Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Highwang, you are a filthy individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
If you want to mainline an occultist safely (safely here is defined as a chance to save a death's door hero without risking a death's door check), it's relatively easy. The occultist, hellion, man at arms and houndmaster all have base 40% bleed resist. Base occultist heal has a bleed proc of 59%. The bleed charm (very common) and bloodied fetish (common) both have bleed resist of 20%. Slap one of those trinkets on everyone in a party made of those heroes and you have a 0% chance of bleeding your own guy. Blood charms (also common) at 30% open up the possibility of everyone except Leper and Plague Doctor (though if you've got a vestal, well, you probably ought to build the party around her unless you're doing profane scroll or something). Clotter if you can get it on someone also adds 15% bleed resist. There are also a bunch of better trinkets that modify bleed as well. Since bleed resist increases 10% per level(and bleed proc for wyrd does at 10% or less), using these means you can have your team be safe from incidental deathblows if they are at the same level or greater than your occultist.

Also, his heals average two better than the same level of Vestal, so you could just leave wyrd reconstruction two levels down and have basically a high variance vestal.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Those are the best. Have you checked his grave yet?

huh. Makes me wonder what the description is from a death caused by a Siren-controlled party member.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

the occultist is for True Ballers only

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Just pair the Occultist with an Arbalest. She's like the nurse to his chirurgeon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Just pair the Occultist with an Arbalest. She's like the nurse to his chirurgeon.

Added bonus: All their actual attacking abilities work great together, too.

Occultist and Arbalest are BFFs.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

I love how the caretaker looks like he's laughing at you.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Reading Oglaf does not make you a filthy individual.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Oglaf is a sign of good taste. *nods sagely* I almost want one of the Houndmaster's lines to be "You have no concept of Justice."

LP made me finally clear all the Veteran bosses. But Champion dungeons still go south so quickly. Ended up with like, 3 afflictions at the end of a Short. ;_; Probably need to make parties with a plan, rather than "Eh, they are around." Doesn't help most of my roster is 5+ now, so I can't even just play in the kiddie pool that much.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Of course I was right about barbaric yalp. :colbert:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang is wrong, as is his perogative: Lets Play Darkest Dungeon.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Red Hook Games posted:

We are using the term pain points as it better captures what we want to talk about, but this includes what I would assume many refer to as the grind. Rather than raise specific topics we are concerned with or where we think we might make adjustments, we’d like to hear you raise what you believe to be the issues without any real prompting from us beside the following:

Which parts, if any, of the Darkest Dungeon experience have caused you to stop playing before completing the game?

Red Hook is soliciting community input on Darkest Dungeon here (requires you to sign up to dd forums)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Since it was mentioned in the video, emulating Eternal Darkness apparently works perfectly fine aside from a few small configuration options you'll need to tick for some things.

Valahmalah
Jul 22, 2011

Who are you people?

Attestant posted:

I used to kinda scoff at Highwang's distaste of the Occultist as a healer. Until I just lost my great Abomination to his stupid heal. Abomination was at Death's Door, so I needed one those 30+ health crits. Instead I get served a 0-point heal. That manages to apply bleed. That then promptly procs Deathblow.

Thanks Occultist! :shepface:

Yeah all my deaths in my current run were due to the inconsistency of his heal, (that and every time I felt game against the shambler he was main healer). I tend to run him now as the main healer only with a team of self healers like the abom, leper and houndmaster. Usually with a MAA with an increased heal received trinket to funnel damage.

To the point of fun runs. You can get away with that poo poo in early and medium dungeons, but hard tends to punish you for futzing around. Your attempts at fun are also restricted around trinket drops, no profane scroll drop that battle maiden is severely gimped, and doing dark runs without the moon trinkets is a real shot in the dark.

To note on fun though my early attempts at an occultist, abom, abom, jester party was manageable, to the point where on my next new game want to test a full abom party. Transform and absolution all day long.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Valahmalah posted:

Yeah all my deaths in my current run were due to the inconsistency of his heal, (that and every time I felt game against the shambler he was main healer). I tend to run him now as the main healer only with a team of self healers like the abom, leper and houndmaster. Usually with a MAA with an increased heal received trinket to funnel damage.

To the point of fun runs. You can get away with that poo poo in early and medium dungeons, but hard tends to punish you for futzing around. Your attempts at fun are also restricted around trinket drops, no profane scroll drop that battle maiden is severely gimped, and doing dark runs without the moon trinkets is a real shot in the dark.

To note on fun though my early attempts at an occultist, abom, abom, jester party was manageable, to the point where on my next new game want to test a full abom party. Transform and absolution all day long.

I've basically been pairing my Occultists with my A-Bombs. Rest of my healing duties are on the usual Vestals, or ocassional competent self-heal parties. But now this dumb gently caress lost his Abomination, and I guess he's out of a job for a while! :argh:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Other fun classes to play with: Dark Jesters, Rank 4 Buff Man At Arms, Grenadier Plague Doctor.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Had my first 40k money run with two Antiquarians, a Vestal and a Man at arms on an easy difficulty long mission in the Cove.

Rank 2 "Protect Me" + Retribution = :getin: on those fishmans. Was kind of weak on rank 4 damage though, although I did get plenty of use out of the Antiquarian's blight incense and the vestal's judgement to take care of that problem.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Look what I just found!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Boksi posted:

Look what I just found!

man, I really wish there was a high-resolution version of that image. I wanna see that thing in its hosed up detail

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ZeroCount posted:

the occultist is for True Ballers only

Quoting this 'cuz I'm down. Two healing items and my team becomes unstoppable. Or feels that way at least. I don't know how the math works out but it feels like I get far fewer lovely-heal procs when I have +Healing gear

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
There are a few accessories that have minus bleeding chance as a drawback, and I'm pretty sure they reduce the Occultist's chance to gently caress over their own teammates.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Boksi posted:

Look what I just found!

Huh, console has exclusive trinkets?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

Of course I was right about barbaric yalp. :colbert:

Everything but the name it seems.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Attestant posted:

Huh, console has exclusive trinkets?

For now yes, I believe they're going to eventually be put in the computer version alongside the next expansion or something.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

For the interested, Darkest Dungeon is on sale on Steam for $14.99 USD until the 23rd.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 32: Leppy's Bizarre Adventure

We have another special guest join us today as we learn new and scary thing about the Cove, along with confirm the fact that I can't read.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang posted:

We have another special guest join us today as we learn new and scary thing about the Cove, along with confirm the fact that I can't read.

Critty Granola.

And Highwang continues to be bad at inventory management.

Amd he in fact had 2-3 inventory slots. Because he could have ditched the rest of his food and torches.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 18, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Fuuuck Artery Punch.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Attestant posted:

Fuuuck Artery Punch.

I think the Crusher is my most hated non-miniboss enemy I've encountered so far.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I met one way before this LP did, and I wasn't carrying enough bandages. I had to bail out early after I had someone lose all their blood.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Giant enemy crab used Artichoke.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I've already mentioned that this LP got me to buy the game, but that fucker was the first thing I encountered that the LP hadn't covered. Lost an occultist on that particular run and had to bail on the quest. Incidentally, I've been wondering why it has a steering wheel around its neck and toasters hanging off its sides.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

MVP Leppy Granola. Both of 'em.

And welcome to the Uca Crusher! Or, as Highwang would probably call it, the 'Woe Gusher', on account of how much grief they give you. These guys aren't as directly hard-hitting as you might think from their lumbering frame, but they can use Tidal Slam to stun and move the targeted adventurer to the back row and its Arterial Pinch will quickly turn your heroes anemic. Highwang is also correct in that its Arterial pinch not only causes bleed, but it can debuff to reduce healing by 33%, which is a gnarly combo if ever there was one. To top it off, they're a huge pain to put down thanks to their high hp pool and excessive Prot.

Highwang made this run look easy by bringing a houndmaster for -Prot and getting lucky with Leppy's crits; other party compositions/less lucky players would struggle more. Stuns and Blight tend to be of help in locking it down and dealing decent chip damage, but to some extent you'll always be wailing on it at the end of the fight. It's fair to say that the Uca Crusher has been the cause of many a hero's death and can easily make you to have to run away and fail your Cove run if you're not prepared to deal with it. Always bring bandages to the Cove to negate the ridiculous bleed this thing can cause.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Seems to me the Uca Crusher's mortal enemy would be the Plague Doctor, for the anti-bleed, stun, and blight. I didn't see during the video, but how do they react to being moved(if possible)?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Lazy Bear posted:

Seems to me the Uca Crusher's mortal enemy would be the Plague Doctor, for the anti-bleed, stun, and blight. I didn't see during the video, but how do they react to being moved(if possible)?

PD is good to bring just because you eventually run out of band-aids even when you max-stack them. Plus it frees up inventory slots for more food.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
PDs shine in the Cove and the Ruins since the enemies there usually have low blight resistance and low stun resistance. In addition, the PD's blight/bleed removal helps save inventory space in a few situations.

Then again, you can usually get by with 1-2 bandages max per fight with the Crushers. Not bringing enough means an extra 24-40 DoT. That's uh... yea.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Critical hits are 1.5x of the charater's max damage. So it ends up being about ~2.25x regular damage, assuming you're hitting around the middle of the damage range. Critical damage used to be 2x of whatever damage you rolled, but it was nerfed/reworked for both the player and the enemy.

Plague Doctors are excellent in the Cove overall. A lot of PROT, annoying backrow enemies you should stun, DoT removal, and so on. Plague Doctors shine when there's an enemy that slows fights down a lot, and there's no better example than the Uca Crusher.

Another option is to bring a Bounty Hunter and/or a Houndmaster and chain stuns and PROT reductions. This strategy also works on pretty much everything else in the game :v:

Halser fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 19, 2016

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Got this game on Steam due to the sale. Did all right the first ten weeks then week eleven I'm taking two rookies (a grave robber and bounty hunter) to the Cove for some easy level up. We fight a group of fishmen no sweat, and then bam the Collector! We damage him some and but then he summons two bandit heads and the first crits my jester (him and the vestal are my experienced guys) and he goes to deaths door. The other smacks him again. I try and save him with heals but then he gets hit again and dies. I then get into a protracted fight with the collector where my rookie bounty hunters fails a stress test and becomes abusive but we finally slay the bastard and I call it a dungeon, we'd only gone in two rooms :suicide:

Its still early, leveling up my scrubs and trying to get the hamlet up to spec!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

azren posted:

For the interested, Darkest Dungeon is on sale on Steam for $14.99 USD until the 23rd.

In addition to this, in the Roguelike thread over in Games madjackmcmad (developer of Dungeonmans) is running an altruistic feed the hungry giveaway, where, depending on how his D20 rolls you might win a copy of Darkest Dungeon:
http://dungeonmans.com/hungerclock/

The idea is you contribute $10 to alleviating hunger somehow and provide proof of it at the site above. You can say "I want game (x)" (out of the list at the site) and get a key for it, and you are entered into a pseudo-random draw (pfft like physical dice can even approach true random) that might net you one of the Darkest Dungeon keys on offer. Eh? Eh? $10 for a probably good game and a chance to win Darkest Dungeon? You guys should probably go for it.

The Sproggiewood/CoQ guys are involved too so you can ask for that key if that's what you're into.

EDIT-Link to his first post on the subject in the Roguelikes thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643&userid=136903&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post466293920

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yikes. The inventory management in that episode caused even me pain.

• Locked thread