Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Kaiden's backstory involves getting exposed to radiation

And I'm not talking about element zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Mission trivia:
- The choice at the end was supposed to carry over to ME3. There's actually recorded dialogue. Except it doesn't trigger because the choice flag wasn't handled correctly. You can use a save editor to enable it.

This is not the first or last time that something like this has happened. How did they test basic stuff like this so poorly?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Next Update's Ingredients
Rum
White Wine
Kirsch
Pineapple Juice

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Happy N7 Day thread

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Morrow posted:

This is not the first or last time that something like this has happened. How did they test basic stuff like this so poorly?

Maybe all their saves had him dead ("The vents are a suicide mission, I volunteer.")

Also it could have been a matter of ME2 not writing the bit out correctly or inconsistently, and nobody realized the issue until they had already recorded voice dialogue (and as they learned with Conrad Vernor in ME2, it's better to just avoid the callback rather than get player choice wrong.)

To be fair they get nearly all callbacks right; heck there's that ME3 sidequest that has a bunch of sidequests from ME1 (some of which were really obscure) come into play and it worked perfectly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Morrow posted:

Nobody at all cares about Jimmy, the devs included.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Morrow posted:

There were something like 280 initial save files when they tested ME3 for each possible choice and class across the games. Certain save files were tested more as well, depending on preference of the testers. Additionally, bug priority may have been lower for it, either because it was unimportant or way too difficult to recode. It was likely only discovered once ME3 was in development.

As for why it wasn't caught in ME2? Probably because event flag failures are harder to detect.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SgtSteel91 posted:

Happy N7 Day thread
In case you didn't know, a whole fuckload of info and some trailers dropped for Andromeda today and there's a thread in Games.

I applied to get into the MP beta :pray:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Niket in the bud

The Drink
Rescue
1 oz rum
2 oz white wine
1/2 oz kirsch
Pineapple juice

Add liquors to a shaker and combine. Pour over ice and add juice.

The Drinking Game
Drink every time someone says "kidnapped" or "rescued." Considering this week's events you may also want to drink the bottle of rum, wine, and kirsch just on general principle.

The Episode
Opening music reflects what I'd like to do right now. We help Miranda with her sister problems which involves shooting people. The interrupt is a good one but it hilariously bugged out so Shep's invisible. Sometimes your squadmates' guns are invisible too so they're just making pew pew motions while people die. That salarian's face though :aaa: And the "son of a bitch!" gets me every time.

Miranda gets sold out by her BFF and we meet possibly the snarkiest Asari ever. I brought Jack because she's the only person that has dialogue there, and it's funny. We interrupt Miranda and BFF gets gacked anyway so we kill everybody and then it's a happy ending. It's a pretty decent mission, humanizing a character who would be kind of unbearable otherwise. Unlike Jimmy Miranda is really useful if you aren't playing as a biotic and her bonus power is good as well. Her loyalty outfit is still stupid, but at least it doesn't look like someone murdered a soccer ball.

Off camera Thane's loyalty triggered so we have (almost) everyone's now and I think our P/R score is high enough to tackle whatever, so what do we want to do next?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I laughed at the drink music. Fitting considering this week :v:

Let's do Thane next

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah, so Jack really shouldn't be making fun of anyone else's clothing choices

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Ehm, what is the opening music?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The motif in the song comes up a lot in Mass effect 3 but I believe the specific track is "Leaving Earth".

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thesaya posted:

Ehm, what is the opening music?

Kurieg posted:

The motif in the song comes up a lot in Mass effect 3 but I believe the specific track is "Leaving Earth".
That's the one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQYTlZFz-M

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Ah. Watching this blind, it's no wonder I didn't know it then.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thesaya posted:

Ah. Watching this blind, it's no wonder I didn't know it then.
Yeah, it's definitely an in-joke for those familiar with the series. Sorry :v:

e: I didn't post an in-game video where the soundtrack is playing to avoid spoilers just for you, though!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I think one of the non-combat loyalty missions would be interesting to see.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I like Miranda, despite her bitchiness. Her writing definitely isn't the best in the series, but I find her a good example of how to let a character have flaws without destroying them.

I'll second doing Thane's job next. I played through ME2 with an Adept and took a Sniper as my extra weapon, so I found him rather redundant compared to biotic CC or better comp coverage. Would be interesting to see him in action.

Malah fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 14, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Hmm, well it seems my fatty ol' PS3 may be dying. Keeps locking up. Not bad considering I've had it for 7 years. Ordered a new one and it will be here in a couple of days. Please excuse the delay, I'll leave the poor baby off until I'm ready to back everything up.

*plays a mournful Taps on a kazoo*

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

An original PS3. A seven year old original PS3. Wow, how loud is that thing now.

Have your neighbors started complaining about mysterious invisible jets flying over?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Surprisingly she's never had a problem with running loud, except in conditions where you would expect it (summertime and I don't have AC for example). If it's less than 85 in the house she's whisper quiet.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Malah posted:

I like Miranda, despite her bitchiness. Her writing definitely isn't the best in the series, but I find her a good example of how to let a character have flaws without destroying them.

I'll second doing Thane's job next. I played through ME2 with an Adept and took a Sniper as my extra weapon, so I found him rather redundant compared to biotic CC or better comp coverage. Would be interesting to see him in action.

Thane's loyalty mission is 100% non-combat.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plus it has no hard Paragon/Renegade checks to beat if you want to get the best ending, IIRC.

Or triggers any fights with him and another squaddie as soon as you do both of their missions.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Regalingualius posted:

Plus it has no hard Paragon/Renegade checks to beat if you want to get the best ending, IIRC.

Or triggers any fights with him and another squaddie as soon as you do both of their missions.
Yeah there's one P/R check (well ok, it's just an R check) that's kind of a bitch to get but it doesn't affect the ending in any way. And Thane's is the one I was recording when the PS3 decided to spaz the gently caress out so that'll be up next. New PS3 gets here today.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

Hmm, well it seems my fatty ol' PS3 may be dying. Keeps locking up. Not bad considering I've had it for 7 years. Ordered a new one and it will be here in a couple of days. Please excuse the delay, I'll leave the poor baby off until I'm ready to back everything up.

*plays a mournful Taps on a kazoo*

Lucky yeah. I also got mine 7 years ago and mine pretty much died at 5 when it stopped reading disks.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I finished ME1 and clocked ME2 as well, making a start on 3. I liked Miranda at first (especially since there's a considerable dearth of decent Aussie accents in any media), but once my Paragon Male!Shepard turned against Cerberus after finding out about all the horrifying poo poo they did, she turned into an utter bitch to the point that I dearly wanted to toss her out the airlock.

My Shep, like Subpont's, is also #TeamLiara and I tried to keep it up for the sake of consistency even though ME2's story kind of gets in the way. I like Liara because she's so pretty and adorkable and there's a badass heart underneath the gentle nerdy exterior. Plus, there's far too many fanbrats and fanfic writers who are #TeamTali despite the obvious problems that a human-quarian romance would entail.

hard counter posted:

Lucky yeah. I also got mine 7 years ago and mine pretty much died at 5 when it stopped reading disks.

I got my PS3 used, so I don't know exactly how old it is, but it's a 'slim' version with the sliding door on the top, so it's not terribly old. Only crashes when I've been playing for hours on end and barely makes a noise.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My issue with the Tali romance is that it isn't romance, it's Shep taking advantage of an emotionally traumatized young woman. It is creepy as all gently caress, well beyond the implied "little sister" relationship between Shep and Tali.

And yes, I'll admit it - I liked Miranda as a character. Her introduction is one of the worst of any VG character I can remember but if you take the time to delve in to her backstory she has pretty coherent motivations. That said, it may be me projecting my own childhood a bit.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

grack posted:

My issue with the Tali romance is that it isn't romance, it's Shep taking advantage of an emotionally traumatized young woman. It is creepy as all gently caress, well beyond the implied "little sister" relationship between Shep and Tali.

And yes, I'll admit it - I liked Miranda as a character. Her introduction is one of the worst of any VG character I can remember but if you take the time to delve in to her backstory she has pretty coherent motivations. That said, it may be me projecting my own childhood a bit.

You're a woman cloned from your father's genome with a twin sister who's actually a decade or more younger than you?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Miranda's backstory is that her father treated her as something to further his own reputation and earn him prestige with little to no thought given to how it actually affected her. She straight up said that her childhood was virtually a nightmare because she had no friends, no real family life and was pushed to meet impossible goals and do things that benefited only her father.

Then, when she was old enough she reached out to Cerberus to escape and they helped her, so she feels a great deal of loyalty to the organization even if she doesn't always agree with what they do.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

tribbledirigible posted:

You're a woman cloned from your father's genome with a twin sister who's actually a decade or more younger than you?
Uh, isn't everyone here? :confused:

e: New PS3 arrived I serendipitously had the 1tb I yoinked out of my PS4Pro so I swapped that in and right now it's installing ME2. I have to work my second job tonight and I'm going out of town for the weekend but we should be up and running again shortly :woop:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:toot:

grack posted:

Miranda's backstory is that her father treated her as something to further his own reputation and earn him prestige with little to no thought given to how it actually affected her. She straight up said that her childhood was virtually a nightmare because she had no friends, no real family life and was pushed to meet impossible goals and do things that benefited only her father.

Then, when she was old enough she reached out to Cerberus to escape and they helped her, so she feels a great deal of loyalty to the organization even if she doesn't always agree with what they do.
The fact that he probably designed her looks makes it infinitely creepy. Is her dad in the games industry?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Poil posted:

:toot:

The fact that he probably designed her looks makes it infinitely creepy. Is her dad in the games industry?

Not "probably"; Miranda tells Shep straight up that everything about her genome is designed to give her an advantage. She's literally custom-designed to be super-smart, super-fast, super-strong, super-biotic and super-fuckable. If she's not a perfect human, she's pretty damned close.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

ScreamingLlama posted:

Not "probably"; Miranda tells Shep straight up that everything about her genome is designed to give her an advantage. She's literally custom-designed to be super-smart, super-fast, super-strong, super-biotic and super-fuckable. If she's not a perfect human, she's pretty damned close.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Buck teeth and an inferiority complex that would shame a Reaper

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Buck teeth? I'm not seeing it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I don't think Miranda has buck teeth, though she does have an underbite.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ScreamingLlama posted:

Buck teeth? I'm not seeing it.

Yeah but with the inferiority complex do you think she wouldn't believe that?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I always find it funny that for someone designed to have perfect everything and to have the edge over everyone...she still has nothing on your other biotics

Lawson hosed up, with BOTH daughters depending on how you let ME3 play out :v:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Aces High posted:

I always find it funny that for someone designed to have perfect everything and to have the edge over everyone...she

is nothing like Wrex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aces High posted:

I always find it funny that for someone designed to have perfect everything and to have the edge over everyone...she still has nothing on your other biotics

Eh, I'd say she's implied to have better biotics than Jansen and Thane. She's only really outclassed by your powerhouses, a(nother) science experiment and a millennia-old asari or her spooky monster daughter

• Locked thread