St. Bonaventure, that the ever-flowing diarrhea of shitposts may be uncharitable in character and humorous in nature. Glory be to GBS, and to FYAD, and to BYOB. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. Shitposts without end. Amen.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HEY GAL posted:

stop posting things that lead to your real names in this thread people, tias i am looking at you

i'm just straight-up named after an archangel... just like every other boy born in the year i was in an English-speaking country

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

St. Bonaventure is the patron saint of bowel problems. I think that's relevant to these forums at least.

Pray for us, o holy St. Bonaventure, that the ever-flowing diarrhea of shitposts may be uncharitable in character and humorous in nature. Glory be to GBS, and to FYAD, and to BYOB. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. Shitposts without end. Amen.

"rejoice, child of god, as saint bonaventure has clearly interceded on behalf of your posting"

this is what you were trying to say to me, right? heh

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

Isidore of Seville might be a good start, patron of the Internet.

I've always liked St. Lucy as patron of the Internet

she tore her eyes out

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

I've always liked St. Lucy as patron of the Internet

she tore her eyes out
:lol:

ed: st. goatse

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was named after a Viking scam artist :downs:

My Hebrew name is from one of the last Old Testament prophets.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

:lol:

ed: st. goatse

Can't find the patron saint of wedding rings

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It just so happens the saint I share a name with is also pretty much the patron saint of my profession / academic field.

It's an interesting coincidence (or is it :tinfoil:) since it's really unusual and unlikely for me to end up studying what I do, given where I grew up.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

Can't find the patron saint of wedding rings

Wham

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

TIL Andy Warhol was a practicing Eastern Catholic.

https://homodoxconfessions.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/bl-andrew-warhola-fool-for-christ/

quote:

Although Andy was perceived—with some justice—as a passive observer who never imposed his beliefs on other people, he could on occasion be an effective proselytizer. To my certain knowledge, he was responsible for at least one conversion. He took considerable pride in financing a nephew’s studies for the priesthood. And as you have doubtless read on your Mass cards, he regularly helped out at a shelter serving meals to the homeless and the hungry. Trust Andy to have kept these activities very, very dark.

(...)

“The artist who held the most revealing mirror up to his generation,” as Richardson called him, was in some sense Christian because he was queer, queer because he was Christian.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bolocko posted:

...he regularly helped out at a shelter serving meals to the homeless and the hungry. Trust Andy to have kept these activities very, very dark.
This is exactly what Jesus tells us to do! :)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

:yeah:

Srsly that's pretty cool.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
goon project: everyone itt do something cool, but keep it secret

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
There is no (recognized) Saint of my name. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

and yet you don't like it when priests ask why the poor don't have food....

• Locked thread