Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

d0s posted:

it's weird that thing thing that bothers me the most is the really thick control panel, the stick has like no clearance and must be uncomfortable as hell to use

My favorite thing is the visible sideways Acer logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

UnhandledException posted:

How much of a problem would it be to convert to S-Video or composite with this?

You would need some kind of video encoder that takes RGB/SCART and converts to those formats. Do you not have anything that takes component video? I use this for everything SCART and it works great http://www.ebay.com/itm/291814589688

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

You would need some kind of video encoder that takes RGB/SCART and converts to those formats. Do you not have anything that takes component video? I use this for everything SCART and it works great http://www.ebay.com/itm/291814589688

So, to confirm, it routes the RGB video from the JAMMA connection out through the SCART port on it, correct?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

So, to confirm, it routes the RGB video from the JAMMA connection out through the SCART port on it, correct?

it has both a scart port and screw terminals for RGB that you can wire up anything you want to

e: that's actually pretty convenient for streamers, thinking about it

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

d0s posted:

Thanks. I might have to wait for a board that has it built in. I do like their Neo Geo to Genesis controller adapters, though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

UnhandledException posted:

Thanks. I might have to wait for a board that has it built in. I do like their Neo Geo to Genesis controller adapters, though.

yeah this is pretty much the big issue with superguns, the video encoder is the most expensive part, which is why all the ones with nice friendly video outputs cost hundreds of dollars

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Turbinosamente posted:

Open up Oracle of Ages and look for broken solder joints around the chips on the board with a magnifying glass. Then reflow the busted joins (or all of them if you really feel like it). I've had it happen to two GBC games myself and I hear its common to happen to Ages and Seasons specifically too.

Yeah, It's looking like I'll have to do that. Need to get one of those tools to open the back and get in there and hopefully fix it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I bought a CRT in TYOOL 2K16.

Posted it the local retro collecting group but neglected the thread. Have some sweet scanlines from a PVM I got this morning.

https://imgur.com/a/dTTUd

Not I gotta fix the bum one I got from eBay. I have truly found a new and exciting way to electrocute myself. :negative:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's the goon approved general arcade stick for a supergun? At this point arcade collecting is more or less cheaper than the console games I want.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

the thing that's always surprised me about pvms is how good a ps2 over component looks on them.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

What's the goon approved general arcade stick for a supergun?

If it's going to a neo-geo port I'd say wire up whatever stick you like, aside from rare and expensive sigma sticks there's not really anything great that uses that port natively.

edit: a regular Neo-Geo AES stick (not the newer kidney bean POS) is Good Enough for most people, assuming you're not doing anything that requires 6 buttons. It's not arcade quality but it's a functional and trouble free stick.

edit2: there are also cheap PS/PS2 to neogeo adapters so you can use your Hori RAPs or whatever

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 18, 2016

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I bought a CRT in TYOOL 2K16.

Posted it the local retro collecting group but neglected the thread. Have some sweet scanlines from a PVM I got this morning.

https://imgur.com/a/dTTUd

Not I gotta fix the bum one I got from eBay. I have truly found a new and exciting way to electrocute myself. :negative:

Nice, I've got the same one. 14L5 is a great model. I'm still hoping I can find a 20L5.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Is there any way to buy a model 2 VA4 Genesis? I've been scouring eBay and looking at / requesting pictures but I haven't had any luck yet. Local shops all seem to have VA1 or VA3.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

URL grey tea posted:

Is there any way to buy a model 2 VA4 Genesis? I've been scouring eBay and looking at / requesting pictures but I haven't had any luck yet. Local shops all seem to have VA1 or VA3.

You could put up a WTB ad in SA-Mart, or on one of the bigger enthusiast boards (SHMUPS, maybe?). Otherwise, you'll either have to pester the hell out of sellers and hope they're willing to respond and go to the trouble, or roll the dice on various purchases. I think the VA4 version of the Model 2 had a short motherboard that didn't expand out under the ventilation slots, if that helps? I could be wrong, and not really care if I am, since I have no love for the Model 2 Genny anyway :colbert: .

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I have yet to boil my NES 72 pin connector and my Sega Genesis is shot.
Is anyone familiar with DK Oldies? My girlfriend found them I think because she's looking for a Genesis for me. Though, being in Brooklyn, I don't know why she's not thinking of Video Games NY (or some other NYC place you goons know of)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I hadn't seen this before: a former Tengen programmer uploaded video of the prototypes of Peter Pack-Rat and Marble Madness for the PC-Engine, and I'm dying. That hardware and the Atari System 1 look like they'd have been a match made in heaven.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

The Merkinman posted:

I have yet to boil my NES 72 pin connector and my Sega Genesis is shot.
Is anyone familiar with DK Oldies? My girlfriend found them I think because she's looking for a Genesis for me. Though, being in Brooklyn, I don't know why she's not thinking of Video Games NY (or some other NYC place you goons know of)

Gotham City Games in Bay Ridge.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

al-azad posted:

At this point arcade collecting is more or less cheaper than the console games I want.

Absolutely not. For the arcade master race (shmups) pretty much every worthwhile one is Earthbound prices (and thensome) now. The $150-200 it costs for X360 Pink Sweets/Muchi Muchi Pork is nothing compared to what you'd pay for both those PCBs. Even older stuff like Toaplan, Irem, and Konami are several hundred apiece.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

SnatchRabbit posted:

Gotham City Games in Bay Ridge.
By far the closest option, thought they couldn't even fix my Genesis <:mad:> Well it was more that they didn't call me back when they were done trying....

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

URL grey tea posted:

I think I have two VA4s if those are the ones with the stubby motherboard visible from the bottom. I'm actively using one now but the reset button doesn't work, I need to tshoot this first to see if I need to switch to the other. No promises on a timeline here I guess, but maybe later.

On a genesis topic, these showed up in the mail! $70 for the pair on ebay seemed fair to me. One has a slight tear on the cover, the other has a rental-style photocopy manual, but honestly I like that type of throwback.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Can anyone link me to a known good RGB scart cable for the Wii that isn't too expensive? I bought one on eBay that claimed to be real RGB, but of course it's just composite through the scart plug.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So there's not some secret website I need to go to that would have PS1 manuals in greater supply than eBay, right?

Pox on me for needing one for Einhander and one for Koudelka.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Einhander is so, so good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Einhander is so, so good.

You can catch one of the ships as a monster in World of Final Fantasy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Phantasium posted:

You can catch one of the ships as a monster in World of Final Fantasy.
It's a boss in Final Fantasy XIV's "Keeper of the Lake" dungeon, too.

Though I think it's an organic monster, and not a piloted ship of sorts.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RichterIX posted:

Saw this on local craigslist and thought of you guys :-*

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/vgm/5846837040.html

"Hey are there any good games that use more than one fire button?"

"Nah I can't think of any either."

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Einhander really needs to get released on psn. I didn't like it when I came out, but that was before I got into shmups.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I lost my Einhander disc ages ago :( I still have the empty box.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Dave posted:

I lost my Einhander disc ages ago :( I still have the empty box.

Would you happen to want to sell the manual?

Stupid pseudo rental copy I bought a long time ago just has the front page of a manual ripped out so I kept forgetting I didn't have a complete copy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Absolutely not. For the arcade master race (shmups) pretty much every worthwhile one is Earthbound prices (and thensome) now. The $150-200 it costs for X360 Pink Sweets/Muchi Muchi Pork is nothing compared to what you'd pay for both those PCBs. Even older stuff like Toaplan, Irem, and Konami are several hundred apiece.

I reiterate. At this point arcade games are more or less cheaper than the console games I want.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Anybody have any experience with the Revo K101 Plus? As a game boy advance replacement? It's well reviewed and much cheaper than a new in box SP.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

al-azad posted:

I reiterate. At this point arcade games are more or less cheaper than the console games I want.

Such as? Please include prices. Just curious.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

I don't know why she's not thinking of Video Games NY

if she's smart it's because that place is a ridiculously overpriced scam house

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Such as? Please include prices. Just curious.

Dead of the Brain 1 + 2, currently 63,000 yen Yahoo Japan.
Keio Flying Squadron 2, $200-ish for PAL copy
Spriggan Powered, 25,000 ish yen
Rondo of Blood, $250-ish
Germs: Nera wa reta machi, never seen this on sale but someone is selling the cd spine from the case for 2800 yen so I can only imagine.
Manic Game Girl, a Korean PS1 game. Have no idea how to get my hands on it so it could be super cheap idk
DicingKnight, there's like one $800 copy on eBay. I sold mine years ago and now I'm kicking myself.
I wouldn't mind owning a 64DD just to play with it
Elevator Action Returns, $200-ish
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru, like $600+ I'm just going to stop listing Saturn games!

That's just top of my head. I'm done buying physical console games. I own all the ones that mean something to me and for everything else emulation or flashcarts work just fine. If I buy something in the future then it's absolutely esoteric or rare. A game I want to take a deep dive with instead of a "I'm bored, what can kill 10 minutes?"

Arcade games represent a field I'm generally unfamiliar with and owning a few boards or carts will satiate my hunger to have something I can endlessly tinker with.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah there is tons of arcade stuff that is still totally affordable, even a bunch of good shooters. I have 17 boards not counting MVS carts and most of them were under $100. Most of the games I have never even made it to consoles or did so in extremely gimped fashion. I agree with al-azad that buying expensive console games now is kind of pointless unless you just enjoy collecting for the sake of it as there are flash carts and CD burning solutions that give you a 100% authentic experience on real hardware, for the vast majority of arcade games that's impossible (though there are great MVS multicarts and some solutions for other systems like taito g-net).

al-azad, get an account on klov forums and browse their selling forum and make want ads, that's where the deals are if you're in the US. shmups forum (even if you're not looking for shmups) and neo-geo forum (even if you're not looking for neo-geo) also have pretty good markets for general arcade stuff.

edit: can I just mention that I hate that snobbery of "worthwhile shooters" being the same 10 cave/raizing games that cost ridiculous money? there is so much more to that world than those games.

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 19, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

d0s posted:

edit: can I just mention that I hate that snobbery of "worthwhile shooters" being the same 10 cave/raizing games that cost ridiculous money? there is so much more to that world than those games.

Same. They're no longer jerking it over ProGear so the rest are all forgotten, dicks out for anything Cave or Raizing, not a poo poo given for the underappreciated fun Hacha Mecha Fighter. Even the Konami boards that used to go for a lot, not a poo poo given. What's that, a mint Xexex for $60? Keep it.

Cheaper Seibu Kaihatsu games for the rest of us with decent taste. If I get a cab or supergun I need Raiden DX back.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shadow Hog posted:

It's a boss in Final Fantasy XIV's "Keeper of the Lake" dungeon, too.

Though I think it's an organic monster, and not a piloted ship of sorts.

Yeah, it's a big rear end bird carrying a large minigun that he swaps out periodically.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Oh, wow, that's the game I saw in Chuck E. Cheese 25 years ago that I couldn't remember the name of. I can practically smell the grease on the cheese pizza. Thanks.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

evobatman posted:

Can anyone link me to a known good RGB scart cable for the Wii that isn't too expensive? I bought one on eBay that claimed to be real RGB, but of course it's just composite through the scart plug.

If you don't live in the UK, you don't have an option. All NTSC Wii's only ouput composite or component. You can get a converter for Component to SCART though that should work on your monitor if yours doesn't have any component ports but does support the standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Hi retro thread, long time no see.

With the recent sale, I bought a bunch of PS1 games on PS3's PSN. I've only played the PS1 RPGs on that so far but I bought some action games too like Mega Man X4. However I noticed while playing that there's a solid third of a second of input lag. I've spent about two hours trying different options on my console and TV (which has no "game mode" or anything like it) and different cable hookups and nothing seemed to make a difference. It's not a huge deal for RPGs but I did always feel like they were ever so slightly sluggish. MMX4 honestly feels unplayable to me, I can barely dash jump with any precision. I went back and tried some RPGs again and, sure enough, it's there too if I'm looking for it. With all the research I'm doing I can't real find any consistent info other than "yes, PS1 classics on PS3 have input lag". SHMUP and fighting game people just can't seem to agree if it's just the TVs, the console itself, if it's fixable or not, etc. Anyone here happen to know anything about it? I don't have a working PS1 or PS2 right now and gently caress if I want to get into PS1 collecting after having bought about 30 games for $40. It's pretty disheartening that they feel this bad when it's a game that requires any real response time. :(

• Locked thread